40-Somethings January 2014 Chat

You're on Page 4 of 9
Go to
  • Sum: I am doing okay. Trying hard to fight the battle. Scale was down today 211.8. Sadly I celebrated that with over eating by 500 calories. If I walk/run for 45 minutes it should all balance out. I just can't seem to get my head in the game. I have been better at eating fruits and vegetables but fail in having extra calories at night. I wish I had a tenth of your motivation but I remember last year when I was in the zone you weren't.
    Moondance& Amy: Welcome back.
    Mrs Snark: Hope your doing fine in sunny Florida. Us northerners are jealous.
    Kelipa: the cycling should be good. Dare I suggest you train for a triathalon. Secret dream of mine. Reality isn't getting there any time soon though.
    Marlene: Glad your eyes turned out okay.
    FatAbbi: I like Kelipa would not be able to do it without MFP. The biggest thing is to record it all. I also love the fact that when I am honest it tells me what my weight will be in 5 weeks. When I am bad it shocks me into reality. When I am good it gives me great motivation.
    Mezmerelday: Glad your feeling better. Stay warm.
  • I am giddy today. The Whoosh Fairy paid me a visit and I dropped 3.2 pounds yesterday I hope that it sticks -- Even though, I really love the whooses, it would be less nerve wrecking to see small losses each and every day. What do you think? Are you a whooser or a steady loser?

I have met my January plus Valentine's day goals (ironically they were the same).

Upping my exercise in conjunction with South Beach Diet seem to be working for me, at least for now.

Sending to all!
  • I am a steady loser, probably because I'm post-menopause. Congrats on your whoosh, Sum!
  • moondance keep coming on and reading, I've done that when not totally back in the game, at least my toe is still in the water or maybe I' m on the beach looking at the water, but not giving up on jumping back in. Hope you're feeling better soon, chicken noodle soup and hot tea with honey and lemon usually helps me, and alka seltzer plus cold medicine.

Sum you're doing great! I would imagine seeing the whoosh a few times now will help get you through those times when you're in a holding pattern. Congrats! I seem to bounce around with an overall downward trend, making some adjustments last month with food and exercise helped me break through a sort of plateau, I'm a big believer in looking at what I'm doing and adjusting my plan, especially after this last few weeks.

Carma you're on the right track, eating more fruits and veg, thinking about balancing food intake and exercise, sometimes we just have to wait out those slow times and call maintaining or a slow loss a success, it's better than gaining it all back plus some and starting all over, which I've done more than a few times. For me it's all lessons learned that are helping me to do a little better each time.

Snowing like mad outside, trying not to get bummed about that...

Best to all
  • well changed to sushi instead of Texas Road House. Did pretty well. Forgot my fit bit at home didn't grab it until 3 but got my 11000 step goal since 3pm so go me. I probably was more like 14000 at a minimum. Hoping it forgives the cold stone creamery overage I did. I had their raspberry sorbet 160 calorie cup. Go me.
  • I didn't formally exercise yesterday, but I got quite a workout anyway. Water pipe burst in my basement. I spent a lot of time on water clean up and lugging soaking towels up and down the stairs, late into the wee hours of the morning. Good news, however, as of an hour ago, we have water again in the house!! I am more of a handbag and escalator gal, so not having water available for 24 hours made me feel like I was on Survivor or something. Lowes was running extremely low to completely out of stock on pipe parts and cement adhesive... pipes have been bursting all over town in homes and businesses. MarleneV, I'm glad you have water as well now!
  • TooWicky,
    So sorry you had to deal with the clean up... That's not fun at all.

We have water in the house without having to mess around in the well house. However, I have to take care of our flock of ducks (that I didn't have anything to do with getting in the first place), and they require lots of water twice a day. I have to go in the well house, turn the line out to their pen on, let it pressurize, take care of them, and then turn the water off & drain the lines. My DH will be home tomorrow evening, so only 2 more times for me to do this. Then he can fix the broken parts that require me to go though this, and also take care of them himself...
  • Sorry about you problems with the house TooWicky! I LOL:ed about your survivor comment!!!

My whoosh stuck. I am happy about it...now my next goal is to get down to normal BMI and 30 pounds lost at 142 pounds...I can almost smell it.

I am starting to like my body once again...26 pounds gone and my shape is finally starting to emerge. Legs are looking shapelier than before and tummy has drastically gone down. -- Another 21 pounds and I will be very pleased how I look; no more hiding in the summer time; bikini here I come

I am so happy that I finally found my mojo. Perhaps the motivation will last all the way to 125 pounds

I tried on bunch of jeans last night. Jeans from Nine West finally fit, size 8/28. I only have a few more pairs that are a bit tight, I may need to drop another 5 pounds to fit into them....So today I'll be sporting my fancy Nive West jeans with a sexy top from Boston Proper #feelingpretty.
  • MarleneV Was this a vacation for your DD and DH or was it a work related trip? -- I don't know if you knew, but I was born and raised in Finland; I try to go back every year. I need to plan a trip this upcoming summer to see my mom. My sister lives in beautiful Portugal; hubby and I have talked about retiring there as some point. We really love the country.

Carma Nice job getting your 11000 steps in a few hours. I always want to kick myself when I forget to wear mine. I took 19000 steps yesterday, woohoo. Step aerobic and hike days are always high. -- Congrats on your trip to CS, I don't even go in when DS wants it because the smell would make me want to get something yummy and creamy.

kelijpa I hope you did not get snowed in. When is the warm front supposed to reach you? We have rain and fog today. Snow is melting before our eyes. It is nearly 40F outside and it feels heavenly.

Heidi I hope your job is going well. How are you adjusting being a working mom?

Moondance Sorry that you got sick. I hope you are feeling better! Any more plays in your future?

Leeh Stay strong! Moment on the lips, eternity on the hips!

to everyone else!!!
  • Sum we did make it out yesterday,thanks to DH, I probably would have stayed home, so glad we got out,we had a great walk on the rail trail. Today it would not work with the rain and wind, our snow is almost gone, too, yay.

Marlene and TooWicky sorry to hear about your water problems and glad to hear they are getting resolved, I always worry about water when there's going to be a freeze or if the power goes out...I always tell DH I always need something to worry about...

Best to all
  • It's like this thread has water cooties or something, as one of our toilets busted last night. Oh fun. Has someone put a hex on us 40-somethings?

*looks around suspiciously*

Playoff football tonight, looking forward to it!
  • The job is going fine sum. At 20 hours a week, it hasn't really thrown a wrench in anyone's routine other than the cat's. But I am starting to realize how much flexibility I have given up... and I do wonder how I'll feel about that come summertime. For now, it's okay. We'll see though. I'm going to focus on developing all the operations training materials they need; that way I can leave and know that I've made it easy for the next person. LOL
  • Michelle, I LOL'd at the water cooties remark, too funny! Not so funny about the toilet though. Hope it didn't result in too much damage.

Sum, it was a vacation trip. He had wanted to take each of the girls when they were teenagers. She'll be 20 in July, so he barely made it. They flew to Ireland because that was the least expensive way to get there, then to London. Trains to Paris & Munich, and then flew back to Dublin & rented a car for a couple of days. They visited the University of Limerick, she is looking at doing a semester abroad for spring 2015. We both (DH & I) wish we had the opportunity to do something like that, and really are encouraging her. She loved it, and it's pretty likely that she'll do it. I've been to Ireland, London & south England, Paris, and the area around Lyon, FR, which is where my great-great grandfather emmigrated from in 1885. I was actually able to find cousins back there, so it was pretty exciting. They are to visit us here this year.
  • Sorry to hear about water issues. Keep your cooties all to yourselves, lol. Need to get to bed but hoping my fitbit will sync. Seems to be having issues. It didn't sync my steps yesterday until the morning. As I rely on the fitbit to put in my exercise I also can't total MFP.
    Sum: 19000 steps wow. I am upping my step goal each week. Forcing myself to get it up there. Congrats on the jeans.
    Marlene: That is so great your husband is taking your kids on trips to England solo.
    Heidi: glad to hear the job is going well.
    Mrs Snark: Hope your team won. I know my husband was happy to see the pats win.
    Kelipa: How muddy was the rail trail?
    Toowicky: Hope you were able to salvage some of your weekend.
  • Hello Everyone!

Checking back in - I've been doing really well over the last 10 days, but my TOM is coming and grrrr....the scale isn't moving.

Nevertheless, I got on the treadmill this morning - have my fitbit on, and at 7:25am, I already have 5850 steps for the day.

I've planned my meals and snacks, and feel good about how I've started this day, that I have a plan to make it successful, and regardless of water weight, I know my fat "cried" this morning (as I sit here soaking with sweat...lol)

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Sheila