3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   Any new NSVs lately? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/270924-any-new-nsvs-lately.html)

newleaf123 12-02-2012 06:07 PM

Any new NSVs lately?

I love reading NSVs; they are so motivating!

So I'll start; here's mine.

Last week I was buying a big jug of kitty litter. In the past, it's been really heavy for me, and I put it in the "baby seat" in the front of the cart so it's not so hard to lift it out at the cash register again.

Well, this lats time I bought it, it actually felt light! I looked at the weight -- it's 14 pounds. I do a lot of free weight exercises using 15 pound weights; I guess it paid off!

lizarddau 12-02-2012 06:51 PM

yay good on ya hun..wish i could share something but i am sooo new at this that i can't...perhaps i will be back later!!..cheers liz

Kat117 12-02-2012 07:43 PM

I walked around a craft fair today for 2 hours and my feet didn't bother me once, nor did I get tired!

kelijpa 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

For the first time I did my 5K on the treadmill at 4 mph for the whole thing, I've been feeling it off and on all day but smiling as I earned those twinges today :D

Pants are getting looser, I actually have a pair of jeans I cannot wear in public anymore, even with a belt...

More comfortable in my chair, I have some room to move around a bit in it...

newleaf123 12-04-2012 08:02 AM

I love reading about everyone's successes!

lizarddau you will get there!! Thanks for cheering me on!

kat117 how great about being able to walk around for hours!

kelijpa congrats on your run! And your pants and chair! I have seat milestones, too. My DH's car has really tiny front seats. When he bought the car in March, I was so disheartened by how uncomfortable it was for me. Since it's a 2-seater, we almost always take my car (family of 4), so I only go in it once a month or so, and each time I go in it, it's more and more comfortable. Feels great!

syndehat 12-04-2012 02:03 PM

Speaking of cars...

I was able to move up my car seat one notch closer to the steering wheel recently! I have lost enough of my "booty" to make the move.

:carrot::carrot:

Silly to take pride in that but I will take my win anywhere I can.

newleaf123 12-04-2012 03:38 PM

syndehat that's not silly at all! These things that catch you by surprise are just great; real reminders of the changes our bodies are undergoing... Plus, it must be much easier to drive if the seat is positioned more comfortably for your arm and leg length.

lizarddau 12-04-2012 05:17 PM

whoooooooot you guys are amaaaazing!!...hmmm i think things are moving!!..clothes seem a little bigger..not enough for me to do a jig or anything...did my pilates exercises again last night..i am supposed to do them twice a day but because of my back i decided to ease myself into it and do them once a day for the first week...was sore yesterday so much so i could not sit for too long or stand...very frustrating...went for my walk this morning and also last night and then i did my exercises whilst lying in bed...not sooooooooo bad this morning pretty good in fact..so i am very pleased with this!!...can't wait for the pool exercises to start...will be soon!!...meanwhile still on track food wise!! into my 3rd week..so i am pleased with that too!!...thanks for the inspiration...cheers liz

kelijpa 12-04-2012 06:45 PM

Newleaf, thanks for the thread, you inspired me to start doing some weights, I want to get my arms stronger. It is great when you notice something is different or more comfortable.

Syndehat, I was going to say the same thing Newleaf did, nothing is too small or silly to celebrate, congrats! Those little victories are motivations to keep moving forward.

Keep up the good work Liz!
:sunny:

Roo2 12-04-2012 07:11 PM

Over weekend took my teenage daughter shopping for a dress for Turn about.
As she was trying several dresses I looked at myself in a Full Length Mirror.
I have avoided looking at myself for quite awhile so this is a NSV for me.
Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Kat117 12-05-2012 09:41 AM

For the first time in many years, I saw myself in the mirror today and felt pretty (instead of repulsed).

SW- 280
CW - 225.2
GW - 120

kelijpa 12-05-2012 08:53 PM

Roo2, Kat117, congrats on the NSV, I actually smile at myself when I look in the mirror (for a change), I know what you're talking about :)

newleaf123 12-06-2012 01:48 PM

Lizarddau great feeling with the clothes getting looser, eh? Glad to hear that your food is on track and you’re still exercising despite being sore. Be careful not to overdo it – definitely listen to your body…

Kelijpa glad to hear that you’re adding some arm weights. And it helps more than just your arm if you’re using free weights – your whole core benefits; yay!

Roo2 & Kat117 & Kelijpa glad to hear that the mirror is your friend again. I know that feeling of sadness when you aren’t happy with what you see. It’s become my friend again, too!

My NSV today is that about a month ago I started wearing an old pair of larger size 12s I had in my closet, and I also moved 2 smaller pairs of size 12s into my drawer to grow down into. I wore one pair yesterday and another today!! I have a few pairs of even smaller size 12s (what’s with sizing??), so I moved them out of the closet and into the drawer as motivation. I’m hoping that they fit in 5 pounds.

newleaf123 12-06-2012 08:49 PM

Big NSV - resisted the urge to break into the bag of Jelly Bellys sitting in the closet... You should have seen me, as if there was the devil on one shoulder and angel on the other. Ugh. But that was about an hour and a half ago, and the desire seems to have passed. Huge victory. Junky candy is my downfall...

2FatCats 12-13-2012 10:15 AM

I had never heard of NSVs until now. I actually had to look at the abbreviations sticky to figure out what it meant!

Since I routinely beat myself up over missteps I love the idea of building myself up with NSVs instead!
Yesterday:
1. I love love LOVE a little coffee with my sugar. I've tried sugar substitues but can't abide the taste. As I was making my cup I pulled out the sugar bowl and the spoon (.5 TBL) and prepared to scoop 3, yes THREE, into my coffee.:o But I didn't I only put 2. Levelled off, not even heaping! And yep, the coffee was nasty and bitter and tasted disgusting. Then I got busy rooting around the forums and I picked up my cup to drink and noticed that it was gone. I drank it all and didn't even notice the *missing* sugar! I did it again today and it didn't taste bad at all! Next goal: ratchet it down to ONE.

avalonmoon 12-13-2012 12:19 PM

Thanks newleaf for starting this thread. You are getting stronger and that is an important perk. For me I had a couple from yesterday. I rarely get out so yesterday I was admist a very large hospital ( I have for the most part been agorophobic a long time-this year has been my progress but with this weightloss it is getting more progressive) All the people who I passed by would smile and say 'hi, how are you' just as people did with me in the old days, when I wasn't 'fat'. The other one was my nutrition has improved so I had to forage yesterday, my body felt yucky from substandard food. My body has told me it likes my 'new' lifestle and dislikes eatting bad (at least for a whole day) lol.

MrsTryingAgain 12-13-2012 11:38 PM

I LOVE seeing ladies from the 40's board here! Awesome! That's where I hang out most.... 2fatcats, I hadn't hear of NSV's either! I acutally googled it! :o

But I have one!!! I wear men's jeans, because I have a very short waist...womens jeans either ride too high or too low. It was kinda funny how my NSV happened. I need to do laundry. I grabbed the only clean pair of jeans I could find...they were 42s NOT 44s!! I'm down a size in my jeans! :dancer: WOO HOO!!

2fatcats: I grew up drinking my coffee black anyways. It's how my parents drank it & it's how I learned to drink it. I also found it a good idea because sometimes sugar & creamer weren't available. I could still have coffee! :coffee: Good job cutting back. Keep up the excellent work!

avalonmoon: Glad you are overcoming obstacles. Isn't amazing when you eat right, your body starts to actually crave it? Keep going!

newleaf: YEAH!! The angel won! WOO HOO! I have a huge sweet tooth...as grandma would say, "I come by it honestly." I totally get your battle, I find it's easier to just not have it around. If it's available...it's gone! I have ZERO self-control. :cp::cp: for you!!!

kelijpa, Kat & Roo: You guys have a lot of courage! I haven't tried the mirror yet. The bathroom mirror still scares me. It does take a lot to look at ourselves & to honestly think...okay, I may not be perfect, but I am a work in progress. CONGRATS!!!

syndehat: Moving up the seat in the car? AWESOME!!! That is definitely something to celebrate! You go for it!!!

Thanks for the NSVs! This is just what I needed! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

newleaf123 12-14-2012 03:03 PM

2fatcats that is awesome about your coffee!! For me, eating a lot less sugar makes naturally sweet things taste so much more special. Funny, as I was putting my sugar in my coffee today, I thought about trying to drink it with no sugar. Fleeting thought, quickly said "Nah..." I use 1/2 tsp.

avalon moon great to hear hat your confidence is improving and your food tastes are changing. Both great things!

mrs trying again great job on dropping down into the next size of jeans! That's awesome! I did end up eating more jelly beans than I should have on Saturday night and woke up feeling really gross on Sunday. I've been spending a lot of time reading about sugar since then, trying to break its hold on me... I've determined that I'm not sensitive to all sugar, just junky candy. Must be psychological; need to fix this. Work in progress.

I'm wracking my brain for an NSV this week. Nothing comes to mind, but luckily I have had SVs (scale victories!) so all is good :)

kelijpa 12-16-2012 08:53 AM

my legs feel really strong from doing higher inclines on the treadmill. Feel like running up the stairs all the time at work...

twinieten 12-16-2012 05:23 PM

MrsTryingAgain, I love the accidentally-put-on-the-smaller-jeans NSV! It's happened to me. What a great feeling! I remember last time I lost weight, the big thing was when I could wear my husband's jeans.

I have a couple. I don't know if this one can really be considered an NSV or not, but I'll share anyways because it's a major lifestyle accomplishment. I've had issues with maintaining my weight in the past. I have been on 3 major diets where I lost weight and then in maintenance, gained it all back because I didn't have the motivation/priority/self control to reign myself in and keep my weight within a range. Currently, my goal is just just not gain through the holidays, but I gained 3 pounds! I reigned myself in just by choosing more sensible foods, reducing my calories for a couple of days, avoiding sweets, and I manage to get that 3 pounds back off. Woot!

My other NSV is the holiday Christmas party this past weekend. I must say, I was pleased with how I looked in my dress! I picked a very slimming cut, on top of the fact that I'm pretty close to my goal weight. It really feels good to be thin!

avalonmoon 12-16-2012 07:02 PM

newleaf~ Thanks. I am mostly towing the line. Food is different for me these days.:)

MrsTryingagain, congrats on your 42s!! That is so cool. :carrot:

Kat117 12-17-2012 01:27 PM

You ladies are so inspiring!

Congrats to everyone for moving forward on this journey. Some days we take huge steps, other days our forward motion is nearly unnoticable. But the key is that we all are motivated and keep moving forward - emotionally, mentally, physically. Some times the scale won't move, but you have an ah-ha moment that is so profound that it makes the difference in moving forward or not.

Be proud of yourselves for every day, every choice you make that is creating a healthy, happier you! Every day we stick to our choice to move forward is a huge NSV!

AwShucks 12-19-2012 02:19 AM

I had one tonight! I have a formal event in early March, so I've been thinking that I must find something to wear. I went shopping after work and found several dresses to try on, and one particularly pretty navy blue evening gown that I decided, "No way would I fit in that." So, I kept looking.

Before I made the trip back to the dressing room, I looked again at the pretty navy blue number, sadly muttering,"I wish I could wear this one; I really like it," again leaving it on the rack. Of several, I found 3 that I liked and decided to take them home to "really" try them on -- things always seem different at home.

On the way out, I passed the rack with the pretty navy blue number, and decided to just purchase it and see if it would fit; I could always return it.

Well, bowl me over! It fits like a glove - size 16. I was floored. I took it off and held the dress out, looking at the hip width. My head was telling me no way could that fit me! But it did. I'm still thrilled. It's beautiful, and I can't wait to wear it!

Kat117 12-19-2012 09:20 AM

that has to be such a great feeling AwShucks! Congrats to you. I bet you look stunning in the gown!

newleaf123 12-19-2012 05:50 PM

kelijpa great job on the treadmill! I find that feeling stronger is so motivating...

twinieten great job on reigning yourself back in; that is a total NSV... And great on the dress, too! I said the exact same thing to my husband last weekend; that I'm so happy to be thin again... (and then proceeded to begin a 3-day free for all on BBQ chips and jelly beans. Sabotage much?)

AwShucks how fabulous to get to wear the dress that you were pining for... I'm really happy for you; I bet you will look great!

Okay, me... hmmm, can I think of a recent NSV?? (see above re: BBQ chips and jelly beans; it hasn't been a stellar week) Okay, there was truly a pause there of at least 2 minutes while I cogitated... But I came up with something! I am looking vertical now! I bought a t-shirt in August that was too tight through my torso. Now it is loose there. And if I put the shirt on with jeans, I'll be damned -- I look tall and thin! Looking forward to the warm weather when I can actually wear the shirt!

kelijpa 12-19-2012 08:29 PM

This is not an NSV, more like a senior moment, but making me laugh so I have to share, I'm reading this post, looking at the little picture, avatar, whatever you call it, and then re-reading it thinking wow that's so well written, did I write that, I was incredibly lucid that day, but don't remember writing it, then realized it wasn't me...hahahaha...it was Kat117! :goodvibes

NewLeaf~that's a great feeling wearing something that was too tight that is now loose, I bet you look great!!

AwShucks~congrats on the dress, that's an awesome story.

best to all :sunny:

newleaf123 12-19-2012 09:43 PM

kelijpa - yeah, your senior moment is pretty funny! Time to get a new avatar, no?

twinieten 12-20-2012 11:37 AM

kelijpa - Too funny!

Newleaf- that's a great NSV! I laughed out loud too... "I'll be damned-- I look tall and thin!" Love it! I had a moment like that over the summer. Hahaha... jelly bean and BBQ chips..... Yup, I know how that goes. Let me tell you how glad I was when I finally finished that barrel of cheese balls my MIL left here for the kids so I'd quit torturing myself by eating the darned things (instead of throwing them away).

Awshucks- I'm so glad that navy blue one fit! What a sweet NSV!

guacamole 12-20-2012 12:42 PM

All of these NSVs make me smile! I really don't have any good ones lately, other than I refrained from baking chocolate chip cookies today. I have been baking dozens of chocolate chip cookies every Thursday or Friday for the past month "for my kids." Well, all of those cookies have now taken up residence on my butt, belly, thighs, upper arms, and chins. Ugh....so, no cookies this weekend. I guess that's an NSV.

avalonmoon 12-20-2012 02:23 PM

Hi Heida and ladies ... A new developement, I'm no longer round...lol I'm at the end of size 18 and begging of 16 in all my bottoms here. Also my last cpl pairs of old larger pants have to go, the inseem was to the floor, okay not really but let's say it's unbeliveable I wore those and filled them out. Maybe I should get a pic in them in a few months. lol

Things are going as planned ... 'I'm melting' to quote the witch in the Wizard of Oz. :)

pluckypear 12-25-2012 03:19 PM

Ummm my NSV is that sex is getting even better with DH. I am more flexible and even with a 30 pound loss my tummy is smaller. So that is good. :)

kelijpa 12-29-2012 08:19 PM

have been snow shoeing the past few days with the snow, feeling strong, the NSV is that my parkas both have room in them, one is yellow I looked like a giant lemon in it, looking at pics we took on the hike I can now see a waistline...yeeha!

newleaf123 01-01-2013 11:30 PM

Guacamole - I think it's great re baking the cookies. I try to do that too, be honest with myself regarding whether buying something for my kids, like cookies, is really for me. 75% of the time, I out the cookies back on the shelf at the store.

Avalon Moon - it's great that you are dropping a size, especially in December! I love your new avatar photo

Plucky Pear - glad you are having fun!

Kelijpa - so glad that your jackets are getting looser! I love that roomy feel. Always a good reminder...

So here is an NSV for me. I shoveled the driveway today and felt great. I haven't shoveled for the past 2 winters,for fear of throwing my back out. So great to be feeling strong!

newleaf123 01-10-2013 05:36 PM

New one for me -- I was putting on a bracelet today -- you know, the type that has a necklace clasp? It was so much easier than the last time I wore it, probably a few months ago. The loose end that I had to catch with the clasp seemed to hang down so much farther and was easier to catch. Who knew I had weight in my wrists to lose...

kelijpa 01-10-2013 08:51 PM

congrats on the NSVs NewLeaf, great to feel strong and see your weight loss in unexpected places!

2FatCats 01-11-2013 11:03 AM

Newleaf: I know that one! The necklace version, too!

So I have one - or two!
#1 I was grocery shopping yesterday - just pushing my cart along and minding my own business. As I neared the end of the toothpaste aisle I had to let go with my left hand to do a little wiggle/shimmy and pull my pants up - to include my undies that were sliding down! Yippee! Probably not what anyone else thought if they caught me with my hand in my pants! :o
And - They were the smaller size in my drawer, too! I like having fit options.:D
#2: I got home and unloaded all the groceries. I take everything out of the bags to mentally organize it before I actually start restocking. I was missing the bags with cans and boxed foods! I looked in the dining room, back out to the car, just couldn't find the bag anywhere. THEN I rembered - I didn't buy any! Why? Because I don't eat over-processed foods much anymore. I bought fresh fruits, veggies, dairy and meats! Silly girl - forgot I eat healthy!

SeeMyFeet 01-12-2013 08:52 PM

2FC: #1--BWWWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAHAAHAA :rofl:
OMG can't stop:rofl:

OK.....I think I finally may be able to add one to this thread. Pants and PJ bottoms not staying up too well. Even when hubs is not in the room :o. Comfortable fit in a smaller size pants. (Hmmmm....evidently "pants" is one of those words like "scissors" that you never see singular.)

kelijpa 01-12-2013 10:39 PM

2FatCats and SeeMyFeet, you two put a smile on my face, thanks so much for sharing your humor and cheerfulness :D

NSV-superfast walk with DH today at railtrail 4 miles 62 minutes, the ice cream binge that followed will go in the confessions thread...

newleaf123 01-13-2013 04:01 PM

Put on a spring jacket this morning (it was in the 60s!!), zipped it up, walked off. Only then did I remember that this jacket used to not fit around the hips and I had to hitch it up to zip it. Yay!! I needed that little boost. I've been struggling with food the last couple of days.

kelijpa 01-13-2013 06:20 PM

:cheer: NewLeaf!