General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #1  

Default Thinking I need to pick a new diet that works for me and need some guidance.

In the past I've tried the Atkins diet and lost 20lbs but quickly gained it all back.
This past year I did Ideal Protein and lost 45lbs! But since being off of it I've gain almost 15lbs back!
Scared to gain it all back I'm considering going back on it. However I have some reservations.

This is my ordeal....
1) Cost
2) Ease
3) Restrictions!

For those who don't know about Ideal Protein, it's a high protein, no carb, no sugar, no fat. The first two meals are supplemented with IP packets and you have a healthy dinner.
I loved it. It works GREAT! You defiantly see results. But it's not for every one as there so soooooooooooo many restrictions! No sugar was hard, I forgot how many food products have sugar, and FOR ME it make eating out near impossible. Don't get me wrong. I can easily ask for lightly seasoned grilled chicken breast and lettuce at every restaurant I go too. But IMO that's something I can create at home. And if I can make it at home, then why eat out?
Since being off of IP I've tried my best to stay in maintenance. However I did end it short of my goal cause I was honestly board and my cravings just got the best of me.
I started last August 2010 at 180lbs and stopped in December at 155. Went back on in Feb and stopped in March ending at 145. Since March I've gained 10-15lbs! I want to be 135-125 but I'm scared of failing. Scared of committing to the restrictions that I know will drive me crazy.

Cutting milk or cream out of my coffee was ****!
Giving up alcohol was ****!
Giving up cheese was ****!
Giving up rice and bread was ****, but manageable.

Plus I work three jobs so the ease needs to be at a super easy level.

I don't know what to try next. I just know that IP cost me an average of $200/month that's just not in my budget anymore.

I'd love input and suggestions. My ears are wide opened!

Thanks!
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

What about calorie counting? That's the only thing I've been able to commit to long term and it's less restrictive. I do my best to limit simple sugars and simple carbs most of the time - though I refuse to permanently give up anything - to manage my hunger, cravings, and energy level. And it seems to work.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I nam a calorie counter, too. I have done many diets , some of them costing me a lot of money. I decided some time ago that I will no longer pay to have someone tell me what to eat. Calorie counting works best for me and is free !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #4  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

I could never give up milk or cream from my coffee...blech! I still want eating and drinking to be enjoyable. Same for alcohol...it might hurt my efforts a bit, but it's a part of my life and totally cutting it out would just make me resent the diet. You have to find something that is going to work long term for you and fit well in your lifestyle.

Perhaps you have to break out of the "diet" mindset entirely. I try and think of it as a new way of eating instead of a system that is imposing rules on me. It should be about making healthier choices that lead you to a healthier body (and mind!). Instead of cutting something out, maybe you can replace it with something else. Like instead of pasta or rice, I have quinoa or sometimes brown rice.

I also count calories, although I don't plan on forever. I am using calorie counting to make more nutritious choices (my calorie counter typically has info on fiber, protein, etc) and to better determine portion sizes. Once you learn more about what's good for you and what's not, you will be able to make good choices more easily.
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/230.5/161

Height: 5"8

How about weight watchers?
There is no food off limits.. you can even have alcohol.. You just need to count points..
The cost is not high and I find the meetings very encouraging..keeps me accountable..
I'm a busy student as well as a full-time single mom and weight watchers is the easiest for me to lose weight..
Because you can eat anything.. its very user friendly..
SLIMplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #6  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Another vote for calorie counting from me.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166.5/158.5/137

Height: 5'7"

I second Weight Watchers, I love the program. I have been doing it on and off for years and have lost a lot of weight on it...and its really almost painless! Like Slimplicity said, nothing is off limits, its all about portion control and eating in real life situations. Infact, I dont even pay for it, I did when I first started a long time ago on the Points system, but I basically know the Points system by heart and I dont really need the meetings. However, if you are short on cash, you can find all of the information you need for either the Points system or the new PointsPlus system anywhere online, just google it.
K1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I'll weigh in with a different "diet" suggestion. I've been on The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise for about 8 months and I love it. It's similar to Atkins and IP in that it's carb-restricted, but it's less strict than IP and early-phase Atkins. It is very low-sugar. I don't know how to compare with IP - the BFC is 15 g sugar/day or less - and even though you said IP is "no sugar" you also mentioned eating lettuce, which has sugar... Anyway, I have spent exactly $0 on the BFC because I got the book from the library and I didn't buy any of the recommended specialty products - I just eat whole foods and stuff I can get at any grocery store. Of course I have modified the diet over time to conform to my body's needs - I have actually made it lower-carb and more strict than it is intended to be. I track a lot of nutrition data also, even though you only need to track sugar, fiber, and carbs on the BFC. I recommend at least checking it out - but remember, long-term weight loss and maintenance requires a lifestyle change, so just find something that works for you and stick with it!
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #9  
To be fit for my King!

S/C/G: 194/170/130

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I nam a calorie counter, too. I have done many diets , some of them costing me a lot of money. I decided some time ago that I will no longer pay to have someone tell me what to eat. Calorie counting works best for me and is free !
Bargoo, you have lost a lot of weight. How proud you must be! Tell me what a day looked like for you when you were losing, as far as your meals. Thanks
whirlybird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #10  
Optimistic.

S/C/G: Inches: 47"/44.25"/37"

Height: 5'4"

I agree with counting calories. I also count carbs and try to stay below 100g a day. Intermittent fasting is another way of restricting calories and carbs without restricting food. You just give yourself a window of time (usually 5-8 hours a day) and only eat during that time. Its very open to interpretation.

In my opinion, a lifestyle change is better than a program so you don't gain the weight back after reaching your goal.

Good luck!
shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I am another calorie counter. It's free and flexible. I try to keep carbs around 45% of my calories. A typical day for me:

Breakfast - high fiber cereal and a cheese stick
Snack - Greek yogurt
Lunch - salad with chicken/steak/fish (whatever I have leftover) and fruit
Snack - almonds
Dinner - grilled meat and veggies with brown rice
Snack - mini ice cream bar (<100 cal)

I use a smartphone app (my fitness pal) to track.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #12  

Thanks guys for your input. I hate to say it, but I've tried counting calories, and unless something is restricted, I'll tend to go over. Then I'm screwed cause I promise myself that I'll just do an extra hour on the elliptical, but we all know how those self promises go out the window.
I know IP restricted me and made me resent the diet, but in some ways it helped me stay accountable.
I feel lost cause I know counting calories is so hard.
I've used the apps to help track and I'm always just disgusted at how I tend to go over. How I'm always left hungry. And even on those weeks when I do stay under my set daily calorie intake, I only maintain weight, I don't shed weight.

Not sure what to do from here.
But I really appreciate your help!
mymooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #13  

You can make calorie counting easy. Get the necessary tools for measuring, plus a pair of food scales. I got mine online from Target. You need a small booklet with the nutrition of most foods and you are off. You can find the nutrition facts online, but it takes time which I don't think you have. Write down every morsel which passes your lips, the amount of course. The serving size is the key. With this method you can have alcohol and cream in your coffee. Your next step will be nothing white, no white bread, no sugar, little salt (makes you retain water),no white potato. Educate yourself. Get books from the library and when you have time read a little time. No one "diet" has all the questions. It is calories in-calories out. I have been "dieting" since 1953, I know you had not even thought about being born. I do hope when I get to the otherside I am skinny!!!
You can do this.
SouthernComfort257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
Thanks guys for your input. I hate to say it, but I've tried counting calories, and unless something is restricted, I'll tend to go over. Then I'm screwed cause I promise myself that I'll just do an extra hour on the elliptical, but we all know how those self promises go out the window.
I know IP restricted me and made me resent the diet, but in some ways it helped me stay accountable.
I feel lost cause I know counting calories is so hard.
I've used the apps to help track and I'm always just disgusted at how I tend to go over. How I'm always left hungry. And even on those weeks when I do stay under my set daily calorie intake, I only maintain weight, I don't shed weight.

Not sure what to do from here.
But I really appreciate your help!
I think the only way I can calorie count, or do any plan, successfully is by planning ahead.

I'm in awe of other people who can allocate calories, points, etc in their heads or as their day goes on. It's a skill I haven't honed in almost 20 years of dieting, and I'm doubtful that I ever will!

I've posted this before, but what I do is list out for the following day my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and allocate calories (or ww points, or other units) to all of them and add them together for my total.

Eventually you have a better eye for estimating calories for foods that you're used to eating. What makes it even easier is cooking meals and freezing them in portions with calories/points/units labeled on them (you can find recipes with nutritional info online). Then you can say to yourself, "I'll take out that particular meal for tomorrow's dinner" and there is no further thought required.

It's the only way I can guarantee success for myself.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I think the only way I can calorie count, or do any plan, successfully is by planning ahead.

I'm in awe of other people who can allocate calories, points, etc in their heads or as their day goes on. It's a skill I haven't honed in almost 20 years of dieting, and I'm doubtful that I ever will!

I've posted this before, but what I do is list out for the following day my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and allocate calories (or ww points, or other units) to all of them and add them together for my total.

Eventually you have a better eye for estimating calories for foods that you're used to eating. What makes it even easier is cooking meals and freezing them in portions with calories/points/units labeled on them (you can find recipes with nutritional info online). Then you can say to yourself, "I'll take out that particular meal for tomorrow's dinner" and there is no further thought required.

It's the only way I can guarantee success for myself.
That's actually a good idea Munchy I think I might try this technique of labeling foods with points so that it's easier. I think I might try this and maybe I'll get my boyfriend involved as well (he doesn't want to think of cutting back on food). I think it might be a fun way of getting healthy together. Thanks for the advice!
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote