3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   40-Something Chat. All Welcome and that's no April Fools! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/229525-40-something-chat-all-welcome-thats-no-april-fools.html)

patchworkpenguin 04-01-2011 09:52 AM

40-Something Chat. All Welcome and that's no April Fools!

Yesterday My parents and I took April to the vet for her pre-op checkup. Since April is overweight the vet was concerned about her thyroid and suggested a test. I figured he could look at 'overweight me' and figure that out but it can't hurt. Hubby got home from work a few hours early {he's been attending a conference this week} so we tried to get things done around the house. No workout.

Yesterday, my sister who lives in FL texted my Dad that she and everyone else was in the stairwell of her office building, Its was storming, the power had gone out, and they were under a tornado warning!! In FL? Everything turned out okay but that was very strange

nationalparker 04-01-2011 10:08 AM

PP - do you do something besides surgery for April to celebrate "her" month? :) Was she born in April or any ties? GOOD LUCK with everything on Monday if you don't pop in much over the weekend.

FL - hope your nose/sinus is back to normal today - how frustrating! Hope you're pain free!

I moved up here from Florida and was looking forward to getting AWAY from our severe thunderstorms and tornados. Not so. Hope they were okay and no wind/storm damage.

Not sure why I've made more indulgent foods this week - last night I made sweet potato casserole - only with two large sweet potatoes, but with the size of those suckers, it was plenty. Dang - worked out to be high points.

Weigh-in is tomorrow and it might be ugly. How much weight can I drop in clothes only (which is what I SWORE I wouldn't let get in my mind). Hm. ;)

Finished painting the front room, got the TV attached to the wall, and everything back in place. Looks great! YAY. Now onto the used bookstore and goodwill today to drop off a few stacks of things. Finished up at 11 last night and fell into bed before waking up at 2:30 after an unsettling dream and tossing and turning for hours. We get off early today, so I'm hoping to use the time to get in some good exercise and marketing for some good veggies for the weekend. Dinner tonight will be lettuce-less salads with black beans, I think.

patchworkpenguin 04-01-2011 10:17 AM

Jules, welcome. Glad to have you join us!

FL, nice of your hubby to inconvience himself to help you! Sorry about the root canal and your nose. Hope its better by now.

Losing, glad you and your dad had a recipe fest. Sounds good!

Ashley, I found the Extra brand gum at the grocery store, in the candy aisle. They also have strawberry shortcake and Key Lime??? http://www.wrigley.com/global/brands/extra.aspx

Annie, congrats on another pain free day.

Phoenix good job on reaching/exceeding your goal!

NP, We got April from the Hum Soc as an adult and they didn't know her bday. We assume it was in April {as is mine, LOL} but we brought her home on Jan 20th, so we 'celebrate' that day, which usually involves a few extra treats, a new toy, and extra petting.

Ashley777 04-01-2011 11:33 AM

It is amazing how one feels when they get proper sleep, I slept solid 7 hours last night and feel amazing this morning. Have my energy back from being sick and wish I could go workout now but have to wait till my lunch hour. It was almost painful the last two days exercising, just dragging myself along but glad I did. I am going to try and eat more during my good days so not to derail myself on other days on account of being to hungry.
FL – I was thinking of you this morning and how you shared you struggle in the morning and are good at night but I seem to struggle mid afternoon and if I make it thru that, it is possible to have a hard time at dinner then if I mess up at dinner I figure what the heck and snack away the evening vowing to start again tomorrow. I feel like a hamster on a wheel!

AnnieDrews 04-01-2011 02:02 PM

HI everyone! Happy Friday!!:carrot: It is finally warming up and we may have record temps over the weekend. With our drought going on, that spells "grass fires"....yuck! I may try to get out Sunday and work on cat-proofing my flower beds more. Going out to fiance's tonight. I got a 152.5 on the scale this morning. I stepped on/off 3 times to be sure. With all the unhealthy eating I've done this week, I was surprised it wasn't worse. I'll take it!:D Did 2 miles walking DVD this morning.

I'm having some dizziness today. I hadn't had any all week and am a little upset to have it now. I will be keeping my appt. with the ear doctor on Monday. I hope he can do something for this. I'm getting a little worried....it has been a month since this started.

FL-I can sympathize with the dental work. Hope your nose got back to normal after the numbness wore off.:hug: Glad your hubby is on board for keeping your temptations out of sight!!

PP-Hope everything checks out for April's surgery. Glad your DH is home safe and sound.

NP-Good luck with weigh-in tomorrow. I LOVE sweet potatoes! I've been having them baked lately. I allow myself 1 Tbsp. of butter as an indulgence. It really isn't much worse than using the lighter stuff and tastes so much better.

Ashley-Great news on getting good sleep! Good luck keeping on track this weekend.

OH.....found the spring-time invasion of ants has started at my house. I had always had them try to set up camp in my kitchen at my old house. Now they seem to like my bathroom at this house. Went and bought some Combat Ant Baits over my lunch break. I'll put them out when I get home this afternoon. Hope they work as well as they did at the other place. I hate creepy crawlies....esp. in the house!:mad:

patchworkpenguin 04-01-2011 03:01 PM

Although today is normally a weights day since my triceps are still sore from Tuesdays workout, I decided to switch and try my new TM interval schedule. I had to drop my speed on the last new interval but I would rather drop speed than trip and fall on my face, LOL

Annie, I'm expecting the ants to arrive here also. I might try spaying around the kitchen BEFORE they show up this year. We also have palmetto/water bugs showing up especially in the bathroom, I've gotten to stomp on a few so far.

Ashley, you inspired me to exercise today even though I thought I was too tired. :hug:

Ashley777 04-01-2011 04:59 PM

Penguin - glad I inspired you to exercise, that is awesome. There are times that is is real hard to do it but once I get going I feel so much better all around.

Bugs - grosssssss, we have water running everywhere here right now due to everything melting, it will sure be green when its done. Hope nothing gets flooded.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I am so glad it is here. Have to take daughter to emergency dentist visit after work way across town not looking forward to the drive but it will be nice to spend a bit of time with her without the kids along. her tooth is literally rotting out of her mouth andhas deteriorated very quickly.

fruitlady 04-01-2011 06:08 PM

national- thanks, there was no pain after the numbness wore off, thankfully. My nose is still running, but not as bad. Good luck with your weigh in!

patch- Hubby tries to help, he knows I have a hard time. I'm a lucky woman, good luck with your doggy.

ashley- Breakfast time for me is like a feast for the past month. I used to be like you, but I found if I have to eat more, the morning is the best time. I have the whole day to burn it off. Night eating makes me gain weight, it's never too late to make better food choices after you think you messed up. I've learned to just forget it and move on with healthy eating.

Annie- thanks, I'm better, but not normal yet. Good luck with getting rid of the ants, I get them every spring, big black ones & real tiny ones. I hate them too!

Another rainy day, it was snowing this morning like crazy. It's April, time for warmer weather, not snow! So, of course no walk today, rode the bike for 20min, then had to deliver my mom's groceries. She's in assisted living, has access to the dining room anytime she wants, it's included in her rent of over 4000.00! And she won't go! I have to get her groceries every week. Oh well, just one more thing for me to do. At least I have no pain from the dentist, my nose isn't as bad, but I still have to carry a box of tissues everywhere, what a pain in the butt. Went over my calories a bit today cause I had a huge breakfast, but ate all healthy food and this is the third day without eating junk food or peanut butter & my weight is coming down. So I'm happy!

Losing80 04-01-2011 09:18 PM

Happy April, everyone. Our local park has opened all of its interior roads today for a 6-week azalea tour and extravaganza. Annoying to the dog and people walkers but nice for the community. Still I'm looking forward to most of the roads being closed off again! Managed to walk 5 miles today, mostly dashing away from tourists' cars, and cranked out some pushups.

It was a very bad food day, following a couple progressively worse food days. My cycle seems go be good for a few days, then I slide, then I hit bottom. It's that way with all my habits. My conscious will sets the guidelines but whatever I've got programmed deep down in my brain's cellar is throwing me under the bus every time. Aargh. Here I am eating a Cake Pop. So good. So bad.

Ashley, I'd love to do even one regular pushup - anyone see GI Jane? - but so far it ain't in the cards for me. The wall's the best I can do since my kitchen countertop isn't actually attached to the base - lord love a cheap landlord - and the window sill is a little too risky. All that pesky glass. The key to getting a good wall workout is to move your toes further away from the wall a few inches at a time until you finally get a deep enough pushup that leaves you feeling like "whoa - okay, I felt that." You'll probably end up more than an arm's length away from the wall, so your body will make a triangle with the wall and floor. Get your feet far enough back and maintain good plank/core form, and you'll end up doing more than just rocking back and forth. I can do 30 deep good form pushups, so I'm going to try adding some modified floor knee pushups. I wish I could find, say, a 45 degree slant, though, so I could work my way down to the floor. Anyhoo, there's a "hint" post over at the 100 pushup challenge that talks about getting the most out of your workout. We've got lots of folks over there of all fitness and strength levels and we'd love you to join in. Drop by, start, stop, ask questions, start again. It's all good.

Annie - ants! little buggers. got 'em here too just in the last 2-3 days. Wouldn't you think they'd want to play outside? Good on you, 152.5.

FL - man, if actually LOCKING UP the goodies isn't a case of be careful what you wish for... you've got a fantastic DH. Congrats on your weight turning in the right direction.

PP - what's the "TM interval schedule?"

NP - good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. 2 lbs for clothes, right?

jules1216 04-02-2011 09:23 AM

My ds birthday is April 1, he turned 26....my due date was March 31st an when I called people to let them know I had it alot thought I was joking. He and I love museums and just long random drives to nowhere...so this year was bittersweet, I babysat his almost 1 year old and he his very pregnant girlfriend and his friends went out

80--I like how you put it..."My conscious will sets the guidelines but whatever I've got programmed deep down in my brain's cellar is throwing me under the bus every time" I know that feeling all to well unfortunately

fl--awww I hate tooth issues..just had a crownput on where a tooth was cracked..I had pain for over two weeks...I was thinking about investing in ora-jel stock..

Ashley--I babysit my grandson every weekend...the now 3 year old is an awesome sleeper..still sleeps-- 8 to 12 hours at night and a 1- 2 hour nap during the day...but the almost 1 year old...last weekend he got up at 4 am and didnt go down for his first nap till 11...coffee was definitely my friend...

PP--we lost our almost 12 year old to cancer in January..the 11 year old one misses her as much as we do..we are thinking about getting another dog..have been checking the rescue sites..I said I wouldnt get another but who knows

Annie--we have a springtime ant problem from time to time...I run a line of dish soap along the door and window sills...sometimes it has to be applied to the worst incoming spots more than once.

NP--I cant wait for the local fruit/veggie market to reopen for the season.

gotta go...the boys are getting restless!

patchworkpenguin 04-02-2011 10:12 AM

The woman across the street is having a garage sale today, she's moving to MS later this month. We are going to miss her. My parents are taking a day trip to Nashville for shopping and lunch. April is getting a bath tommorow in preperation for her surgery, but otherwise is just another normal Sat.

Jules, April is our first dog together as a married couple. She wasn't socialized before we got her, so she is an only dog, she doesn't get along with others. We are sure that after her death we would eventually get another dog for complany for me, I spend a lot of time home alone, but hope this is something we don't have to think about any time soon.

Losing, Treadmill intervals. Instead of following a cd or program I made up my own. I recently re-did the original adding another interval. The schedule repeats a medium speed steady state walk at 3MPH for 2 min, followed by 1 min at 5MPH, then 1min recovery at 2MPH. I workout in my living room so I occasionally do wall pushups agaist my front door or using the seat of my couch which is less effective, I might add, since its squishy.

Ashely, as with everything else in my life I go through phases with exercise. Sometimes I'm excited about it, and sometimes I just don't want to. I have a bunch of equpiment and DVDs, I spend time on an exercise forum, but I just don't want to actually exercise. I try to get through these phases and sometimes just giving myself a break is what it takes. My week's work ends on Thursdays so I'm always tired on Thurs and Fridays so those are my 'tired and don't want to exercise' days.

patchworkpenguin 04-02-2011 03:36 PM

Did 60min of weights. I've been doing the leg lifts and floorwork on the floor {well, duh} but have always cramped early and often. Today I tried the leg lifts standing {mostly our instructor does legwork laying down but occasionally she stands with a chair} and was able to finish almost cramp-free. Glad I finally tried that. ;)

fruitlady 04-02-2011 06:58 PM

losing- I do the same, every few days I usually mess up and eat alot of junk food. Once you start, it's hard to return to healthy eating & it ends up being days of bad eating. Great job on the 5 mi walk!

jules- Teeth are a pain in the butt, lol For me it's one thing after the other, I know how it feels to be in pain for 2 weeks, I'm glad your crown is on now & your pain is better. Thank goodness for Orajel!

Wow, just got crazy hungry & it hurts, i actually feel sort of sick. I'm eating chicken & almonds while I'm typing. Hopefully I'm not getting sick, maybe I have to raise my calories again. Rode the bike for 20 min, no walk. My weight dropped to 108.9 today, this is where I want to be, don't want to lose anymore. Went over calories by 100 just now(1494), i ate extra for dinner so i would feel better. Have to go to the market yet, it's been a busy day and probably didn't eat enough calories to compensate for that. I guess I have to remember to eat more on busy days. Had some bad financial news last night, lost my appetite, felt nauseous. I couldn't even eat my big breakfast this morning. I tend to dwell on everything, It's not worth risking our health & worrying about it. What happens, happens.

nationalparker 04-02-2011 07:10 PM

Haven't had the most productive day today, but got things done that have needed to be done. WHO knew it'd take almost three hours (!) to leave the house and get back when I went to the market with my hubby. Holy cow. Still have things to put away - we stopped at our local Italian joint that we just found a month ago - they had a kid out at the street with a sandwich board large cheese pizza for $5 so we ordered one and then came home to put away the groceries ... now he's out to pick it up and drop off a redbox movie. Had in my mind the mbkb game was at 7, not 6, so missed most of the first half. Pooh.

WW meeting went well - REALLY like the leader who is subbing for our regular guy (who gave a kidney to his brother - and he's having trouble recuperating - taking much longer and still in hospital)... anyway down 0.8 pounds - slow and steady I guess is what my body is aiming for. As long as it leaves for good!

Was shocked when our bill was more than $200 for the marketing! Then realized we got a kitchen clock, curtains for the front room, an antennae for a tv, and misc. snack crackers for his lunches, etc. things i don't often buy. Still - surprised me. Yikes.

Cold and windy but at least sunny today. NO exercise at all - but aiming to get in a lot tomorrow. Decided to try a 100-mile challenge to myself ... so far on day 2, 0 miles.

Hope everyone is doing well!

risephoenixrise 04-03-2011 11:21 AM

Wow! You all are hard to keep up with !

The weather is starting to turn around here finally- I work all weekend :( but bf & I are planning to take a hike after work (he said rain or shine- we'll see!).

I have had a crazy amount of energy the past few days... Idk if it is getting full swing back into the exercise/healthier eating, getting back to my vitamins/supplements regularly, or what- but I am not complaining!

LOL NP- it always takes twice as long and I spend twice as much when I shop with bf, too.

Good job PP. I don't think I could handle 60 mins of weights at this point. I just want to get back into the strength training regularly. I think I have to commit to doing it at home when bf & I don't go to gym (or skip weight room) on weight days.