Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #16  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Lots of people make excuses for why they can't/won't/shouldn't go on a diet. They glance at IP and see how restrictive it is without understanding the diet itself. It's easy to look at it and say, "That's unhealthy, so I don't have to do it and I don't have to feel guilty for not doing it." Most of us know you have to reach a certain point and a certain mindset to really dedicate yourself to losing weight. Most naysayers just aren't their yet and they would rather you not be a constant reminder of their own failures. Misery really does love company. The dynamic of you being the fat one is broken. And people really don't like change. The more weight we lose, the better we feel, physically and mentally. We do change a little, some more than others. That can be frightening for some of those that are close to us. They may be feeling uncertain about how the new you is going to fit into your relationship with them.
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #17  

I find it interesting how are weight loss/gain history is tied into our family dynamics. And yes, that does generate feelings of low self esteem, feeling unloved, comparisons to other siblings, etc. I guess this is a forum where we can express those feelings and not EAT OVER THEM!

Dr. Tran's book (at the start of the daily thread there is a link to the PDF copy of it) he talks about how we want to be UNBALANCED in our diet in order to lose the weight. I have had it pounded into me for years that we need to eat a BALANCED diet in order to lose weight.

I like the idea of telling people I am retraining my pancreas.
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh50 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! My mom is 91 and won't read the book! LOL. My sis is in good shape but has to workout everyday at her gym and watch what she eats (WW). I know the old way of thinking is that we are "balanced" since we aren't eating fruit and dairy. I plan on having my fruit and dairy in Phase 4!

I would never flame anyone about there honest opinion, Chicksinger. Thanks for your input too!
I truly believe that your sister is fustrated that you have lost your weight and look amazing and you are doing it in a healthy way, not having to workout out EVERY DAY! I am sorry that she doesn't take the time to understand your program and support you. Your mom doesn't need worrying at her age, especially when you are doing everything correctly to be 100% healthy. It's just such a unique protocol and people don't understand the science or take time to understand the science behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
At only 53% of my goal, I get asked "How much more are you planning on losing?" "You look great, why would you want to get skinnier?" all the time now. I have told no one other than my coach how much I have lost......I use the percentage line always. When asked what am I doing and why so restrictive, I just tell people the truth. I am reprogramming my pancreas. Most people don't care to know what that means and those people don't mean that much to me either. I hope they can soon see how happy you are and how you made the right choice for YOU. They just don't currently understand the path you're on....... Stay Strong!

Forgot to add......About 6 years ago, I went on a strict diet and began working with a personal trainer. At the same time, my older sister chose to have gastric bypass surgery (grrrr). For every 10 lbs I lost from a 1200 calories diet and 2 hours in the gym EVERYDAY, she lost about 20 lbs doing "nothing" (at least that's my opinion). My mother never once commented on my weight loss but just could not keep saying "Oh, just look how good B looks" "Have you see B lately, I so proud of her". Needless to say, my feelings were hurt very badly and I honestly have not fully recovered from that "unloved trauma". She has not seen me the new me yet. I'm expecting a "are your OK?" comment. And BTW, B never learned how to control her food and she has since gained a large portion of her weight back. We all make our own choices. Sorry to have vented that, but I think that pain has been lurking and today was a good day for it to be released. Hopefully, I can make it disappear in the not so distant future.
So sad for your sister, she should do IP! I am very happy for you a proud. I hope your mother decides to comment on your hard work in a positive way.

I had a family friend who had bypass, she loves to talk about herself a lot, which makes it hard to be happy for her, especially when she openly admits that she should workout but won't, I feel like she took a dangerous "easy" way out. We will see how she does. I feel so vain and immature when I hope she doesn't get smaller than me, isn't that awful!!!? She is just one of those that never has anything nice to say about anyone and when she does it's fake and she loves being argumentative.

Is your sister at least supportive of your losses?
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
At only 53% of my goal, I get asked "How much more are you planning on losing?" "You look great, why would you want to get skinnier?" all the time now. I have told no one other than my coach how much I have lost......I use the percentage line always. When asked what am I doing and why so restrictive, I just tell people the truth. I am reprogramming my pancreas. Most people don't care to know what that means and those people don't mean that much to me either. I hope they can soon see how happy you are and how you made the right choice for YOU. They just don't currently understand the path you're on....... Stay Strong!

Forgot to add......About 6 years ago, I went on a strict diet and began working with a personal trainer. At the same time, my older sister chose to have gastric bypass surgery (grrrr). For every 10 lbs I lost from a 1200 calories diet and 2 hours in the gym EVERYDAY, she lost about 20 lbs doing "nothing" (at least that's my opinion). My mother never once commented on my weight loss but just could not keep saying "Oh, just look how good B looks" "Have you see B lately, I so proud of her". Needless to say, my feelings were hurt very badly and I honestly have not fully recovered from that "unloved trauma". She has not seen me the new me yet. I'm expecting a "are your OK?" comment. And BTW, B never learned how to control her food and she has since gained a large portion of her weight back. We all make our own choices. Sorry to have vented that, but I think that pain has been lurking and today was a good day for it to be released. Hopefully, I can make it disappear in the not so distant future.

Family means the most in our lives, and that's why they can hurt us the most.

Fortunately, I've had nothing but support from people about IP. I've had a couple of rude comments when I say I still have nearly 30lbs. to go. I have to remind them that I am about 8 inches taller than they are so the weight looks very different on me.
I choose to tell people size goal instead of weight goal now. "Super excited to be in 14s now, but would love to get back into 10s." Hearing the double digits is easier for their jealous brains.
pselias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #20  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leganegan View Post
So sad for your sister, she should do IP! I am very happy for you a proud. I hope your mother decides to comment on your hard work in a positive way.

I had a family friend who had bypass, she loves to talk about herself a lot, which makes it hard to be happy for her, especially when she openly admits that she should workout but won't, I feel like she took a dangerous "easy" way out. We will see how she does. I feel so vain and immature when I hope she doesn't get smaller than me, isn't that awful!!!? She is just one of those that never has anything nice to say about anyone and when she does it's fake and she loves being argumentative.

Is your sister at least supportive of your losses?
Weight loss support from my sister? That opens up a whole other can of worms. Let's just say she's been jealous of me my entire life and when it comes to health and weight loss, she keeps her opinions to herself because she KNOWS she has no leg to stand on in that department. When she does see me, I can most likely bank on lots of pleasantries before she throws a snide comment in there somewhere. Don't worry, I don't let her beat me down. Over the years, it has only made me more resilient and firmly committed to the woman I am today. It will be very interesting to see how my family reacts. And because I am a positive person, that is how I choose to present myself to them. I am happy and healthy that's what really matters MOST. And it won't hurt when I introduce them to my new HOT man!
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #21  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Over the years, it has only made me more resilient and firmly committed to the woman I am today. It will be very interesting to see how my family reacts. And because I am a positive person, that is how I choose to present myself to them. I am happy and healthy that's what really matters MOST. And it won't hurt when I introduce them to my new HOT man!
You go girl!!....new YOU and a HOT man to go along with you....AWESOME!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 209.2/207.2/150

Height: 5' 4"

I am in the medical field and did extensive research before I started on Ideal Protein. In my opinion it is one of the safest plans out there.

I think you can take the opportunity given to you...to educate your sister.

Ask her why? Tell her you want list of questions she has about the plan.
krazytxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Weight loss support from my sister? That opens up a whole other can of worms. Let's just say she's been jealous of me my entire life and when it comes to health and weight loss, she keeps her opinions to herself because she KNOWS she has no leg to stand on in that department. When she does see me, I can most likely bank on lots of pleasantries before she throws a snide comment in there somewhere. Don't worry, I don't let her beat me down. Over the years, it has only made me more resilient and firmly committed to the woman I am today. It will be very interesting to see how my family reacts. And because I am a positive person, that is how I choose to present myself to them. I am happy and healthy that's what really matters MOST. And it won't hurt when I introduce them to my new HOT man!
Woohoo! New hot man for new hot you! I know it's not the same as blood, but we are your supportive sisters here on 3fat chicks! enjoy the reaction! Can't wait to hear!
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummie View Post
It's a stock picture I found online....but he looks just like my beagle baby (when he was a pup). I've been intending to update it to a real one of my little Buddy..thanks for reminding me!!

I'd love to see it. Beagles are the cutest (and the baddest too).
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #25  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Good for you, your accomplishments and you new HOT man! How exciting!

I love, love, love this forum and look forward to being in maintenance in four weeks (I start phase 2 tomorrow!). I'm happy where I'm at now -- so it's time.

This thread is great! I am reading and storing information for maintenance -- because that is where the rubber hits the road and I don't want to fail like I have on every other diet I've been on. Woo Hoo!
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #26  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Opps! Got so excited that I forgot what thread I was on.
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #27  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
It seems like women often love to discuss and criticize diet plans! I shut it down from the outset by saying "my Dr. put me on this diet." Unless they're ready to pull their MD out of their pocket, they can't dis my diet!
This is a great answer. I think it is usable to anyone who inquires. Gonna have to keep that sentence handy.

I've done WW before, successfully/unsuccessfully. I did QWLC in the 80s, successfully, but could not sustain the loss. At 51, I have my physical issues. I'm trying to "go all in" with WWPP because I think at this point in my life it is easiest for me to follow, albeit it will probably take me forever to lose 30 lbs. Really, it is whatever works for you and whatever is sustainable. Doncha wish once we lost the weight, it would stay gone?
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #28  
wannabe thinner

S/C/G: 167/116/115

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Can I add something here? I read the IP plan here...certainly I don't know it in depth, but I can honestly state what I read here, I could never see myself sticking to it for any length of time because it is so restrictive. I'm not about to knock anyone's chosen weight loss program, but I know ME, and at this point in my life I'd rather do something less restrictive and more "family friendly" since I have to cook for others daily. That could be the "bias" that others see in the IP diet. That's all I have to add. Please don't be mad at me.
I have cooked for 2 large b'day parties and cook for my hubby every PM. Initially he thought this was abad idea for me since I cook so much and enjoy it. I have been just fine with IP. I do not feel deprived nor do I feel like it will go on forever. IF I am going crazy wanting to taste something, I do then spit it out. It satisfies the craving immediately. Only you can decide but don't let it scare you off.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I have cooked for 2 large b'day parties and cook for my hubby every PM. Initially he thought this was abad idea for me since I cook so much and enjoy it. I have been just fine with IP. I do not feel deprived nor do I feel like it will go on forever. IF I am going crazy wanting to taste something, I do then spit it out. It satisfies the craving immediately. Only you can decide but don't let it scare you off.

Yesterday I made blueberry jam. peach marmalade and blueberry muffins for my hubby. I had no desire to even taste any of it.

At the same time i was making that I had the most delicious lunch. It was the IP leek soup and I put in lots of extra veggies. I was so surprised it was better than any soup I ever got in a restaurant.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #30  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I don't knock anyone's diet plans unless they ask for an honest opinion on a diet. I do know that Atkins diet (not the same as IP from my understanding) was the worst thing for myself and my mother. I also later learned how bad it can be for your body and brain for not getting carbs the way the Atkins diet was set up.
I think a lot of people hear IP and find out that there is carb restriction, they assume it has the same negative effects that Atkins did. They assume that it is bad for you.
A lot of people also hear the word "diet" and they think it's another gimmick. Another fad that won't help you. Another get fit fast that will dig deep into your pockets to line the corporate office duech-baggary that goes on in America.
Tell these people that they are wrong. That this is YOUR life style choice. That you want to be healthy, lose weight and look great. If you have seen a doctor about it, then just tell them that an experienced health professional says differently than their ignorant opinion.

Families want you to be healthy (for the most part). I told my family I was going on a diet recently and they all had that worried/strained look. That look that says, "Oh no... not again!" Once I told them all I was doing was counting calories, exercising, and making sure I get all my nutrition in for a week. They all relaxed. (I'm not on IP... but I support anyone who is). Some of them were jealous that I was making life changes and didn't support me. Some of them jumped behind 100% and my sister finally joined my plan after seeing my results for the past few weeks. (More inches than pounds).
People are weird like that.

I also agree with a poster above that I could never do IP because it's too restrictive for me and I would personally never be able to stick with it. Diets are life changes, and they should be something you can stick too. A lot of mothers might look at the diet and feel like I do, that this is something they could never do, and since they can't do it, you can't do it. They're wrong.

Congrats on doing what you think is best for YOU! Because that is what matters most.

Last edited by kurisitaru; 08-21-2011 at 05:22 PM.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote