3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   Are you open about your weight loss struggles? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/247474-you-open-about-your-weight-loss-struggles.html)

peachypeg 03-07-2012 10:53 PM

I have hid my "number" from my boyfriend. We met and I was over weight but I was really embarassed by my hang over tummy. Three kids by c-section will do a number on the tummy first off, but then that milestone (or should I say millstone) of hitting that big 4-0 did another number.
We are both now trying to change our tummies. LOL He keeps asking what I weigh.....but I won't tell. He did get a ball park number but I told him flat out that I didn't like the number and was embarassed to tell him. He was understanding of that. No one else matters in my weight loss (or gain). I don't discuss what I am doing or not doing with anyone.

kirsteng 03-08-2012 01:20 PM

I'm with you too, Peachypeg. My husband does not know my weight, never has, never will. Being over 6 feet tall, my GOAL weight is getting close to 200 pounds. My husband is 5'10" and about 170 pounds max. At my goal, I will still be big compared to him. So let's not even talk about where I'm starting... not something he needs to know! ;)

I've also never talked about my weight with other friends or family members. Yes, I've mentioned when I was on a diet years ago - Atkins - and was losing weight pretty rapidly so everyone asked about it. But I've never named the number - too embarassing. If I was 5 feet tall and 60 pounds overweight, my weight would be in the 170's. At my height, it's in the stratosphere. ;) No one needs to hear it and try to hide their horror.

peachypeg 03-08-2012 09:30 PM

<~~~~ 5 foot tall and....yeah......

Weight goes EVERYWHERE

Micki k 03-08-2012 10:24 PM

I think it depends on the people I'm talking to. I'm not going to sit and discuss my weight in detail when I'm hanging out with my husbands coworkers and their wives. But I like to talk about my journey with my sister in law who's working on losing weight herself. Or my friend who just lost 110 lbs on Weight Watchers. I have no problem sharing with them because they get it.
I worked for 7 years in a plus size clothing store. I saw women of all sizes in varying stages of their losses and gains. Some were very comfortable in their larger bodies and had no problem sharing. Others were struggling to get used to their new size. Its all about how comfortable you are in your body at the time.
As far as sharing with my husband...he's the only person in my life that I can truly say anything to. That's why I married him. I tell him every single pound I lose or gain. He cheers me on when I lose and let's me pout when I gain. He even weighs my food and figures out my points for me when he cooks. He's good like that, and I couldn't imagine keeping things from him.

threenorns 03-09-2012 07:26 AM

yeah - because i have difficulty knowing what is appropriate conversation and what isn't.

if you're sitting in a restaurant listening to two women at the next table discuss the consistency of the baby's bowel movement, guaranteed it's probably me and my bff (who is perfectly normal except for anxiety and panic disorders but doesn't give a rat's what anybody says - she puts me above any random stranger's opinion).

but i don't discuss my weight loss plan with my husband - he's a restaurant cook and west indian so me not eating is almost a mortal insult.

kirsteng 03-09-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micki k (Post 4246597)
As far as sharing with my husband...he's the only person in my life that I can truly say anything to. That's why I married him. I tell him every single pound I lose or gain. He cheers me on when I lose and let's me pout when I gain. He even weighs my food and figures out my points for me when he cooks. He's good like that, and I couldn't imagine keeping things from him.

You might feel differently if you outweighed him by 100 pounds though!

EagleRiverDee 03-09-2012 04:59 PM

It depends on who I'm talking to. I'm fairly open about my weight struggles and what I'm doing to fix it, but I only bring it up if it's relevant to what is being discussed or if I'm asked. I'm not hiding anything, but it's not always appropriate to bring up.

Sum38 03-09-2012 05:20 PM

I can be totally obnoxious about my weight loss :o -- My friends have known me for a long time and know how I hated being fat and talked about doing something about it for years....now that I am finally doing it, and nearly 20 pounds down, I am proud of myself and not hiding it.

What I did; I decided to shed some weight last December and I basically shut myself from the world, at first. I literally did not see my friends for 3 months. Luckily it was a xmas season at first and everyone was busy. -- I needed time to concentrate on me, just me. I decided to be selfish.

I saw many of my friends for the first time this past weekend, and yes I was not shy about my progress. -- It is very interesting how people react...some are real friends, some are just...well...not...

J6Pack 03-26-2012 09:44 AM

Sacrifce, nutrition, hunger, and activity lead to gain??

Frustration does not even begin to cover my emotions. I have a knot in my throat, you know that tight ache you hold back before you cry. I'm so mad. I do love the new permanent change in eating habits. I don't like the word diet. I was on starch blockers and Lean Cuisine when I was 8 - called all kinds of names, even by my dad (looked like a sumo wrestler). Diets do not work. Only permanent healthy changes will. Right? Hhhmmmmppphhffff! I am on Lasix, so fluid ups and downs are playing a role, but I went to bed last night sore and exhausted from working so hard this weekend, was so proud of myself for the excellent choices, healthy eating, etc. So, I gained 3 pounds this morning!!!!! Why shouldn't I just go back to eating all that I want portion-wise???? This is not paying off, and I started at the beginning of March of this year. I was at 15 pounds, now back at 12. Not sure if I can hold back those tears.:(

pixelllate 03-26-2012 10:22 AM

The people around me are usually people who are critical of anyone losing weight and this "journey" is so hard that I don't need any discouragement. I did just open up that I cut out sugar and refined carbs, but I am doing it so that I no longer have to make excuses like "Oh i have to go here or there" instead of at a pasta filled dinner party.
I feel a lot more unabashed about my healthier diet, so I am open about that but I am refraining from admitting that I am trying to lose weight as well, its just not worth those "you don't have to!" and everyone says that to anyone no matter what the weight lol.
But that was the first time in months that I admitted it. I do feel awkward about it because I am not perfect, and I think that no matter what I say people think I am 100% cutting it out, but oh well.

ksails 03-26-2012 11:38 AM

my husband knew my big number was over 300 pounds, and he knows i have lost 69 pounds.. he doesnt try to do the math, he just pats my hiney and tells me im beautiful lol. As far as other people are concerned, i dont say anything unless they specifically ask, the question, "wow have you lost weight??" then i just say yah. and dont go into detail. lol