3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   40-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings-216/)
-   -   40 Somethings February Week 3 Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/194255-40-somethings-february-week-3-chat.html)

ICUwishing 02-17-2010 04:30 PM

Hi everyone! It's such an upper to come in and read how well everyone is doing - y'all make a rough day into a good one!

Heidi, I can completely relate to the slump. It's not depression or misery ... just a generalized lack of enthusiasm. I think it's some sort of weird form of hibernation - our "zings" went somewhere on vacation without us. Most likely they're on the beach with Marie! They'll be back when they're refreshed and frisky. :)

annie - congrats on avoiding another junkfest! Impressive strength! The bean salad sounds kinda good - I have a terrible weakness for that sort of stuff. Happily, it's so filling you can't get into a lot of trouble with it!

kathi - yay on the new schedule! And best wishes on a peaceful transition with DS!

marie - how're the cankles? Swelling going down? We need more beach pix - I am so desperate to see some sunshine I could just cry!

peanuts - uck, I hear ya re the water. I stumbled back into my color allergy somehow, and dang it -- 4 POUNDS up in one night. It could only have been the gumball. grrrrrrr. Thank goodness water can be coaxed off much more easily than the other stuff.

bopeep - good to see you again! Glad you've healed! I am a huge fan of Yak Trax. I'm too brittle to risk hitting the ground, and willing to look however silly it takes to avoid doing it. Actually, the ones in black are almost invisible on black boots. Wouldn't matter - I am no style queen.

tigga - welcome back! 6 pounds in a week is awesome! Cripes, I'm happy if I lose 6 pounds in a season ... :)

kitteh - slow starts are still a magnitude over not starting at all. :)

Petra - party on!

At home with sick kid yesterday and today. The good part: I have plenty of work I can do here at home. The bad part: I don't seem to get as much done, and the kitchen is closer than I'd like it to be. I've been filling up all day on hot tea (Heidi - I went from black tea to ginseng to peppermint, and am thinking about ginger!). The good part about that - I think a lot of the water I picked up last night is on its way out/off. :D

Think I'll head out for a swim later on. Although I don't remotely want to - I am in slump-mode with Heidi. But I'll go. I have another meet on March 7, and those will be the times I enter for Atlanta. Yikes!

CruiseCAT 02-17-2010 08:38 PM

Marie - You should seriously look in to being our neighbor down in Costa Maya (our property is in Rio Indio). It's about 4.5 hours south of Cancun; so untouched and non-commercial. The people are just incredible. Here is a link to our friend and realtor Kevin. He has some GREAT property listed right now.

http://costamayaliving.com/

Marcia owns Mayan Beach Garden and also handles some of the rentals in the area. Her site is wealth of information about the area.

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/index.html

Thought I had more time but Mack and I have to run out and pick up more remodel supplies. I'll be back in the morning.

Bellefonte 02-17-2010 08:52 PM

Hello everyone!

AnnieDrew…Good for you on the turkey substitution! I’ve done this for years, and now my daughter doesn’t even like ground beef any more. Turkey is so much more moist, and we make taco salads from it pretty regularly (we sprinkle the crumbled corn chips on top to keep the calories down). I will have to try your recipe for my husband, who likes the Mexican meals more than the salads.

Petra, I’m right near Penn State in a nice little Victorian town called Bellefonte, for the ‘beautiful spring’ that flows through the edge of town. If you draw an X through PA, it goes right through Centre County!

KittehMom, I am with you…most of my calories are after 6pm. I’m good through the day, but in the evenings I just want to EAT.

:dizzy:(I’m currently sitting with a big bowl of steamed broccoli with lemon juice and Greek seasoning…)

Marie, thanks for the welcome, and wow…you are doing great! I’ve caught up on some, but it sounds like you have had a heck of a year so far!

Bopeep…good for you sewing your clothes…that’s ingenuity!:cp:

Heidi…do you get the whole seasonal ‘drags’? I find I’m just starting to get out of the winter blues…a little light still in the sky after 6pm gives me hope that the warm weather will be here with long days of light. And I heard American Cancer Society’s advertisement for Daffodil Days this afternoon, which gives me hope that spring is still coming. Hang in there!

My Slim in 6 arrived this afternoon! I sat down and read instructions, watched the beginning of the “Start Up” section, and decided I’d start tomorrow. After I dropped my daughter off at dance at 4:30, I came back, sat myself on the couch, and started looking things over, and decided that I’d just better get off my @$$ and start today.

WOW! I got through it, and this was just the “learn the moves” part of the DVD, but my knees are OLD, creaky and sore! This is going to be quite a journey!

I’m off to find some Glucosomine and have a glass of wine…

Elizabeth

newleaf123 02-17-2010 09:05 PM

Hi, Elizabeth, and welcome! I'm in PA, too, although west of you. It is so nice to start having it light in the early evening again! No, I don't normally have seasonal blues, I'm normally a pretty even-keeled person. And I do find myself righting myself as we speak. Daffodils... I was just thinking about them this morning, wondering how they are doing under all the snow we have!

weightlosswanted 02-17-2010 09:09 PM

Wow, it really seems like everyone is leaving me in the dust : ( I took a step outside my comfort zone tonight and walked to a local church for their ash wednesday service. I really miss my church, but any church is better than none : ) I don't know if any of you are familiar with the first place program - it's a church based program I did years ago that teaches healthy living as opposed to weight loss. They teach that all aspects have to be healthy, physical, spiritual and emotional. Since it's lent this church will be doing potlucks followed by a sermon on Thursday nights...it's not a one I would join permanently but it's a friendly little church and I can find spiritual nourishment no matter the denomination or worship style. So like Petra and her meditation class maybe getting back to what helps me find my inner peace will help with my weight loss as well!

speaking of which, here's a link to an article on practicing stillness: http://zenhabits.net/2010/02/powerful-stillness/

Bellefonte 02-17-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newleaf123 (Post 3158062)
Daffodils... I was just thinking about them this morning, wondering how they are doing under all the snow we have!

oooh...I am just waiting for the daffs! We are still deep in snow, too, but now I am curious to see if the snowdrops and hellebores are starting to emerge!

I'm glad you don't tend to get dragged down by the seasons, but hopefully whatever grey cloud will soon lift!

On a disappointing note, I was updating my calories this evening, and was just disgusted to find out how many calories salmon has. I had brought a big fillet and baked it for dinner, and ate 2/3rds of it (then checked...it was a pound...oops!) I thought I was eating well. Who knew??

lambchop 02-18-2010 01:37 AM

me again - did not get around to personals...so sorry - will get to that tomorrow...I did spend 3 hours on the treadmill tonight though - did a slow and steady 10 miles...

just wanted to check in with that...was out all day, then running all night

lambchop 02-18-2010 01:39 AM

Bellefonte! I used to go up to Port Matilda just outside of State College years back...just saw that...

ok, i'm out for tonight...just sitting up, rehydrating - tummy off, but muscle aches gone

newleaf123 02-18-2010 07:40 AM

Bellefonte, sorry about the salmon shock... I think that a lot of us have found out the hard way that portion control can be just as important as healthy food choices... I couldn't believe the amount of calories in my hot cereal because of the quantity of chopped nuts, raisins, and honey I was adding. If you haven't yet, investing in a food scale (approx $30) is a great thing since it helps you to learn about these pitfalls. I went for a period of about a month using it all the time until I got better accustomed to portions. Even now, I still pull it out every once in a while when I'm not sure or if I'm making a new recipe.

ICUWishing glad to see you experimenting with the teas! Did you try the ginger? I have to be honest, I have a lime ginger tea that I thought would be awesome, but instead it tasted like warm soap! But then I let it cool and when I had another sip before chucking it, I found it was actually good -- and now it is my de facto ICED tea! So, if you find you don't like it hot, try it cold...

WeightLossWanted good for you for reaching out. Sometimes it's amazing what stepping out of our comfort zones can accomplish!

LambChop I hope you're all rehydrated and got a good night's rest! Wow, 10 miles, I haven't done that since college...

CruiseCAT if I get a spare moment I want to check out your realtor's page; how fun!! No plans to retire out of country, but it's always fun to dream...

Marie I hope you are feeling well today!

Petra, AZManatee, Kitteh, Wizzie, everyone else, Good morning!

Me, nothing new here, but this morning I woke up feeling good. How could I tell the difference? My health problems, for the first time since Friday, actually weren't the first thought that popped into mind upon waking, and the thing that popped in (say, about 3rd thing) was wonder over the fact that they weren't the first thing on my mind, not even the problems themselves. So, I take that as a good sign... My weight continues to drop by small increments; looking forward to holding onto that for tomorrow when I officially record it (although I've been updating my ticker all week).

KittehMomma 02-18-2010 07:40 AM

Congrats to all the losers:D Looking forward to being big loser myself.

Not doing so well at losing at the moment, but I'm exploring my feelings about eating.

Marie--I think you asked where in the PNW I am? I'm just outside the Jet City. With our unseasonably warm winter, my daffodils have started to bloom--in February! My crocus are still in their prime. I just hope we don't get a freeze that kills off my daffs.

Ate well during the day, yesterday. Pigged out at dinner. Regretted it. Want to do better. WILL do better.

PeanutsMom704 02-18-2010 07:56 AM

Good morning All!!

Sorry I'm not getting my act together to do personals, but I'm reading and rooting for everyone!

Onmyway 02-18-2010 08:26 AM

Good morning drive by post. Hope everyone has a great day!

Every day is one day closer to spring! (Can you tell I'm done with winter!)

weightlosswanted 02-18-2010 09:14 AM

woo-hoo, they're predicting 68 degrees on monday, could charleston's normal winter weather be returning?! off to have lunch with a friend, should be interesting as the airforce base is giving away free food so people can sample the new menu items from the golf course restaurant etc. (I will be good, if not I won't eat again for the rest of the day!)

LC: 10 miles?! you are my hero!

Marie and Cruise: you have me dreaming of doing something exotic for a vacation someday : )

New Leaf: I'm so glad you woke up in a better frame of mind! hope those health issues resolve for you.

It's a beautiful, sunny, chilly day, but I plan on getting outside before the rain comes back. Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Kathi

lambchop 02-18-2010 09:24 AM

First off, I want to apologize I haven't had time for personals for a little bit. I'm making it a priority right now!

My legs feel fine this morning, but stomach was shaky. Just needed to rehydrate - drinking a bunch, and feel much better now.

I also went shopping yesterday and am down 1 size officially. When I bought clothes that fit right, it sort of freaked me out...i was standing there in the mirror realizing my body looks smaller, more narrow. It was a good freak-out, but odd...just looking in the mirror seeing my shoulders, my hips, etc....i was like, a waist...anyway, was a nice experience but also felt weird, out of body.

Told my doctor for the next 2-3 weeks up to the 1/2 marathon - adding more calories...my body just needs it right now...we're both okay with that. Just making sure to choose healthy calories over using it as an excuse. Ex: my last night's run showed me burning 2300 calories in my running program based on my size, speed and distance.

---

Marie- I am so happy to hear you're up and around. I LOVED the picture you posted. I know I all ready said that, but not only was it a beautiful picture, i got to see that you are okay with my own eyes, and enjoying moving about again...thanks for sharing it. Just went back to see it again this morning - really happy for you. My 1/2 marathon is March 7 or 8th...

Heidi- i'm so sorry that your results were incorrect. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that you find comfort. ((Hugs))

Petra - I hope tomorrow goes quickly for you since you'll have added tasks, etc...passed LVH yesterday and thought of you. Was over at LV Mall to meet some friends for lunch. Don't settle...i understand the fear of being alone, but what about maybe a singles vacation to meet other singles, or internet dating (met my husband online - 10 years ago!!!) While I understand your isolation thing - i think an unhealthy one-sided relationship may weigh down your spirit

Cindy- beautiful pics from your hike - you've got your supplies now, when does teh work start?

Annie- will keep Tootsie in my thoughts...my dogs are like kids to me, so I understand the feelings that go along with these things. Okay, was just reading she was cleared for surgery - she's adorable by the way -also great job getting up early to do your WATP - and congrats on the loss!

Wizzie - welcome, and congrats on your 2 pound loss

Becky- good job on getting rid of your larger sizes, and congrats on your weight...I'm doing the same - eat/run -- like your eat/swim...needed to add more calories, but being careful about making sure they are healthy calories - I won't forget you :) I'll call out to you if you haven't checked in for awhile

OnMyWay- yeah for cute purses...I have a purse fetish! Oooh..US Virgin Islands...NICE!!! That will be awesome.

Lori Ann - good luck with your shred. I hear so many people doing that right now - congrats on hitting 2 goals...and doesn't UNDER 100 sound great???? I remember feeling incredible to say UNDER 100 pounds also

Bellefonte- welcome to our group! Glad to have you here with us

Peep- sorry you fell and got hurt. Hopefully, you'll make a quick recovery. Looks like your feeling better, but don't overdo anything too quickly - yeah on a productive day and staying strong on the food front...fun on the fabric

Tigga- congratulations on your 6 pound loss...great job!

Kitteh- what are your plans this week for exercise...maybe jotting them down will help with accountability

Peanut- i hate fluctuations in weight...so frustrating, but a natural part of life! Glad you're heading in the right direction - let's stay motivated

Kathi- real weekends!!!! yipee....ooh, i loved working 11-8's...did that for awhile - loved i could sleep in and still had part of my night. That was my fave schedule i've ever worked. (I did comcast years ago) - the speak of stillness/zen - there's a book i adore called - zen miracles: finding peace in an insane world - by brenda shoshanna...one of my favorites

Wizzie 02-18-2010 09:48 AM

Wow amazing what can go on in a day. I'm not sure I can remember everything that happened with everyone :D

Annie - How's Tootsie doing?

BoPeep - Ouch! Be careful.

Petra - Where in Southern MS are you? I'm originally from Jackson even though I live in NC now.

Lori Ann - Great Job! All you ladies are so inspiring.

New Leaf - I'm ready for daffodils too!

I know I didn't get everyone, please forgive the newbie.