Putting weight ON is so much easier than taking it OFF.

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I'm feeling more confident with each day that passes that I can bounce right back and feel good, so thanks you guys for giving me that confidence and dragging me out of the down-in-the-dumps!
  • Quote: I'm feeling more confident with each day that passes that I can bounce right back and feel good, so thanks you guys for giving me that confidence and dragging me out of the down-in-the-dumps!
    So glad to hear that Michelle!
  • Bravo for admitting your diet snafu and making strides to get back on the right path. I have gotten so angry at my bathroom scale that I have wanted to literally throw it! I overindulged and gained back seven pounds in three days. But, I just put on my big girl pants, sucked it up, and pushed onward.
  • For stress, i have learnt to tackle it sooner rather than later. I know we always don't know what the best thing to do is but if you at least decide to tackle it sooner, a solution will probably come forward sooner.

for me, finding a counsellor to talk to always helps a lot!!! I can't stress that enough. Pardon the pun.

And keeping talking to the person as often as you need until the problems are resolved.

With regard to the food side, this time and in future, i'm determined that life difficulties are not going to force me off my wagon. Part of my determination comes from knowing how hard it is to pick myself up after a fall and the other from having such confidence in my current plan.

So at most, with stress, i would suggest eating a little more at meal times. Ease up on the calorie restriction so this way its planned and i would still eat good foods not the ones that cause me to lose the plot. In fact, don't even try to lose weight under stress conditions. Rather eat at maintenance calories so reduce the appetite and focus on dealing with the problem.

Right now i am procrastinating but i've learnt to do denial quite well so i'm not stressing. But i'm far from perfect.

So i do hope you can get back to it and maybe just start by going back to maintenance calories and eating tons of fruit and vegies. I have really found and am somewhat surprised at how good physically i am feeling because of the variety and bulk of good things in my diet.

Make a firm decision to start this instant and start doing the stuff you have to do. The next time you want to eat make sure its good food, not the carby stuff. chuck out all the junk, count calories, buy lots of vegies and start cooking salads, and fruit. And drinking lots of water. Talk to yourself positively a lot. Positive reinforcement. Lots of that. Avoid looking at, seeing, and thinking about other foods. Change the tv channel. I don't watch a lot of commercial tv but i've noticed that there is a lot of food advertising which can't be helpful.\

Oh i've just seen i didn't read the second page. So its good to see you are on the up again.
  • Quote:
    Mmmm.... I'm not sure you can really count your "flying overseas, changing my diet a bit, coming back from overseas and seeing the scale has gone up 8 pounds" a true weight gain. Those are fluctuations as your body goes "Whoa!" flying.... different diet.... different awake and sleep times... flying again.... LET'S HOLD WATER!!!

Then, a few days of back to normal and WHOOSH!!! That weight goes away.
    No, I eat a ton when I travel. Not junk mind you and as you state. But if I am at the best restaurant in x, I'm not going to pick a salad! I'm in it for five courses.
  • It is scary how old habits are lurking in the shadows ready to attempt a return if given the chance.

It is gratifying how quickly getting back to healthy habits can shine a light in the dark corners.

The slippery slope is tough whether it's a few pounds or a few dozen pounds, I'm scrabbling back up trying to get back on unslippery land...

I just came back from a vacation where I was relatively "good" basically got exercise, ate healthier foods than I would have in the past, but on returning home I felt like slacking off, not tracking, not getting the same level of activity, drinking some extra calories...got to the grocery store, got back on plan for a few days, now I feel like my new old self, if that makes any sense. The first day back on was super tough, the next day better and now I feel again like I'm back.

Mrs Snark you're an inspiration, we've got this!

• Kelijpa - thanks for the encouragement!

I have no doubt that we can both find our way off the slope and onto flat, solid ground! I know for sure what lies at the bottom of the mountain if I fly off the edge, and for all the difficulty that weight maintenance can throw at me, it is still better (waaaay better) than giving up!

And you're right, it is the first couple of days that are the hardest!
  • Quote: ... and for all the difficulty that weight maintenance can throw at me, it is still better (waaaay better) than giving up!
    So, sooooo true!
  • So I took the gain back off in a month, so YAY for not allowing the pound-pile-on to get worse, right?

Posting my food in my blog (as boring and as repetitive as it is) really helped me keep focus and gave my mind something to do while chafing against impatience. I'm so not a patient person.
  • Yes I agree. It all goes back to ,"The set point theory of weight loss." Some famous scientist found in his Longitudinal weight loss research that many dieters,Not all, but many have a set point for the body's level of weight loss comfort.

If the dieter goes below this range, even by 1 lb it begins a see saw effect or yo yo result in dieting. Long term results were studied, and most dieters who lost weight would usually rebound back to a level of at least what is expected by the Metropolitan Health ht/wt acceptability chart.

So if one was 5'9 and wanted to be 125 lbs forever, eventually, and especially in our 40Something years, and esp for women, they would eventually chunk back up to about 145Lbs. This actually is the acceptable weight for a lady of 5'9.

Therefore, depending on how she lost her weight, either exercise or say bulimia induced, or only fasting and nothing else. One day that woman will inevitably chunk up to a weight that is safe and comfortable for her height and weight, and that's just the theory which i read.

Also, if 1 enters a treatment program to bring their weight up to speed; they may use this type of a ht/wt chart. Therefore if a woman was always at the weight of say 125, but she's 5'9. They would probably ? how she stayed at the low weight of 125 before she became actually diagnosed with an eating disorder(type ?).

Thus they might require a woman to gain enough to weigh at least 145 lbs before medically releasing her. This is because if a female stopped having her menses for many years, even before becoming diagnosed as actively having an (ED ?); they may require evidence of Return of Menses prior to medical release of patient.

Unfortunately, many med insurance policies may Not cover this length of the ED patient's stay, and may cut off her coverage after 3 months, whether or Not the patient has regained enough to have her menses return.

The remainder of the patient's bills could be $1000's of dollars per month, no longer covered by the health insurance either. The cost would then become, 100% the family's responsibility.

It could even become a court battle if it were a minor and parents would be responsible in finding a source to pay this bill while the youth remained in recovery until she chunked up enough for a "medical clearance"....This could be very costly, much more than braces even.....

1 recovery requirement could be that she regain enough to experience her menses again. For many females this may be at the chart level for wt/height...i.e,(5'9 = 145 and No Less) .

P.S, it's Definitely more costly to put the weight back on in cases of ED's too.....

Am i still in the U.S.A????? Or, is my Name is Dorothy?????

1Bluerose68
  • Congrats, it looks like you are really losing weight according to your stats.