Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #31  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Boss presented me with a beautiful box of chocolate-covered sourdough pretzels as a Christmas gift yesterday. I'm sure he doesn't know that's my #1, all-time trigger food (crunchy, chocolate, salty)! I promised myself that I wouldn't get into them until I got home and had dinner, which I did ... we tried them out (ok, I ate 3 for 180 cals) and declared them incredible. And oddly enough, I put them away and didn't even think about them all night. This morning, I bagged a couple each for spouse and DS, and didn't snag one for myself. I don't even WANT one. I don't regret the experience of eating 3, but I did it and now it's done. This is very, very strange. I imagine that it might be a "normal" food thought?

We have an appt with the director of the private school we're considering for DS10 on 1/5. She and I had a nice chat and I'm pretty excited. Some of you might know about W. Edwards Deming and the 14 Points - this is a Deming school (he actually commissioned it in the 80's), so it's not accredited because they don't/won't conform to state/national testing requirements. Talk about putting your money literally where your beliefs are! I'm working on a big list of questions, and really looking forward to meeting the staff and students in January.

lambchop - 4 miles already ... your dedication and commitment is inspiring! The #1 thing I want to work on next year is just moving more - and finding a way to enjoy it - getting functionally fit with strength and flexibility.

marie - there's nothing better than an ergonomically-sound workstation! People laugh when they see my monitor sitting on its riser on top of a solar-cell tray (another 4") so that it's eye-level. I've learned to be picky and demanding about this since I've had so many issues with my neck and shoulders. Congrats on 3 days of victory over chocolate ... you can do it! You ARE doing it!

CAT - ditto what Marie and Maggie are saying about the cold weather gear. I like a layer of silk under a layer of wool under a layer of down under a layer of leather. There's a reason the animals wear that stuff - it works. I forget who said that vegans don't make it too far in Alaska, . Also wondering ... biopsy results back?

newleaf - Fierce quads! Ugh - just take time to stretch 'em after you build them up. Make sure to balance the front/back leg strength or you can cause yourself some nasty lower back pain. Given that you've done the monster hiking already ... I'm sure you will be well-prepared! (jealous!)

petra - sounds crazy down there! Cold/rain/on call/trying to get ready for trip - whew!

OMW - so glad to hear the stitch was easily fixed! And that you made a really productive day out of it. Must feel great to have that whole thing beind you!

Glad you all enjoyed the 1913 menu! I've decided to do the beet salad, the vegetarian entree (and I'm not even a vegetarian - I just am totally intrigued by the flavor combination), and yes, I'm having a Forbidden Apple. I'd expect there will be wine involved too, but I'm learning to pace myself and I know how to count it. Best part - I get to wear a dress that I haven't worn for kid you not, 9 years!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #32  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

ICUWishing - congratulations on the NEW (old!) dress... That's a great feeling... You've worked so hard; I'm happy for you! Good job on the chocolate covered pretzels, too... I love those things, also. And best of luck on the 5th; I hope the school turns out to be everything you and your son hope for.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #33  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I have lots of running around to do today (including my doctor's appt) but wanted to let you all know that I stopped by the office yesterday to get a copy of my lab report so that I could do my research and prepare questions BEFORE meeting with the doctor today. GOOD NEWS..... everything was negative. Will still need minor surgery but the cancer scare is over.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #34  
Heidi

CruiseCAT - what great news! I'm really happy to hear that... What a relief!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #35  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lamb, great job on finishing the run. Sometimes the mantra to reach for what you want is all it takes to keep on track. Excellent work on not quitting.

Petra, I hope this time of on call is way more pleasant than the last one.

Newleaf, celebrate those five pounds!!! The ups and downs will probably always be part of our life. The goal is to always correct any oops and get back down. You did that and you should be kickin’ up your heels.

Yeah ICU!!! You beat a trigger food! I don’t know if I’d be that strong. They sound awesome. And I work with our state’s assessments for our district and they are ridiculous. Teaching to a test is so wrong in so many ways. To me, not conforming is a big PLUS! Enjoy wearing that dress. What a wonderful NSV.

Cruise, you cheater. Reading the lab results. THAT IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #36  
Recovering Pantry Pest

CAT - Yay! Glad the major concern is gone - I hope that you can get in and get the rest of it taken care of in a more efficient manner than the biopsy was done!

Marie - thank you for the reassurance that "nonaccredited" isn't necessarily a bad thing. The rebel in me thinks it would be preferable - and this teaching to the test crap is especially bad here in MI. I swear, they're proud to be 8 from the bottom on the test scores, the way we allocate funding.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #37  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

ICU, I think being non-accredited is a big plus. Just don't let my boss know...

Last night DH and I sold our sectional and put up the Christmas tree. I put a couple pictures on my blog and thought I'd put a link here if you want to see A Husky Christmas.
http://apps.mariesdogs.com/blog/

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 12-17-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #38  
Heidi

Marie - I love the pictures!! Your dogs are just beautiful, and so is your tree!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #39  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Petra, what part of NJ will you be in?

NewLeaf - congrats on the 5 pounds this month - you're doing great. One pound at a time is a great way to look at it. That's what I do too...and it's less overwhelming.

ICU - yikes on the trigger food...but you know what - you put them away! Glad you could enjoy it, and not overdo it

CAT - GREAT TO HEAR!!!! Negative news is good news

Marie - thanks, yeah - been preaching mantras when i'm hurting or don't "wanna" anymore - the pics are great and while the tree is pretty, it's seeing all the dogs that makes me smile the most

--
about the running, i'm following a program in a book, "Marathoning for Mortals"...2 days of shorter runs (builds speed), and 1 day of a longer run (builds endurance) -- to slowly work up to my 1/2 marathon - and 2 x-training days...while i'd love to say..ooh, i love to exercise, it's more like this...THIS SUCKS, WHEN will i LOVE doing this? LOL, but i do it anyway...thx for the encouragement everyone
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Cat-Congrats on your good news. I know what a huge relief that is.

Marie-the picture is awesome. Your dogs look so peaceful. I'm sure its not like that all the time in your house.

Lamb-my sister lives in Haddonfield but I'll be renting a car and plan to visit Bethelehem while I'm there. I was reading on the challenge thread-my family used to vacation in Stone Harbor every summer when I was growing up. My sister (same one I'm staying with) and her husband have a house in Brigantine now. I don't usually get up there in the summer to visit but they are there pretty much all summer. This is my foster sister for those of you who are confused. I don't really have contact with biological relatives.

ICU-I can't believe you still own a dress from 9 years ago

I finally had my pictures taken today. The lady who took them hasn't emailed them to me yet. She wanted to practice some close up face shots so she took some interesting ones. I may post a couple if they turned out well.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #41  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening! Working my way to the end of the week. As always, really looking forward to the weekend.

Bought myself an early Christmas present the other day. Got a great deal on a Kitchenaid stand mixer. I have wanted one for years and decided I deserved it. Here's my deal. Reg. price $299 on sale for $249, less 30%, $175 with $30 cash back and a $20 rebate. Final cost about 125.00. Used it tonight for the first time. Love it. Can't wait to bake cookies this weekend!

Cruise, great news! Hope Dr. was able to answer all your questions!

Petra, can't wait to see your pics, please share!

Marie, Loved your pics. Your dogs are so pretty!

ICU, you have to pick what works best for your son. If that means nonaccredited, than so be it. Also can't believe you have kept a dress for 9 years!

Newleaf, 5 pounds this month is terrific! Way to get back on track.

Lambchop, you should be proud of yourself!

presmaggie, another pound down! Way to go!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #42  
Recovering Pantry Pest

marie - agreed - I'll bet your household isn't "at rest" like that very often! Bet if Santa DID come down your chimney, the next picture would be Santa flat on his fanny like your DH is at the park! I also printed out your Blooming Onion recipe - I need to mess with some more healthy recipes while I have time between Xmas and the 4th.

lambchop - I tried to learn to run for 5 years and really, I hated every single step. However ... I do have to admit that running shapes the rear and trims the hips better than ANYTHING I've ever tried, including swimming. (caveat - I'm now doing some very high-intensity kicking work with fins, so I might need to revisit that statement later!) In my world, your registering and training for a half-marathon takes you quite a way out of the "mortal" category!

newleaf - 5 pounds in a month is AWESOME!

petra - you know we love pictures!

OMW - Nothing better than a new kitchen tool. And getting a fabulous deal makes it even better! Careful with them cookies!

I can top the 9-year old dress (which I will definitely have a picture up by Sunday - this will be my first time getting dressed up since I lost the majority of my weight). A floor-length black gown was hand-crafted for me back in 1993 or 1994. It literally was built to spec (more than 10 measurements), and all I paid for were the materials. It's a magnificent fine wool crepe and it fit like a freakin' leather glove. I was 26 or 27 back then, and was working an incredibly active job in an automotive assembly plant - a big one, where my office was at the far end from the area I had most meetings in. I AVERAGED 11 miles a day walking! Well, I have that dress hanging on the closet door at the moment, and I am eyeballing it ... and it doesn't look that far off. If I zip that one up ... I will probably have a meltdown.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #43  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Petra, i hope you have a great time visiting. Not sure when you'll be up, but there's a call for big snow this weekend...booo! What's in Bethlehem? That's about 30 mins from me

OnMyWay- Great deal! Love it when a plan comes together...

ICU - thanks, but i had another motive too...Florida, again...in March, LOL - okay, so i have to run the race, but still...ooh, the dress...ooh, getting close, and YES we want a picture!
--
Snow coming our way, yuck, but i have shopping to do this weekend! Looks like that gets pushed to tonight, just in case....have a smaller run on deck today - (my longer ones are on Wednesdays) - and otherwise, just a quiet day working.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #44  
Heidi

I have a dress that I wore in 1998, before I got pregnant with my first child. So, that makes it 11 years old. It is beautiful, a deep green velvet long dress that fit like a glove. Only problem is... when I wore it I was at the most fit and slim I ever had been in my life, when I belonged to 2 different gyms and worked out for a couple hours almost every day.

I truly doubt I will ever fit into that again, but who knows? I just can't bear to get rid of it.

CruiseCAT, it sounds like you're getting close!! Wow, that was quite some job, with an awful lot of walking!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #45  
Recovering Pantry Pest

newleaf - Exactly why mine was carefully resting in the back of the closet! Because there IS hope and because getting rid of it means that we gave up! You just never know ... Oddly enough, I think because most dresses are unusually kind to our lower halves, it's easier to get to spot where it might fit. I know my low hip and thigh measurement is still WAY off, but if I remember right, it *might* be below the fitted point on the dress. I guess the only way I'll know for sure is to try it ... gulp!