Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #46  
Diane

S/C/G: 206

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning all!!

Dancerindenver: I'm actually in Hollis right on the border of Massachusetts. Nice to know someone else is from around here!! I just finished reading the Oprah article and found it very interesting. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I like the "so far" mnemonic.

To everyone else, thank you for your encouragement!!! Hope you all have a great day!!
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #47  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, everyone.

Tsap - nice to see you back!! I'm glad the roadtrip worked out and your sister didn't spreadsheet you to death!

Jacque - my brother started spinning a couple years ago. He was a bike racer, and loved spinning. He lost a lot of weight from it, without changing anything else in his life. Side note is that he was thin to begin with so the spinning made him kind of gaunt. He actually had to start eating more if he wanted to keep spinning.

CruiseCAT, your itinerary was similar to what ours will be. Ours is Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay Nat'l Park, College Fjord, Anchorage. The RV trip sounds like it would be a lot of fun... We considered renting one to go up to Denali afterwards, but likely we will take the train instead.

The boys go back to school today. I refuse to spend the day doing housework to catch up on the mess we made... I was going to go shopping in a certain area of the city, until I heard there was a mid-day carjacking there yesterday. I figure I'll wait until the dust settles on that... ugh.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #48  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Happy Thursday!
Welcome back, Tsap - glad to have you with us again!
Marie - Hear ya on the winter. I think I'm part bear - I try to hibernate through it. This winter's going to be a little different, I expect.
Hotsplashes - I know of a sapphire mine in Montana ... but no diamonds. Lots to learn before I'm going to give out any advice!
penguin - not much ever happens according to the script, does it? Sneaking into the neighbor's "ex-house" was funny!
Jacque - cool with the spinning! Change is good!
Cruise - I can't imagine 103. Dry heat or not ... I mean, isn't that how beef jerky is made? I'd probably look like a piece of it after a week. The RV trip sounds very cool.
Hydra - the head game is a huge part of a successful battle. Once the head is convinced, the body does follow.
newleaf - That's why CCW permits passed in MI - people decided to stop being victims. Unfortunately, the desperation isn't getting any better.

Day had a good start - I was able to move my ticker for the first time since JULY 31. Whew. No waffling, no flickering between numbers. Now entering territory not seen since at least 2002 ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #49  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Jacque - my brother started spinning a couple years ago. He was a bike racer, and loved spinning. He lost a lot of weight from it, without changing anything else in his life. Side note is that he was thin to begin with so the spinning made him kind of gaunt. He actually had to start eating more if he wanted to keep spinning.
That is sort of what happened to my brother. He is in his early 50's and I think he is too thin as well...but he does lots of other stuff and to top it off...he's a vegan. I have heard there are people that ONLY do spinning and are in great shape...but I like so many other exercises/workouts...that it is only something I will do MAYBE once a week...
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #50  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good morning friends! Welcome to all of the new chicks! This is a great group. Hope you'll keep coming back to post with us!

Just a quick note before school. Lots of activity here on the board and not enough time to post to individuals! Sounds like everyone is doing well either sticking to plan or getting back on track.

Little by little we are back to the rat race of school and after school activities. Still trying to find the best time to get in my walks and exercise. I really wish I was an early riser but the thought of getting up before 6 just isn't for me.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #51  
Heidi

ICUWishing, congrats on the ticker move -- woo hoo!!!

OnMyWay, I'm with you. I just cannot rise early. I'm getting up at 7:00am now since I need to get the kids out the door and have been doing it for the last 3 days. It seems fine, but there is no way I'm moving it any earlier. Until my older son goes to middle school next fall, I guess, and needs to be out the door earlier himself. Back when I was getting my MBA, I had to beat traffic driving into the city and also get there early enough to get a free parking spot. I left the house at 5:30am. It was nuts!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

CruiseCAT: Wow! 103 is hot. We get that once or twice many summers, but (knock on wood) not this year yet. That story about the architect and his kitchen is helpful, thanks!

dancerindenver: eggplant and tomatoes! From the CSA box and the garden -- I'm a little bit overwhelmed.

patchworkpenguin: glad you survived your first post-surgery "walk". I get restless legs some, too, but hadn't thought to correlate with exercise -- that might be true for me, too.

Marie: Oh, thanks! Will I feel better in 5 minutes? is a great question to ask when I'm emotionally eating.
I got the season's first Honeycrisp and Gala apples at the Farmers Market last night!

Hotsplashes: LOL on the surprise of yellow squash instead of green. I have to keep an eye on the zucchini in the garden -- it seems like they go from tiny babies to giant whoppers over night sometimes.
Good luck with your battle against bureaucracy. That's quite a story -- hope it all works out!

weightlosswanted: a nutritional counselor sounds like a good help. I'm glad you found a web site that you liked for your food tracking.

TSap: I'm one of the new people. Welcome back! Sounds like a great summer!

Jacque: Glad you liked the spinning class!

ICUwishing: Yay for new territory on the scale!

I think my honeymoon period is already over. The scale is steady or slowly creeping up. It's about time for me to commit to a more structured approach.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Morning, all!
I'm having one of those days when I'm majorly kicking myself for not having started (and succeeded at) this weight loss process years ago. I feel like I lost so much time feeling bad about myself and eating to console myself about it. I know what's past is past but it just keeps spinning around in my head! Off to run to see if I can chase the demons away...

Last edited by dancerindenver; 08-27-2009 at 11:08 AM.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #54  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hotsplashes, I hope your friend is ok. That would be so scary! I hope that your paperwork gets done right and without all the people making excuses.

WLW, I had to laugh at our misunderstanding. I don’t spin out of control in January. I was spinning out of control with thought of winter. I tend to snowball. Fall = things dying (leaves). Bare trees = winter. Winter = January. I snowball out of control in all areas, cleaning, depressing thoughts (like yesterday’s seasonal one), etc. One area I tend not to snowball is food. Very odd for an overweight person but I’ve never snowballed with food. Anyway, I am planning a winter vacation to Cancun in February.

Hydra, is it just my old age memory or did you change your signature S/C/G??? 12 pounds is great.

Tanya, sounds like you had an eventful summer. Car trips are the worst for dieting. I can only stand the boredom by eating my way across the country.

Jacque, spinning looks like pure torture to me. I bow to your desire to go again. Eeks, torture, torture, torture.

Newleaf, I was so disappointed with our trip to Denali after doing a cruise. I didn’t realize that people couldn’t drive more than a few miles into the park. It’s their mission statement to leave the park as is so they have bus tours that drive partway to the great mountain. DH and I did that – it was horrendous. It was a big uncomfortable yellow school bus for 8 hours and they stopped about 50 miles from the mountain that wasn’t visible in the clouds. So I didn’t see the big mountain – the goal of the trip. I was told it was most visible in the late winter. Anyway, I’m looking out my office window and have a gorgeous view of Mt Shasta, a 14,000 foot mountain. And I can see it clearly. Why leave home was my thought after that trip. But the cruise was incredible, most beautiful sights imaginable.

ICU, excellent moving on the ticker. It sure feels good to change it, doesn’t it? Truly dry heat is nothing like Midwest humid heat. The only uncomfy part I find is that my nasal passages bake the moisture then it feels like my nose has toast in it.

OMW, I wasn’t an early riser until a 3FC friend told me it didn’t need to be fun. It took 6 weeks of prying myself out of bed and now (3 years later) I’ve become the early bird and gasp, I love it. Try setting a 6 week goal to do it and see if you can become a convert. It’s worth it. Truly I’m way less moody at work because of early morning exercise. It stabilizes me.

Joy, I envy the honeycrisp find. I looked at Safeway last night but I think a morning break to the better grocery is in order this morning. If you found honeycrisps they must be coming my way too.

Dancer, ok the vent at yourself is over. I understand the kicking yourself for letting the weight hang around too long but there’s nothing we can do about it. Try spinning the thoughts to “I am thrilled I’m not waiting any longer. I won’t spend my 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and beyond in this battle.” The past history demon is a great unmotivator so it must be eradicated.

I suppose I need to work. My file utilities finished running about 5 minutes ago…

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #55  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Good morning...

OnMyWay, Thanks for all your support and I agree, I am not an early riser, but I might have to try it.

NewLeaf- I like your exercise routine. I go to gym classes when I can, I need to be more vigilant, but I blew out my knee and now my elbow. Ain't 40s fun?

Marie, Great recipe for burger, thanks!

Dancer, I don't have any set plan, but today, I just sauteed some mushrooms in Pam and then made some egg whites and put that together with a little salsa. Lets hope I can be good all day. Planning on grilled chicken salads for dinner! OH.. I will read your article that you posted in a bit.

Cruise, I just had Rebath come out and just for the tub and surround, very simple, they wanted close to 6K. That won't happen! good luck with your bath!

Ok, back on track! I write down what I eat and am starting to use the WW point system, but I don't go to meetings! I also just am going to try to make better choices and get back to the gym!

Have a great day all!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #56  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

I got 40 mins of walking in, in this heat! If I didn't at least sweat off some weight then God is very unfair! And the possible new landlord was a no show on top of it : ( We got some news about my daughter's baby, he has hydrocephalus. Not a good thing, but an explanation and now they can figure out what to do for him. Showering then spending the rest of my day off with a friend. Hope everyone else is having a great day!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #57  
Heidi

WeightlossWanted - If it helps any, I know an 8-year-old boy that has hydrocephalus, and he is doing great. He plays on my son's baseball team, and in talking with his mother, he even just got cleared to play football if he wants (which he doesn't). The boy does well in school with no accommodations, and if his mother didn't tell you, you would never know that he had this problem. I know she is very vigilant, though, in making sure to meet with his teacher at the start of each year to make sure they understand the situation and what to do if he ever complains of headaches or nausea. Hopefully that gives you just a little bit of reassurance that hopefully everything will turn out alright...

Marie, bummer about Denali. Yeah, I have my concerns about the bus rides, etc. Need to research that some more...

DMC2009 be careful about that knee! Vigilance is key...

DancerInDenver look forward, not back. You have done so well -- DO NOT SABOTAGE YOURSELF! I hope your run was good.

GardenerJoy, good vigilance to notice the scale creep. You can do this... definitely set a plan...

I just got done mowing the front yard twice and the backyard once. That was a lot of work, so I'm going to go stretch (I threw my back out at the beginning of the summer from mowing), take a hot shower, and then think about lunch.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #58  

Good morning all!

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow 40+ and Fabulous Group! May you all have a fantastic day!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #59  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Just got a couple minutes before my hair appointment.... that's right I'm going to get it all cut off. WTH.... it's only hair and it will grow back IF I don't like it.

Heidi - Sounds like you are doing northbound. Where are you going out of? I loved College Fjord and Harvard Glacier. Be sure to get up early that morning (before the sun is up) to see the colors change. We were scheduled to be in front of Harvard at 6am but around 5am was the best, plus you get a good place on the rail.

Joy - This should make you feel even better.... that same employer of mine was also building a house. When I left Virginia back in 2002 it had been 10 yes TEN years since they broke ground. Last I heard (May) was the house is basically done but the wife now has no desire to move into the "lot" house that almost destroyed her marriage.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Just a quick stop by to say hellow and to say I AM BELOW 185!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

See everyone tomorrow!!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote