Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #61  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Happy New Year! I am new and just jumping right in! I spent the holidays pretty much eating anything and everything I wanted knowing full well it was only temporary as I am determined in the New Year to get back on track physically. I am clearly 40 pounds overweight and it has been fun getting fat (I guess) but that party is over. I do have a funny story to share, I was at Walmart with my two children getting out of the car and unbuckling my daughter from the back. I heard some lady shouting curse words and yelling "you need to !@#$ learn how to drive you fat *itch (sorry I don't curse but that is what she said)", I was surprised at all the yelling so I turned to see what was going on and quickly noted the lady was yelling at me. I honestly don't recall cutting her car off or anything that would label me a bad driver, but hey - I know it is entirely possible. I didn't mind her being mad, yelling, even cursing...you do what you need to do to vent sometimes, but what really hit home and hurt was being called fat. It shocked me and it made me sad and mad. It was then I first joined the forum here - October 2009. Well, two months later I am active and ready to move forward. I hope that lady who yelled at me has cooled off finally, life is way too short for all that nonsense! Happy New Year again to all, I am glad to be here!
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #62  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

shame some people hold so much hostility in them...bad experience, but if it puts you in a place to make change - then it is what it is

Glad you found the weekly thread
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #63  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Kim, good plan for getting back into the healthy routine. You can do this.

Losing, defeating self talks are diet killers, that’s for sure. I did like the humor of your dream.

Archy, the parking lot woman is right. I wouldn’t trade my 40’s for anything – except the speed that the weight falls off. To me, it’s a small price to pay because it will come off with determination and that trait has come easier with age.

Pres, KA is Kitchen Aid mixer – the most important appliance in my kitchen except maybe the stove. Also, when I started my journey, I had a scale that said 209 – then I bought a new one that was actually accurate with an additional 3 pounds. So my start was 212. Now that I think about it, I’d be at goal with that scale… Alas, still 3 pounds to go.

Cruise, your hikes sound so fun. And a trip to the beach sounds like heaven.

Kathi, I hope you make it to your “weekend” to get some good rest.

OMW, I think the cold lowers metabolism but perhaps Petra knows the real science. When I’m shivering, I try hard not to move and I “know” moving would warm me up.

Petra, I’ll find the recipe today and post it. I make it occasionally but it was my favorite for 25 years until I got my sourdough starter and became addicted to it. Natural bread/crust in the truest sense of the description. Flour, starter (which is flour and water), water, salt and a touch of sugar. If anyone is interested, King Arthur Flour on the internet is where I bought my starter and it was cheap – about $13 including shipping.

Newleaf, without at doubt, Heavenly was gorgeous. Snowcap mountains and a big beautiful blue lake are the right ingredients for that. I, too, am the queen of procrastination. I have work to do, but alas, here I am… Perhaps we should both get to it.

Belly, excellent job on ignoring the urge to lounge and getting on the treadmill. Feels great, doesn’t it???

Lamb, I’m glad you’re ok! And that you’ve lost another pound. I wish restaurants were a non-issue for me. I have to take my allergies into consideration before the food choices. Luckily non-allergens tend to be healthy for me.

Back at work and even have worked some. But the interruptions when I’m busy responding to 3FCs does get frustrating.

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 01-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #64  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

lambchop - sorry to hear about your spill! I hope the bruise doesn't slow you down, YOW that sounds painful!

AZ - It's amazing how little impulse control people have these days. I think it stems from the "me first" attitude that's imperiling civilization (my opinion, there!). People just seem to want to say the most hurtful thing they can, and since they can get their fannies sued for saying anything that relates to your sexual preference, race, or religion, they fall back on the single thing that's left - weight. It wouldn't have mattered if you weighed 115. Sorry you happened to run into another fine example of the Neanderthals among us. (No offense to Neanderthals, sigh ...)
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #65  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

AZ, wow - the utter garbage people will spout! And in front of your children. You are being so much more understanding than I would have. You should be proud. Her IQ must have been in the toilet as looking at your weight numbers, there is no way on earth you are fat. Know that and start on your journey in spite of her. And welcome about our train to health.

Newleaf, no offense to Neanderthals??? Way to funny!
And I can see you're wanting to work as much as I...

Last edited by Marie; 01-04-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Did I have an interesting day. I got a speeding ticket on my way to work. Then I found out someone got fired while I was away-no one wanted to talk about the details. We have new staff at the program I was working at today and even some reorganization of the department. The new staff I was expecting but I hadn't met them yet. Then went over to the hospital this afternoon only to have run into a bunch of frustration over the call schedule and to find out that my worst fear is actually true. My patients do not get the same kind of care when I'm not here that they get when I am here. I will do what I can to try to fix that problem but unfortunately it is bigger than me and I can't work all the time. Tough first day back.

Yes, cold does lower your metabolism. This is actually very interesting because you actually stand a much better chance of being successfully resuscitated if you die in a cold environment. There are some amazing stories about this.

Newleaf-I'm a big coffee fan but I have some loose oolong that I have been drinking recently. I like it with some agave nectar. I find it takes the bitterness out without being over sweet.

BTW, its even cold here in MS today. I don't think we got out of the 40's all day.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #67  
Healthier than yesterday

S/C/G: 323/ticker/170

Height: 6'1"

Hi all.
I feel pretty good about myself today even though I've had a massive headache. Either its caffience or sugar withdrawl.
I've gotten out and taken walks everyday which is waht I wanted to do differently this time around. Last time I tried to lose weight I just didnt work out or get any type of excercise. Walking feels great and my legs are losening up!

I'll have to do something else later in the week. North Texas is supposed to get really cold and I just don't have the right clothes to walk too long in the cold.
Lori Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #68  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Cruise - hope you have a nice trip!

Kathi - congrats on becoming a "grandmother". I look forward to that someday, especially the part where I can give them back to their parents when they get out of hand.

ICU - keep a spot for me in Maintainers, please. I plan to get there by the end of this year.

newleaf - sorry about your cold spell. We had one inside the office today when we all arrived back from holidays to find that the heat hadn't been working for awhile. Luckily, outside temps stayed above freezing over the holiday or we might have had a flood, as well. At lunch time I had to go home to get my winter boots to wear inside the office. Even though the heat was on full blast, that cold slab of concrete under the carpet was not warming up.

Belly Buster - wow, I'm impressed with your motivation to do Pilates at home. I can't seem to stay consistent with exercise at home, but I find it pretty easy to go to the gym. I guess we're all so different, aren't we?

lambchop - glad you're ok after your fall.

AZ - welcome!! It's amazing how rude some people can be.

Marie - I guess I'll have to start doing some of my own baking again and then I'll need a KA, too. Because of my gluten-free diet, I stopped baking due to missing all the wonderful things I used to be able to make. Maybe it's time to start with some of the modified recipes.

petra - that's a tough first day. Glad you made it through.

First day back on track. It's been a long time since I logged my food and I can see that I was eating waaaay too much. Today was a good day, though, and it felt good to get the year started off right. I had a great workout today, too.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 287/228/160

Height: 5'6"

Got up this morning, got on the scale and screamed. Not really a scream, more like a moan. The pants are feeling tight, now I really see why. I have started back at the gym (last week actually) but today was the first day for 2010. Motivation is high right now (especially after that scale) so I am really motivated with preparing foods and keeping fridge stocked with healthy snacks. I will take the advice to keep reading and posting. I have this week of vacatoin and back to work on Monday. I am actually looking forward to it because I do better on a schedule than I do when I am on vacation and do not have to get up and do anything. Does anyone else have that problem?

CruiseCat: sounds good about the hikes, so after you get back we can get in touch and schedule one.

lambchop: sorry to hear about the fall. Take care of yourself and don't overdue it or healing time can be slowed.

Have a good evening everyone.
Tuning In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Gracious, it's midnight and I'm just now checking in. Where'd the day go? I'll tell you where. I got sidetracked by a christmas tree somebody had tossed to the curb loaded with lights. I suckered a friend into trying to strip the lights. Two hours later we understood why everybody else had walked away from the tree - those lights were wrapped around every branch and then around the trunk and then around other lights. Someone went OCD all over that cedar! Somebody punked that tree! What a sideshow. We (okay, I) kept dropping the flashlight, and I was so bundled up against the cold I got stuck 3/4 of the way down and had to... well, it was bizarre and I hope I don't end up on YouTube. We were out there with double gloves and safety goggles and clipping shears, and the tree was still half full when we gave up at 11 pm. I got a whole lotta lights.

And accomplished very little else. Bad side: got up veeerrrry late, missed a call from BistroMd which pushes my shipment date back, didn't meet a major daily goal. Good side: joined two challenges last night (Jan Exercise and G2010), found a place to get a health screening, began my walking program today and beat my daily goal, kept my goal of checking in here daily and keeping my kitchen clean, hung out for an absurd two hours with BFF after dark in 30 degree weather laughing ourselves silly.

And I got a whole lotta lights.
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #71  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Losing80 - hey, any day that involves a lot of laughs is a good day in my book! I dearly love the satellite radio in my car cuz I can get comedy 24 hours a day.

petra - rough start to the year, sounds like! Juggling staff in a factory is one thing - it must be especially difficult in a health situation.

Lori Ann - Yep, headaches are a common sign of withdrawal, especially with caffeine. WATER, WATER, WATER. I'm still trying to break a coffee habit, and am finding that the caffeine in green tea is much less noxious. Doesn't make your heart bang and your hands shake, either - bonus! The good news is 3-5 days, it DOES get better. I swear!

TuningIn - oh yeah, give me structure and routine! (up to a point, that is!). I'm still uneasy with weekends. For me, boredom = food, and for some reason when I prowl from boredom, I do not crave celery sticks. :P

maggie - I'm not yet comfortable with calling myself a "maintainer." I definitely want to maintain the 25 pound loss I've got so far, but I still want to creep down the scale just a bit further. I like spending time over at their forum, though, because I'm getting insight into the process that I didn't have before.

Marie: I am REALLY flattered that you mixed me up with Newleaf! I was just trying to be extra "PC", which as I'm sure you know by now, is most definitely not my style! And yes, I was having raging trouble getting back into the work mindset. Today's a little better ... and I have an introductory interview with the private school this morning. Wish me luck!

Got back in the pool and was pleasantly surprised to find that a few weeks off didn't hurt all that much. I have a meet this Sunday and I'm keeping to the short events out of respect for my level of condition. I really need a new suit - the one I have now is a 10 and it's a bit like swimming in a parachute ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 135/130.6/120

Hi...I'm new to this thread but just wanted to say I'm happy to be part of your group!
spinmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Welcome spinmom. Looking forward to getting to know you.

ICU-if you ever figure out why it is we don't crave celery sticks, please let me know

I'm in a better frame of mind after a good night's sleep. I'm giving a lecture later this month with the only geriatrician we have here in town. I started working on it last night. The guy who runs the inpatient physician service here is making it mandatory for his docs. I have to try to keep the sarcasm out.

It is ridiculously cold here this morning. I may have to wear my winter coat this morning.

I've decided I've been spending way too much time in the 220's and its time to get out. That's a goal-out of the 220's by the end of the month.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #74  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Natalie – Some people are just flat out rude and mean. I had a neighbor call me a fat *itch on more than one occasion. We’re glad you’re here and ready to move forward.

LC – Sure hope you are doing OK today. I know the days following a fall can be even more painful.

Marie – We’ve been spending lots of time at Owl Canyon/Rainbow Basin; it’s close and the scenery is just awesome. The last couple time I’ve taken ALL the camera equipment and been playing more than hiking. Although the beach trip is for play I don’t think I’ll actually set foot ON the beach. DS Karl has his birthday on the 13th and DGS’s is on the 24th so it’s party time. My sister from NOVA will also be coming in for a couple days so it will be good to see her.

I’m with you and Heidi on the procrastination; yesterday I had a bunch of documents to scan and got sidetracked searching “parenting” info for Brooke. Noah has hit the terrible two’s and she is at her wits end. Being grandma I have to walk a fine line of offering advise and supportive.

Becky – You always have a way of bringing a smile to my face. We’ve missed you…. Stay away from FV and hang here on 3FC with us.

Petra – Sorry to hear about your patients. It is difficult when the rest of the department doesn’t maintain the same high standards. I’m one of those that apparently has unrealistic expectations when it comes to people doing their job.

So true about the amazing stories regarding the cold; hypothermic cardiac arrest is even used during surgeries. My father’s surgery was most likely the first successful use of this technique, on an adult, back in 1977 while repairing the aorta with a Dacron tube after a dissecting/ruptured aneurysm.

Lori Ann – Cleaning house is a great alternative to a regular workout when it’s cold. Hope the headache is better today.

Turning In - Looking forward to getting together. What gym are you using? I’ve thought about joining one for the friendship with other people looking to get/stay healthy.

Losing80 – LOL I can assure you that had I witnessed that you would most definitely be on YouTube.

Becky - good deal on getting back to the pool.

SpinMom - Welcome to one of the best groups on 3FC.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 01-05-2010 at 09:20 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #75  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

The scale keeps on doing it's thing...and each and every time it moves down - I get so excited. It shows me down another pound - total 31 pounds lost. The thing is - wrapping my head around the idea that something is working, and I'm on my way to a healthier body. I'm just tickled and happy that I continue to stay motivated and focused as well.

Marie- hope work goes fast for you this week - after all that time off, i'm having trouble staying focused on work on this end!

ICU - HAAAA, no offense to Neanderthals...ha, isn't that the truth - we're so afraid to say anything these days -- that we revert to whatever we can find at times...LOL - if you're talking Sirius radio -- I'm a channel 30 girl/accoustic rock - and YEAH for getting back in the pool

Petra- wow, lots of stress work, and how frustrating about the patient care Let's get out of the 220's together! I'm at 226 today...

Lori Ann - I go through those kinds of headaches too, hopefully it passes quickly for you - and warms up for your outdoor exercise. Don't discount moving around your house in place of it if you don't go outside.

Maggie- now that you're logging your food again, you'll regain that focus -- it's a fresh slate a new day

Tuning In - being prepared is half the battle, and a great lesson to learn - I also find a schedule is easier on me (food/exercise)

Losing80- laughing yourself silly- those are teh best kinds of days in my book...good job on the walking, and joining challenges to stay motivated

Spin Mom- welcome! I saw on your other thread you're quite active...get those portions in check and you'll be dropping that 15 pounds in no time

CAT- terrible two's...LOL, no fun! I was way too distracted yesterday too...hard to get back on track.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote