Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #91  

Still plugging away here....didn't do so well for DH's birthday dinner - had to big a dinner, then a slice of ice cream cake to top it off. That kind of started a whole landslide of wine over the weekend, and a 2 day hiatus from exercising. I think I was having a little temper tantrum because the scale hadn't moved down. Anyway - Monday morning I was back on track, and starting over. Decided to start splitting my exercise into 2 half hour segments. It seems more do-able that way, so we'll see how it goes.

Ukemama - your earthquake story was hilarious! I can imagine you were scared, but man, was that funny!

Seemyfeet - Skinny and delusional - I love it! Whatever works, I say!

Sept2012 - Ugh about your TV. My mom's tv is old, and has stripes across the top and bottom of her screen when she watches it. It drives me crazy, but she says at her age she's not buying another TV. She's 88 though - I think you'd better start saving for a new one!

MrsTryingAgain - Glad you hear you and DH were able to get out and go for a walk. I'm sure as soon as some of the pain from his surgery passes, he'll be ready to go back again. I can imagine that right now that would be the last thing he's want to think about! Hope he's feeling a little better every day.

Moondance - Sorry about the cancellation of the kids' performance. That stinks that it was cancelled and then the weather turned out ok. We got about 6 inches, and some wind - not as bad as forecast here either.

NEMom - My heart hurts for you and your son. Good for you for doing what needs to be done, and getting him the help he needs. I pray things turn around for him, and he's able to feel better about life soon. Thank goodness there are medicines for things like that. Can you imagine if there weren't?

Hope you're all having a successful week!
LindaWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #92  
Onward & Downward

I hear on how hard it is to eat at places like Texas Roadhouse, Linda. I would assume it is like many steak places anyway. Tonight DH and I are going to go out to dinner--definitely not in my normal scheme of things lately. I'm torn between Red Lobster where I don't like the bread (but the breaded shrimp would more than make up for it) and the Roadhouse (I love the bread w/honey butter but I'd probably have a small steak and a sweet potato). Lol I will try to eat very few points the rest of the day though. Good job getting back on track Monday. That is 95% of it I think--let ourselves enjoy the celebration without restriction (save listening to a full tummy hopefully) but then to get back to the healthy eating after the celebration is done.

Thanks MrsTryingAgain. It is relatively mild this time in the grand scheme of things. It is nice to get back to the chiropractor though. I think I may try to keep going about once ever 6 weeks or so even when I'm done from the accident. Yay on H feeling a difference! That is terrific! I hope things keep improving.

WOW 2FatCats I don't know that Oregon has EVER had 21 feet of snow for the season (save the ski areas). I'm glad to hear your surgery is scheduled. It is amazing how fast they get you in once they get it scheduled, huh? Good for you to think about figuring out your exercise schedule around the surgery.

Yeah on no vertigo Ukemama! Lol your airport story is funny!

SeeMyFeet you cracked my up with your thoughts of dressing up to fit in Dodge City! Hope your knee is getting better. Here's to going to bed and waking up skinny! (Good golly if you could choose just one of skinny, rich, or a clean house that would be a hard choice! Darn too bad I can't get one by wishing!)

Glad to hear the good news for your Dad Sept. WTG for you on the no drink challenge. Hope the scale becomes cooperative for you soon. Keep up the good work!

I'm still shocked... the scale (and yes I actually remembered before food) showed my down 7#. I don't think I lost that much in week 1. Go figure. Going to take it and run though, lol.

Have a great week everyone! Keep up the hard work!
LuvCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 210/206/140

Height: 64"

Trying to catch up on all the posts as I'm very new here. So many wonderful women on here, all doing a great job of losing that weight!

I kept reading about eating out at Outback Steakhouse and it made me want to eat. Luckily I had went to the store this morning and bought some steaks for dinner. The package was only 3/4 lb and had three steaks in it...so if I eat the smallest one I know it will be no more than 4 oz. Gonna have a baked potato and veggies to round out the meal. Forget Outback...I'm doing my own, LOL

Glad to read all the wonderful, funny stories, and sorry to read all the challenges people are going through with family. I know that my family is what keeps me going...from a special needs son who needs me, to a mom, sister and daughter who all help me raise him.

And now I know that if I ever go into an airport and there is a woman in the bathroom screaming "EARTHQUAKE!" that it's just Ukemama.

Kristy
trukmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Tuesday!

I'm beginning to get very frustrated. I re-started this weightloss plan on Jan 6. In all this time, I've only lost 9 pounds. WTF? One contributing factor may be the new diagnosis of Crohn's and meds I'm taking for that. But I'm also exercising more than I ever have before. Overall, I've been within my calorie limit. Can the meds really be affecting my loss that much? There's nothing in the literature that comes with it about weight (loss or gain). ARGH! Last time I did this, I'd lost 15 pounds by now, which is enough to make a difference in clothing fit, which in turn helps with motivation and self-confidence. ARGH again. I'm not going to give up, but I'm losing faith in my ability to reach goal and stay there. When progress is so slow, how do you stay motivated???

LuvCats: Mmmm...Red Lobster. I haven't been there in years. Is there anything relatively low calorie on their menu? Seems like everything is either breaded and fried or drowning in butter. Mmmm!! Congrats on 7 lbs! That's huge!!

LindaWW: Great job getting back on track!

SeeMyFeet: WTG walking in the cold! Nothing is standing in your way, except may hula hoops and asthma. I'm a firm believer in how your thinking can get you what you want. Positive people have positive, good things happen to them. Negative people have bad and negative things happen to them (and they always seem to wonder why). If you're thinking sexy and confident, then others will see you that way too!

NEMom: Thank goodness for those meds! I'm glad they seem to be working for your son. How did his first day back go? And good for you for getting right back on track! Just a short diversion, right?

2FatCats: Oh, I hope the HTA works for you. It doesn't sound like fun, but neither does a hysterectomy. Last night DD#2 was complaining about cramps. "How come mother nature has to punish you for not being pregnant? Can't she just send a text and say, Nope, all clear?" Made me laugh! Sorry you caught the cooties! Your pre-gardening plants sound awesome! I can't plant that kind of thing outdoors easily. What the deer don't eat, the rabbits and squirrels do.

Hope everyone else is have a great, on-plan day!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 236

LindaWW - I hear you with the birthday celebrations. This weekend was DH and DD's. Cake, torte, lasagna, bread, wine - all there to tempt me. Thank heavens for Mondays and the ability to start over.

NEmom - glad that DS is getting care and meds. I worked in the mental health field for years and it is tough to see your loved one go through this. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. Keep it up and keep the faith.

SeeMyFeet - Why do I get the feeling that going out to a bar with you would be one of the most entertaining nights I've had in my life???

Weigh in tomorrow. I think it's not going to be a good day. Despite being so controlled and everything else, I don't look or feel any different.
ukemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Moon dance- Don't know what you are taking for your Crohn's disease but if it includes a steroid it can definitely affect your weight that much. Also. If you are close to menopause......

NEMom- glad to hear your son is better

Turkmen-welcome

MIL got off the ventilator yesterday so lots of rejoicing down here! However, hanging out in a hospital in your spare time is not good for your health. I now seem to have some kind of URI and it seems various members of the family are getting sick as well. I've done pretty well with food but still haven't gotten back to my regular exercise yet. I'm hoping this weekend will give me a chance to get back on track with that. I've managed to lose another lb. so I guess it's all good.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #97  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

moondance honestly, 9 pounds in 2+ months sounds good. Unless your "last time" was in the last year or two, I don't think you can really compare as you get older
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #98  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

@Moondance Reminds me something a wise woman once said:

NewLeaf from the St. P challenge:

I had an epiphany last night, thinking about losing a pound a month. I realized that A) that still gets me to my goal and more importantly B) what difference does it make, getting there in 2 months or 12 months? I'm planning on maintaining this loss for the next 50 years, or 600 months. These next few months are just a blip on that timeline... so, relax...

@Petra Glad the MIL is showing signs of improvement! Boo Hiss to the hospital cooties!

@Trukmek Sounds like you have a great support network!

@NEMom You are a strong, capable woman and you can do this - you are doing it! You can take care of your son and yourself (and everyone else, too, I'll bet!)

@LuvCats Surprise - it's snowing again. I went to college in Oregon - Go Ducks! Sigh. Ducks? Beavers?? My Mom lived in Corvallis and I was in Eugene. I remember everyone putting chains on their tires when it snowed. Moving from S. Texas -Oregon was quite a shock.
Both my daughters were born in Eugene, too. The oldest during the one and only lightning storm that I saw . . . . Funny - I remember the day I came home from the hospital I weighed a whopping 158lbs (was 120 prior) and feeling FAT. If I only knew....

@SeeMyFeet Nope. It's a guy. At least it's an old guy. Not a young hot one . . . . Funny story - when I joined the Army you go through MEPS and get a physical with everyone - you're just herded through like cattle. The gyn there was an old, old man with shaking hands. As I laid there with only my dignity and a paper screen separating me from the rest of the herd, he says,"My, you're tan all over". Mortified. Never got in a tanning bed again.

To any/all I missed: Happy 3-13-13!

Last edited by 2FatCats; 03-13-2013 at 11:23 AM.
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #99  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Tip of the Day

Always double check to ensure that you grab the people toothpaste and not the poultry-flavored dog toothpaste when you brush your teeth before bed.
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 191/178/145

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone. I am new to the boards and attempting weight loss. I have been slowly gaining over the past 6 years. I am 48 yrs old and really want to lose at least 30 lbs if not more. I'm not sure what my body is going through that made me gain 50 lbs, but I know there are a lot of factors. I've had 3 types of cancer and one was thyroid cancer so they removed my thyroid. I still managed to keep my weight to about 135 which was okay, but my last cancer with chemo and radiation changed my body tremendously. The weight started packing on, my blood pressure/cholesterol was an issue for the first time and my gyn said I was starting pre-menopause. Yea, for triple whammie.
Someone even asked me when I was due (as in pregnant). Although she was mortified for asking, I was crushed. I don't even recognize myself in photos any more and that needs to change.

I started on 3/3 cutting out desserts, chips and other carbs. I have added a big increase in vegetables, 64 oz. of water and shakes every morning. Our dinners have been much healthier and my hubby has started doing his own regimen. I have lost almost 3 lbs in the last week and I have been keeping a blog along the way, but I can't post that until I've been a member longer.

It is encouraging to read other 40+ women discussing their weight loss as well and I look forward to reading about your successes.
bbrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 210/206/140

Height: 64"

Moondance, if you are working out more this time than you did last time, could it be that you are not losing weight as fast because you are gaining muscle?

I totally understand the frustration of meds that can cause weight gain. I had lost about 60 lbs (slowly), then when I got sick I quit losing. As my doctor increased my meds, I would gain weight faster and faster. Luckily I finally stopped gaining, but losing it again has been a challenge. I belong to a support group where many others have said they've gained weight as well, so we are assuming it is definitely meds related...despite what the doctors all say.

Thank you for the warm welcomes, this looks like a great group.

OK, Happy Wednesday everyone! Not much happening today. I think I've figured out why I've been extremely tired this last month. Was thinking that it was work related as they switched me to swing shift. But was reading about a medication I had started right after changing to swing...and it causes insomnia. I'm now wondering if it's not keeping me awake, but maybe not letting me get the deep sleep I need to get fully rested? I already use a CPAP, so know it's not sleep apnea. Still, got 9 hours last night and it wasn't enough. I keep hoping my doc will limit me so much at work that they finally give in and give me a desk job, in hopes that I won't get so tired from being so physical. Day time would be a nice time to work again, too...have to admit.

Time to go take a nap, then off to work...oh what fun!

Kristy
trukmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #102  
Karen1968

S/C/G: 292/292/150

Height: 5'6''

Smile New to 3Fat Chicks

I am trying to learn to navigate the website so I will return more often to keep myself motivated. I am a 40 something and I have started a weight loss plan similar to Jenny Graig. My husband is out of town and i am really struggling to do this with out him. I will put my tracker on here if i can figure it out. Any encouraging words would be helpful.
Karen1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Wednesday!

I'm totally PMSing, so my mood is all over the place. Think I'll refrain from talking to too many people so as to not burn the wrong bridge. Who has chocolate...

ukemama: Hope you're having a good day and that you were able to re-start on Monday.

petra65: Luckily it's not a steroid, it's a maintenance drug. But I think it's what's slowing things down. Anyway, so glad to hear your MIL is off the ventilator. You know, I think every hospital should have a workout room for patient visitors. Hospitals are stressful places and what better way to relieve the stress! Hope you're able to get back to your routine soon.

newleaf123: I lost 15 pounds in the same amount of time in the fall of 2011, so 1.5 years ago. It came of pretty fast at first, which is what kept me going through the holidays.

2FatCats: OMG! How can you leave us hanging like that? Tell me you didn't... That's a great quote. It's absolutely true too. I have no intentions of stopping what I'm doing, but have added incentive to be a few pounds lighter by May 12. But I've resigned myself that it will be what it is on that day. All I can do is stick to plan! I totally relate to looking back and saying "if I only knew". I weight 145 on my wedding day and felt fat. If I only knew... LOL...Tan all over! Mortifying!

bbrides: Welcome to our group! You are one amazing woman to have been through so much! I hope you don't let that woman's pregnancy comment get you down too much. People say the stupidest things! This is just one more challenge in your life to overcome and I have confidence you can do it!

trukmek: Welcome to our group too! I am working out more, but so far I've only been doing cardio so I'm not gaining that much muscle. While I'm grateful for all the medical advances out there, some meds have so many side-effects, it makes you wonder if the original problem is easier to deal with than the side effects. Jeff Foxworthy has a great bit about this. It's hilarious! http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=eSdNMRtvq5g (we were at this show when they taped it in Denver).
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #104  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

2fatCats Too funny re: toothpaste!

NE Mom I'm so glad your son is getting help

Sorry I cant post personals to everyone... but know that I am thinking of you and draw strength from everyone's ongoing efforts.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Brides-welcome. It sounds like you are off to a great start. You have overcome a lot already.

Karen1968-welcome. You can't post a ticker until you have been here a certain amount of time and made a certain number of posts. This is a great group.

Moon dance- my advice about meds: all meds are poison, some just have beneficial side effects. A work out room at the hospital would be awesome- or yoga classes, LOL

Someone asked about a week ago about setting goals and I had commented that I don't do this- at least not pound#goals because I don't find it helpful. If the goal is to change your lifestyle permanently then how fast you get to a certain # really doesn't have much significance. Personally, I know my biggest obstacle is sugar-I can't eat it in a controlled fashion so every day I go without it goes in the win column.

This week has been very challenging. I'm glad it's almost over! Hope everyone has a great Thursday.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote