Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #1  

Default Suggestions for setting mini goals

Hi everyone! I have 50 lbs to lose. I have failed miserably many times before. I know I should set mini-goals for myself, but I'm wondering the best way to do this... what has worked for others? 2 mini-goals of 25 each? 5 mini-goals of 10 lbs each?

It might sound like a silly question to someone who hasn't struggled with weight before, but I'll bet some of you understand my dilemma. I really want to make it work this time, and maybe looking at 50 pounds at once is just too difficult. Any advice is appreciated!
sunflowers8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #2  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I go by whatever number inspires me the most right now. If that number is 3 lbs away, then that's my mini goal. I do keep larger goals, such as 15 or 20 lbs, which are more like milestones which I celebrate
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I have a lot to lose, so I'm giving myself a big reward every 25 pounds - a bead for my Pandora bracelet. But I have lots of mini goals - weights that end in a 0, old clothes that haven't fit in a long time, buying a piece of clothing in the next size down. I am not setting timelines for any of my goals - I am just following my plan as best I can, and celebrating each one as it happens. I did buy a pair of ridiculously unpractical shoes - 4 1/2 inch purple platform sandals. They were only $12, so I called them a 40-pound reward. Unplanned, but now the shoes have special meaning to me.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

It's not a silly question, I wondered the same when I started This might be a little alien to you, but I think of my weight in two forms: stones & lbs, and just lbs. Example: right now I'm at 229lbs, which is 16st 5lbs. (14lbs to a stone). My mini goal is to get under 16st, which will take me to 223lbs. Then my next mini goal will be to get under 220, then I'll be shooting to get to 15st (210).

Sorry if that's far too confusing for you, but it's how I do it!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Choose whatever goals are going to keep you looking forward, but not TOO far apart so that you get discouraged.

Why not start out with 5 or 10 pounds? Whichever sounds better. Forget the rest of the weight for now, and just focus on those first 5 or 10 pounds. When you reach your first mini-goal, then look back and access. If it was a little too much, then cut it into smaller goals. If it was just right, then keep going forward with another 5 or 10 pounds.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I like to set minigoals based on events. That way I can put up the cute holiday tickers and they match up with certain challenges. I'm currently working on one for back to school.

It's probably not the best thing for you to pick minigoals that are half of what you want to lose- if you pick smaller ones, you can celebrate more often!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 161/147/130

Height: 5'5.5"

At weight watchers we focus on losing 5% of your starting body weight (not lbs to lose) and then 10%. Once I lost 10% of my body weight I set the same goals for myself again -- 5% and then 10% of the new lower weight.

The losing process has taken me longer than I thought it would but I have not felt deprived, still enjoy wine, sweets and french fries, and exercise moderately - mostly just walking. Had I been more militant with myself I know I would have given up a few weeks after starting.

You can do this!

Last edited by kidjng; 08-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.
kidjng is offline   Reply With Quote