Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Carbage Cravings GAH!!!

I recently cut bad carbs from my diet because I found out I am insulin resistant. I'm on like day 5 with no simple carbs but today all of a sudden I'm craving simple carbs especially sugary chocolatey things. All I can think about is chocolate ice cream and dark chocolate brownies, etc...
I've done everything I can to not eat any of this stuff & I cant get my mind off it. This is something I NEED to do for the long haul because I do NOT want to become diabetic. It's like more than just a normal craving, it's as if my body is longing for it kind of craving. How can I get this to go away?
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #2  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Things that work for me:

hot tea with a little extra sweetener and a generous splash of milk. That has been working great for me.

sugar free jello

cinnamon chewing gum

And know that it DOES go away the longer you stay off the white/sugar carbs.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #3  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Oh it's bad. I cant even do artificial sweeteners because they all give me migraines. But I can do stevia.

The strange thing is, sugar & chocolate was never my "drug" of choice. Mine was fried food, chips & fast foods.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Just hang in there. The sugar cravings will go away when your body is better adjusted to be without the sugar it used to get by converting the carbs to quick and easy sugar. I was a bread and pasta freak - now it doesn't even faze me to pass them up. I think it took a couple weeks before it got pretty easy to pass up the carbs and the sugar.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

For "substitute," I'll have flavored coffee (AM hi-test/PM decaf) with truvia and non-fat powdered milk helps me a lot. Or sometimes I am in the mood for spiced tea with a little trucia, NFPM. I usually add a sprinkle of cinnamon (supposed to be helpful for evening out blood sugar) to each.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #6  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

I was also a fried foods/pasta addict and the first week OP was torture. Keep moving forward though - it DOES get better!

As others have already mentioned, cinnamon works wonders. Some recommended to me that I try a cinnamon supplement, and I did. I don't think it was just my imagination - I felt less of that "rabid hunger" for carbs.

Good luck!!
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have been struggling with the same thing. I look at it as detoxing. Staying busy helps. Being on 3FC helps. A sweet substitute does not help but having meals that I enjoy does help. Time helps the most. I know that after a week my cravings decrease and are gone in about 2 weeks. Most importantly for me is to remember that one bite of a sweet will increase the cravings. I have to go cold turkey.

Hang in there. You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #8  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Well, I made it through yesterday, thank goodness. Thanks for all your responses, they mean a lot.

I keep telling myself this isn't going to happen over night like I would like for it to. It took 33 years for me to get this way, it takes time & hard work to change.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #9  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

Height: 5'6"

Every night I have a sugar free jello with a dollop of frozen cool whip. It just satisfies the sweet tooth.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I agree that the cravings will pretty much disappear somewhere between ten days and two weeks. For me, I think my body is no longer screaming for it after that period, but it is still a habit, kwim? Still, it feels great to be in control. It's worth the effort!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #11  
Be Healthy...

S/C/G: 288/267/238

Height: 5'5"

Default cravings

Hi hp,
Caffeine always works for my cravings. Specifically, a green tea . I may be more sensitive to caffeine than others. Caffeine may be off limits to some people, individual health concerns of course factor in. What I find to be most interesting, however, is as I strive to eat healthy.... Green leafy in bulk and very little to no sugar outside of fruits and grains, my cravings disappear. It's almost as if when I give my body what it needs it becomes satisfied and my cravings disappear. I never wanted to be some strange all natural organic herb chick, but I may be headed in that direction. Chocolate is my love, but the better I eat, the better I feel. My plan of late has been very simple....anything nutritionally dense is free game. My best to you...
fattiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #12  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Funny you should mention caffeine. Yesterday afternoon I drank a couple cups of pomegranate green tea (Arizona brand tea bags), it was wonderfully yummy. I sipped on it during the times that I'd normally start having a craving, it really helped.
Herbal teas have been a life saver for me. They come in so many different flavors and are good for you too! One of my favorite things is around Christmas time they come out with the Gingerbread tea, it's wonderful with a little milk & stevia, I feel like I'm eating gingerbread right out of the oven.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #13  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Default Cabbage!

When I clicked on this thread, I really thought it said "cabbage" cravings. I wondered why that was so bad...
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #14  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Yeah, I don't think I'd be complaining about cabbage cravings. lol!