Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Hey everyone. Only 10 more hours of call! YEAH!!!!

Annie-I'm a physician but I can't stand drug reps. They are not welcome on my floor in the hospital. I have an unsavory name for them which I won't repeat here so we don't have a problem with "drug lunches" at work. I take my lunch to work everyday. Solves that problem.

Swtgila-yes, we will have to get together some time. And now that we know Heidi has family in Foley, maybe the three of us can get together for some shopping when she comes down to visit family

Lamb-Good job on only getting a diet coke at McDonald's. I also have no doubt you will get back to running in no time. Funny, when I read your posts now, I can imagine you talking.

Marie-I'm with you on the coffee shops being my downfall. We have one near my house that I used to go to almost everyday. I haven't been there in months. I'm good with making my sugar free concotions at home.

Heidi-I hadn't noticed the candy hearts. Everything is all decked out for Mardi Gras here. We skip all the holidays in between

I tried out cross country skiing on my Wii tonight and it was a work out! OMG! I think my heart was still pounding 15 minutes later. I think I need to try it in race mode which might be more fun. I also want to try some of the other sports. One game I got has all kinds of winter sports-downhill skiing, speed skating, luge, cross country skiing, ski jumping, etc. The other is strictly snowboarding ala shaun white. I had to get a balance board for that and it looks like there is a little work in setting up the balance board so that will be a bit of a project but it looks like fun.

The funeral is on Friday. I'm going to try to go to that.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 287/228/160

Height: 5'6"

I think I need to give up on this post. I have tried three times and hit some key and the posts disappear. Who knows, it may show up three times. Welcome to all the new people.

djo: I can honestly say, I know where you are coming from. Been there, done that, gained the weight back. You have found a lot of wonderful ladies to help you on your journey.

chubster: I will look for that thread and post the loss.

Petra: Sorry about the co-worker. You are right, we never know when our name will be called. I also, was one who thought your name was Petra. I never heard of the group but yesterday had a student register and her mother's name is Petra. lol

lambchop: yeah, the horemones are horrible!! Hot flashes, mood swings, eating everything, etc... Need to get in and see my PA, this has been going on since September. The nurse at my school laughed at me today, she is wondering how much longer I am going to wait before seeing PA.

I wish everyone a wonderful Thursday. I am off to a mexican restaurant to help celebrate my friends birthday. I did myself a favor, I ate at home so I wouldn't be tempted to over eat and I will only have one drink.
Tuning In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #63  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Marie, that's quite a library!!! Do you have 2 or 3 favorites? I had mentioned Water for Elephants and Memoirs of a Geisha earlier, oh and loved Life of Pi...not sure if reading them would have been teh same, but I love a good narrarator..VERY important to me!

Thanks Kim - I appreciate the kind words.

Heidi- LOL, if i was at the grocery store, chocolate would have called my name, but since i was at the drive thru, guess it was fat calling out to me! yeah, love big macs...mmmm. Diet Coke is my addiction though, and until I give it up again, i'm allowed to have it - 90% of my day is cyrstal light though...I go through SO much of that stuff! I'll have ot take pic of my cabinet...it's overrun with it,LOL

OnMyWay
- 3 cheers for you, good choices and taking half home - GREAT JOB!!!! Never? you've never had a big mac? WOW. I just assumed everyone has...

Gila - congrats on getting those 10,000 steps in!! Good job and keep it up!

Petra - laughing about hearing me talking...that could be a bad thing, I'm animated and lively! LOL -- the Wii sounds like such fun. The funny thing is my son has one in his room...I may need to try out a game or two. When we first got it - a year or so ago, I think I played bowling and maybe golf on it, was fun, but haven't bothered since. Let us know which games you like the most...and if it's because you think they are fun, or because you're good at them! ha

Tuning In- how much longer ARE YOU going to wait? I read a neat book called, What your doctor won't tell you about perimenopause, talks about progesterine and estrogen and stuff...anyway, hope you get some relief soon!

--
I'm done feeling sorry for myself today. SO it's a crappy week, it will pass...I've got so much good in my life. I've also realized - I'm a different person with different goals and dreams than I was in the past...and I will accomplish what I want to - because my mind is in the right place.

There's a famous saying - if you believe you can, you are right - if you believe you can't - you are right. -- or something like that...and i believe i can, so i will.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #64  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

OnMyWay – the concerts are fun, aren’t they? My boys have their orchestra concert next week; they both play cello. Good job at the restaurant!

Swtgila - great job on getting all your steps in!

PeanutsMom – candy hearts?? Really?? You don’t know?? They don’t haunt you like the haunt me?? They are the Necco Conversation Hearts. Brachs makes them now, too, but theirs aren’t nearly as good. The Necco ones bring back childhood memories because Necco used to operate a manufacturing facility in Cambridge, MA, and when I was a kid, you could walk down Main St. and smell all the peppermint wafting in the air on certain days. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. But, sadly, no longer. The plant is closed, probably condominiums or something now!

Petra – that’s funny about skipping all the holidays that come before Mardi Gras! That’s what Christmas is like here, where Thanksgiving gets total short shrift. It was never like that in Massachusetts…

TuningIn
– I’m glad your post finally worked! How did things go at the Mexican restaurant last night? I find Mexican hard to stay on track with – all the nachos, beans, rice, etc.

Again, nothing exciting going on here. I’m about to do some work, then exercise. Same old, same old is working for me. I’ve lost 2 pounds since Friday, I just need to hold onto it until tomorrow morning when I change my ticker. But I’m still sticking with just trying to lose 1 pound a week, which really helps with my mental outlook. It gives me permission to not have to stress and obsess, which is a good thing.

Last edited by newleaf123; 01-14-2010 at 09:27 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #65  
Heidi

LambChop great outlook. You know you will do this... I know you will, too!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #66  
Deb

my cabinet over run with crystal light! LOL
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #67  
Deb

Heidi - good job with those 2 pounds..it will stick!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #68  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Good morning everyone! Welcome again to our newcomers!

LC: great job passing up on the big mac and emotional eating! my focus when I wasn't able to work out do to my herniated disc, was to at least maintain my current weight. as soon as I was able I started walking as much as possible, and doing some stretching exercises. I don't think you'll be out of commission for too long and you'll be able to pick up where you left off to get ready for that marathon. we'll be right here cheering you on!

Someone asked me about my precooking method for chicken a while back. For a large amount of boneless, skinless breasts this is the easier method I use:

saute chopped onions, garlic and green peppers to taste in a small amount of olive or smart blend oil until soft.
add chicken and brown both sides
add 1 cup of fat-free chicken stock and some poultry seasoning
(sometimes I throw in lemon juice and/or white wine to taste as well)
cook through
when cool divide the breasts and broth into storage containers for the freezer.

to use I will thaw a batch and heat, served over brown rice or whole grain pasta. if I want more of a gravy I add some flour whisked in cold water to thicken. and of course I add a veggie as well!

This gives me a bunch of quick-fix options for those nights I don't really feel like cooking. I've found you can precook a large batch of brown rice or a batch of whole grain pasta and store it in the fridge for up to a week as well. I think I read you can freeze the cooked rice but I haven't tried it. I'll post my favorite but more complicated method another time : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lamb-I am a believer that we create our own realities.

Well this is turning out to be a very emotional week. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but one of my co-workers has been pregnant. She and I are actually close. She is about 10 years younger than me and this is her first job out of residency. When I arrived her she sort of attached to me as a mentor. She had her baby this morning. Everyone is healthy. I'm going to go by and visit her today.

I'm also officially no longer on call. Yeah!

Tough watching all this coverage of Haiti on TV. I don't know if any of doctors in our area are planning to go but if so I will volunteer. Don't know if they will let me-particularly with someone now being out on maternity leave but its hard to watch and do nothing.

Well I better get ready for work. Talk to you all later.

Oh, about the Wii-the shooting thing was a total surprise. I never grew about around guns or even playing with guns so I had no idea I was going to like that so much but I have at least one shooting game that I could literally play for hours. I won't do things that I don't like-just being good at them isn't enough for me. In fact, if they are too easy, I get bored.

Last edited by petra65; 01-14-2010 at 09:40 AM.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #70  
kathi

Wow, we were all posting at the same time!

Newleaf: great job on the 2lbs!

LC: that is quite the collection!

My addiction is real coke, which I will not give up, but I am down to about 8 oz a day, where in the past I could put away 2 liters+ a day. I buy a single coke every morning, and every few days I throw out my half-full bottles. yesterday I noticed they were closer to 3/4 full. baby steps! other than that I stick to water and 1-2 cups of green tea w/ agave nectar. I don't do artificial sweeteners for a number of reasons.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #71  
kathi

Petra: you do have a full plate this week! Let us know if you do go to haiti. I wish I had some kind of skill to contribute. I've been meaning to ask you, with all your mention of alternative meat I hadn't heard anything about bison. Have you tried it yet? I like it in place of ground beef even though it's pricier. Unfortunatley I haven't been able to get to the organic stores since my car accident. On a positive note I should have a new car by the end of the month. On the "down" side I'll need to work harder on my exercise because I'll lose the walking I'm forced to do on a daily basis. Then again, it will be easier for me to stay after work or go in early to hit the gym : )

I hope everyone is having an awesome week!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 182/172/152

Height: 5'9"

Default Exercise!

Hello everyone. Just dropping in to share some info I came across this a.m. See below. Found it on a website and posted it on my challenge forum & thought you all might like to read it as well. I think/hope it helped to get me committed to exercise. I've got the eating in check (Yipee!) and now feel a strong stirring of commitment to exercise. I want those serotonin benefits so I'm going to set-aside time to do it - probably first thing in a.m. before kiddies get up and maybe again at night. Hope to catch up with everyone soon. Have a good day! Jeanette

Serotonin serves to elevate mood, increase feelings of satiety, and lift depression. We have all experienced a rise in serotonin at some point. It is that satisfied feeling we have after a long run, or a large plate of pasta. It is also that feeling of comfort we get from spending time with close friends, and/or family. Serotonin can become depleted with chronic stress or anxiety, starvation or a low carbohydrate diet, and inactivity, leaving you feeling depressed, irritable, moody, and exhausted. Conversely, serotonin is strongly elevated after a long run, or workout, even at moderate intensity levels.
Momto6inOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #73  
Heidi

LambChop, my first reaction was, "What on earth do you do with all that Crystal Light??!" until I remembered my tea collection LOL So I think I understand after all...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #74  
kathi

Thanks for the reminder Momto6! That's a great explanation. I was told years ago when dealing with a seriously depressed teen, as well as my own depression that exercise works as well or better than taking an anti-depressant. Which is why I try to keep at it even when I don't see any weight loss as a result. My lunch break walk around the parking lot or on the treadmill is a biggg help if I'm having a stressful day! The trainers at my gym like to remind me that even if I don't see it, I'm getting healthy on the inside : )

Oh my Newleaf! I thought I had a tea collection - I bow down to you!

Last edited by weightlosswanted; 01-14-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: additon
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #75  
Deb

LOL on the tea collection - as for the Crystal Light, I didn't realize I had so much until I was looking at my cabinet one day. They kept putting it on sale, and I kept buying it since i knew I'd drink it....LOL