Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 224/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Jen! I am also 47 years old and have been battling perimenpause for years! Every month I cross my fingers and wonder if I'll hit the lottery and stop having that TOM altogether! It sucks, and there doesn't really seem to be a good way around it. I will say that since I've been eating less sugar, salt and fastfood, I feel ALOT better especially around that TOM. Also, drinking alot of water is helpful as well. I'm prone to menstrual migraines so I really have to watch foods that trigger an episode, it's just not worth living with all that pain for a week or so. I also talked to a woman at a quilt shop that was telling me that she found when she limited her salt/sodium intake that it really cut down on her muscle and joint pain. I have experiemented with that theory and I believe she is right about that. I have noticed a real decline in my overall pain since I've reduced my salt/sodium intake.

Anyway, I hope you like the thread - everyone here is so supportive and helpful - I look forward to logging in once or twice a day even. Good luck to you!
AspiringButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #32  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

everyone...I was in the May thread and finally made it over to this one!!! Things have been going well for me. Have been OP, lost 7 inches in May, been going to Boot Camp every time (3x a week), still doing pilates and all around having a great summer so far. Getting a new grill tomorrow since my old one totally broke...the glass shattered of course that happened after we cleaned it and found where the hot spot was. It was time to get a new one as the old one was is at least 15 years old, possibly 20. At least I got a lot out of it. Anywho....gotta get going to work. EVERYONE have a great day.

J
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #33  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back Cheekie & Hermit Girl, I remember both of you posting since I have been around.

ICU - I like a Mike's now and then, thanks for the info. Has anyone tried the Miller 64? I need to find something for out by the pool that isn't 200+ calories.

AB - I have a Wii fit but I don't use it much (maybe once a month). My biggest issue is that too much time is wasted moving from one exercise to the next. I wish I could just "create" a routine and let it run.

OnMyWay - Any chance insurance will pick any of that up?

Well post TOM weight is back down to my low of 146, I hope it stays there.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #34  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

cheekie - I'm swimming with a Masters team now. Agreed - running is more portable, but man ... I love the upper body toning that comes with swimming. I only get in a couple thousand yards a week, but it's a huge difference.

newleaf and cruise - regarding the alcohol, I think I'm going to stick to red wines and dark beer. Because they're heavier, I drink them slower. I usually count them at 150 each. Guinness is lower, believe it or not - and it was actually found to be lower carb and lower GI than the vast majority of beers. After that Mike's epiphany, I plan to avoid the stuff that is "gulpable" like the wine coolers and carbonated malts - too much like pop. I don't have that level of control yet, and I have a seriously strong lineage of alcoholics on both sides of the family. I think my liver has only recently begun to forgive me for my senior year of college ...

OMW - I hear ya! I remember being scared stiff that my kid was going to be a girl - when the dr said "it's a boy!" when he was born, I had two thoughts - a) cool - we won't have to pay for a wedding, just the bar and b) cool - somebody to get dirty and hunt frogs with.

Hiya, Hermit! C'mon and join us on a regular basis! Much as I try not to spend gobs of time on the computer, I really believe that a big part of my success this time around is being in a community that NEVER gives up!

Put on a pair of pants today that I haven't tried in 2 years - they're Lands End size 10 tailored chinos, and they zipped up smoothly. Lost a couple inches - I'm now 32W/42H. That was a serious rush! I even puddled up just a little bit! I think this weekend I'm going to closet-dive and try EVERYTHING - and get rid of the stuff I never want to have to wear again!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #35  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

CruiseCat, I've not tried the Miller 64. DH tried to tell me that it is a 3.2 beer, rather than strong beer. I don't know about that. But we have become fans of the Michelob Ultra that clocks in at 96 cals a bottle--good stuff. I also make slushes in the summer that I mix with Diet 7up, both Margarita and a yummy Whisky slush. I don't know the calorie counts on those, but I keep them in the freezer for company that drops in.

ICU & OMY, that's so funny about your boys. I'm going to preface this next statement with the fact that I LOVE my son, but my immediate thought after his birth was, "What am I going to do with a boy?" I'm a real girly girl. I love all things girl! But my son and I are very much alike in our personalities and we get along really well. He is fun to be around!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #36  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Just to preclude any potential concerns - I probably won't be signing in and saying hi until about Sunday evening. I'm taking a day off work tomorrow to cram - I have to sit for the Certified Quality Engineer exam on Saturday. It's a gnarly 160-question, 5 hour trial. Took it back in 1994, but I've let my certification lapse. Given the economy plus my boss's strong suggestion that I re-up, I need to get this darn thing done. So everybody stay on track!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #37  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

ICU- good luck on your test! That's sounds like a bear! Great news fitting into the 10's!
Losermom, I'm very lucky to have one of each! Wouldn't trade either for anything!
Cruise, Don't think anything is covered by insurance. It's purely cosmetic, no medical reason. It was way more than I expected.
Jacquee- You are doing great! Keep it up!
AspiringButterfly- This menopause stuff is for the birds!

Another good day here in Missouri. Walked with my neighbor this AM, Rode bikes to swim practice. Took another bike ride with my DD after lunch. Last summer I would not have imagined going bike riding. Life is Good!

Last edited by Onmyway; 06-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #38  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Hi, ladies. Just checking in; glad to see everyone is doing so well! No menopause signs here yet; I'm 44; I guess in a couple more years... Not too much exciting going on. My parents are visiting so I am not counting calories but am trying to make good choices. They leave tomorrow, and then I am re-upping my commitment to exercise. I've been holding steady around 166; need to get back to exercising to get the loss going again... The boys have 1 more week of school; last day is Thursday. And re: having boys: my first thought was that I didn't know anything about boys, but I have to say that I've loved learning things right along side them!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 224/190/150

Newleaf, you're so close to your goal, you'll make it! It always seems to me that it's just slightly easier to be more active when the weather is nice.

I've got plans all weekend, so not sure when I'll be on - maybe at night or not until next week. It's so inspiring to read everyone's thoughts so I probably won't be able to help myself logging in sometime over the weekend to see what everyone's doing and how they're doing.

Saturday, it's girls day out with my daughters and son's girlfriend, underground tour in Seattle. Then Sunday there's a Narcolepsy seminar that my DH is going to with me, it's all day. So, no points for me this weekend, I'm going to enjoy myself while just being mindful of portions which is my biggest problem anyway. Going out to eat all weekend, so I'm determined to ask for the doggy bag right when I get my food delivered to the table. Hopefully that'll help.

Hope all have a great weekend!
AspiringButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #40  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
CruiseCat, I've not tried the Miller 64. DH tried to tell me that it is a 3.2 beer, rather than strong beer. I don't know about that. But we have become fans of the Michelob Ultra that clocks in at 96 cals a bottle--good stuff.
And I thought all beer in MN was 3.2. I think I'll give both a try next time we have people over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Just to preclude any potential concerns - I probably won't be signing in and saying hi until about Sunday evening. I'm taking a day off work tomorrow to cram - I have to sit for the Certified Quality Engineer exam on Saturday. It's a gnarly 160-question, 5 hour trial. Took it back in 1994, but I've let my certification lapse. Given the economy plus my boss's strong suggestion that I re-up, I need to get this darn thing done. So everybody stay on track!
Good Luck on your test!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
And re: having boys: my first thought was that I didn't know anything about boys, but I have to say that I've loved learning things right along side them!
I'm with you on this one Heidi. I didn't know ANYTHING about raising boys and thought I really wanted a girl. Just goes to show sometimes we don't know what's in our own best interest and we get what we need NOT what we want.

How was the rest of your visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringButterfly View Post
I've got plans all weekend, so not sure when I'll be on - maybe at night or not until next week. It's so inspiring to read everyone's thoughts so I probably won't be able to help myself logging in sometime over the weekend to see what everyone's doing and how they're doing.

Saturday, it's girls day out with my daughters and son's girlfriend, underground tour in Seattle. Then Sunday there's a Narcolepsy seminar that my DH is going to with me, it's all day. So, no points for me this weekend, I'm going to enjoy myself while just being mindful of portions which is my biggest problem anyway. Going out to eat all weekend, so I'm determined to ask for the doggy bag right when I get my food delivered to the table. Hopefully that'll help.

Hope all have a great weekend!
Sounds like a busy weekend. Love your plan for a doggy bag with your meal. I might have to try that next time because I always have good intentions but while I'm sitting there waiting for my box I continue to nibble. That way I can split it up right when it comes out and not worry about it... I like it.... Thanks for the suggestion.

Well Mack's only been gone a few hours and I already miss him like crazy. He works VERY hard and the last month has been one of stress and deadlines. I'm glad he's going to get some much needed R&R and to dive everyday (weather permitting) but selfish me wants him here with ME. I have lots to keep me busy but it's just not the same without him here.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 112kg 247 lbs/90kg/67kg 147lbs

Height: 5'3'' 160 cm

Just to say hi,
I'm feeling little bit better. Hopefuly will be 100% ok by Monday to go back on my daily routine.
best regards to all
Nell
Nell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Howdy all - I'm relatively new to the board and am finding my way to the right spots still. Glad to have found the 40-something crowd! No menopause yet (barely 40) and no kids but otherwise it sounds like we have lots in common. Hope you don't mind my tagging along. Anyone have fun plans for the weekend? Nothing too exciting here but hoping to get in some good runs and lots of yard work.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #43  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

DancerInDenver - welcome! Definitely, join the ride! As for the weekend, nothing too much scheduled. I'm looking forward to getting some more flowers in the ground and getting some exercise under my belt.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #44  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Dancerindenver, Glad you found us! There's always room for another chick!

I have enjoyed my first full week of summer vacation! I have done well getting exercise and have stayed out of the pantry! I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds before I head back to school. I'm thinking I need to add another ticker.

No big weekend plans. We do have a graduation party to go to Sunday but other than that nothing major. My church is having a big rummage sale later this month. I'm on a mission to clear my house of "stuff".

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited by Onmyway; 06-05-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #45  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

AspiringButterfly - count me in on the perimenopause. My TOM started yesterday and I'm really tired today, as usual. I've heard that perimenopause can go on for 10 years. Ugh.

Nell68 - hope you're feeling better, soon.

CruiseCAT - I have two boys and I know that it's harder when they are young because of the energy. My two are like the Energizer bunnies and sometimes I'd like to take their batteries out for awhile.

newleaf123 - my parents are visiting, too. I like your idea to just make better choices. It is so hard to follow a plan since my parents don't like to plan.

I'm glad that TOM is here. I usually find that I can lose weight much easier in the first part of my cycle, for some reason.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote