Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default What a wimp!

That is what I am thinking about myself right now. For several days, at this time of day, I start having a craving for something sweet. I have been giving into temptation and hitting the vending machine. It has to stop! So today, I am fighting that urge. Posting here seems a good strategy. Now, I will get back to work and try to forget that vending machine. I feel so weak and like such a wimp!!

What do you do to distract yourself from cravings and temptations? Tell us about some of your strategies.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

Ooh this is a hard one... Honestly... I sometimes give in. I believe in everything in moderation. I just account for it and move on. I can't beat myself up over it. Now if it is something I keep craving and it is holding me back I have to just cut it out completely. After a few days I won't crave it anymore.
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I am a deeply lazy person so one thing that helps me is to have something on-hand that is on plan and easier to get to than the vending machine.

So, for example, if I have an apple in my office, I can eat that, because even though it's not as good as whatever is in the vending machine, it's there and doesn't require getting up and walking down to the vending machine.

Beyond that, I'm afraid all I have is my will, my desire to be stronger than my tantrumming inner three-year-old. I say "no!" to myself a lot.

When you find yourself heading to the vending machine, consider every step as an opportunity to get a hold of yourself and turn around. We all give into impulses now and again, but when you think about it, hitting the vending machine is more than giving into an impulse - it takes a sustained effort of at least a few minutes to walk over there, put the coins in, make your selection ... each of these is an opportunity to snap out of it and make a better choice. You can do it!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I'm proud of you for not going today! Today is the day you won out over the vending machine!!! Good for you!

When I think about junk food that I know I would be eating out of boredom and not hunger, I take a big drink of water. I'll either get sick of taking drinks or my mind will wander onto something else eventually.

I also keep myself to a strict rule...if it's not in my lunch bag I can't have it! Some days that rule really bites the big one!!!

Last edited by PreciousMissy; 08-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #5  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

It depends on what's working for me at that time. Sometimes, pictures of super-obese people help. Sometimes, me at a smaller weight help. Other times, posting on here and/or reading about other people's struggles and successes help.

I am horrible about readily-available food, though. I have a habit of ridding the break room of snacks when I can. I don't keep change/dollar bills readily available so I can't hit the vending machine. And if it's in my house, I just throw it away. Not good with the long-term temptation, I admit.

Also, having great substitutes helps. This Saturday, I had to work in the office with a huge bag of left-over wedding taffy - which I LOVE. I am not totally anti-sugar, so I ate a few of them, but with them just sitting there, I didn't want to stop. So I pulled out my bag of sugar snap peas, and ate those instead.

It sounds like you've already figured out great strategies, though, as you've lost a considerable amount of weight. What strategies have worked for you?
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great job, Cheryl. Just do it once more, then once more . . .

Carter - I love your attitude about all the chances to turn yourself around. I'm going to remember that next time I feel the urge to go off plan. I read your 100 pounds post and am so proud of what you've done. Your attitude is perfect.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

You said you noticed that you hit the machine at the same time. Why at this time? Do you need a break? Is your blood sugar low or are you hungry? Can you do something to break this? Like get up and stretch or something instead? Or pack a healthy snack for this time? Take it day by day and triumph over today. Good job noticing this pattern and good job triumphing over today. Don't be hard on yourself but be strong with yourself.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #8  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Not sure what your poison is at the vending machine...if it's chocolate I find a sugar free jello pudding helps me. If it's crunchy salty things mAybe some almonds in yourbag could fill that craving?
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

Thanks for all the responses everyone. YOu are the best!

My poison at the vending machine is anything with a large amount of sugar. I am addicted to sugar. I know that if I stay off of sugar for a week the cravings get better and should be gone after 2 week. I stayed sugar free yesterday. I am just going to have to put on my big girl pants and tell myself no today too.

Sometimes I think that it is odd. I am very disciplined in many things. I don't have a problem telling myself no to spending money or doing something that I want to do. I can weigh pros and cons then make good decisions. I just have a hard time denying myself sugar.

Another day of white knuckling it but I know that if I stay strong, this too shall pass.

Last edited by time2lose; 08-24-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #10  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

For me, sugar addiction is akin to nicotine and other addictive substances--there is a physiological component as well as a behavioral one. I say this just to point out that the fact you are struggling with this does not mean you are a wimp! It means that you are taking on a huge endeavor, and succeeding.

I think the fact that you've been sugar free for two days means that you have the hardest part behind you. Congratulations!
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Cheryl, you are neither weak or a wimp! Hang in there and stay strong until your cravings for sugar subside.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

Thank you, dini22 and Tai,

I am checking out 3FC right now because someone brought in donuts to celebrate a birthday and I am trying to resist. One good thing about donuts is that they don't last long. If I can resist for 30 minutes, they will all be gone while a cake would last all day! They really are not worth getting the sugar cravings started.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Stay strong with the donuts. I like your donut assessment about how they are gone in 30 min. Also, they seem to sit in your stomach all day. Definitely not worth getting your sugar craving started. You so don't want a donut.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #14  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Hang in there Cheryl! Hopefully by now the donuts are gone. I used to have a real problem with donuts, and DH used to bring them home all the time. In my mind I started calling them "fat pills". Not only are they coated in sugar, they are deep-fried lumps of white flour dough! FAT PILLS!

You can do this! Just a few more days and the cravings will subside.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I suck at distraction, to be frank. I either have to budget in my junk (like a square of dark chocolate) or not have it in the house. I exercise my 'no' muscle, but sometimes it's just better not to have the temptation around.

Gum chewing, knitting, reading, those all distract me to different degrees, but availability is the biggest issue. If it isn't convenient I'll go for the easier option (like Carter), so having healthy snacks on hand is a lot more useful than limiting the junk by just eating less of it.

I've been struggling with this lately, due to illness and complacency, so I'm back in uber-retriction mode to get some solidly on-plan days below my belt again. Thus, I'm not the best one to give advice on this
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote