Old 08-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/213.8/135 Oct 31, 2020

Height: 5'8"

Default BMI and appropriate weight - is this right?

I recently tried determining my BMI on a few sites that offer a calculator. One had my BMI at 58 or some crazy high number. Everything else that I found has be closer to 37 or 38. How incredibly discouraging!

I also used an online "ideal weight" calculator and it said I should be 128 pounds. Hmmmm? I'm, 5'8" and 47 years old. How't that gonna work? I wasn't that light in highschool. At least I don't remember being that light and I definitely wasn't called fat in highschool. I also definitely have a larger bone structure. Or at least I think I do.

Does anyone have a reliable and accurate calculator for both BMI and ideal weight?
AndieIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #2  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

I'm 42 and have a BMI between 20-21 at 5'5", with a medical condition that makes me gain weight. Under 25 is where you should be. I weigh the same as I did in high school. Getting older doesn't equal weight gain. Stay active and watch what you eat. Or, stay whatever size you are and be happy and at peace as long as you are medically okay.

My mom at 5'4" and 200lbs now has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type two diabetes, and who knows what else. Same with my dad, who is overweight. I don't want to follow them, so staying in shape and watching what I eat is a priority.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Last edited by JenFZ09; 08-04-2020 at 11:26 AM.
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #3  

I will say that anyone with a BMI over 30 is obese, 100% of the time. The percentage of people who have lifted weights with such dedication that the weight of their muscles have brought them into this category is next to nil, I've never seen someone like that in my Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox clinic.

Last edited by amelbeabk; 03-25-2021 at 07:58 AM.
amelbeabk is offline   Reply With Quote