40-Somethings It's National Splurge Day Challenge, oh Yeah!

You're on Page 3 of 35
Go to
  • 2FatCats: Your restoration is beautiful! Definitely worth all the work you put into it. You should be so proud!
  • Challenge Day 1: 1145 calories, 35 min stairclimbing. Sugar: 1 tsp in plain yogurt, 2 small pieces dark chocolate for dessert

Very proud of myself - just got back from a PTA meeting(after going straight from work to a baseball game to the meeting, left the house at 6 this morning)and resisted cake and cookies.

2fc, your house is freaking gorgeous. My DH would drool if he saw it.

yay, sum! on all counts.

great start, guac, let's both keep it going!

jen, enjoy your new dresses! I just bought some too - I love dresses in the spring and summer, so easy!

mboo, great goals!

zumba, you and me, kid - we can do this!!!
  • So my first day and I blew it ...lol I told you it was a hungry day I ate carbs, and scale dutifully rewarded me with a 1.2 pound gain. I am learning so much about my body and how it reacts to certain foods etc.

So it is a clean eating day for me; I had my fun yesterday.

I will have a physically demanding day today; walk 5 miles, gym for weight lifting, clean my house, spread the mulch... so I should burn off those carbs in no time.

SW 156.6
    CW 157.8
    GW 150
  • Challenge day 1) got in a 7 mile bike/trail run...wasn't pretty by all means! lol Head winds on the way there and my legs felt like lead weights during my run but I kept on keepin on...I didn't eat totally on plan but that is because I "failed to plan"....The scale was kind to me this morning however with a 1 lb loss...

SW 147
    CW 146
    GW 139.9

2fc-that house is absolutely gorgeous!! Beautifully done!

Sum-you'll get that stupid lb off before you know it. Your plan today sounds like a winner....a 5 mile walk will work those excess carbs out for sure! Im probably going to have to do the dreadmill today....it was low 80's yesterday but rain is on its way again for the next 5 days...sigh...and last year we were in a drought?!?

Jenn....I absolutely love dresses In warm weather!!! In fact I got 3-4 of them a few years ago as my "reward" for hitting goal. I of course can't wear any of them without being uncomfortable and tugging at the material (15-18 extra lbs will do that....). I am absolutely positive that if they don't fit right the day they arrive they will in no time! You are on a roll lady!!!

newleaf-hope you are feeling better and I would take that big woosh you had any way I could get it!! lol Sometimes it just takes a little bit of a push to help us get to where we are going....you've got this!!

sorry can't do any more personals...have to go get ds out of bed and hurry to get ready for work...busy,busy day....

Lets get it girls!!!
  • Jennifer I LOVE dresses! I actually wore on last night with a big prim hat and sexy sunglasses and I felt like million bucks! -- You are a tad bit taller than I am, but from prior weigh history; I started fitting in to the 12's around 168 pounds...so you really don't have to worry about the fit, you will be there within a few weeks. ( I get out of the 12's at 156-158 pounds -- Something to shoot for )

Plainsgirl ^^^ I was typing my post as you were posting! We are all flirty girls in our summer dresses -- I like it because it really flatters woman's body and hides a lot of imperfections... I can actually give the illusion of a hour glass shape with dresses It always hides my ugly middle. Nice job on your run, even if it was a bit struggle!!

Nat Awesome day!! -- I as well HAVE to check on my weight (twice per day; morning/night), if I stop stepping on that scale, it usually means I am gaining and I don't want to face the truth. I keep track on my daily weight on a phone app, and I have forced myself to record those ugly highs as well...keeps me accountable

2FatCats Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

guacamole One day at a time, one meal at a time! Congrats on staying OP!!

mboo Your plan sounds very solid!

Zumba I know you can do it!! We will keep you accountable! -- I lost 9 pounds during the last challenge, and I was amazed...shh..secretly I am hoping to lose another 9 this time around.

Heidi I hope you are not sore afterwards! Nice job on the weight

Did I miss anyone?? I can only see this far on my computer. If I missed you

Have a fab and fit day anyone.
  • Another beautiful day in Ohio and I am stuck in a windowless classroom! It's hard to complain though because I have 13 weeks off at the end of this month!! Yay for summer!

Sum: I bet you looked great in your dress! I am hoping 12s fit soon--I am not even going to think about 10s yet! Too exciting to contemplate! Nine pounds is amazing! You can do it again! (and then you'll need 8s )

Nat: You are doing so well on your goals! Dresses seem to be our "it" clothes this summer! Now I just need new sandals!

Plainsgirl: Yay for your great bike.run! I really need to amp up my exercise! I bet you'll be rocking all of your summer dresses very soon!

Sorry personals are so short, but I have to get back to work! I'll try to sneak back on later
  • Hello, all. I am suffering from a horrible migraine, I think spurred on by TOM. I am bloated and pretty miserable. I took my migraine meds last night, but ran out, and need to pick up the new prescription. So, I'm running on Advil, which doesn't help much.

On the bright side - I lost 2 lbs this week! I'm at 157 as of this morning. I have no idea how that happened, other than my biking, I'm not doing anything differently - plus this isn't the time of month I usually lose. I'll take it!

I want a chocolate chip cookie so badly right now! Sum - this is all your fault! Must I really wait for June?
  • Yes Guacamole, if chocolate chip cookie is your splurge, then yep, gotta wait; I am watching ya -- Sorry about your migraine; I used to get those, a lot, but somehow after pregnancies they disappeared and I have only had maybe 3 of them. I hope you get your meds and feel better soon!

Jennifer Beautiful here in MI as well. -- maybe you could take your classroom out for a lesson Just think of summer! Break will be here soon. -- This is prolly the hardest time of the year for teachers; kids have summer on their mind. Thank you for what you do! I heart teachers (You should read up how teachers are treated in Finland; they are crème de la crème...my mom was one)

I am like on speed today. Got my walk in, 1/2 house is clean, surfed the web some and it is only 11 am....now off to the other half of the house (man/boy cave...ugh) and then to the gym.
  • GUAC: sorry about your migraine..i get them also, although not as often as I used to. Only prescription strength meds work for and chillaxing in a dark room......feel better soon and congrats on saying goodbye to those two lbs....

JENNIFER: teachers work hard and so deserve that summer off!! I am so a hoarder also...a horrible hoarder. I have a hard time getting rid of stuff. My mother was the same way. I really could become one of those people on that show Hoarders because of all the clothes and shoes I own. I have to say I have a beautiful wardrobe though and always get compliments on how well I dress...I should have been a stylist for someone famous. The down side to that is having too many clothes, and now too many clothes that dont' fit...but I'm taking care of that.

PLAINSGIRL: i give runners such credit.....keep on keepin on

NAT: Yeah those PTA meetings with cookies are a killer....I went to an event last night and started eating cake but didn't finish it....sugar doesn't do it for me like it used to, probably part of the Isagen ix program...who knows...

2FATCATS: beautiful beautiful restoration on your home! Houses like that are so in demand around here.....so much character.
  • Well I am weighing in the same even though I ate well at a PTA fundraiser last night. I also got a p;iece of cake that I didn't finish..that is so unlike me. Maybe I am becoming turned off by sugar, one could only hope. I also passed on the beautiful rolls that were out, how I'd love to have those with butter!! Today I did a zumba class and then came home and did 15 push ups and 25 squats.......I wish I could do a DVD but theres no time. Going to the shrink and then getting a deep conditioner and blow out..going to see handsome diversion guy tonight.....I need to be around someone normal and grounded because I feel like I am always around drama.....

Had my shake, having a bar for lunch, a hard boiled egg for snack and then dinner with handsome guy......I really want to see 143 by the end of the weekend......
  • Posting from my ipad so just a quick update. All is well here. Procedure was easy. It's not something to look forward to, but simple enough and not something to dread either. Now I've got to get DH to schedule his.

Back to eating right and exercising today. Gorgeous here in Pittsburgh too. Planted 8 morning glory seeds around a leggy clematis just now. Hope it makes for a pretty display this summer. Flowers are my thing; I love this time of year; full of possibility.
  • Good evening!

Heidi: Glad your procedure was a breeze! Good luck with DH (if he's like mine, I'd have to beg and cajole!)

Zumba: Not finishing a piece of cake is huge! I'm impressed. I'm jealous of your closet and I haven't even seen it! I love clothes.

Sum: Way to be a cleaning, exercise machine today! I just love this weather and it gives me energy.

Guacamole: I hope your migraine is better. They are horrid!

DH and I walked our 3.5 miles and I'm trying to clean and get laundry done before I relax a little tonight. I ate ok today till I got into the box of pretzel thins! Dang those are good! Hopefully I walked them off and I won't have a big sodium/carb bloat tomorrow!
  • Zumba You are my soul sister...we STILL could become stylists for the rich and famous... -- If I know nothing else in this world; I know how to dress. And you should see my soon to be ex how he looks... 6'2"; fit and trim...look like a male model; I dress him sooo well (no wonder I am losing him )

On a positive note, I spread all the mulch and even bought 2 hanging baskets;yep overly zealous of me, but I will take them in if Mr Frost makes his appearance.
  • Sum38 Thanks for starting us off!! So... how long do eyelash extensions last? Are they permanent? I know nothing about them. Fill me in! Awesome news about the capris!! That's such a great feeling! Good job listening to your body and cooling it. Your deck sounds lovely, with a view of a lake and swan! I tried to imagine it as I sat on my deck yesterday, with a view of resplendent green grass with a forest behind. No swans, but we often see deer (not a good thing!). No, I'm not sore from the procedure; the cleanse is definitely the worst part.

Jennifer Have you come up with your splurge yet? I haven't really thought about one. Best of luck on your 10 pounds; I know you can do it!! You'll have to let us know how the Loft dresses are. I saw the emails on the 60% off sale; yet another store where you'd have to be foolish to pay the price on the tag... Re: getting rid of clothes, I'm constantly getting rid of stuff; my latest purge was anything that said XL or 14. I can't wait to purge anything that says 12, but that's a ways away.

Guac Good to see you posting. Your dedication, your stick-to-it-iveness is inspiring. I was glad to read you had a good day, a couple days back. Sorry to hear that migraines have set in Great news that you had some downward scale movement!

June Approaching your 50s at your 30s weight would be awesome!! Come to think of it, I was at my most fit and thin ever at ages 31 - 34. It would be great to return to that form! I have no idea what I weighed though.

PlainsGirl I didn't have any scale movement in the last challenge either. On to the next one; we can do this! I hate when I have sausage fingers -- ick! A sign you're not drinking enough water... Sounds like you had quite the run, with headwinds! When I was in Patagonia, we hiked through headwinds that were so strong, you almost couldn't move forward against them. Our cheeks were flapping like dogs jowls hanging out a speeding car's window! Fun memories...

LuvCats Great goals; I look forward to hearing that you've started the weight and ab work...

LindaWW So glad you have joined in!! Great goals!

Zumba I love how you are so open to trying new and varied things each month! Me, I'm always same ol' same ol' Bike riding around your property -- do you own a lot of land? I'm jealous.

Solace I'm looking forward to hearing about your duck dinner! I haven't had duck since I was a kid... so a long time ago!!

Kelijpa Nice to see you! Sounds like you have some nice trips ahead.

Natamars I agree re: the ill effects of avoiding the scale. I really need to see that number every day to hold me accountable. Good idea to cut down on sugar and processed food; that stuff's no good for you. Awesome that you resisted the cakes and cookies!

Mboo Great goals!

2fatCats Great goals! Glad you're sticking around with us... Your home looks lovely; I love the colors that you have chosen! What a difference, having that trellis-work painted dark rather than light. Looks great!
  • Heidi I think the extensions stay on for months, until they grown out. But they need to get serviced each month...we shall see how I will like them and the hassle.

Woke up super bloated this am. I think my water intake has been poor and I am retaining it. Need to remedy that ASAP. So I switched from coffee to white tea (decaf) that I can start my day off hydrating myself.

Scale is still up a bit -- I can not input my negative gain to my ticker -- 157.4. I am not complaining though It is down over 2 lbs for the week!

I added more machines to my routine at the gym. CORE! Yikes! If I loathe weight lifting I really loathe core training...and I am doing it!! Surprising I am not sore this am, DOMS must come later.

Busy day for me today; Finnish Center until 2 pm, walking 5 mi, cleaning the basement...and that will bring me to dinner time -- Feels good to stay busy.