40-Somethings June Chat Thread

You're on Page 6 of 11
Go to
  • Quote: Get back on that horse!! :-) I finally had a good day yesterday after alot of giving in to the sugar monster and had a nice whoosh this morning....yay!
    YAYYYYYYYYY!! I think once you cut the sugar habit the rest is a bit easier. I'm fine with giving up pasta and rice and sugar...giving up bread is a whole other story....baby steps...

funny thing is after you give up sugar and you do have it finally it tastes different.....you don't want alot of it.....
  • Quote: Hi all....a happy Fathers day out to the world. I sure wish I still had my Dad, miss him so much.
    Me too Zumba
  • Miss my Dad today as well. I do hope that I'm as good a father as he was to me.

Spent the day at Angus Barn in Raleigh at the Father's day event. Ate pretty well, but drank too much... We'll see the toll it takes tomorrow...
  • Happy Father's Day, andrew, and any lurking dads! That Barn looks like a neat place.

Yee-haw for getting back in the saddle Zumba - the self-sabotage question is a tough one for sure. I imagine your BF% is pretty good, considering all your activity - those numbers will move sloowwllyy. :P

Shannon, yay for your whoosh! Still haven't heard from Rennie? Hope everything is all right in her world...

I've been tending to my kitchen garden - I call it my pot garden since it's grown entirely in 5 gallon pots! I love to watch the little seeds sprout into lovely producing plants. Grow, my pretties, grow!
  • Quote: Miss my Dad today as well. I do hope that I'm as good a father as he was to me.

Spent the day at Angus Barn in Raleigh at the Father's day event. Ate pretty well, but drank too much... We'll see the toll it takes tomorrow...
    Andrew, I assume you must be in the area then....you, me and Rennie are neighbors! We were just at Angus in May for our anniversary...oh my, yum!
  • Wow catching up from the 10th

Zumba good job on the Zumba pants and I am glad you have found out that weight loss isn't impossible for you. I just think it's harder for you because you are already so active But glad you are on the move now Clowns Zumba hope you feel better (phlegm gone) and keep your head up, you've got this weight loss thing, you're working hard at it and it will pay off Zumba wish my Dad were still here also Here's to fond memories ... I can give up rice and pasta, no problem at all. Sugar and bread are the devil. With sugar I have found that when I want something sweet now nothing is sweet enough so I just keep eating. Bread I will toast it, butter it, add some spread on it, add anything to it and it's all over, smh.

Zumba and Shannon, sugar, carbs period (powerful) ... I've had over a week of them, smh.

Michelle I liked both those movies also, maybe I'll see Edge of Tomorrow when it comes to RedBox on being chipless (I ate enough for you last week to last you a month ) ok I'm guessing I do like Sci-Fi movies because I like those two movies also. But I like Tom Cruise so maybe it doesn't count . Yep I've seem Cabin in the Woods. I think I've seen most horror movies.

Shannon, nope to clowns Shannon, I want you to know the imagination thing doesn't go away, Rissa is 10 and she has a wild imagination. She is really into Lion King and made these mask. She scared the mess out of two of the boys because they weren't expecting to turn around and see her looking like that and then she will pounce around so it's funny. YAY for a good day on the 12th which gave you a whoosh on the 13th and thanks for checking on me

andrew, sorry about the exertion from being Mr. MOM ... my hat is off to you. I told my husband it isn't easy being me but then it would be for him because when I was working, they would text me to ask for something even with him sitting right here because they said, "Daddy just says wait till Mommy gets home or ask your Mother!" so I'm never not in the game Glad to hear you are still OP through it all, way to go Andrew the most scary for me were the original Exorcist and the original Evil Dead. Oh another group of movies I don't like to watch are Zombie movies ... not in-tuned with the thought of the deceased walking around but I did like Quarantine YAY for your wife's return yesterday since I'm still catching up. Good job on making it to the gym and on the scale Sorry you aren't sleeping well. I have those times also, not sure why. They just come and go I think decreasing carbs plays a huge role in our eating. It surely does for me. ... I'm around. I get lost when I don't have good days and not logging on MFP. For some reason if I don't log my food, I tend to stay away from 3FC also. But I'm back I hope, thanks for looking for me HAPPY FATHER'S DAY Andrew, I was up that way today, my daughter and her husband live in the Brier Creek area, small world

Cattails, horror movies use to scare me when I was younger. I'd think about them for days (vivid imagination) now I'm so analytical it drives my family nuts to watch anything with me. They say, "It's just a movie" I'm here Cattails, thanks for asking

tymaboy, I agree it doesn't get any easier the older they get. At least not here. We have four still at home, 16 (17 in Oct), 15 (16 in Dec), 13 and 10. Each one is so different from the other so I am constantly learning. We also have a married 21 year old that when it's convenient she's still a child also

I have to tell you (my internet buddies), you make my heart smile, thanks for caring enough to ask about me, it's good to know others are thinking about you

Well my splurging has brought the scale up to 165.6 can you say ouch!!! But I'm ok. I have had my fill of munchies and I hope that I am done. I have had only 704 calories today and even though that is 204 calories higher than the 5:2 low day it is waaaaaaaay better than the days I have had this past week so I'll take it
  • Down only 1 pound this week -- My own fault. Too much fun yesterday. If I had stayed away from the liquid calories I would have been fine, but alas, it is what it is and I have to stay away from it for a while now. Going to the Beach for a week in 2 weeks and I was hoping to be closer to 225, but I don't think I can get there now on my current plan. I don't really want to change my plan either, so I will just have to suck it up. DW made it home safely and we have had some discussions about how we want to eat going forward. We're going to make some immediate changes, but the bulk of our changes won't be until we get back from the beach. We are going to attempt to go gluten free for 3 months to see how we feel. I am also going to try to eat very low carb, and sugar free. We'll see how that goes.

cattails Thanks! I went with some of the guys from my neighborhood and we had a lot of fun. It's a neat place.

Rennie Thanks and Welcome back!

Shannon Yep, I've been in the Raleigh area now coming up on 3 years. The food was REALLY good. Got a lot of good grilling tips too.
  • andrew good job on the pound, smile my friend, it's only water weight, you'll be down more tomorrow get your water in today

my eating yesterday paid off ... I'm so happy with me. Day one down and many to go I am down 2.4 to 163.2 today, let's hope I can keep it moving
  • Just popping in for a few. Busy day again.

Had to H(ubby) to his physical therapy appointment bright & early this AM. He is still recovering from his stroke in late Feb. He's doing good, but combine it with his diabetes & he's still struggling. Balance & strength.

I'm doing pretty fair. I've been eating better & definitely been exercising more. I'm walking 30-45 mins 4-6 times a week & if I feel up to it & it's not too hot, I do that twice a day (morning & evening). I did start menopause in March or April. Love those hot flashes, just wish they'd burn the tons of calories they feel like they should!!!

I've got to take him in for some testing at the drs. office, go to the pharmacy & on & on & on the list goes.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to see what everyone is up to. But time always seems so short. Don't have internet at home. Oh, well....

Have a good day! Be healthy!
  • MrsTryingAgain, sorry to hear of your DH's stroke, glad that he's doing as well as can be. Your days are challenging for sure; good for you doing positive things for your own health, it's easy to get swallowed up in the caretaker duties, but you are very important too!

Rennie!! I'm so happy to see you here! Good going on the 2.4, you'll be settled back into the 150's in no time - you've got this! Gosh, I hear you on the Mom-on-call aspect; I don't know how many times my kids have called me for help with something when I'm out of the house and I ask them "Where's your dad?" "He's right here." "Then ask HIM!" LOL

andrew, that's awesome you and your DW are working on changes together! A lot of us (like me) are going this solo and it's an uphill battle. Kudos to you both, your whole family will be so much better off. And welcome back to your DW, hope her trip was a good one.
  • Well I"m back over 150...today is a "fast" day.....have to bring that scale below 150 for my own mental health.

Not having the greatest time right now,,,older son decided he doesn't want to be here anymore and he's staying with his Dad this week, I hope its just while he studies for finals......he will be off to college soon and I just want to spend as much time with him that i can, is that so wrong?
  • Another day, another day on plan. Starting to recover a bit from my weekends' activities. Spent the evening on the boat with the kids and it was fun, but it also means I didn't get my run in. /sigh. Forgot all my snacks this morning which isn't good, but since there is nothing here to eat, it's not bad either.

Gail Good job trying to stay with it. Life does get in the way frequently.

cattails Yeah, DW is going through Menopause and the hot flashes are killing her, so she's willing to try some dietary changes to see if that helps. It's funny, DW and I usually aren't on the same schedule diet wise. When I'm doing it, she's not, and when she's doing it, I'm not. So that has always been a struggle for both of us. We're at least trying to get on the same page.

Rennie Yeah, I keep telling myself that too, still a little out of sorts today. Definitely need to get some more water in me.
  • Can I just tell you how tired I am? My dog has bronchitis and is coughing (if you've never heard this think of a very loud honking goose). He has woken me up the last two nights and kept me up for hours. He started medication yesterday but it could be a few days before the coughing shows improvement. He normally sleeps with me but he is probably going to have to sleep downstairs tonight. I am really falling apart tired. End of whining session (for now, no promises about later, lol).
  • MrsTryingAgain, ditto what Cattails said

Thanks Cattails I'm trying. I think I got MOST of my binging out last week, I hope LOL that Mom-on-call is just crazy and funny my husband sometimes gets mad when the call or text but he tells them to wait for me, they just don't want to wait

Zumba nothing wrong with that at all Hoping you have a positively OP fast day and the 150's will be history soon

andrew, hot flashes are a beast so I feel for her What changes is she making to help with them? I'd like to give them a try, can't hurt Whew out on your boat yesterday evening was a little scary for a moment. I had to pick my son up early from football practice. Thank goodness we didn't get those 60 mph winds. We'll have to get our water in on Thursday for sure the high is supposed to be 99. May have to hit the pool with the kids

Shannon I hope you can get some rest today Yes I know the sound, it's loud and horrid. Hope the meds kick in soon for him.

I am down another 2lbs to 161.2 ... I thought I had blown it because of some home fried potatoes but thank goodness I decided to eat my fiber plus cereal instead of frosted flakes, I think it played a role with my tons of water
  • Still held captive by the poor sick hacking dog. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to cancel my trip Thurs/Fri....my mom's house is a smaller one story and there is nowhere I'd be able to put him that his coughing wouldn't keep everyone awake. I guess I will decide on Thurs morning based on how Wed night goes. I really don't look forward to cancelling bc I'll have to cancel/reschedule a house showing, cancel/reschedule dropping off all this baby stuff to my sister-in-law which is currently filling the cargo section of my car and half my living room and possibly cancel lunch with my aunt on Friday plus Olivia will be sad, her birthday is in a couple days and she's really excited about seeing family this week. Oh well, we will see how the next 24 hours go. I've gotta go pack some snacks/entertainment for our (long) wait at the car service place tomorrow. I need an oil change, my AC looked at and some kind of boot thing changed. I simply cannot wait to spend three or more hours there with a 3.9 year old. I'm so excited I'm just giddy.....Not! We went from three vehicles where I never ever sat at any car place for anything to now two vehicles with one in Atlanta, not helping me very much. Such bad timing!

Andrew, where do you go out to boat? We are practically next to Falls Lake (at the dam) but have to drive pretty far to put our jetski in bc there is no boat ramp there.

Rennie yay for weight coming down!!

Zumba, you will be there again :-)