Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #1  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Facing Menopause

I don't know why the thread was closed, so I started a new one. It seems it's an interesting discussion with different voices and experiences.

I wasn't offended at all, I only wanted to express my different perspective on getting older.

Being childless doesn't mean one isn't tethered to the responsibility of caring for family members.

There are a lot of reasons why women don't have children, let's not presume that a women who has found contentment in being childless is also insensitive to those who are struggling to become pregnant against the threat of a hysterectomy.

Elivis, I hope you get your wish, if for no other reason than you wish it!

I hope this thread doesn't digress to a conversation about how insensitive childless women are, because I feel there is a constructive conversation to have about how women with children, and women without children, experience menopause differently.

I'm curious what "natural" remedies you have tired. HRT is more controversial than I ever realized, and the warnings are so strong, I'm opting to try everything else before resigning to HRT for my sleep problems.
Espressowhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Hi Espressowhip, I did post a reason for closing the thread. My initial post was about skipping TOM and still feeling the symptoms of cramps & cravings. The discussion veered off in a different direction.

I hope you don't think I discounted the experience of childless women. I have several friends who are childless for various reasons and for years I have worked as the lone mom in an office full of 40 something women who have chosen not to raise children. We discuss menopause often because we are all on the same timeline.

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #3  

Thank you, espressowhip! I didn't realize the other thread got closed. I apologize if I had anything to do with it going a bit off topic. Thank you to everyone else too that replied to me there.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4  

Elvislover324 you had nothing to do with it being closed. The discussion became bigger than the initial post.

Last edited by ImImportant; 01-28-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #5  

Thank you, Imimportant.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #6  
3rd time's a charm!

Sorry about that, I must have overlooked where you said why.

You mentioned skipping periods (again). What have your heard/read/experienced?

I haven't cycled for 2 full months, and I'm hoping this is it! I know, it takes 12 months to be official, but I wondered if anyone missed for 2 full months then started back up? Or can I invest more in being hopeful that I'm done with the monthly visitor?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #7  

Every woman on both sides of my family have had hysterectomies before 45 so skipping is something they never experienced. From my sister (49) and my co-workers I see that they can go as many as 6 months and still get a surprise. I have gone 2 months at the most. One co-worker (51) went a year and had to request supplies one day in the office. She was not a happy camper.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I'm 50 and finally starting to skip a cycle once in a while. But per my doctor, full menopause is likely to still be several years away.

I got the Mirena IUD which for some women stops periods completely, but I wasn't that lucky. They are lighter though, which is nice. And the doctor said that the small amount of hormones may minimize menopause symptoms. So far, so good on those but I don't know if it's the Mirena or if I'm just not having any yet!

Cramps and cravings are intermittant - some cycles yes, some cycles no, and yes, I have still experienced that on the cycles with no bleeding. But not as badly as before the Mirena, so maybe that helps with that too.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

Espressowhip, I missed three in a row and then it came back with a vengeance!
I'm only 46 and my doctor says that is young to have missed that many and he did bloodwork but I haven't been back to get the results. He also wanted to do an ultrasound but I'm hoping I can wait til spring and it's quite a drive and our winter has been horrible for driving this year.

I have found that the last couple months losing weight is impossible. My cycle seems to be completely messed up. I can have PMS symptoms really bad and then it's two weeks before anything happens. It's driving me crazy!
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #10  
3rd time's a charm!

My symptoms are such that I'm done questioning the age factor...it's on like donkey kong! I also read that peri-menopause can go on for years and years and years.

Thanks for the feedback about the absence of the cycle, I'll keep my stash of feminine products handy!

Thanks for bringing up the Merena, I'll research it. In addition to all the warnings for the HRT, I was also worried that they would cause me to cycle.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressowhip View Post
Sorry about that, I must have overlooked where you said why.

You mentioned skipping periods (again). What have your heard/read/experienced?

I haven't cycled for 2 full months, and I'm hoping this is it! I know, it takes 12 months to be official, but I wondered if anyone missed for 2 full months then started back up? Or can I invest more in being hopeful that I'm done with the monthly visitor?
Hey ladies I am 52, and I missed for 3 months, then it came again but thank goodness I haven't had to deal with unpleasant surprises, spotting, etc. I really should read up on the subject but I guess I don't want to face reality, deal with it and am avoiding it.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #12  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The first time I ever skipped was when we were on vacation in Croatia. What a nice treat! Since then I've been like clockwork or up to every 6-7 weeks. The worst part is that I can tell my body is TRYING to ovulate and for me that means I hold onto water and don't lose. I only lose from a few days after ovulation to about a day before my period starts.

This month it's going like clockwork, but next month? 6 months from now? Ugh!

I'm only 43, but my mom was through menopause at 42, so we'll see.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #13  

I am 49 and have gotten very irregular going without for a couple of months then having periods for a couple of months. My problem is that back in October - which is the first month I had a period - I began having pain in my abdomen that was so bad (never even considered that it could be related to my periods) I was sent for a CT scan because my doctor thought I either had diverticulitis or kidney stones. I won't complain about the "new" missing months, but I don't like the other changes that I have experienced.
MinnyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #14  
3rd time's a charm!

@berryblondeboys I also had that water gain as if I was going to start...and then never drained. Boo! Luckily that only happened once (*knock on wood*)!

I didn't bother to research until the symptoms started to get in the way of my happiness.

My paternal grandmother said she started at 40, but she tells lots of stories these days so it's hard to know if what she says is true. My mother's side is full of hysterectomies, so there is no measure.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #15  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

I am 42 and stopped having periods in October of last year. I've spotted a couple of times. About two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance. This can also influence periods. My doctor has me on a low carb diet with Metformin and says that my periods will likely return. Here I just thought I was going through menopause young...I had no idea.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote