Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

Default Workout DVDs

Ok so I have been reading the suggestions on my Wii post (thank you BTW)and now I am thinking the DVDs might be the way to go for now. I heard that the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels is a good one. Any other suggestions? Nothing too crazy since I have quite a way to go before I start going full throttle lol..
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I enjoy the "Melt it off with Mitch" program that uses a light medicine ball.

I also am doing the P90X videos but those are extreme. Still, if I can do them, anyone can. IMO.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #3  
~Kim~

Do you have Netflix Instant? They have a bunch of workouts on there. It's a great way to try out a bunch of different ones without having to buy them first. I like anything with Ellen Barrett.

One of my favorites that I own is a 10 minute solutions workout. It's Knockout Body with Jessica Smith. It came with weighted gloves and it's a good workout that's not too hard and kind of fun.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #4  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Fitness DVD's are a great place to start! I highly recommend anything put out by Jillian Michaels. 30 Day Shred is good, but her newer one, Ripped in 30 is WAY BETTER! Level 1 is a kick-a$$ workout but is totally do-able and she spends the time teaching the basics. The rest of the levels really build off of that. It also has 4 levels while 30 DS only has 3, so you're getting an extra workout for the $$.

Also, if you have Comcast, check out ExerciseTV on demand. There are TONS of fitness videos on there for free. It doesn't always have full versions of everything, but it might give you a feel for what DVD you want to actually buy.

Have fun!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #5  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I started off doing Leslie Sansone's WATP workouts. I think her workouts are a great place to start. I think there are even some ondemand on Exercise TV/Cable.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I used Yoga: Just My Size with Megan Garcia to get into yoga.

I loved the Walk Away The Pounds series. Especially as a way to transition into regular exercise. It was low impact, and you don't need a lot of room, because it's mostly just walking to a beat, but you can still work up a sweat.

I also admit to liking many old Richard Simmons videos
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #7  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm another big fan of Leslie Sansone's dvds. I started out doing The Firm dvds, but at 225 pounds, I soon realized those were wearing me out to the point that I was dragging through the day because my muscles couldn't recooperate fast enough.

So I switched to Leslie's 3-mile walk dvds, and let me tell you, if you give it your all, you will be dripping sweat at the end of those 3 miles. I make it a little tougher by incorporating my arms in every move, even if she's just walking in place. For example...I'll do overhead presses, tricep extensions and biceps curls while I walk in place to burn more calories and to help tone up my arms (one of my problem spots) even more.

Good luck to you!
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Jillian's workouts are good, but she does alot of jumping around and alot of up and down which you may not be ready for. Jari Love's Original Get Ripped (pink cover) is a good all weights workout and has a decent section explaining each of the harder moves. You could add Leslie or just regular walking outside for cardio.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Walk away the pounds are really good and a good way to start. I have enjoyed cruising on netflix and trying different videos/ styles to experiments with different types. I also really like Gilad videos. Start slow and build up so you feel like you are getting stronger, not wiped out.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Not sure what you are looking for but here is a link:
http://www.collagevideo.com/
They have tons of DVDs with information and videos to check out. You don't have to order there, most of them are available in store or on Amazon too. But I thought it is great that you at least can peek a bit before buying the DVDs.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/194/145

Height: 5'4"

I second Leslie's Walk Away the Pounds. These are great beginner workouts. Also, like I mentioned in your Wii post, Turbo Jam is a really fun workout. There is a 20 minute work out thats long enough yet you have fun once you get the moves down, and you can always follow the low impact modifications shown.
fatsincebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #12  
Go Hard!

S/C/G: 227.4/132/127.4

Height: 5'0"

Billy Blanks Tae Bo. There are tons of variations of these out there that he has come out with over the years. Totally doable for beginners if you just take it at your own pace and they are fun!

I also love Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper DVDs. Bob's are definitely VERY tough though.
SC Vitamin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I mentioned WATP on the other thread, but wanted to also second the idea of using On Demand if you have it - they have tons of different ones on there, including WATP and Jillian Michaels and others that people have mentioned. You can try before you buy, plus if you don't want to buy DVDs, there is plenty of variety to keep you going.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #14  
Completely INSANE

S/C/G: 180/130/120

Height: 5'4"

I am absolutely in LOVE with Shuan T's INSANITY... I am not gonna lie it is intense and hard as HECK but it is a GREAT total body cardio conditioning program. This is honestly one of the first programs I had ever tried and it has completely changed my life.

Two weeks in I finally evaluated my diet and made some major and drastic changes that up until that point I had dismissed... and 5 days ago I quit smoking. This is honestly the first time in my life that I have whole heatedly been into making a complete lifestyle change... and I am absolutely LOVING it! I feel like a whole new person, and I am getting to where I want to be one step at a time!

For me with Insanity.. at first I was like there is no flipping way I can do this... but once I realized there was no way I would be able to go at their pace that's when I listened to Shaun and "went at my own pace". I just try to get through the whole video doing the best I could pushing myself at my own pace... my results have been spectacular so far! I am at week 4 of month one... For the first time in MY WHOLE LIFE I can see myself being in shape... and no longer being the cute funny chubby girl....

I know I won't get to where I want to be with one round (63 days) and I am ok with that. It might take me two or three... but I'm gonna get there!!!

When I get to the end of this round I might go right into another but I may switch to p90x do a round of that then go into round 2 of Insanity.
Melissa Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 161/139.3/140

Height: almost 5'3"

I totally second TooManyDimples' suggestion of Ellen Barrett's vids on Netflix Instant. My go-to is her Bikini Ready Fast. Very pretty setting on the beach, challenging if you use the right weights, and I don't find her or the music that annoying (which can be a problem for me).
tab11 is offline   Reply With Quote