Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #1  
Wandering in the Woods

Default A big life change is staring me down.

So, my penpal and I have decided to turn off the computer after our morning session, and I guess I am faced with another big life transition. We have been writing to each other for about four years, and we both have found that we tend to obsess over the instant gratification and constant mental stimulus which the internet provides... and we both have gained weight from it and perhaps lost control of a great amount of our lives. Yes. So, it's good we are doing this together. I have wanted to do it for so long, but always caved in because penpal was just right there, so accessable everytime I got bored or lonely, or rather, percieved myself bored or lonely. My other emailing friends dont' continue during the day, so there is no more pull to come to the computer after the morning, like intervals of every 20 minutes ! It's a bad habit that has crept over me and I realize how unproductive I have become. Mentally I have been sharp, but physically I have become very lazy.

This may be the missing element to gain control , set a spark, and apply discipline to goals and wholeheartedly chase after dreams I have felt out of reach. I just wonder what I can do with my life if suddenly I am given more hours in the day. It will change my life for the better. I am SO ready for this neural pattern loop to stop! I will literally have HOURS in the day more to spend on projects that never seemed to get finished, or even started. My DH and I are building a woodshop/garage right now, and yesterday I got fired up about ideas about what I'd like to make in the shop when it's set up. Drop spindles and niddynoddies, and all kinds of spinning and knitting tools, and buttons galore. I'd like to refinish many of my wobbly antiques that are coming unglued at places. Also the house has been waiting it's spring cleaning. I have just become a lazy bum about the cleaning. There is just so much to do that I have been throwing away, emailing and such ... just so much .

I'd also like to spend more time in the garden, actually weeding, staying active... perpetual motion (burns calories ! ) .

Of course, more exercise is always a possibility too.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 07-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I definitely have it in mind to stop checking the internet all the time! Of course, I've had that in mind for a long time But I think it can really eat up our lives, which are already so short.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

WTG- I had to do the same with my friends- I'd go online and they'd want to talk for hours then I'd miss my workout. Finally I had to tell them either come on earlier or don't expect me to stay around online. They whined a bit but accepted it with time. Honestly I like it better. More time for myself, more time to get the house in order, more time to workout, more time to spend with the family, and so on!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #4  
Sweet girl in L.A.

S/C/G: 242/212/180

Height: 5'2"

I am right there with ya! I don't have time to check it every 20 min.s during the year ( I am a teacher); but this summer, man, I just live on this computer. It was FB mostly till now that I've gotten back on this site. Now I just go back and forth between yahoo, FB and 3fc. It is a wonder I get anything at all done! I need to cut my online time as well and get back to the business of getting my summer projects done b4 school starts back up and there is no time...then there will be just added stress b/c I didn't do what I needed to do to make life more manageable during the school year.
swtgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I seem to live on my computer also and having a small laptop doesn't help. I need to start leaving the computer off more also.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #6  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I work from home, web work, so i'm always attached to this machine - I do enjoy when i take a trip and my connection time is more limited...i miss it like crazy the first 2 days, then i realize just how many hours a day i'm attached to a computer -- free time, work time..etc.

...and I see my son spending his weekends on his computer...mixed blessings, eh? technology is wonderful - keeping us connected, and yet drawing us in and our time...more off the computer time is something i think many of us need!
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

I too work from a home office except when I have to attend appointments with clients, but I am generally always in front of a computer. I have noticed that since I took this job a few years ago that I have a spare tire now and I don't mean on my car and this is annoying my. I have never had a spare tire in my life and now I am at my all time highest weight & I hate it.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #8  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

computer time has replaced tv time for many...for others, they are behind a computer all day and a tv all night...maybe part of "shutting off" should include those types of things for awhile too

I know in the winter i'm worse, but come the nicer weather, i try to get outside for more breaks, go out at least once a day, get moving...etc..maybe you can use the warmer weather as a boost as well
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote