One good choice I made today was...

You're on Page 14 of 35
Go to
  • I want my husband's cereal.

Not going to eat my husband's cereal.
  • This was actually yesterday's good choice, anyway, overcame my shyness and went down to the gym here. It worked out fine they have 4 or 5 elliptical sand 4 or 5 treadmills, so I have a place to keep up with my running til the weather gets nice.

Will bring my kindle next time, not much to look at, almost got boring, except I started out at too high of speed and incline to go 30 minutes in a row, but did manage three 10 minutes with 2 minute walk in between.

Mrs Snark I thought of you when my 5k time was 15 seconds over 40 mins (walking and running) I didn't have my water bottle to chuck anyway
  • I was really frustrated today because I'm responsible for some stuff that is NOT MY JOB. Anyway, I had to run to get some copy paper and I did not buy any candy to soothe myself! Go me!
  • Today was my DH birthday. I cooked all his favorites for dinner, babyback ribs dripping with thick sweet sticky sauce, homemade honey cornbread, baked potatos with sour cream and bacon. I planned the meal, shopped for the meal today, cooked and served the meal.

One good choice I made was NOT to eat the meal, I made myself a lean hamburger, fried onions with a little cheese and served it up on several large red leaf leaves. I have packed all of the meal away, not even once tempted to steal a taste.
  • Kelijpa -- so glad you like the gym, you'll be able to keep up your awesome progress through the winter! And great job keeping the water-bottle chucking urges under wraps (so smart not to have one easily at hand!).

Maincyn -- I almost passed out when I got to the part about homemade cornbread in your meal description. My knees are still weak. You did a fantastic job staying in control and I'm sure your husband LOVED his birthday dinner!

thinpossible -- great job avoiding the candy!

I am feeling sick and whiney today. I walked my 5k on the treadmill since I'm not well enough to run and I am now REFUSING to give into the urge to sick snack (even though I'd kill for cinnamon sugar toast like my mom used to make me when I was sick.).

I am having a ruby red grapefruit and that is that. The end.
  • I said no time and time again today to my inner snack monster...
  • I made the conscious decision to get my 2nd walk in instead of going to watch TV.
  • Way to go all!

Grapefruit sounds good Mrs Snark.
    Definitely have those battles Newleaf, keep fighting!
    Grew pat decision Carma.

I put the treadmill on lower speed and ran for 30, yay, it was a good decision because I got my confidence boost and feel I could bump it up a little.

• I walked for an hour an a half rather than sitting in a waiting room waiting for my car to be serviced - and it felt good too!
  • Awesome Bindii!

I convinced myself to go down to the gym and treadmill, walked with incline. Ended up next to a woman that kept running off and on, so I talked to her after, she was an inspiration, in my same age range, started running a couple years ago after her kids went to college and during the summer ran her 1st 5K at 29 something.

Hope everyone's doing well, have to take the dog to the vet for booster shot.
  • Well done Kelijpa! It's nice to meet others who are on the same journey - and especially more so if you can see that they have achieved a goal that you are aiming for; it's great for motivation! I have heard that walking with the treadmill on even a 1% incline is a good preventative for shin splints so I always leave mine on a incline (raising it up and down during my workout but never flat) as I suffered from shin splits when I was younger and I never want to go through that again. The other bonus is that it is supposed to burn more calories and after a while you don't even notice the incline anyway.
  • Shin splints are the worse! Our treadmill at home works much better if it's at least on 1%, the electronics are getting fussy. it works great as long as you don't shut it off and then try to restart, then it doesn't respond at all until it's off for a long time again, that's why I'm going to the gym at work. We're going to get a recumbent bike for the house for something different.

Only good choice I can report for yesterday is not getting up and getting more multigrain tortilla chips...yeeks...oh wait I did join a daily plank challenge on the challenge board, I haven't done them in so long it's just like starting over.

• I think I jinxed myself as this morning when I was walking I started to feel the pain of the dreaded shin splints again! I could honestly cry! I was about half way around a lake (1.5 miles to go) when it started to hit and for a few horrible moments I was worried that I wouldn't make it back to the car - every step was agony. I didn't have any choice so I pushed on and by the time I got to the car i was almost able to ignore the pain.

I haven't been running - only walking - so am disappointed but hopeful that as I just went and was fitted for a good pair of walking shoes yesterday that I can keep it to a minimum; hopefully the damage has been caused by me stoopidly wearing the wrong kind of shoes while walking. I don't want to stop walking as I've only just started to get into the groove and if I have to stop now I don't know if I'll ever start again.

And well done on the chips Kelijpa, you have done better than me who was unable to resist a piece of key lime pie while at lunch with a girlfriend yesterday. I was doing so well too ordering grilled chicken and salad but then I blew it.
  • Sorry to hear Bindii, shin splints suck, excuse the language, I've gotten them in the past from certain shoes. I've heard you can do some stretches, but check around you may have to rest if different shoes don't help. Will be thinking of you and wishing you well
  • One good choice I made today was finally going for my C25k day 3 this week at 10:20pm at night. Felt good to go out and get it done.