3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 40-Somethings

Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #31
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Wow, what a day. The trip over the mountain was fun and hot. I got DH to take the two panels off the Jeep hardtop. (This is my 2007 4 door Jeep Wrangler I ďlentĒ him in June). I love going topless but the rear seat hardtop is HEAVY and I hurt my wrist yesterday. Yes, itís back in the brace. Apparently diving was not a good idea. Smart people would probably call the orthopedist and admit the pain but I am blonde and I DO NOT want another cast. Anyway, I couldnít help take the heavy part off. But the two front panels were great. We bought loads of construction stuff and had to put the panels back on for the return trip. And because the trailer load was really heavy for traveling up the mountain, we didnít run the air-conditioner. It was in the mid-90s. I was a sweaty after the 1.5 hour drive. I then did the elliptical and sweated some more. Then I jumped (note I did not dive and I had the brace on) into the pool. Oh that felt like heaven. The chill to the skin was like Utopia. I swam .25 mile then gave my wrist a break. It was a nice day. Oh, one other thing. If any of you are Costco shoppers and like their food court except the high calories, I got something that was lo-cal. They have a turkey wrap, but they have mayo and cheese on it. They were just fine with my request for a specially made one without cheese and mayo. It made the wrap low in cals. So ask away and theyíre nice about it.

OMW, I definitely am surprised by the coverage. How he went from the weirdo to saint by passing away astounds me. In his prime, his music was special and was fun. But he went wacko and was the butt of late night jokes for years. Itís like that era was erased. I just donít get it.

ICU and OMW, my DD will be 24 on Monday. Apparently having a baby in the beginning of July was a common thing.

ICU, not only will LA be a circus, I bet itíll be hot, hot, hot. Enjoy celebrating your DSís b-day. Those b-days are so much more fun than our own.

Penguin, WTG on getting DH to pay attention to his choices. Get him aware and youíll have a great supporter in what youíre doing. My DH told me didnít lose weight while he was gone (he told me he would, that it would be easier while he was away). Today he admitted he clearly eats too much. I made dinner tonight and gave him the exact dinner and portions I had (I weigh my food). He was ok with it. I told him to stick with me and heíd lose weight. He agreed and I thought that was amazing. Apparently he wants the little gut gone. How cool. And the potato chip as veges was funny. DH looked at his plate tonight and said, ďMeat, vege, vege,Ē pointing to the beef slices, green beans and corn on the cob. I said, ďMeat, vege, starch. Think of the corn as your potato. Both are vegetables in the broad sense but theyíre both starches.Ē It was quite funny. So Penguin, both our hubbies are going to learn about healthy eating. BTW, Lasik doesnít correct the need for reading glasses. I was warned over and over about that. I couldnít see the side of a barn from 10 feet before the surgery and now I can see it and probably even make out the wood grain under the paint.

Jelder, great job returning the borrowed suit. NSV are really the important ones. The scale is just universal but itís the NSV changes in our lives that really make it worthwhile.

I guess thatís it for today. Maybe by posting this morning and evening, I wonít feel like Iím way behind tomorrow.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #32

This is my first time on this thread. What are you all doing to lose weight? I am curious. I tried the HCG thing last month and only lost 10 pounds on 500 calories a day. I thought I was going to die!

Jelder 227-I am especially curious about your weight loss. What have you ben doing? Right now we are at about the same weight, height and goal weight. I just really want to do something, but have not totally decided what to do.

I would appreciate any ideas you all have.
Gsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #33
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning everyone, Mack is off to play golf this AM and I will clean house. We have no plans for the weekend, we like to stay close to home on holiday weekends.

When I first started on the treadmill I had my laptop on a board across the bars so that helped me stay distracted. Now with running I always watch TV and most of the time the hour flies by. Mack hates the treadmill and moved his runs outside about two months ago; I don't think he'll ever get back on the treadmill.

Gsmom... I think most of here have given up fad diets and are now calorie counters. I for one will never starve myself again knowing that I can eat 1500 calories a day (including Ben & Jerry's) and lose roughly 2 lbs. a week.

I just wanted to remind those with dogs to please keep them in tomorrow. The shelters will be full of scared and lost dogs on Sunday.

CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #34

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Good morning all - happy holiday weekend! All you early risers must be rubbing off on me - I wouldn't usually be up before 7 on a day off.

Gsmom- welcome! Ditto to what Cruise said. I've found it super helpful to track food and exercise on thedailyplate.com. It gives you a calorie target based on height, weight and activity level for the amount of weight loss you're shooting for.

Cruise - great point about the dogs - I don't have one of my own but I often dogsit for friends and they seem to have such a hard time with fireworks. And thunder. My cat however doesn't raise an eyelash. Does anyone know why dogs are so noise sensitive that way?

ICU - good luck with the LA trip - that sounds like a total pain!

Marie - I'm starting to get a little worried about your wrist. It seems like repeatedly reinjuring the same spot can lead to longer term problems and that obviously would not fit in your active life. Is there some physical therapy you can do to strengthen the muscles that would help prevent re-injury somehow? I definitely don't know what the answer is - but it might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Jelder - The long distance thing can be hard but it sounds like you guys are making it work.

Penguin - My mom had a detached retina a few years ago so I know a bit about how tricky that is and the impact on your vision. Lots of luck with your procedures! And congrats on the pound lost!

So, my evening comfort eating cravings have been so much better lately then last night they got away from me a bit and I went over my calories for the day by about 400. Definitely not great. And I can't figure out what the trigger was - maybe not enough protein for dinner. I'll keep working on it. Luckily I had exercised a ton yesterday so I'm hoping it won't mess things up too badly. I'm planning on a quick run and lots of yardwork today since we're supposed to get some cloud cover which should make it less hot. What's everyone else up to?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #35

Everyone is very friendly here. That is great.

I have a question...does anyone here ever have feet issues. I struggle with morton's neuroma and sometimes plantar's fasciitis, which totally stinks. Every time I start to exercise it all flares up again. I have been to the podiatrist several times, but I may end up having surgery again. I had surgery for morton's neuroma about 15 years ago. This really gets in my way of exercising like I should. It also makes it difficult to even walk normally. I am interested if anyone has heard of any new treatments.

Dancer-Thanks for the welcome. I am a great lover of dancing. Do you watch "So You Think You Can Dance"?

Jelder- Good luck on the long distance thing. You all must have a great relationship. My husband and I have been married about 4 years and I HATE it whenever he has business trips, and they are usually no longer than a week. I don't sleep well when he isn't here. You must be a strong person.

Penguin-My stepdad had the same thing several years ago and it doing very well now. I am sure everything will go well for you, too.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #36

Dancer-I drove from OKC area to Grand Junction in April to get my 20 year old son. I went through Denver and across. I will have to say that is the most beautiful view I have ever seen. You live in an amazing part of the country. Also, my son lost about 30 pounds when he was out there for a few months because he was so active. He climbed the mesas, often rode a bicycle and longboarded. It seems like there is a lot to do there.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #37
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome GSmom! I started out on WW and have moved into portion control, healthier choices and exercise every day. I read labels and if the serving size says 10 crackers, I count out 10 and put the box away. My loss has slowed to about 3-4 pounds a month but I'm Ok with that because I don't feel like I've deprived myself of anything. I plan ahead for meals out by eating lighter the rest of the day. Hope you find the reight plan that works for you.

I had a little trouble with plantars fasciitis a couple years ago. Since I have lost weight my feet don't bother me.

Marie, I have to agree with Dancer, you need to have that wrist looked at.

Have a 'Fit" friday!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #38

WOW Onmyway! You have really had a lot of success. I commend you for staying with it. I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life. I am about 38% body fat, even though I am only 160 pounds. I need to get off at least 30 + pounds to get more healthy. My husband is overweight, too. He is a bad influence on me by buying junk food, making brownies, offering me ice cream, etc...I am learning to "Just Say No".
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #39
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Morning {for the next few minutes} All!

Today is a rest day from exercise [Yay} and I need it. {however I have to clean house later!} My triceps, shoulders and lats are very sore from yesterday's kbox workout. I think part of it was the short stretch and the other part was the elbow strikes in the combos, which we don't do often!

I decided to give April a day of beauty. I brushed her, clipped her claws, and cleaned out her ears; brushing her teeth will come later. I brushed her and then swept the floor and got another huge pile of fur from what had just fallen off of her. The neighbors next door told us they have a flea infestation so I wanted to make sure none had gotten on April from being in the backyard. I didn't find any fleas on her but Hubby will spray the yard tonight.

GS, Welcome, I'm new here myself and starting to watch my eating again. I was clueless about the importance of maintainence and gained back about half of what I lost two years ago. Portion control, calories, and a balanced diet combined with exercise is my plan of attack!

Dancer, since we are having cooler weather I was SUPPOSED to get out in the back and weed etc but I never made it out there.

Cruisecat, Good reminder about the pets. we left April outside on Fourth for a few hours while we went to a friend's house and when we got back she had knocked the window {unbroken} out of the bottom of the storm door trying to get inside. We never made that mistake again.

Marie, LOL, my Hubby knows better he's just not willing to give up potatos! We've gone out to eat and he's ordered a burger with POTATO chips, POTATO fries, and POTATO salad as his sides. Did I mention that he LOVES potatos!

ICU, Oh, boy, LA is going to be a madhouse. Good luck with that!

OMW, LOL on the catsup but I know what you mean!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #40
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, everyone. Just a quick drive-by post to tell you not to worry about me... I'll be largely absent for quite some time. We're hopefully going camping this weekend, if the rain will ever stop. And then next week I'm taking my boys to Florida to see my parents, back on 7/14.

My goal - just to maintain...

TTFN (do people still use that? I remember it from college: Ta-ta for now)

Working on losing some bloat...

newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #41

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Have a great time, Newleaf!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #42

Good evening everyone!! Enjoying the day today with my family at home. Had a nice run this morning with some friends and then got some projects taken care of around the house. We aren't doing much special besides fireworks twice and being in a parade with our convertible this weekend. We are sticking close to home and hanging out with friends.

dietingdiva-Good for you for resisting the temptation of pizza!! My favorite pizza restaurant closed around me so I don't have that temptation nearby anymore thankfully. That is awesome that you are doing so well with kicking a couple bad habits all at once. You rock!!

CAT-As far as the EKG blip, I would worry too. I am a big worrier though anyway. I automatically assume the worst until I know better. My kids both have heart murmurs and both had to have ultrasounds for them after their echo's. My sons turned out fine but my daughter has aortic back flow. They told me not to worry about it and have her checked again before high school. Yeah, right, how do you not worry about your children!?! Anyway, hopefully yours is no big deal like my sons and everything turns out fine. Maybe ask if you would be a candidate for an ultrasound to ease your mind?

OnTarget-Welcome to the group!! One of my nieces lives right in Louisville and my other niece lives in Shelbyville. I am very familiar with your area as my sister used to live there and her husband flew the medical helicopter for the hospital in Lexington. They lived in Shelbyville like my niece does now.

HermitGirl-Great job on a 2 pound loss!! Keep up the good work!

blue-Welcome to the group as well!! We love new faces here!

Marie-I hate it when a whole post is typed and gets lost in internet land!! I want to throw my laptop out when that happens too! We love going "topless" as well in our little convertible!! Such a free feeling! That turkey wrap does look good at Costco. I am going to try that next time. I love their non fat frozen yogurt too but they need to make a smaller size. It is way too big!

Penguin-Good luck with your surgery Monday! My grandma had it done on both eyes and said it never hurt at all.

Onmyway-Hope the biopsy comes back fine!! The hardest part is always the waiting. I suffered all winter with a sinus infection. Finally got beat by some really strong antibiotics whose side effect was possible ruptured achilles tendons. Not fun to worry about when I was just starting to run quite a bit!! Hopefully you will kick yours soon! I agree about the exercising with someone. I have a few friends and sometimes my daughter that I run with. Since I started running with them I don't like my lone runs at all!

dancer-Funny about your "senior moment"!! I am starting to have those way too often at my age, LOL! My younger sister did Botox on her lines between her eyebrows. She loved the results! As far as dog noise sensitivity, I have one who is deathly afraid of storms(she lets us know one is coming) and fireworks(she will be under something tonight and tomorrow, LOL) and my other two could care less. I think it depends on the dog.

jelder-Wow that must be hard to be away from your husband!! I bet your child misses him too! Enjoy your trip!!

ICU-I love LA since I was born near there but would not want to be there right now!! The traffic is normally horrific so I can't imagine what it will be like then! This MJ thing is pretty out of hand. I liked him back then but now saw his videos for the first time in long time on the news and had forgotten about all the crotch grabbing. That was gross!! Lots of July birthdays on here!! My dad turned 75 yesterday! My moms is on the 17th.

Gsmom-Welcome to the group!! Wow, 500 calories would barely keep you alive! No wonder you thought you were going to die! I did calorie counting at first and now just try to eat healthy. At breakfast I always eat a healthy cereal like Fiber One or Cheerios plus a glass of OJ. At lunch I try to have a veggie, protein, fruit and carb. I do the same thing at dinner. I have a website of healthy foods I try to follow mostly here:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

I am very big on exercise too. My main thing that I do now is running. I try to run 3 miles a day 5 days a week and take the weekend off. When I was actively trying to lose I biked too. I tried to run and bike for a total of one hour a day. Forgot to mention that I have major foot issues and have found the right shoes really help. Good luck in your journey!!

newleaf-You cracked me up with saying you were doing a drive-by post, LOL!! Good one! Hope you have a great time with your trips and hurry back!! We will miss you here!

Hope you all have a great 4th!!!
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #43
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I pretty much just sat around and read today. I'm reading a book called Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy; and I can really relate to Benny. She is a young woman going to collage in Dublin i the late 50's. She is discribed as big and taller than her other girl friends. When I was in collage most of my friends came up to my shoulder and were petite. {why is that anyway???} But I am enjoying the book; I used to read a great deal but slacked off over the past few years.

Beemer, I like your new avatar!

Newleaf, Have a nice time!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #44

Good morning everyone!! Happy 4th! I forgot to answer my own questions so here I go:

Reward-I am like lots of you where I think the weight loss and the feelings that go along with it are reward in themselves. I had my hubby take some new pics last night to have to remind of where I am and where I want to stay. They can be a visual reminder to me. That is where my new avatar came from too. He had washed the car up for our parade today so we took my pics by it since it isn't always clean, LOL! Black cars sure get dirty fast!!

Difference-I think this time it has become just part of my life. I have no thoughts of going back and no thoughts of depravity like I have in the past. I could be lots more restrictive in the past and I think that can be detrimental. If I feel like something that isn't the greatest I just fit it in to my plan. I probably eat 80% well and 20% not so well. For me it has been an ok balance that I can live with. Plus my running is very different from the past and really helps to keep me in shape. I am not bored with it at all and plan to stick with it.

Hope you all have a wonderful and exciting day!!
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #45
Tanya

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Height: 5'8"

I hope it's ok to jump in here and say hello. I'm new to the board, and have never posted in the 40's forum until today!
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote