40-Somethings December Chat Thread

You're on Page 7 of 15
Go to
  • Thinking about how some people treat dogs will make me cry for hours. It will also make me angry and want to punch people.

I will post some pics of my dogs soon. I have to make it to 25 posts before I can put links in here.

Our holiday party was Saturday. It made me home sick for my old area around 3 hours away, which is weird. I'm officially and fully on SB phase 1 today after the weekend. I put on a pair of jeans that had been slightly tight when I bought them the weekend before, and they fit perfectly. That tells me that SB is working, even after a few days. That's what I needed.
  • Congrats mezmerelda -- I bet it was great to actually FEEL the progress! I love when clothes fit differently and get loose, it always feels so magical!
  • My mind can't quite grasp that I have only 3 more weigh-ins in 2013. The end of the year sure is coming up fast!
  • OK, 25 posts!

Here's Indy. She's a 5yo Swissy, almost 6, and is my Girldog. She was intended to be a show dog (pushed by the breeder), but does not like strangers. Once she knows you, she's the sweetest cuddle dog there is. But if she doesn't know you, she'll bark at you. It's always fun when a 100lb dog barks at strangers.

This is Ozzy. He is 3, and is crazy. He's small for a Swissy boy at around 115lbs. He was trained as a therapy dog, but has a very strong prey drive and likes to herd a bit aggressively (as in eating the sheep from the tail up). So, no more therapy work for Ozzy since I can't be sure of his behavior with other dogs.

This is Bowser - he's 4. I picked him up as an owner surrender in April. We were supposed to foster for about a month, then help him find a new home, but we failed and kept him. I'm ok with this type of failure. He had been with a family for his entire life, but they said their 2yo had allergies, and they had another baby due any moment. I think it just because too much for them. I try not to judge them, as they did it the right way and sent him to breed rescue. But he was so trusting getting into my car, then so confused with what was going on that it just makes me upset. He was obviously well loved, although he had been a bit neglected for about 6 months prior to coming home with me. As in he hadn't been brushed or walked. His nails were super long, and he was a ginormous tube sock that had about 20 lbs to lose, and he couldn't move very well. He's good now.

Here are all 3. Ozzy and Indy in the back, and Bowser up in front.
  • mezmerelda Congrats on your 25 posts Your puppies are so cute!! I just love animals. -- I would like to have another dog, but because Shadow was so abused, she does not do well with other dogs. So she is our only furbaby.

Heidi My biscotti came I ended up ordering the tin (it is huge) and I bought two Starbucks water cups to go with it. Thank you for the idea!
  • OMG mezmerelda, what gorgeous photos and what gorgeous dogs!!! Just spectacular! Really fantastic photography that captures their personality and beauty! Your house must be LOTS and LOTS of fun!
  • Taking a break from scrubbing exterior windows and bahama shutters. I shouldn't complain about the outdoor work, it is beautiful out today, 83 and under 60% humidity -- feels like fall in Florida!
  • It is c-o-l-d here in Michigan. I am trying to talk myself into my daily walk. Even Shadow is not asking to go out; her bed is warm and cozy
  • Thanks!

I would give a lot of things for 80 degrees right now. It's a balmy 17 here, although w/wind chill, it feels like 1. My dogs are just going to have to wait a few days. Thankfully, they seem lazy (still recovering from the weekend) too.
  • Mezmerelda, I second Mrs Snark, gorgeous photos and dogs, just lovely, makes me miss the green grass, too! I'm seriously missing the rail trail, it's only the beginning of winter, too...yikes

Wow, yeah, 21 days left, yikes again
  • A thread with dog pics- my kind of thread! Leeh thank you for looking for rescues. They are wonderful dogs.

Nice pictures everyone. Beautiful dogs!
  • *sings*
    Oh there's nothing like gastro for the holidays

I'm just 25 stomach viruses from my goal weight.
  • Beautiful dogs, mesmerelda, wow!

LOL leeh

I went out for a walk yesterday; it was 20, snowing, and with bitter wind. Didn't go quite as far as usual, but felt good for getting out.
  • Heidi I am waiting for that snow!! We were supposed to get upto 3 inches today but it is missing us again. But it is bitter cold out there. I think we as well do a shorter walk, maybe 3.5 miles. I am afraid that Shadow's paws get frost bitten.

I am still in bed I had a few pretty emotional days and night before last night, I did not sleep, so I am making up for it. Beauty of having older kids who have a late start school days.

I do have a busy day planned...first a walk and house cleaning and then gym and finally off to the FCA; I have a little work to do and a board meeting later on at night. -- No rest for the wicked.

I absolutely adore my new closet I stand there and admire my clothes I "found" so many WHBM tops I forgot I had with tags still on them...crazy -- Funny how I used to take my big walk in closet for granted.

Okay off to my walk I go....
  • Leeh - Oh no, hope you get better quick!

Sum - how fantastic to discover "new" clothes! All I'd discover in my closet are broken clothespins and warped hangers!

Heidi - hang in there, a rough day here and there is unavoidable, but survivable!