Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Starting Juicing Tomorrow...

Ok... I am going on a fruit and veggie juice detox diet. I'm aiming for 30 days. If I'm still going strong at 30 days, I'll raise it to 60 days.

Before anyone blasts me or anything... or says how unhealthy this is... please don't. I have seen FIRST HAND the effects of doing this.

My Granddaddy was horribly unhealthy. He's tried tons of diets... everything from high protein to low calorie, etc etc. He'd lose weight, and then he'd gain it back. And who knows? He might gain this back... but he's on day 23, lost 17 lbs (he was around 220-250... I'm not sure for certain), and has a TON of energy. And seriously... before he started this, he could barely get through a day without having major heart issues, zero energy, etc etc. And now he can literally go all day, and only be a little tired the next. And he's going to do the entire 60 days.

I'm not doing this for weight loss. That would be an AWESOME plus... but I'm not doing it for that. I'm doing it for health. That... and running. I am desperate to start running again... I miss it. I hated it... but I loved it at the same time.

So yeah.

http://jointhereboot.com/

That's what I'm going off of. Just watched the adjoining movie... and now I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get my juicer... and see how this goes at college. I'll be needing to decrease my food plan from the 15 to the 10... since I'll be buying most of my foods anyways (fruits and veggies). Anything I'm not eating from the juicer will be salads.

No meat, no nuts, no legumes, no dairy, no grain, just fruits and vegetables... in whole and juiced form.

And then afterwards I can eat more... except for dairy and grain... allergies and intolerances.

So yeah.

If anyone wants to follow me... I'll be sharing that (as well as MANY OTHER escapades) on my new blog:
http://kreativelykelli.blogspot.com/

Looking forward to this. I'm sure it'll be hard at first... but I can do this.

Just wanted to share... just needed to share. I need it to be official.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #2  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on the new challenge! Hope this works out well for you and you enjoy it. Let us know your results, I'd be curious
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/175/No idea

Height: 6'3

Quote:
I'm not doing this for weight loss. That would be an AWESOME plus... but I'm not doing it for that. I'm doing it for health. That... and running. I am desperate to start running again... I miss it. I hated it... but I loved it at the same time.
When you say you are "doing it for health", what do you mean exactly? The same goes for running, how does this type of diet make you a better runner?

-L89
Lurker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #4  

It doesn't make me a better runner... I myself just want to be a better runner, that doesn't have to do with the diet per-say... more of just a side thing... because I really want to start running again... as for the health, it's pretty much a detox and... as the website calls it... a "reboot" of your system.

It has allowed my Granddaddy to gain a TON of energy, feel awesome, and he's even getting closer to getting off of his medication. And he's only been on it for 24 days now. And that's a COMPLETE difference from where he was 24 days ago.

So yeah. At this point, I'm not suggesting others to do it... but simply posting it here to make it "official" for me that I'm doing it.

Just had my first smoothie (my grandparents' juicer broke... the new one's coming soon)... and it really did fill me up. But I'll have to see where I'm at in a few days.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
It doesn't make me a better runner... I myself just want to be a better runner, that doesn't have to do with the diet per-say... more of just a side thing... because I really want to start running again... as for the health, it's pretty much a detox and... as the website calls it... a "reboot" of your system.

Specifically what are you "detoxing" though?

The website suggests that you eat certain meats, nuts, legumes, etc when not on a "reboot". So does that make those things inherently toxic - that you need to purge yourself of them for a month or so out of the year? I thought those things were good to include in a balanced meal all of the time.

-L89
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #6  

exactly, when i'm not on the "reboot" i eat a full meal with all of those things. I'm detoxing from gluten, sugar, dairy, processed foods, and the foods I'm allergic to. To "reboot" my body and start myself on a good healthy path with balanced foods once I'm finished.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 324/268/140

Height: 5'2"

Congrats! I've done juice fasting, never for 30 days though, I think the most I went was 6 days. My last attempt was somewhere around 30 days but I made a fatal error. To save money on the veggies I bought organic spinach and chard in bulk. So my juices consisted of mostly that. Needless to say the juices got pretty tiring after about a week and the juice fast ended.

I still juice as part of my regular diet. I highly recommend the omega juicer.
Armida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
exactly, when i'm not on the "reboot" i eat a full meal with all of those things. I'm detoxing from gluten, sugar, dairy, processed foods, and the foods I'm allergic to. To "reboot" my body and start myself on a good healthy path with balanced foods once I'm finished.
I see. What's the significance of avoiding legumes, proteins and nuts then? In the broad strokes, I understand why you would avoid some dairy, sugar, gluten etc, but why would you avoid the other three?

Is the idea that you reduce your diet to the "reboot" thing as a means to get to a fresh start? I'm just looking at the website and I don't see anything other than that as a rationale as to why you would want to avoid those proteins.

-L89
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #9  

It's to get a "fresh" start. I'm just doing fruits and vegetables... all raw... because that's what is recommended and that's what I've seen my Grandmommy and Granddaddy do. Otherwise... I don't know.

I personally need to avoid ALL dairy and all gluten because of allergies and intolerances (which I haven't exactly been doing), so that's different. As for the nuts and legumes... maybe I could eat them... but I have zero desire to. I have never eaten many nuts or legumes before... I would have something with beans in it maybe once a week... if that. And then nuts... probably once a month. I've just never eaten them... and I'm not a huge fan of them.

As for "why" to avoid the proteins... I can't answer that. I'm sorry. I'm following a regime that I have seen the positive effects of, and I'm afraid I can't answer all questions concerning it. I'm no expert, and not for one instant do I claim to be.

But yeah... it's to get a "fresh start". And then afterwards, eat stuff again. But within reason... it's not like I go out and buy a dozen donuts and eat them all. It's to help my body go back to wanting and craving healthy foods and not the sugary foods I've been eating.

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions... just that I've seen nothing but positive from this (when done correctly of course), and that I've only had breakfast so far... so I can't exactly speak for how it's effected me myself and I yet.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #10  
it's always something

Serbrider, I want to wish you luck with the reboot. I think filling the body with so many vitamins and antioxidants at once must feel very good.

I understand that the idea of the reboot has left many people (across this site and others) wondering if it's a wise thing to do. When we think of a juice diet, we immediately think of the well known fad diet that involves buying bottled juices, which are devoid of most of the nutrients found in freshly juiced vegetables. Also most people that do "juice fasts" appear to concentrate on fruit juices. The reboot program is loaded with fresh vegetable juices that are still brimming with nutrients, which can't be said for bottled juices. Also, this plan will provide 40 or 50 grams of protein per day so you aren't parting with that important nutrient.

I hate the word 'detox' because it's based on a myth. I believe it's not what you are taking out, but what you stop putting in that makes the difference. Everything consumed during a reboot is healthy.

I'm considering doing the 15 day reboot. You eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits for 5 days, drink freshly juiced veggies and fruits for 5 days, then have another 5 days of whole veggies and fruits. My mom has a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Pro that she's never used and has offered it to me.

The only downside that I can see is the expense. It's a shame that fruits and vegetables are so expensive.

Good luck! I'll look forward to reading your progress on your blog
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/137/120

Height: 5'4

Good luck with your diet! I hope it goes well... I just think you should beware without certain amino acids... your organs WILL atrophy so just listen to your body for what it tells you.

Best of luck! Let us know how it is going through out your journey
Unthinkables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Serbrider, I want to wish you luck with the reboot. I think filling the body with so many vitamins and antioxidants at once must feel very good.

I understand that the idea of the reboot has left many people (across this site and others) wondering if it's a wise thing to do. When we think of a juice diet, we immediately think of the well known fad diet that involves buying bottled juices, which are devoid of most of the nutrients found in freshly juiced vegetables. Also most people that do "juice fasts" appear to concentrate on fruit juices. The reboot program is loaded with fresh vegetable juices that are still brimming with nutrients, which can't be said for bottled juices. Also, this plan will provide 40 or 50 grams of protein per day so you aren't parting with that important nutrient.

I hate the word 'detox' because it's based on a myth. I believe it's not what you are taking out, but what you stop putting in that makes the difference. Everything consumed during a reboot is healthy.
This actually cleared up a lot of my questions. It's a little fallacious to call it a "detox" when you're cutting out things that aren't actually toxic - but that's just marketing. It seems to me that most people, when dieting, do a "reboot detox" by cutting out the same things as this.

I do like the idea. It simplifies things and makes it easier to stay on track. Don't know if I could part with my chicken though.

Thanks,

-L89

Last edited by Lurker89; 08-25-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Like Suzanne, I'm not sure about how wise detox or other extreme diets are. There are so many nutrients that our bodies need to stay functional, and proteins (as well as those nutrients found in proteins) are vital. The problem with our bodies is that we evolved from omnivores, so we require a wide variety of things to keep us going. Unlike something like horses, which can get all of their food from one source (grasses), we need the widest variety of food possible to stay healthy.

That being said, I know it's your choice and I wish you luck. But please listen to your body during this time! Note if your mood or energy changes, if you start to lose hair, if you have problems with your immune system.
Good luck.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #14  

Sorry about the word "detox". It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

The more i'm reading about it and thinking about it... it's more just eating raw for a few days. And I'll be careful about different amino acids, getting protein in my vegetables, etc etc.

So far I'm on day 2... and going through withdrawals. But this is the exact same kind of stuff I went through when I got off of gluten. And then I felt GREAT after two or three days. So yeah.

But the juicing itself is going well. Wasn't able to update my blog yesterday due to a thunderstorm and not wanting to have stuff plugged in. And yesterday was such a great day with so much to update about... today was not. 5 hours on the road in a car that's too small for my long legs with nothing but fruit and veggie juice to eat.

Otherwise... going great so far. I weighed just now, 214.6... I had weighed three days ago around the same time and was 216.7... but... could just be water weight... so I'm not making any judgement calls at this point. I'd need to weigh in the morning with no clothes on and all. Which I'll do tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yay you! I am going to start soon too--just got my juicer. I want to have a look at the documentary again and then print my recipes. I will start as soon as those things can get cleared up. Keep us posted.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote