Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Default It was soo much easier to Not gain weight during college. I wonder Why???

When I was in my 20's I could drop weight just by holding a container of Slim Fast and visualizing(-10 Lbs).

Then of course Freshman year in college, where most late teens gain 15 Lbs, I was stressed over the transition of wearing school uniforms. Following 12 consecutive years of having worn Catholic School uniforms; I suppose I kind of did just the opposite of, " The Freshman Spread."

To me college was so exciting, especially when it meant getting to wear jeans and nice sweaters to college in the middle of the season most appropriate, yey! So, I suppose that I was a bit overly excited over the freedom to choose what I got to wear daily.

Also, when it was cold, the cafeteria was always accessible. There was always tempting cafeteria food to feast on, whenever we wanted to eat something yummy...

Then the other exciting factor was the huge pool that I got swim laps and laps and laps in daily. Plus, take as many other PE classes as my little heart desired.

Also, that year I was Invited to join the school Journalism 101 class which was responsible for distributing a weekly school news paper. I love writing, I enjoy writing,I have a passion for writing, but I hate Deadlines. I am not good with being creative while having to meet a deadline. I did not realize this, of course, until I was a member of this Journalism 101 class.

So, the deadline stuff, plus having a full load of college classes, plus the stress of having to go to work at night, and cram for tests after work at home was a bit much for me. I experienced so much pressure in having a ,"Full Plate" that I tossed my waffles quite a few times in between classes.

I wasn't one to run right to the doctors office, and I was in between medical coverage. I wasn't even familiar with Health Counseling at that time. So, I'm not sure how I overcame my stress during that time in college. I think I just worked harder, and concentrated more on school, and then my retail job became more like a social outlet for me.

In school I was usually in the library, if I wasn't in class or running around with the Zoo Crew of the school newspaper.

My retail job really helped me though. I was just more able to relax and meet people whom I never would have met if I had never ventured out into the mall for my 1st college job.

I even made girlfriends with gals whom I knew only from my retail job. So, they were a break from the school mind set, and we never talked "School." We just kind of kicked it in between breaks at work, and lived in ,"The Moment."

Some of my retail friends were by my side after I transferred to my local University. I was surprised to see them there, but it was nice to transfer on to a new school, and have a few good old acquaintances from work there too.

Anyhow, I think my retail job helped me Not to become a victim of, "The Freshman Spread." The managers,and my female acquaintances at work were all in really nice shape, and kind of set the standards for my body image, at that time too.

Looking back in retrospect, I had an infatuative crush on 1 of my male class mates during my freshman year of college too. I think that a bit of love in my heart and soul also kept me from porking out too much. I felt embarrassed to even eat in front of my secret crush. He was in the same class as myself, and seemed to notice everything about me. I felt as though he were kind of like a, "Secret spy." He even noticed when I lost weight. Goodness he never said much, if I had gained any at that time.

Back then, no one ever mentioned when a person gained weight. That always seemed Tabu in my circle of friends and acquaintances.

Mentioning weight gain was only acceptable if it was really obvious weight gain, like tummy fat on a pregnant chick, as we were that in college(Not pregnant though.)

Bye: 1Bluerose68

Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 08-05-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Revised edition 8/3/14
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I gained a ton of weight in college thanks to my school's excellent ability to make heaping piles of deliciously hot and salty french fries whenever I asked for them. I looooved my school cafe and I ate everything in sight.

So I'm no help with your question.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #3  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Yup, that wonderful, amazing twenty something metabolism. Just hold a can of Slim Fast and visualize.

I was the "starving student". I used to treat myself to that bagel with heaps of cream cheese, those piles of salty fries and other good school cafateria food, but for the most part, I survived on peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen. I always gained weight when I was dating someone because I'd be taken out for regular meals. I rarely worked out and never "dieted".

But I remember in my 20s, and again in my 30s, I dieted to lose weight and it came off a lot faster than it is now. I swear I will not gain anything back after this, because if it's this hard now, losing in my 50s and 60s would be a living nightmare.

I think working in retail is a big help because you're standing, walking and moving. You also can't snack while you're on the floor. You wait until your breaks. It sounds like you had great friendships and plenty to keep your mind occupied. It's a lot easier to turn to food when you're bored. Not wanting to seem piggy around other people helps.

I find that the starving student mentality is ingrained in me, sadly, even to this day. I have plenty of food, and I'm not close to starving. Yet, put me in a room full of food, and I will eat it like it's the last meal I will see in days!

Two years ago, I was a caregiver and I would walk 3 miles a day, just at work, a 7.5 hour shift. If I exercised too, I'd be at 20K steps a day. Now I stand all day, I'm lucky to have 5,000 steps at the end of a 10 hour shift, and I've gained 20 pounds since i started working there. It's also very stressful to the point that I know I'll be looking for a new job soon.

I'm also 40-something and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. That's the difference between now and the college years.

Last edited by twinieten; 08-22-2014 at 11:35 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #4  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Alas, I'm with Snarky. I'm actually finding it easier to lose weight now, but that doesn't mean easy. I have a lot more control over when/what I eat now, I guess.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/185/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
Yup, that wonderful, amazing twenty something metabolism. Just hold a can of Slim Fast and visualize.

I was the "starving student". I used to treat myself to that bagel with heaps of cream cheese, those piles of salty fries and other good school cafateria food, but for the most part, I survived on peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen. I always gained weight when I was dating someone because I'd be taken out for regular meals. I rarely worked out and never "dieted".

But I remember in my 20s, and again in my 30s, I dieted to lose weight and it came off a lot faster than it is now. I swear I will not gain anything back after this, because if it's this hard now, losing in my 50s and 60s would be a living nightmare.

I think working in retail is a big help because you're standing, walking and moving. You also can't snack while you're on the floor. You wait until your breaks. It sounds like you had great friendships and plenty to keep your mind occupied. It's a lot easier to turn to food when you're bored. Not wanting to seem piggy around other people helps.

I find that the starving student mentality is ingrained in me, sadly, even to this day. I have plenty of food, and I'm not close to starving. Yet, put me in a room full of food, and I will eat it like it's the last meal I will see in days!

Two years ago, I was a caregiver and I would walk 3 miles a day, just at work, a 7.5 hour shift. If I exercised too, I'd be at 20K steps a day. Now I stand all day, I'm lucky to have 5,000 steps at the end of a 10 hour shift, and I've gained 20 pounds since i started working there. It's also very stressful to the point that I know I'll be looking for a new job soon.

I'm also 40-something and my metabolism isn't what it used to be. That's the difference between now and the college years.
yes, perhaps I'll go back to that old school mode if I enroll at my local jc for a few classes like Spanish refresher(cr/nc), ceramic sculpture and poetry.

Who knows, I'll bring that old can of slim fast and look at it every tim e I enter the campos and measure my waist 1x per week to see if my plan of action/visualization and old school memories will put me back a few decades.

I really do need a Spanish refresher course. I'm so flustered, because I earned my degree after 8 yrs of college and yet still need another lang to speak fluently to even land a job interview.......

So what do hearing impaired job applicants do, learn charades for the job if they must prove they are worthy answering telephones and to prove they know ASL, or signing exact English.

I had foreign immigrant parents and they were NOT even allowed to teach me their mother tongue. Now I get the double whammy of societal punishment and must learn to speak a language that they could not teach me, and therefore making my competition in the job force after college even more challenging.

I would have been way ahead Like Sputnik if mom just began talking to me in Hungarian and dad in Gaelic from the darn very get go!!!!!

Now I'm feeling so very delayed and I'm always efficiently prompt like my European relatives and friends.....i Just can't win i suppose...

.Wish i was born a whale, wouldn't even have to diet, or schmooze in ASL or learn a totally different language than what mom and dad had spoken to each other at home. This challenge is like The Amerikan Berlin Wall 2!!!!!!! AAAARGHHHHHHH!!!

Sincerely,
1Bluerose68

Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 09-01-2014 at 12:43 AM.
1Bluerose68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/197/145

Height: 5'4"

Focus on the good. Quit obsessing. You do not seem to enjoy the journey at all. Weight loss is awful, ugly, painful, hard, but it's a wonderful experience where you get to meet yourself, make friends, feel good, and look great.

The difference between an ordeal and an experience is, attitude.

Try a positive twist and you may feel better and be more successful.
FatAbbi is offline   Reply With Quote