40-Somethings: Struggles Welcome Here

You're on Page 2 of 8
Go to
  • The day turned out ok-ish, so apparently it wasn't a portent. It was just gross.
  • I'm actually beginning to go stir crazy (reallllly awful weather here). I need to MOVE!!! Maybe my thyroid is getting better.
  • May I join you? I'm hitting the loss trail again after getting too far over my somewhat fuzzy red line (152). It's just been a real bear finding "the zone" again. I can point to some old bad habits such as crunchy/salty snack foods and general portion size creep - but there are a couple new challenges that sometimes get the best of me. Primarily, there's a DS14 in my house. He is a lovely human being, however - he still is a teenage boy. I'm also feeling some effects of hormonal stuff that didn't exist a couple of years ago, namely some wicked PMS cravings that in a week can wreck the rest of a decent month, calorie-wise.

Michelle, good on you to not let dog barf dictate the rest of the day. I am sort of curious about how that happened, I confess!

Melissa, I remember when I was first treated for low thyroid, I was blown away by how much more energy I had. It's amazing how incredibly good we can feel when things are in balance! Just wanting to move and get out there is a great start.
  • Welcome ICU! "Recovering Pantry Pest" <-- that makes me laugh!

Like a fool and a fool's husband, we allow our dogs on the bed at night. I have long hair that spreads out over my pillow... and the bed... and anything else within range. My hair is out of control. Duncan, the doggy barfer, was apparently bedding down on my hair when he decided to suddenly -- with no warning -- yak up vomity bile all over my hair (and the pillow, and the bed).

Lesson learned: always wear a shower cap in bed and use plastic sheets for easy clean up.
  • Michelle, that just sounds like Date Night to me. Just kidding. Sort of. And I mean the shower cap and sheeting, not the bile. Bwahahahaha!
  • LOL! Is baby oil involved? Oh the stories I could tell.

I think my 8.2 pounds of weight gain in one month (and actually I think I gained that in less than 28 days) was mostly due to salty/crunchy things and excessive boozles to wash them down. So I'm definitely avoiding those.
  • Quote: Welcome ICU! "Recovering Pantry Pest" <-- that makes me laugh!

Like a fool and a fool's husband, we allow our dogs on the bed at night. I have long hair that spreads out over my pillow... and the bed... and anything else within range. My hair is out of control. Duncan, the doggy barfer, was apparently bedding down on my hair when he decided to suddenly -- with no warning -- yak up vomity bile all over my hair (and the pillow, and the bed).

Lesson learned: always wear a shower cap in bed and use plastic sheets for easy clean up.
    OMG.... Imagining that... what a way to wake up! YUCK!
  • What a great thread, Shannon. Thank you for starting it! I see many familiar posters from other threads I'm on, but this seems like it could be a home base for me.

Two years ago I reached an all-time adult low weight of 144 pounds. My goal was 140. I was soooo close! While I know a promotion into new (and increased) job responsibilities, some romantic woes, and a few physical injuries have played a part in my weight gain, I do think I hit point where the weight was coming off almost effortlessly that I took it for granted. For over a year I've been trying to regain that "magic', that complete and total focus I had but I haven't been able too. I've become introspective and have asked a lot of questions. Weight loss will be different this time. I'm trying to understand and appreciate those differences without becoming resentful of them or overwhelming myself with self-judgement.
  • Hi, Curvy! Thanks for reminding me to thank Shannon for starting it! We have a neat thread going in the Maintainer's forum right now about "did you ever wonder why/who you're doing all this for?" It is a very important question!

Yesterday was a good day. I did have an unplanned dessert, but in the grand scheme of the day I would call it a win. There were social aspects of the dessert that outweighed (ironic pun) the caloric impact. When a teenage son is feeling sociable, I'll throw myself on a dessert grenade to keep the conversation going!
  • This is not 'typical' struggles but I'm getting irritated with my hubby. He keeps saying I am losing weight to leave him. It is no secret that I am not happy about the state of our marriage but I am not losing weight to leave him. I am just trying to get my own self healthy. We have an almost 4 yr old and I struggle to keep up with her. Hubby is extremely overweight. He is generally supportive of my efforts (congratulates me, etc) but I think my losing is making him feel more frustrated by his own lack of motivation or whatever. Anyway, somedays I feel like it's just causing more tension in an already overly tension filled situation.
  • Shannon, I do think it's a very real struggle! Making lifestyle changes is really upsetting to the people around us. It's great that he supports you, though. All you can do is acknowledge his insecurity and keep reassuring him that the marriage and family are important to you and that your getting healthy is one of your ways of showing it.
  • Shannon -- that is very difficult, because he may grow even more insecure as you continue to progress. It would be nice if he were inspired by your awesome progress and decide to join you! But whatever he chooses to do, you just keep going!
  • Quote: Hi, Curvy! Thanks for reminding me to thank Shannon for starting it! We have a neat thread going in the Maintainer's forum right now about "did you ever wonder why/who you're doing all this for?" It is a very important question!
    Thanks, ICU. I couldn't agree more. On your suggestion I read the comments and found myself repeatedly nodding in agreement. So much experience and truth there! Unraveling our personal psychology and motivation is both enlightening and a bear sometimes.
  • Quote: This is not 'typical' struggles but I'm getting irritated with my hubby. He keeps saying I am losing weight to leave him. It is no secret that I am not happy about the state of our marriage but I am not losing weight to leave him. I am just trying to get my own self healthy. We have an almost 4 yr old and I struggle to keep up with her. Hubby is extremely overweight. He is generally supportive of my efforts (congratulates me, etc) but I think my losing is making him feel more frustrated by his own lack of motivation or whatever. Anyway, somedays I feel like it's just causing more tension in an already overly tension filled situation.
    Shannon this is a very real struggle so please don't underplay it. While I've never been married it's interesting to see where the thoughts of others go when someone in their life loses weight. After I had lost about 40 pounds a friend's boyfriend commented to her that "she could really date any man now". Lots of things ran through my head like, huh? Was I undateable before? Mostly I was puzzled because like you, I wanted my health back more than anything. I was focused on what my body could do day-to-day and how the pain was dissipating, not in who I could attract.

It is good that he has shown you support. You're a loving, supportive spouse and I hope he recognizes that in you and realizes that your weight loss commitment has nothing to do with your commitment to him or your marriage. and good luck!
  • Quote: After I had lost about 40 pounds a friend's boyfriend commented to her that "she could really date any man now".
    Niiiice. I feel bad for your friend that she is dating such a schlub!