Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #31  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Default YEAH tomorrow is a holiday!!! Work week break...

Petra, you can have some of my snow other than when I’m skiing. Then, the more the merrier. I’m always cold so the south sounds inviting.

Penguin, I envision a big metal ball, heaving it around and dropping it on my head. I think you are braver than I.

Lamb, I spoke with DH about the running store and he’s going to get advice from the podiatrist today and probably do a running store in the near future. See you’re helping him! And congrats on another pound eradicated. You’re doing great!

OMW, the burn it ugly, itchy but it stopped draining. Every time I pick up my curling iron, I look in the mirror and say “Careful with the deadly weapon”. Beauty is painful. When you get your stitches out, I have my appt with the derm.

WLW, is day6 of 6 being on track? If yes, great job!

Giv, I think dragging DH around would burn tons of cals and would most definitely count as exercise!

Cruise, the onion – I loved/hated it. The way HG has you prepare it and bake it is perfect. The yucky part was the coating. I have Outback’s secret recipe for the fried version so DH and I are going to make it again with that recipe but prepare and bake it the HG way. I think it’ll be awesome then. We made a sauce that I liked but we doctor-ed it so much, I don’t have an idea what all was in it. BTW, you sister is just jealous that you get to volunteer for your job. When I retire, that’s what I want to do. The surgery is in Cancun on the 15th but we get there on the 7th. So the first week I have an all inclusive resort that I just paid for. It at Playa del Carmen. So if you know a good dive shop about 30 miles south of Cancun, then let me know. I’m so excited to learn again. I did the whole course years ago but the open dive was in Lake Superior and I REFUSED to get in a 35 degree lake. No, no, no.

Newleaf, I hear you on the INFJ (I’m INTP) and noodling about your life is a good thing. We do understand. You’re right on the easy to stop talking. We were getting there while he was deployed. “What did you do today?” “Nothing, you?” “Nothing” Without a doubt you all knew more about me during that time. Swing-shift brings that same non-sharing out in me. That’s why I hate it so much but being INTP, the introvert part means I like being alone. But my doggies having company all day will make them so happy.

My mini-goal of the day is not to munch all my cals away in the morning (now that DH is home and thinks meals in the evening are good). One more hour till lunch and I’m home free. I am such a morning muncher!

Cruise, excellent words of wisdom on relationships. Thanks for articulating it so well.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #32  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

First, Myers-Briggs. I haven't tested in a few years but I doubt I've changed. In the past I have been either an INTJ or an ENTJ, and I do find myself fluctuating between introvert and extrovert -- I can't decide, E?? I?? Don't know.

ICUwishing as for marriage. Wow, I can't remember what my vows were, and I wrote them! Hopefully I am still honoring them. That's got me thinking... my marriage isn't perfect, and I'm sure there is more work that I could do.

I just got done with 41 minutes on the elliptical, and the Harlan Coban book is the way to go. I'm about 1/3 through it and it is easy, entertaining reading. I save my more intellectual reading for the night, when I can focus my energy on it. Everything has it's place.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #33  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

will do a full catch up later, just popping in to say...HELLO - on my read out at the doctor's office?

GAINED 7 pounds of LEAN muscle
LOST 9 pounds of body fat and some water

woohoo
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #34  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I did Kettlebell Bootcamp DVD. Since I don't actually have a kbl yet, I had a variety of things lined up to 'stand-in'. After the WU the workout is divided into Sets. The first set starts with swings. I started with a 25lb barbell plate weight. It has cutouts around the edges for handles so I thought it would work. which it did to some extent, however...the thing is too wide and too heavy! Oooops! Here I've been so excited about kbls, even planning on buying one already and I'm not going to be able to finish my first workout . My back was killing me by the end of the first 16 reps, I was out of breath, and my HR was spiking. Okay I knew this was 'cardio weightwork' but they make it look easy! I dropped down to a 10lb db and did much better but the db doesn't work for all the exercises. I had better results with my 10lb ankle weight wrapped around itself leaving part of the strap as a kbl 'handle'. I had to hold the ends together because I could hear the velcro rip apart with each swing but it worked. About set 3 I finally got into the workout and began to enjoy myself {did I mention most of the swings are in the beginning sets???} . Set 7 is mostly pushups with one hand on the kbl {dbl in my case} and set 8 is corework, even though we did a few core exercises in the full workout. I was a little disappointed in the short stretch, but I'm happy with the workout and glad I tried it.

Lambchop, Great results! WTG!

ICU, I had to turn my AC on twice today. Once when I was cleaning house, and then down again when I did the workout.

Cat, When I was out of HS I wen to FL to visit my sis who lives there. The only thing I really wanted to do was visit SeaWorld, but she said that was too expensive. Sigh! I didn't even have the motive of wanting to see the penguins then. i didn't begin to collect them until collage.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Marie-you must be a federal employee if tomorrow is a holiday for you. Certainly isn't for me! Wish it was.

Penguin-I empathize with the migraines. I sometimes get them with TOM and they can be miserable. Glad you are doing better-in fact well enough to improvise a kettleball workout!

Lamb-great job on the weightloss. I'm impressed your doctor measures lean body mass.

Cruise-enjoy your trip. I haven't been to Disney since I was 7 years old. Now I don't live so far away, maybe I should consider it in the near future. I love amusements.

I haven't done Meiers-Briggs in so long I don't remember what I am except that I am definately an introvert. I never got married. Sometimes I regret that and sometimes I think it's the smartest decision I ever made. Ida is almost gone-lots of wind and rain but no serious damage that I've noticed.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #36  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

My dog Sheba was a border collie/lab mix I got from the shelter when she was a year old. She walked 40 lbs off me in 3 months! The 2 dachshounds I'm watching are grown, but both have some issues due to abuse before they were rescued. I'm just not sure it would be fair to get a dog, I'm gone so much. Sheba had to be crated and I really don't think it's fair to get one and keep a dog crated most of the day. My neighbors said they would help as far as letting the dog out when I'm gone, but there's no gaurantee we'll be neighbors indefinitely. I recently fell in love with a long-haired mini dachshound I saw and have looked online, but it seems the rescues are just as costly as getting one from a breeder...I wish I had asked that lady where she got her puppy!

Meanwhile I just got word that my son is leaving tonight to move to ohio with his girlfriend...I came home early because I was exhausted and had let my sugar drop too low. Now I'm depressed and haven't gotten of the couch, and I still need to eat something : ( I took a couple of glucose tabs before I left work so I'm ok, but need to heat up some leftovers or something. I'll try to get to personals on my "weekend"

Marie: day 6 of 6 is my workweek. bailed out and came home 2 hours early : )

Last edited by weightlosswanted; 11-10-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: ps
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #37  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

WLW, I take it the news was a big surprise!

Petra, I married later at almost 30. My two SIL's are somewhere in their 30's and maintain that they will never marry. I don't believe either of them has been on a date. One of my collage teachers married for the first time in her mid-sixties. LOL, we all got a kick out of that! I guess it took them a while to find the right person. I've always been very inroverted, I have a difficult time connecting with people face to face. The internet makes things so much easier: lets create groups of people who have things in common already! I've had the migranes off and on since I was 12; it seems I have a different trigger each time. When I started to exercise they slacked off in intensity and duration. Mostly they are a dull ache but occasionally I get a doosie to keep me guessing.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #38  
Real Me in here Somewhere

S/C/G: 194.8/155/132?

Height: 5'1"

Evening ladies!

penguin~ Thanks for the link...as I was watching it I was waiting for him to hit himself in the crotch LoL I'm such a klutz I'd prolly end up flinging it across the room and busting through the wall =op Sounds like you had a nice time at dinner Awesome that your working something out with weights you have till you get the real thing...by the time you get it, you'll be swinging that thing around like it's a feather

ICU~ I've done that Myers-Briggs test and I'm ENFP. This is busy time of year as well as stressful for lots of people. Relationships are hard and being married even harder. I am actually divorced from my husband. We were married about 12 years and lived apart for about 2 years. He is now back living in the house and has been for quite some time. We plan on getting married again in the near future. It took us that time apart to realize how we were treating one another and taking each other for granted. We've come a long way and have a really nice balance now He's the father of my 2 boys, he's my rock and he's my best friend. All that doesn't mean we don't have 'bumps' but we know what's important and keep the communication lines open. My thoughts are with you

Marie~
I was wondering about that HG onion too...I saw the recipe and have yet to try it. The coating calls for Fiber One cereal right? I have used that in the past to coat chicken and it was a pain to get it to the right consistency...let us know how the Outback version turns out. On being a morning muncher...I'm the total opposite...I want to snack at night while I watch tv or read...ugh some nights are rough getting through.

newleaf~
Nice job on the elliptical...I've been wanting one of those, maybe Santa will bring one Have you read the book "Are you there vodka, it's me Chelsea" by Chelsea Handler? The book is a riot and would make great reading for your exercise...unless you laugh to much and fall off lol

lambchop~
woOt! Way to go on your loss...Your doing awesome! I live about an hour west of Philadelphia...I'm in Montgomery County.

petra~ Glad to hear that Ida is on her way out.

wlw~
Oh wow, was that all of the sudden that your son is moving? Just hang in there and please make sure to eat. Yah getting a new dog is a big responsiblity, surely something not to do on a whim. I'd love to get another one...I actually wanted a Great Dane and DH looked at me like I had just asked if we could get a cow =op Guess that was a no lol

Nothing new to report here...been staying OP with no major issues. Oh wait...my boys have been arguing so much lately (but they can't be apart for more then 10 mins) it's driving me batty...anyone have any duct tape lying around??

Have a wonderful night and God bless you all!

Huggies,
Giv
GivTLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #39  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Giv, I'm looking to see if audible has the book you recommended. I love the book series Newleaf is reading. I love funny books.

We made the Outback version of the bloomin' onion and it was awesome. It's a little convoluted to make but it was worth it. 1/2 the onion and 1/2 the dipping sauce was 175 cals. I will post the recipe probably tomorrow as it will take time to type it out.

WLW, you are right that there is a cost in the rescues but an FYI - something I didn't realize - the adoption fee for Sasha was tax deductible. I do agree that crating full days isn't fair. My doggies have lots of fenced in area to play.

Petra, I work for a school district, so I'm a state employee. We don't get all holidays but Veterans Day is one of them. For that, I'm quite happy. I'm glad Ida didn't do much damage. Are you in the Gulfport/Biloxi area?

Lamb, great job on the doctor weighin. That's just awesome!

Newleaf, you're just rockin' with that elliptical. It is a fun machine isn't it??? I love high intensity workout without joint stress.

Penguin, great job on the improvising kettleball. You will be ahead when you get yours. Just be careful on the correct posture and stuff while improvising.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #40  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening! Went straight from work to DD's swim meet. Didn't get home til after 9. I am tired to do personals! Sorry. Add today to my list of days OP.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #41  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

OK... This is getting ridiculous. I usually get up 3:00-3:30am but since Mack got back from Mexico he has been running in the morning and getting up at 2:15-2:30. Well today is also a holiday for him and as he sleeps in I'm up and having my tea.... at 2:45am...... this just isn't right. Sure I went to bed at 7:30pm but still it isn't right (that may be even more wrong).

WLW - Yes, rescue does charge a considerable amount in adoption fees but as Marie said it is tax deductible and it's for a good cause. When I fostered the "Orphaned Eight" total expenses for the eight weeks was $2600+. One of the pups died so at $300 per adoption I was out money. And because I am not a 501c3 it wasn't tax deductible. Most rescues operate in the red; especially now.

Marie - Looking forward to the bloom recipe.

Well I need to pay bills before I leave tomorrow. The plan was to clean today but with Mack home not sure that will happen. Maybe I should send him over to play golf. At least I can get some cleaning done.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 11-11-2009 at 05:56 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #42  
Deb

ICU - i wanted to say again how much I like seeing your pic...You have a beautiful smile. I'm 42 also, and I can totally relate to being more in tune...I really am loving my 40's, and I've found I tolerate a lot less crap than I used to...hopefully you can work out your issues and changes within and around you.

Also what CAT mentioned - I'm always evolving and changing, and that means relationships change if they become stagnant, or who we are have drifted -- it's hard to accept these changes sometimes - but clinging doesn't help anyone. It's almost like desperation and neither of you are then allowed to spread your wings and reach your full potential.

Marie- glad DH is getting his gait and feet checked - hopefully it helps him. That's funny, about being a morning muncher...i'm the total opposite..in fact, I got up at 7:30, it will take me until about 10:30 to wake up and even want to eat anything...Man, your ticker is so awesome..I love looking at it and seeing how far you've come...

New Leaf - reading on the elliptical - that's talent!!!! Glad you found something that's workign out for you and you're enjoying your book

Penguin - your dedication to these DVDs and exercise is inspiring.

Petra - glad there was no serious damage...that's always good news!

WLW - ooh, low sugar, not good - can you keep a safe snack with you at work or in your purse? I'm sorry to hear about your son moving - but remember, you probably raised him to be strong and independence is a healthy thing, so think of it this way - congrats on doing a good job of raising your son to know he'll be okay

Giv- Montco! I used to go to the Montgomery mall off 309...for awhile I lived in Perkasie, and then in Doylestown before moving here. I grew up in Levittown...and LBI and Wildwood were my playgrounds in the summer.

Cat- have a great trip, and up at oh my gosh, those kinds of hours...LOL, it's dreadful for me to wake up before 8am, but I go to bed at 11pm

---

Talking about marriage/work, etc...ya know, i struggled in my first marriage - I was so unhappy, but i wanted it to work, becuase it was supposed to...when i got divorced, I felt like a caged bird free again -- because i finally admitted we truly weren't the best match. I've been with my second husband - together for 9 1/2 years now..it's not work...it's a pleasure and wonderful...it's NOT a struggle, it just feels right, because we mesh...i now understand that marriage doesn't have to be a struggle - when two people are matched well, it's incredible. The difference, choosing a partner at 20, versus choosing a partner at 35. I knew what i wanted and needed....I was more accurate as an older adult.

Man my quads were sore yesterday, but they are back to themselves today -- yeah!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

This is a busy thread-hard to keep up with everybody. Yes, I live on the MS Gulf Coast now. I actually live in a town called Ocean Springs which is just east of Biloxi. However, I grew up in the DE, PA, NJ area so I relate to that whole conversation. Before I moved here 3 years ago, I lived in Bethlehem, PA for 6 years. I went to medical school in Hershey. My family is all still up there and I will be home for Christmas and staying with my sister in Haddonfield. Spent my summers at the Jersey shore growing up. Know it well. The Gulf of Mexico is beautiful but very different from the Atlantic Coast.

You are all right about the adoption stuff. I think my adoption fees for my Shepherd were $300 but it was tax deductible. I continue to have a relationship with the rescue which has been nice. They do operate in the red. Almost all the dogs they get in this part of the country are heartworm positive and require treatment which isn't cheap or quick. I have made several donations just to help out because I believe in what they are doing. Personally, I feel there are so many dogs out there who need good homes, you should always consider adoption first.

Giv-I had to laugh out loud about your comment about the Great Dane. They are great dogs but you need A LOT of space.

Cat-enjoy your trip. I've never been on a cruise. Maybe one of those things I need to put on my "to do" list.

Penguin-I watched The Biggest Loser last night. Firsts time I've watched that in ages. They had some kettleball exercises going on. The weight loss on that show is insane. They had someone who lost 100 lbs in 9 weeks! Now granted she started at over 400 but I have a hard time believing that is healthy no matter what anyone says. And the way they work them in the gym.......maybe great TV but again, not healthy!
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #44  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

CruiseCAT I don't think I could adapt to your schedule if I tried! But it works for you, so all is good... Although what happens when you travel and hang with your son's family? Does the timezone change make that work (ie, your 7:30 is their 9:30, which makes for a more typical bed time?)

LambChop I'm going to let you in on my reading secret. You must not have been with the group when I had my revelation. I take LARGE PRINT books out from the library, specifically for the purpose of reading them on the elliptical. That way, even with all the movement, it's easy to stay focused on the page. It has made all the difference in the world for me.

Hrmph. Nobody ever told me that my rescue adoption fee was tax deductible... Oh, well. I'm sure it's not the first deduction I've ever missed... Did I tell you guys about our little run in with rat poison last week? Our cat hauled a brick of rat poison up from who knows where in the basement, which caused a little bit of a song and dance around here... The good news is that he doesn't seem to have ingested any, and even if he did, the antidote (vitamin K) has been easy to administer. So, all is good.

Last edited by newleaf123; 11-11-2009 at 09:22 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #45  
Deb

Petra - i'm about 20-30 mins from Bethlehem...I'm off of Rt 78 near Clinton (NJ). (just giving you placement)

NL - great idea...want to hear something funny, i paid more for a large print version of a book on vacation, and still put on reading glasses - man, talk about no strain, it was AWESOME..ha, but i felt old!

-
I just charted my training schedule for running up until my 1/2 marathon..OY! I can do this, right? right? LOL