Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #91  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday went pretty well. Too many carbs, though, and a big lunch of eggplant parmeggian and whole wheat pasta(yum). 45 minutes on the elliptical - burned about 300 calories. Stopped eating early in the day.

I started a Valentine's Day 40's challenge thread - please stop by!

shining, hope you got some sleep and that today is better for you.

pp, good luck at the dentist.

michele, glad dinner worked out for you!

CAN, find some snack-type foods that you can eat quickly - things like bananas and almonds are usually good.

Stacie, did you get some exercise in? I usually don't feel like it, but I project ahead and know I'll feel better about myself if I just do it.

andrew, what a fantastic week you had!!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Thanks, everyone, for all the support.

I took yesterday off the exercise to get a little rest and recovery in. I will be back at it later today. Ate clean, though not enough. I slept late and missed a whole meal, ugh. But I was tired so that helped with that.

To all of you that fell off the wagon over the weekend. Get back up on it. To those that stayed on it, good for you. Keep up the good work.

If you're just starting out, plan, prepare, get advice. There's lots of good stuff here.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #93  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Two days of holiday carb eating equals 5 pounds on the scale. At this point, I just have to laugh, but, back to lowering my carbs again. It will be a tough couple days though. Yikes!

Bought some PB2 powder to try. I hope it is as filling as regular peanut butter. What is the point of lowering the fat content if I just need to turn around and eat more to keep from getting hungry? We will see.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningthru View Post
Hey all
just thought i would chime in about Houston. I lived there for a few years. I used to love to go running there actually... something about the humidity i actually liked.. go figure I also like running in the rain in AZ so i guess thats kinda the same.. hee hee
While I do NOT like running, whenever I go to Houston in August, I always run for my exercise. Because I don't have my gym, I run around my in-laws lakes in their community-- I try to go early, but I'm always drenched by the time I return. It helps me to maintain my weight though when I'm there and exposed to all of my favorite restaurants.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #95  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Good Monday all! Hope you have a wonderful on track weekend!
For myself, I totally fell off the wagon this weekend and I am really starting to get disgusted with myself. I do good for a couple of days and then screw up on the weekend or I do well during the day and screw up in the evening. I just need to get it together so I can lose my final 10lbs.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #96  
Is this the last time?

S/C/G: 191/see tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,

I'm back. It was spring 2010 when I did so well. I maintained pretty well, creeped back up a bit, but then this past summer, my 15 yr old was diagnosed with epilepsy and we spent the summer together, every minute of every day while he was on meds to control the seizures (infrequent, thank goodness), but he was angry, I was angry (at the unfairness of getting sick when he should have been striking out and becoming more independent), and this fall I also had to be home when he was home, not sleeping, worrying about him having a seizure between about 2 and 6 am, eating, going to therapy (family and for me), and working of course. Longer story, no need for more details at this point, but I've gained my 20 pounds before having reached my initial goal, and need some sort of motivational help. I'm sad, sad, sad, about my baby boy. And I sent my (19 yr old) baby girl on her study abroad program last week. And it's winter in Pittsburgh. And the Steelers lost last night.

I'm not sure I'll start smash fat again since that's hard to follow on my own and feeding my son (my husband would be happy to join me on this because he's feeling the approach to 50 as well), but I'm thinking about it.

Thanks all,
Misskitty
misskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Monday everyone!

To those of you struggling to get (back) on track...take it one meal, one food choice at a time. Plan ahead! You can do it!

To those who are seeing the scale down with some regularity...great job!

I seem to be somewhere in between. Overall the scale is going down, but I'm still struggling with cravings from all the sweets I've been consuming. So hard! Now if I could just get motivated to move my body more!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
And the Steelers lost last night.
Sorry about that.

Go Broncos!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #99  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Good reports for both of us from the dentist. We did some shopping, too. We hoped to have some time to take April for a walk but it starting raining before we made it home.

I'm feeling better and itching to try my new workouts soon! Tomorrow I have a routine visit to the eye doc, why do these things get scheduled back to back?

MissKitty, welcome back! What a tough stituation but I bet the extra time with you son is nice.

NE, I've felt that way for a long time. I felt I was doing so well, seeing some progress and then just 'walked away' or I binged on something, destroying whatever progress I've made. Keep tryihg; where would we be if we gave up completely .

Berry, what iS PB2?

Natamars, your pasta sounds wonderful

Shining, sorry to hear about the phone call...hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 01-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #100  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

OK, posting here and trying to avoid the kitchen. I did well with food today but had a very stressful discussion with DH this afternoon and am trying not to turn to food. I had a Skinny Cow as soon as I walked in the door but am trying to leave it at that.

pp, glad you're feeling better.

moondance, so true - the more junk we eat the more we crave it! also trying to wean myself off after the holidays.

misskitty I'm sorry you've had such a rough time - good to see you back. I liked fat smash when I did it because it's very close to my normal way of eating anyway. You'll find what works for you and your family.

NEMom, I hear you - been struggling with the same thing. But we're still here trying, right?

berry, I'm sure the 5 will be gone quickly - you know you didn't really gain that. But it sucks seeing the number all the same.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 185/178/150

Height: 5'6"

I had a great day yesterday at the gym 35 min in the elliptical and weight training on my arms. Im sore today but was a bit bummed to see an extra 2 lbs on the scale. I think it's just water weight since I seem to be down about 1 1/2 inches but I still am anxious to see the weight start to disappear :0(

My biggest problem in the last 2 days seems to be sweets-I have got to conquer sweets, especially chocolate. Otherwise my eating is great. Theresa
HoosierMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #102  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Mon Jan 9
B= 2 c 1% milk, 1 c cereal + 1/2 c milk
L= Longhorn Steakhouse ~ 1/2 Fontina Chicken sand 1/2 sweet pot +butter and cin/sugar
S= 1/2 apple
D= 2.5 oz {yes, I weighed}, 1.2 c green bean cass, 1/2 c sourdough dressing
S= slice pumpkin pie, 1/2 apple
E=none

Calories = 1587

I'm not sure I will keep up the C Counting. I've tried it before without very great results; I felt deprived {at 1800+}, like I couldn't eat anything 'yummy' without exceeding cals, and I felt like I was spending more time concentrating on food when I was trying to become less obsessed. I'm in a better place now with food, but I'm afraid of going 'there' again. So we shall see what happens.

Theresa, Good job on the exercise. I feel you will be able to conquer cravings.

Natamars, be strong. Eating something won't make you feel better!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #103  
YESiCAN

S/C/G: 293/285/150

Height: 5'2

Today was a wonderful day...I ate good and exercise...

Natamars, thanks for the idea and how do we find your valentine challenge?

Theresa good job exercising

Patch do what works for you just keep moving forward

misskitty the black and gold went DOWN....
CANi2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #104  

Another good day for me. It's getting easier to stick with it. I prepare at night for the next day and that makes it easy to ensure I eat what's on my plan and only that.

I did a mid-week check and I'm down a couple more pounds, which bothers me some as I'm sure it's mostly water weight. I can tell I'm starting to lose weight and my metabolism is starting to kick in but I'm 10 days in and down 6.5 pounds. That's a bit much. I've been trying to get my water intake up, but I'm still not where I need to be, I guess.

I'm starting to work out harder this week. Not a lot harder but some. I jogged almost 3 miles and did some intervals during it.

Nat -- you hang in there. We men can be ... difficult sometimes. Food is not really a comfort thing. You need a heavy bag. Something you can punch.

Moondance Often our cravings are telling us something. Typically we crave the things we are missing from our diets. Particularly if you are not eating enough. I'm 1000 calories down per day from my maintenance level and the only time I get hungry is when I lose track of time and wait too long between meals. I actually don't crave anything, which is surprising considering that M&Ms (peanut) have been a staple for me for years. Seriously. Years.

MissKitty That's tough. My grandfather had epilepsy and dealt with it his whole life. Remember though that the healthier you are, the better you will be able to handle the stresses in your life.

Patch One of the things I read recently was that you shouldn't constantly have to count calories. Most of the time we eat the same things over and over. Once we know how many calories that is, there isn't really any need to count them. But if you aren't getting the results you expect, it's always good to be able to account for what we're doing and adjust accordingly. Do things like spot check. Count them for a day and see where you are. Figure out what your exercise is adding to that and make sure you're eating to accommodate.

NEMom
Get back on the wagon and buckle up.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMomma View Post
I had a great day yesterday at the gym 35 min in the elliptical and weight training on my arms. Im sore today but was a bit bummed to see an extra 2 lbs on the scale. I think it's just water weight since I seem to be down about 1 1/2 inches but I still am anxious to see the weight start to disappear :0(

My biggest problem in the last 2 days seems to be sweets-I have got to conquer sweets, especially chocolate. Otherwise my eating is great. Theresa
Put the chocolate down and step away. In fact get it out of your house if you are unable to overcome the temptation. That will help a lot. If you don't buy it you won't eat.