Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

ICUwishing and newleaf: wishing you luck on your wars against set points.

Marie: hope the teachers weren't too annoying. I love fall fruit, too. We sometimes get a local early apple that I'm anticipating any week now.

patchworkpenguin: Yay! A sink! I love red in a bathroom -- I hope you find the accessories you want

Hydra and Diane: Welcome! I'm new, too. Jump right in!

Diane: I'm really impressed that you lost 60 pounds before. I've never done that in my life, although my goal now is to lose that and a bit more. I'd suggest a lot of self-analysis. What worked before? How would that apply now? What stopped working? What can you do differently now? 3FC is one thing that I'm doing differently now -- if I get myself in the habit of posting every day then I can keep my focus on this project even when life intervenes. Also, I'm finding library books that support my healthy lifestyle really motivating and intend to keep reading them as another way to keep focus for the entire journey and beyond.

Hydra: You might like Judith Beck's books. A lot of what you're doing is the kind of thing she talks about. There's a Beck support thread at 3FC under General Diet Plans and Questions.

Okay, I really want to focus on my veggie eating today to see if I can get the scale moving down again.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #32  
Diane

S/C/G: 206

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you so much everyone for a VERY warm welcome. I look forward to some great chats w/all of you and wish you all continued success in our journey toward weight loss. I just had back surgery in June so it's been a slow process getting back to "normal". I've just started working out again last week and did too much so this week I'm taking it slower, working out every other day rather than every day. Trying to cut the calories, etc.. I was feeling pretty down on myself this morning and you guys helped me out big time! Thank you so much!!!!
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #33  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsplashes View Post
Cruisecat, I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Canon REbel for xmas. I love my current Cannon.. but it's not an SLR... I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLyyyyyyy want an SLR... Ohhh and underwater pics!! I WANT TO SEE!!
I sure hope we both get our Canon's soon. As for the underwater pics I have a few on WebShots now but will be posting more. I'll post here when they are up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
Good evening friends!

Why is it that the weeks drag on but the weekends fly by? Looks like everyone has been busy with projects. We had our main bath redone this spring and are starting our master bath this week. We have also been spending a lot of time at Lowes! My hubby is not handy when it comes to home improvement (He's great at landscaping and we have the best lawn in our neighborhood!). We hired the same guy that did our other bath to do this one. He'll gut the entire bath and rebuild the shower. Luckily we have 2 other baths we can use!

I have to agree about the weekends and I don't even work. I really have a difficult time when Mack returns to work on Monday especially when we have had a three day weekend together.

I have several people coming out over the next couple weeks to give us quotes on the bath. The more I think about it I really think it is in our best interest to have someone else do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
I hope Tucker mends. Blizzard was given a five year old prognosis at 10 months and she’s now 8.5 yo. I cannot imagine the difficulty losing Tucker will be. Much too young!
I agree that Tucker is much too young; even being the genetic mess that he is. He was dx. with HD when he was 9 months and we did do surgery on the right hip. His epilepsy we have had under control for a couple years and his allergies didn't give him a problem this summer because of the prednisone we put him on for arthritis. At this point we have increased the pred. but realize that both knees are in bad shape and although this provides relief it is not a cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post

CruiseCAT - I loved the photos. Especially the one of the bear nonchalantly crossing the street behind the guy walking his dog! What was the itinerary of stops for your trip?

We had been watching that bear across a swampy area and lost him so continued on our way to the trailhead and then there he was crossing right in front of us and heading to the stream right next to the trailhead. We watched him catch and eat his breakfast for about 20 minutes.

Our ports were: Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan

I am motivated to be back on the losing train. Woo hoo!

Count me in on getting back on the losing train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weightlosswanted View Post
I'm starting my week with a new "do". Chopped off all my hair, can't see it under my hat anyway : )
I am so ready to cut my hair. I was going to do it gradually but the last time it was colored really damaged it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque9999 View Post
Found ya!!! When I looked at my subscribed threads and saw that no one had posted since I posted on the old thread yesterday morning, I thought....hhhmmmmmm...must be a new a thread....and you are!!!
WTG Jacque!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Woo hoo -- down 2.2 lbs today. I guess that camping weight wasn't permanent -- phew!
WTG Heidi.... I'm happy report that the scales are moving in the right direction for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc2009 View Post
What is everyone doing to lose weight?
Counting calories (under 1400) and exercise. I log both using FitDay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
For all those that asked about the canning, the weekend's tally was two batches of salsa, one of pickled beets, and get this - Sunday, 26 QUARTS of peaches! Downside - fruit flies everywhere. I have cider vinegar traps on each end of the kitchen. Tomatoes are late this year due to the cool weather, so we figure on hitting those next week and Labor Day. Last year we processed four bushels of tomatoes, and it was enough to make it through early summer.

I could live with fruit flies with a 26 quart return.

Cruise - love the pics that you did get posted! They make me want to go back!
I'm ready to go back. My sister and her husband will be doing a three week RV trip next summer and have invited Mack and I. Not sure it will be doabe but we are thinking about it.

OMW - no recipe except for the acid balance. The man never measures anything, and never makes the same thing twice.

Sounds like my cooking. Mack is always asking me to fix something and I always have to respond "I'll try".

Scale has not moved since July 31. This is the setpoint I didn't like for the previous 8 years before I suddenly added the 17 pounds that came off pretty easy. Soooooo ... war has been declared.

Heidi and I are right there with you. WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
I have a sink!! Its wonderful, no more squirt bottle of Germx on the back of the toilet tank!
This is the #1 reason I want some else doing the work. Mack estimated two months if we did it and 4 days for a contractor. I always think about my old employer (an architect) that started a kitchen project and his wife still didn't have a working kitchen for three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsplashes View Post
Just a quick stop by... to say YYYAAAAAAAAYYYY For Penguin's sink!!lol

Hope everyone is having a great day! Today is the last day of nice weather for the rest of the week... Rain starts again tomorrow. So off to pick veggies now while I can!!

See everyone tomorrow while I am trapped inside with the rain!
No rain for us, lots of sun and a high of 103 today.

Welcome Hydra and Diane!!!
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Diane - welcome! I noticed you're in NH - I was born in Plymouth and we have a family place on Squam Lake - is that anywhere close to where you are?

Hydra - welcome! I hope you both find this forum as supportive and helpful as I have : )

http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazi...omag-beck-diet

I read the article on the above link about a week after I decided to do something about my weight and I found it super helpful for some reason - maybe it will strike a chord for you too...

gardenerjoy - You've got this! What veggies are on the menu today?
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #35  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Afternoon all! Wed and Thurs are my busy days but I have a few minites to catch up and relax! I plan a walk with Leslie {Sansone} this afternoon, my first since the surgery! I get 'restless legs' at night if I skip too many workouts and its been about two weeks now. I've been known to get up at night and do squats, that helps get the kinkc {or whatever} out.

Cat, Hubby did drag his feet on the bath but most if it was since he had never tiled before he was unsure, finally my dad stepped in and helped. This project has lasted two years exactly, we're still trying to go to the kitchen to brush our teeth!

Diane, Welcome! I lost a little more weight that you a few years back, and gained about half of it back, so we are in the same boat. I reached my goal and thought "Okay, things can go back to normal now." MISTAKE! I felt like a failure, also, I haven't any sage words of advice but we can work on this together! Hope your back is feeling better!

ICU, Sure sounds like you are keeping yourself busy!

Hydra, Welcome! I find joining small groups is the easiest way to get involved and aquainted. Glad you picked us.

OMW, I'm sure your project won't take as long as ours did! although we had a structual problem, one of the joists in the floor was rotted, we took the floor and shower down to the studs. This is our only bathroom, but luckily the house next to us was empty the week we didn't have a toilet. Hubby, I and the dog would all go next door in the middle of the night! What fun it seems like now! {okay, not really!}

Dancer, We think the shower curtain is either in the garage or accidentily got donated to Goodwill!

ETA: I did Leslie's 30-Min walk off her 5 Day Fit Walk Target complilation. This has got to be the most boring Leslie that I own; the music is inaudible, Leslie doesn't interact with her group, and the set "ain't that great either". Since I haven't done much this summer but recover, my hip flexors are screaming at me, and I wasn't able to do all the knee lifts, so I need to work on that!

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 08-26-2009 at 03:30 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #36  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Dancer - Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Patch - We have now decided to gut our bath (to the studs). My guess is we will let a professional handle this project. We did the other bath on our own but that was just replacing stuff and tiling the floor

I had to laugh about you using the house next door; did you have keys?
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseCAT View Post
I had to laugh about you using the house next door; did you have keys?
Yes, LOL! The couple that owned it inheirited her parent's house and had moved out, but since they owned the house they didn't want to sell, and eventually let their son, wife, and grandson move in, so we have neighbor's again. The owner's gave us keys and even lent us their tile saw.

Funny story, when we closed on our house we didn't get keys {the other realtor didn't bother to show up}! So the son who now lives next door helped us break into the house by drilling the lock, we planned to replace the locks anyway, but the whole thing was frustrating. Not like on TV.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #38  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

thanks for posting the article dancer, I love martha beck!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #39  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Joy, I hope all turns out all right on your brother’s health situation. The best technique I know of for not reverting to emotional eating is to ask myself “Will I feel better in five minutes?” The answer has always been No. I might feel better as I eat (30 seconds max for a quick emotional candy bar) but not 5 minutes down the road.

Newleaf, I bet your scale heard your determined typing of it moving and is quaking because it knows, as I do, that you will win and it will go down.

Penguin, enjoy your new bathroom. I bet you’re thrilled. Especially that you can see it clearly.

Dancer, I LOVE honeycrisp apples. The only saving grace of fall. Because fall means winter. Winter means January. January is long, dark and cold. See Marie spiral out of control.

OMW, I have fresh cut up pineapple and mango from Costco. They did a test in their headquarters – weighed and measured the fresh fruit then costed it out. It was cheaper to buy it already cut up. Cool – I love no work.
Welcome Hydra! Great start on your journey. 5.5 pounds is excellent!

Diane, words of encouragement – SURE!!! You can do it and you can successfully keep it off. You took the first step by joining the best thread on 3FC. Welcome aboard. Newleaf’s words are 100% true – you’re a success not a failure.

ICU, we planted a peach tree (and honeycrisp apples) a couple seasons ago. We had to fence them in from bambi. Well worth the fencing as they’re doing great. Someday I’ll have bountiful fruit from my mini orchard.

Cruise, I’m thinking we think alike on the doggie care. Make them comfy and happy. When that’s not possible and they’re existing for us, it’s not fair. I hope Tucker can keep going.

Off for a nice ride in my Jeep. I froze on the way in to work this morning (5 layers of jackets – good thing I lost weight or I’d never have been able to layer that many and zip them up). Now it is in the 80’s and a topless ride will be grand. Plus the work day is over and it’s time to go home!!!!
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 08-26-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Welcome Diane and Hydra!! You have already taken the hardest step!! The FIRST ONE!! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other along the path. And if you should wobble or falter, we'll be here to pick you up and keep you steady!

New Leaf... You always give such wisdom!! It's always a pleasure to see you posting!

ICU...Ohhh Licencing and Incorporating!! Yeee HAAwwww... Hay Now I can get your expert Gemologist Opion on Diamond Hunting at that Mining Park!! I wish I could remember where it is now!!lol

Weightloss... YOu are practically an Alumni now.. you've been here over a week!!lol

GardnerJoy... How did the veggie intake go today? I got so excited when I found Zucchini finally growing in my garden!!lol I was surprised to see that they are the yellow ones. I thought they would be the green kind!

Cruise... I would love to get some extra lenses for the Canon I have now.. but hard to find and not the same as if it was an SLR. I use Pixma by google to post my pics. How are you liking WebShots??

Dancing... Thank you for the article!!!

Penguin... How are the eyes??? That was funny... having to break into your own house!!

Marie.. the weather is getting to be that way here. Today it was raining and 55 when i took the geriatric doggies out.. by noon it was 80... now tonite it is going back down to 58.. But our winters are definitely not like yours. People think that because I live in Canada, I must have these horrible winters. I'm actually further south than you are!

Today was a rough day. It seems people are not doing their jobs and blaming everyone else for the mistakes. My funding for school is on the line now because a form didn't get sent in. One office says it was another office's job to send the form.. that office says it was another's.. the other office says they didn't know there was a form to be sent... So after trying to get that straightened out.. a friend stopped by and I had to rush them to the hospital because they suddenly lost the vision in their right eye.. so now they are sitting at the hospital getting a catscan and other tests... so I caved and had a big bowl of Icecream... now I feel like crap...

So back on the band wagon... polishing up my armor to go on my crusade against the government idiots tomorrow!

See everyone tomorrow
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #41  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Marie: start telling yourself now that you will NOT spin out of control in January! Or start planning a trip to someplace warm and sunny, like sc : )

Cruise : my hairdresser wanted me to go only halfway on the hair because I told her I know the pixie cut makes my face look fatter. I told her to just take it all off, at this point I'm going for ease and comfort! I'll let it grow out some when it starts getting cool again.

I spent the day out with a friend, did ok as far as food, but not great. Dinner was my healthy meal for the day, after an hour of walking around my neighborhood. Funny thing is that I'm checking my blood sugar more often and it seems the more carbs I eat the lower it goes - leave it to me to be backwards! Can't wait to meet with the nutritional counselor on september 2nd to work out a better eating plan! I tried putting my food into sparkpeople and it seems to be much easier than fitday, even found the sandwich I ate at the mall : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #42  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I am really feeling positive today about myself and my abilities. I really appreciate all the support I am getting here. I have been reading a lot of the success stories, mini goals and checking out people's tickers. I am inspired by so many of you!
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #43  

Hydra, I love before/after photos. I get a lot of inspiration from them. Come to think of it I have some of myself, maybe I should put those on the fridge!

Splashes, We were probably lucky not to get arrested but we had the paperwork saying the house was ours.

WLW, That was the exact reason I got my first haircut in so many years, I was out in the yard all the time with four feet of hair pinned to the back of my head. Just to much for me, and I had started to exercise and just couldn't take it anymore! Now my hair keeps getting shorter and shorter! Still trying to get Hubby to post photos! Maybe now that the bathroom is working, I can bug him about it more!

Still no shower curtain!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #44  
Tanya

S/C/G: 262/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

hello everyone...I have been missing for the summer but am happy to see some familiar faces here as well as some new faces!! It's good to be back and I need it!!

My summer was crazy but so much fun, drove from CA to PA and back with my sister, her 3 children and her dog!! The kids were so good, I couldn't even believe it. We had so much fun for the 6 weeks they stayed with me but we also had A LOT of fast food and ice cream. Sad to say I obviously gained, but the good news is that when the visit was over I returned to my eating and exercise plans quite easily. I was very pleasantly surprised...but of course it seems to come off sooooo much slower than it went on!!

Believe it or not I have one more roadtrip this year...we are driving to Yellowstone begining 9/7...but this is an adult trip so I believe eating well will be much easier. And I'm hoping to get a lot of walking in as we visit the park.

Cruise Glad you had a wonderful trip...sorry you had issues with your photos, but the ones posted are beautiful!!

I look forward to catching up with everyone soon....working my way through the last few pages of posts!!
TSap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #45  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Boy you miss one day and you get so far behind here on 3FC. Tried something new yesterday...SPINNING!!! Kicked my butt. Somehow I was able to muster the strength to STILL do pilates in the evening. I liked spinning and am considering going once a week...to start!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote