February 2014 40-Somethings' Chat

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • SUM, Leave the scale at home!!!

You are going up to 8000 or 10,000 ft from maybe 600 ft above sea level. This is gonna mess with your water retention. Plus you will be outside and skiing presumably. You are gonna MAJORLY burn calories, but the elevation issues may mask that, weight-wise. Enjoy the mountains. Don't let the scale be your tyrant. What is weight anyways? Just your relationship to gravity. I think it was 2fatcats that said that here once.

Don't bother with the scale! But eat well. You know how to do that. I know you do.
  • I also think I should mention that the elevation of ski resorts can have really deleterious effects on us Midwesterners. I once spent 18 hours sick in bed in Breckinridge. In retrospect, it was altitude sickness, and I probably should have gone to lower elevation, but I was too naïve to know.

If any one of your family feels flu-ishly nauseous and/or their heart is pounding, just be aware it could be the altitude.

Sorry for the downer.

Have fun !!! Don't miss the backside of Vail. That is some of my favorite skiing on the planet! (ok, I haven't skied that much of the planet, just North America)
  • The crocuses and snow drops are coming up! Spring is coming!

Huzzah!

I have resumed regular walkies (I don't go if the temp is below freezing- I broke my foot on the cellar stairs a few years ago and if there's an ice patch to be found and slipped on, I'm pretty reliable, lol) and am really loving it. I'm considering taking up jogging. What do you all think?
  • In Colorado, posting this from my phone. No patience for personals. I hiked 6 difficult miles yesterday. 3 miles uphill now my hamms are sore.
  • Go Sums!

I realised when I got home from my walkies yesterday that my wii fit pedometer had fallen off somewhere! Waaaaaaaaaah!
    Also, I think I'm gonna need new shoes if I run. I'm pretty sure mine are shot...
  • I left the scale home :-) But friend's house has a scale and I am up a pound. Not too bad considering I am on a vacation. The altitude is kind of hard to deal with, I get so winded easy,and iI tthought I was in good condition.
    I did not work out at the hotel, but I am getting a lot of walking in.

Weather has been sunny, boys are disappointed that there is no powder
  • I have been having trouble sticking to any kind of plan. I'm good for a few days and then fizzle out for a few. Any tips for getting over the 4th day hump? My kids have all been taking turns being sick, so that takes a bit out of me, but I feel like I am basically super lazy lately. I lost a teeney bit, which made me happy and inspired yesterday, but I'm back to bleh today. It is probably really important to be good today, because if the scale goes back up I will be sad.
    Salad for dinner...
    Sum, I am so jealous of your vacation! I need one bad. Have fun!
  • I wish I had some advice Apple, I'd be a millionaire :-) I guess it just takes a lot of all power. I have been carb free since the beginning of the year and I don't have cravings anymore.
    I just found some Finnish licorice and bought some about too hours ago and I don't even want any. Old me would have been all over the sweets.

Still in Colorado. We finally got some snow, about a foot at the hills. Boys are so happy. I liked the sunny days.... Lol... Today I am cold.
    We are in Vail and the mountain looks really nice. I liked the village part.

I broke my ankle five years ago and I have so much hardware in it that I can't wear a ski boot. There are only two things I can't do, ski and run. DH wants me to have the hardware take out that I could ski again... It would mean eight weeks in a cast. I may do it once I am at goal weight.

Our friends scale is being very kind to me. According to it I have lost 1 1/2 pounds here. I will wait and see what my home scale says before I get all excited. The scale may be totally off. I just wish for no gain or at least no more than a pound.
  • So, what's everyone doing this weekend?
  • Derrrrr.... Well, that explains why you're not skiing, Sum; I just asked you in another thread before I got around to reading this one, so feel free to ignore the question. Snowshoeing?

Apple Blossom- what's the weather like where you are? This has a huge effect on my energy levels and 'in a rut' feelings... If I'm feeling "bleh" I go inspect the moss on the trees. Anyway, I don't really have a "program" and I think that's part of my (slow) success. I still have pizza every weekend- I just keep it reasonable and keep moving.

Mezmerelda, I'm pruning trees, lol! and going for walkies, as always... You?
  • Lol, Susan. Sometimes having two threads is wealth of information
    I did not do any showshoeing during this vacation. I just bummed about the villages, hung at Starbucks and read books. It was leisurely.

mezmerelda Hey there! Wondered about you. What's happening with you? -- I spent the weekend driving 1300 miles
  • Back home!

I slept in late, which I never do. And it felt sooooo good! I am having a hard time getting my day started and it is already early afternoon.

I lost 2 pounds on my vacation, and I am so excited over it. I won't meet my monthly goal, but a loss is a loss. I am heading at right direction, and that is the only thing that matters, right?

I am only a few pounds away from fitting into my size 6 clothing. Totally geeked about it. I really don't have many pieces in that size, mostly summer stuff. -- I have never shopped second hand, but I am thinking about doing that. Size 6 is not my goal, 2/4 is and I have a feeling I won't stay at that size for very long. So why spend a fortune on new clothing, when I can get a few pieces second hand. -- We have an upscale second hand store in town, I could get some name brand jeans etc. Anyone shopped second hand stuff while losing weight?

I am also thinking about selling my stuff there. All those size 10 WHBM items are in great shape. I only have a few pieces in size 8. My closet is pretty limited. -- I have lots of tops to wear though. And who cares if I wear the same black bottoms

What amazes me. I was stuck at 10/12 FOR EVER. Like 25-30 pounds and now that I am getting smaller, the sizes just breeze by. I guess it is the toilet paper roll theory?

I am really struggling with my bodyimage though. One would think that losing weight would bring on more confidence. Not in my case. -- I am starting to look really good with clothes on, but clothes off, I feel very self-conscious. I look skinny fat -- Oh well, I will keep up my workouts, and eventually my toned underneath will surface.

I really need to get my day "started", so off to the gym I go...
  • Glad you had a great vacation, Sum! The body image thing is tough, and I was there when I was younger. I think I'm in the opposite situation now. I'm toned and look good naked, but I spend the majority of my time clothed. You'll get there soon.

Life has been crazy here. Work is too busy because we're short on staff. We had our old neighbors visit this weekend - I miss them and our old area.

I have to do this networking thing at one of the local universities this week (through work), and realized I need a suit. My suits decided they wanted to be donated before we moved, so I had to go buy a new one today. I was delighted to find that the size I expected to wear is too big - time for a smaller size! Despite how busy I've been, my stress levels have dropped and things are finally moving along after being stagnant for a bit. Go me.
  • May I join in?
    Hello, I'm actually 39 1/2 but since 40 is just a few months away I thought you all could let me slip by. I'm new here and new on ww (a week op). I'm searching for motivation and a buddy or two.
    Take Care

• Hi ChicaCoy. I saw you over in another thread- you've come to the right place. Welcome!

Mezmer- a suit! I've never owned a suit. I bet you look fab in it!

Sum- i've been stuck at my current size forever. It's been so long since I've been thin that I have no idea where "normal" will be for me, but I'm ready to move on!

Have a great, positive, on-plan weekend, everyone.