3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   30 days until my health "rarely improves" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/317714-30-days-until-my-health-rarely-improves.html)

Pipsicle 07-07-2019 01:28 PM

30 days until my health "rarely improves"

Recently, I read an article that said health rarely improves after age 50. Ack! For me that means I have about 30 days to improve my health. Specifically, I would like to get my blood sugar (prediabetic) and my blood pressure numbers into normal ranges. These are the same goals I have had for two years now. I keep thinking I am highly motivated but my lack of results say otherwise.
My thought with starting this thread is to have a place to check in more often. Also, if any one has success stories about how they improved their health after age 50 that would be wonderful to hear as well.

Onward and upward (which would be downward for BS, BP and weight in this case)!

Pipsicle 07-21-2019 02:08 PM

Pretty happy to report I've lost 2 pounds in the last couple of weeks. Although, I consider it unconfirmed until it stays off for another week. Working on making sure I get enough sleep. I think that really helps me.

Does anyone have any success stories they'd like to share?

mjf 07-21-2019 04:07 PM

They say it "rarely improves" after 50, because people rarely improve their diet. If you do improve your diet, then your health will probably improve, even if you're over 50.

Pipsicle 07-28-2019 01:56 PM

Pleased to report the 2 pound loss has been confirmed with an additional unconfirmed loss of another pound. Hoping I am on the right track (HHF/LRC/IR/KCW/9S).

If anyone has success stories to share, I would love to hear them!!

Pipsicle 08-25-2019 02:09 PM

Happy to report I have lost 4.5 pounds total so far. Any 50 year olds with success stories to share?

FatAbbi 05-03-2023 01:06 PM

GREAT JOB!!! I am 49, turning 50 in July. I started walking 10/18, and I barely could get 5k steps a day. Now I am up to an average of 14k steps a day. I did for 4 months use Nutrisense, which is a CGM program and kept my blood sugar in range at all times. It takes me daily committing to myself to make this work for me. I want to lose 50lbs by my birthday but I am not sure I will make that goal since I cannot seem to break 193 to save my life, but I have to be happy with lower weight, and better mental health. Here are the things I am doing:

20 min treadmill walk before I get dressed in the morning
20 min outside walk when I get to work (yes I arrive early to do so)
45 min outside walk when I take lunch (yes, I take it everyday. Legally they cannot stop you, and legally you have to take the break, so take it!!)
Then on rare occasion my husband and I will walk another 20-30 minutes at night.
I log every bit of food I eat, and I use my Fitbit everyday, 24 hrs a day.
I make sure I am at a 500 calorie deficit at a minimum, but most days I am at a 750-1000 deficit

When I track my blood sugar I only eat when it is between 70-90 and do my best to eat only things that raise my blood sugar no more than 20-30pts. If I am going to eat something I know will cause issue, such as skittles, I will walk 5 mins before I eat them, and then make sure I walk another 10-15 minutes within a hour of eating them.

Does this consume my life? YES. But I view my eating struggles no different than someone with a substance issue. They choose sobriety, everyday. I chose, health. I chose, me. Everyday, every hour.

You can do this, you will do this. Love yourself more than you love everything and everyone around you. Self care, and self love is being a good: mom, daughter, friend, aunt, EVERYTHING.