Old 09-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Question Unexpected Monthly Fee---Yikezzzz!!!

Anyone have a bill that pops up out of the blue that was totally Unexpected when you were doing your monthly budget?(If you all have a budget, I do???).
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

I just found a bullet like hole in my cat's chest so I had to RUSH him to the vet's. Thank God the cat managed to keep this area quite clean, so I wasn't too grossed out ---just focused on doing what I could to save him.....

Well vet fee's w/o pet insurance to Reinburse me is quite Expensive. Just lab work pre cat treatment was $130.00 and an x ray was $125, plus anesthesia $125..... total ends up being $850.00 and had to be paid upfront pre-treatment......I had to get my cr card increased just for that.

Oh, then my kitchen sink pipe cracked and the entire lower cabinet under sink was flooded with 2 inches of sewage. Thank god we know a plumber. However he only did the minimum at this point, and there is much more pipe work needed. that too is going to cost at least $150.00.....No ,NO,No,it wasn't suppppposed to beeeeeeee THIS WAYYYYYY!!!!

Well no extra junk food for this month I suppose. Actually I have a dental appt on the 24th and the fee for that will be around $160.00. So I am totally stressed over the hot weather and these Unexpected costs in my Budget.
Anyone else ever have these slight budget heart attacks, or is it just me???

Then if you do, are you like me and you think 2x after about the food as being secondary after major bills take precedent?

I think i shall stock up on protein shakes for the next 3 months.......

Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 12-06-2014 at 10:46 PM.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #3  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I use to have these scares. When I first moved to the city, my life went wrong. I was lucky to pay rent some times and it seemed everyone wanted to screw me over from room mates to scammy companies. I learned a lot during the past few years.

1) Budget. You have one, that's GOOD. Just remember you will need a "fun" part of the budget or you'll find it impossible to stick to. No one is capable of never going out with family or friends. Sometimes you can't afford to go the movies with the gang, but I personally discovered that if you don't have a budget for the occasional night out, you'll find a way to spend the money.

2) Try your hardest to set aside money every month into a savings. The main goal is to get 6 months of bills. This is the emergency fund. Sounds like you could have used one for the Vet and the plumber. When I first set up my savings, I couldn't afford to cut anything out my budget really, so I sold plasma. I was able to then add $280 a month into a savings account. It was "emergency only" and when my cat went to the vet, I was so thankful I spent all that time having my blood sucked. These days I'm a lot more lucky and can just put aside money from my pay check.

3) If you're not all ready, consider improving job skills through higher education and get a better paying job. Can be certificate for something like beauty school, or even a degree for accounting. Check Financial aid to see if you qualify for grants. IF that's not your route, you can look for a better paying job, ask your current one for a raise or see about a promotion. Beware of this, if you ask for either, you need good reasons why you deserve a raise or a promotion. I can go off for a while about asking, consider it that's the route you want to take. This is all dependent on if you're currently just not making enough money to set anything aside. Sometimes we make money, we just don't spend it wisely.

I have other hints, but I think I typed enough. I do know how it feels to have your money sucked out of you for unexpected events. And I also know what it's like to not have money set aside to handle it. I've sold many personal belongings, done many weird odd end jobs, sold blood, turked for $.05 every 5 minutes, freelance writing, and other odd things to make money. It took me a while to get financially stable. Paying off debts, cutting costs from my life, getting a degree (HUGE part of everything), and learning about credit and savings plans.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I needed to get a new pool cover .....1800 smackaroos....this pool isn't worth what its costing me for upkeep...the only reason i have it is because it came with the house...I am going to be living hand to mouth for a while It scares me that the holidays are around the corner....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bumping the thread a bit - I hope the cat made it through okay!

kurisitaru's advice is outstanding.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #6  
Medifast Dieter

S/C/G: 237/.../169

Height: 5'1"

I have a budget - but don't know if I have ever met it. Those little incidentals and miscellaneous expenses sure do add up quick.
ginamay28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/197/145

Height: 5'4"

I keep a constant tab on my money and save anything I can, which is not that often. I hold myself accountable for every penny I spend.
FatAbbi is offline   Reply With Quote