Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #16  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Karen, good job on exercising rather than food browsing.

Cindy, I’ve seen losermom on maintainers. Have a great trip and enjoy the sunrise on the beach for me.

OK, maybe I’m odd but I like all the posting. I’m not overwhelmed but it does take more time – I’m thinking that means less time thinking about how to sabotage myself. I read the posts and I’m stronger. I’ve been on threads where the posting was once a week. That wasn’t helpful. I realize several chicks will drop off whether its due to NY Resolution gone bust or finding another thread. But I like the more the merrier concept. Plus if I was a new person on the thread and read overwhelmed over and over again by the regulars, I definitely wouldn’t feel welcome. That’s just my thoughts on the matter and you can shoot me down now.

WLW, I think if our diet gods were fair we’d all be able to enjoy an occasional cinnamon roll and mocha and not gain an ounce. Or that our metabolisms would follow the 3500 deficit = 1 pound loss. I know that isn’t true for me and I don’t have to eat an additional 3500 cals to gain. So we have to fight and walk in the cold.

Lamb, ‘twas a bummer football game but now I don’t have to figure out how to watch next weekend while I’m skiing. And I love skiing whereas I just like football as entertainment. I hope you feel better. Yeah on the scale moving – that has to help make the cold a little less horrible.

Petra, I hope Thursday come soon for you. You are not making my envious of the doctoring profession. OK, not that I ever was but heck, Grey’s Anatomy makes it pretty romantic…

Heidi, I can’t do challenges either. I know my body will lose when it is in the mood – no sooner. I do the same thing, day in and out. So challenges are depressing for me as well. I just chug along.

Marsha, I do love Colorado (but not your current temps). Great, wonderful skiing can be had there and as I love skiing, I’d always wanted to live there. When we moved west we overshot and ended up in Oregon.

Annie, I want you to win the kitty. Go chickie go. And anyone who uses an elliptical is my friend. I adore my elliptical. I definitely give my elliptical credit for getting me to goal sooner than I ever expected.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Marie-Re: elliptical......Any tips on getting the habit started? I admit I HATE exercising!! Fiance bought this one last year for my birthday (Feb.). I finally got ready to use it and was proud when I could do 10 minutes on the thing! of course I didn't stick with it. I have never had a trainer/belonged to a fitness center, so not sure if I am doing the elliptical correctly. I just hated it! I even have it set up where I can watch TV while exercising, but just seem to stare at the timer to see how much longer I have to go! Any tips appreciated.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #18  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

So.... as much fun as I had this weekend, the scale was not as fun this morning. I am down 1.5lbs, which I am happy with, but it isn't the 3lbs I showed on Friday. Funny how I don't get out for weeks, and then once I decide to concentrate on a healthy life I get asked out to dinner twice! I made ok choices, not anything that I am really ashamed of, but nothing that I want to brag about either. And, I didn't drink hardly any water so that never helps. But I did have a fabulous cherry shake Saturday that I really savored and enjoyed. I decided that if I was going to "cheat" I was going to truely enjoy it!! Newleaf... I am like you. I know that my weekends tend to be a little less structured and during the seasons when my kids are playing sports, a lot more difficult to be on plan. So if I can maintain the weekend and really stay on target during the week, I feel like I am successful. Mondays are always a good "start" day for me. Just like September is always the start of the new year!!!

Today is another cold day and although they said only a bit of snow... it has been at it all day. DH went and bought a snow blower yesterday so he'll have a fun toy to play with tonite when he gets home since I had already shoveled from that last snow. DS and I are both feeling under the weather today so I didn't do a workout. Hoping later to at least feel like a bit of pilates. Only exercise I did this week was walk to and from the ice arena where we went to watch University of Michigan play hockey. It was a great game and Uof M won I haven't been to a college event in quite a long time and it made me miss my college days. And my college figure!!!

Gotta run.... time for kids to start getting home from school and I haven't even planned out dinner. Have a great night everyone and welcome to the newbies. This will be a great adventure!!!

Belly/Kim - I'll answer to either (round home I am known as "wifey" which my friends and family think is hilarious!!)
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #19  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

ooopss.. for got to reply to Annie about exercise..

I am a lazy bones. As much as I know I will feel better after a workout, I would rather stay in bed or do just about anything else rather than do it. (I've even done dishes as an excuse not to workout and I hate doing dishes too!!) Anyway... I give my self insentives. After a certain number of work outs, I get a "prize" - no food prizes!! A soak in the tub, a book or cd I've been eyeing, a back rub from DH... but it has to be something that if I don't meet the goal I won't get the item. I have been wanting a new MP3 player for a long time, but because I haven't met a goal I made, I still don't have it. I really get aggrevated with myself when I have to use my old one that is really crappy and doesn't hold but a few songs. Also find a time of day that is logical and workable. If I don't exercise in the morning, I usually don't get it done. Other things get in the way and are made more important. Be realistic when starting. I know that when I start on my treadmill that 20 minutes will just about do me in. So I always plan to to 20 minutes for at least a week and then start adding on time from there. I also pick a special workout show to watch while I walking. Something I have DVRd or a movie that I will only watch if I am on the tread. (Boy I should do hold my self hostage alot!!)

Hopefully there is something there that will be helpful to you. Then there is the phrase I tell my self constantly....JUST DO IT!!
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Thanks for the ideas, Kim. You know, I do have a movie on DVD that I have only gotten halfway through. No one else wants to watch it (chick flick), so maybe when I finally get on the elliptical, I will allow myself to watch that movie for however long I can go. (Seriously....last year when I started out, I had to go in increments of minutes, that is how out of shape I am. I was proud of 10 minutes! ...And I didn't keep it up. So back to the drawing board!)
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #21  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome to more new friends! This is a great group!

I like to see all of the new activity on the board. It's good to get some fresh ideas and the enthusiasm of new members is refreshing. Hoping I can use it to my advantage to get out of my rut!

I was somewhat glad to be back to work after my 4 day weekend. Temps were warmer here today. We were happy to see 30 for the first time in a long time.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday. Think Thin!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 287/228/160

Height: 5'6"

It has been good to read everyones posts. Last week was bad. I started out being down one pound and ended going up three by the end of the week. Having a bad problem with hormones (not trying to put all the blame on them) and ate through a lot of stress that hit at the same time. Today was the first day back at work after a three week vacation. I work as a counseling secretary at a high school and this will be **** week. A lot of new students!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my job, just very busy. I did get my lunch walk in with my co-worker after school let out. I will count that as a victory.

chubster: I am up for the 5 pound challenge. I will get on that scale tomorrow morning and start from that weight.

I am learning all the ropes here and am not sure what all the initials mean, if anyone out there can help I would appreciate it. I also don't reply to all of you but I do read all posts and enjoy the encouragement and advice. Have a wonderful evening and great week everyone.

PS: Tuning In = Kendle (yes my first name)
Tuning In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #23  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Annie! I love the elliptical but am just getting started again...originally I started with 5 minutes, worked my way up to 10, then challenged myself to increase my speed and distance during those 10 minutes. I eventually built it up until I got to the point I was rocking out 40 minutes and 3-4 miles. (I'm thinking Marie can way outdo my best when it comes to time and distance though) Now I'm back to 10 minutes starting today. I can't push it due to some issues I have with my back but plan to get back where I was at some point. I watch tv at the gym, but would love to get an mp3 player to listen to music or books on tape. Might be my 1st reward if I ever see a significant loss.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #24  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Last week I started like a lion and ended like a lamb so I am trying for consistency this week. I started my Fit Day journal and had a huge "Aha" moment realizing that when I see what I eat, it is plenty. I think journaling my diet will be a huge help. Thanks, I think it was PeanutsMom/Marsha that suggested it on a different thread! Worked out today too, so I am feeling really positive right now...just hoping for consistency still.

Welcome Annie, you and I have similiar weight goals...we can do it!!

Marsha - agree with your saying it is a life-style change, rather than diet. I have never cared for that four letter word!

Heidi - two hershey kisses????? That is fabulous, chocolate and I have an understanding too. For me it is three, but your system seems to be working so for now...I will abstain and when I have a few pounds lost under my belt I will give it another go...with only two on the menu.

Petra - hang in there, sorry it's been so stressful.

Lamb Chop - thanks for the vote of confidence, I will keep trying to participate, it really does help. Take care of yourself and enjoy that Kindle.

WTW - I love green tea with agave too! Stay warm and keep walking. We don't get much cold weather here in my part of Arizona, I am a transplant from Wash DC, but now I get cold when it is only about 60 degrees (big sissy, I know)!

Karen - my 6:30 cut-off worked, it was hard though. I love tea too, so that helps. So awesome that you opted for the gym when the going got tough, that it what works so fab-fab-fabulous!

CAT - have a safe trip!

Maggie - nice to meet you!

Everyone else - Happy Monday night!
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #25  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Feeling dopey, just finished and realized I missed a slew of folks. Sorry, will try to keep up better! Can only use the "I am new here" card for a few more days/weeks maybe?
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

AZ and everyone else...I cannot possibly reply individually to everyone's posts because I do not have the short term memory to do it!! So I do as much as I can and I hope you understand.

Anyway, I think it was TuningIn and Peanuts who want to do the challenge...lets start another thread so we do not annoy everyone. I'll do it when I post this...

Petra/Mary...I saw a movie (documentary) this weekend, and the credits showed one of the producers as Petra Something, and I thought "wow...another Petra!!!!" And now I learn you are Mary!! Anyway, "In Search of Memory" is about the Nobel
winner in neuroscience Eric Kandel...right up your alley, and a very entertaining film.

Lamb (Deb??)...I have hiked the South Mountain Reservation here in Essex County, but not much else, cuz had had lots of years in a row of soccer/basketball/baseball every weekend, and I've been in graduate school for 6 years. BUT...when the nest is empty in 18 months, we plan to do lots of hiking, here in NJ and other states. I'm looking forward to it. The DH and I were just commenting the other day how we both need to be in better shape to do all the hiking we want!!!

Welcome Annie! I prefer to do my elliptical in 10 or 15 minute intervals in front of the tv, preferably The View, DVR'd. Otherwise for me...too boring. But as Marie said...fabulous for weight loss!!!

Good night all...have a great evening and be good to yourselves!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #27  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! Cannot believe it's Monday already, and I am SO far behind reading posts! Please forgive - I am having an abnormal week again, trying to dig my group out of a material release hole at work, and prodding DS10 toward private school. And it appears I have injured my neck (boisterous start to a breaststroke race Sunday morning) AGAIN ... meaning this week will be ice, gentle traction, and stretching. Sometimes, just occasionally, it sucks to get older.

DS10 toured the privated school and took a few cognitive tests today. Made two good buddies by lunch and found out how woefully behind in math he is. Bright spot - he tested incredibly high in word comprehension. We knew he was leaning on his great ears, but didn't know how much. Turns out he's really weak in visual detail (because he relies on good problem-solving and comprehension). I asked him what he thought of the place on a scale of 1 to 10, and he said "17"! Interesting - I learned that he would have flunked a traditional IQ test because of that detail issue. Thank gawd he's never taken one - can you imagine what would have happened?

It's crazy. Funny, dieting is the last thing on my mind these days, but I am finding it easier to just make the right choices. Maybe, just maybe ... I'm forming good habits? (crossing fingers!)
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #28  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Annie, I had been an exerciser for over 3 years before I climbed on one so I was in decent shape to start. And the one I tried was at a physical therapy center – commercial grade. When I decided to buy one, I researched it a lot. I learned a lot about the home grade and chose a really spendy one (twice as much as I had budgeted and way more than I could afford) that had excellent reviews because the stride was the longest in home grade and the rotation was smooth. So… I’m not sure how yours is and whether I’d like it. But to answer your question a bit more positively, at the PT center I heard a lady tell another that her daughter had lost 40 pounds using the elliptical for 25 minutes 5 times a week. Didn’t change anything else. OK, so the daughter was probably in her 20s, but that stuck with me. Since last March I’ve lost nearly 40 pounds. Of course, before and after, I was eating 1400 cals/day and was losing weight – just much slower. So maybe that is motivation for you???

Kim, I’m with you on if you’re going to splurge, enjoy every morsel. I won’t eat anything (homemade or bought) if I don’t like it. My cals are too precious. So when I go bigger, then I want divine taste.

Chubster, ellipticals boring??? Part of my love for them is the boing-ing like a kangaroo. Hop hop hop... It entertains me. And mine has a track to race around and different programs built in for variety. Plus I nearly always am listening to an audiobook as I’m obsessive about audiobooks.

ICU, boisterous start? Hugs to you but I LOL to the description. Take care of the neck. I hurt my neck every summer doing the crawl because I am now old. I bought a freestyle snorkel and no longer strain my neck to breathe. I bet it would work for the breaststroke as well. So how did your race go? And I’m glad your DS loved the school. It looks like it’s falling into place.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

Marie, your comment about the 40 pounds since March and the correlation with the elliptical is enough to give it another chance!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #30  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Good morning all! I'm psyched, did a mile on the treadmill on friday, and one on the elliptical yesterday, plus 3 mins on the arm bike during my lunch break. Did lots of extra stretching, and so far no pain! Just have to make sure I stretch out all those areas that tend to be overly tight from sitting all day : ) Today's my "friday" and I have the next four days off. Mini vacation, with nothing particular planned. I hope everyone is having an awesome week!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote