Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #16  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Newleaf, Perdido Key is actually in the Florida Panhandle. Between Gulf Shores and Pensacola. It's a nice 12 hour drive for us, doable in a day. Happy Birthday to your son, enjoy the day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #17  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Vacation plans: I'm taking the boys to Sanibel, FL in July to visit my parents for a week. And, we have rented a house in Virginia that backs up against the Shenandoah Forest for a week, also in July.
Two of my favorite places. I love the the Gulf Coast of Florida. If I had not moved west I was going to move to Fort Myers. Growing up in Virginia we spent MANY weekends camping in the Shenandoah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
Vacation plans in June: we are headed to Berlin on the 9th for a concert on the 10th, but will stay until the 12th.
We want to see lots of pictures when you get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
We have nothing going on for June except my 25th HS reunion.

Well, I had what felt like a couple of pounds of hair removed on Saturday -
I had my 25th in November 2007 and had a great time. I was heavier than I really wanted to be but then again most people were.

I have thought about cutting my hair short short once I am closer to goal. I have also been debating on not coloring it anymore but I am seriously grey, like 70%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
I can't believe it's already June! Our vacation plan is Jun 30-July 14 to DC to visit DD21 for her 22nd birthday! We will be staying at her apartment in Arlington VA. We've never been to DC before and DH & DS14 are huge history buffs. We're also bringing my mom, 69. DD's apartment is a 1 bdrm, so it will be tight, but not as tight as a hotel room.
wow... 5 in a 1 BR.... good luck with that. Actually it's not the 1BR that might be rough it's the 1 bath. I grew up in McLean and when family came for a visit we would have to take them into DC. As a child I hated it but then when I became an adult I did it to my son... often just the two of us. The good news is he was five when we moved away from the DC area so he wasn't scarred for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMel View Post
It's June- oh my!

No 'planned' vacations. Though we do like to camping/hiking on the weekends in the summer. Favorite places are Glacier National Park in MT & Waterton National Park here in southern AB.
Camping in Glacier.... I love it!! In 1996 I did two weeks on a motor cycle. We left out of Phoenix with temps 100+ and spent a couple days in Glacier temps in the 20's (with snow on the ground). That was such a GREAT trip.... thanks for the memories. Now I need to go look at my pics from that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
Hey Cat! I've heard wonderful things about Myrtle beach!
I love Myrtle Beach I just wish the kids were happier there. It's hard for them to be so far away from friends in family back in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena41 View Post
Hi. I am new here and happy to find people posting on the 40+ board.
Hi Sheena.... Welcome to the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by presmaggie View Post
A question for those with experience: My parents are coming for a visit to meet our younger 5 yr old son this week (we are in the process of adopting him from foster care) and I am worried about emotional eating when they are here (they can be a bit stressful). Any tips on the best ways to avoid that pitfall?
Congratulations of the adoption. As for stress eating I always try to keep yummy healthy stuff to grab and snack on when necessary; I LOVE frozen grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmyway View Post
We are heading to Perdido Key, FL June 20. I love being at the beach. I'll be reading, relaxing and walking the beach. Add in some fresh shrimp and I'm in heaven!

Cruise, thanks for getting us started this month. I'll be kicking things up a bit this month too! Let's do it!

Hope I got everyone! If I missed someone, I'm sorry! Have a great evening!
Welcome back. Your upcoming vacation sounds wonderful.

Yes, we WILL kick things up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell68 View Post
Hi ladys
I have a sinusitis and taking some antibiotic but hopefully it will be over soon :-). Silver lining is that I have lost my appetite, because right now all food taste like cardboard :-)).Nell
Sure hope you feel better soon; don't forget to eat and drink LOTS of fluids.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 06-02-2009 at 09:27 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #18  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Sorry about the LONG post. Obviously I need to get by here more than once a day.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #19  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Onmyway - that's a good point. I should make sure that we eat as many meals as possible here. In the past, we often went out to eat when my parents visited. Maybe we can keep that down to 1 or 2 times.

Nell68 - my mother is a bit critical of my parenting sometimes, although she is often very supportive. We have to deal with our children differently than most people, especially at first, because we are dealing with the child plus their baggage from the past. Our older son was adopted from Eastern Europe 3 years ago when he was 3 years old. We've been through this type of transition before and our older son has bonded very well. We've had our younger son living with us for 2.5 months and he's still very much in the testing phase.

newleaf123 - the herbal tea is a good suggestion. I'll keep that in mind at stressful times and drink lots of it to fill me up.

CruiseCAT - I'll stock up on some yummy snacks before they come. Thanks!

I'm off to take the kids to school and then I'll put some thought into the menu for my parents' visit. Thanks for the input!
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #20  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

OnMyWay - Oh, of course! Silly me... I know Perdido Key. My FIL used to live in Gulf Shores until his house was destroyed in a hurricane a couple years ago. Now he lives in Foley, AL. We usually go down there once a year. It's beautiful there!

Last edited by newleaf123; 06-02-2009 at 01:59 PM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #21  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Hi all! I hope you are all doing well today I can't do personals as it's 10.30 and if I'm to manage a 4.45 wake up tomorrow (for C25K W5D2) I need to get to bed!

Wanted to report in that I have lost another 800 gr officially, which is 7.3KG in total for the last 7 weeks that I've "restarted" my program I'm pleased as punch!!! My ticker is based on my home w/i, my losses above are my WW w/i. So actually total lost is more than my ticker, it's 16 lbs

enjoy the rest of your day, ladies, and hopefully I'll have more than a moment to catch up with you tomorrow!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi there!

I also joined in December and then fell off the wagon and gained 9 more pounds before I came back at the end of April...I have been following my plan since then.

No vacation plans this summer but I do have a family wedding in October that I hope to have shedded a lot of my weight by that time.

I live in California- so everyday seems like a vacation :-)
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #23  
Ready to hit the beach!

Welcome Cheekiemonkey! This is a terrific group! I think the support here is huge part of why I am doing well this time.

DD started swim team yesterday. I saw lots of moms I hadn't seen all winter. I got lots of compliments on how I look and lots of questions on what I have been doing. I have come to a much better place about how to handle the attention. It used to bother me a little.

Took a nice long bike ride with my DD yesterday. Rain here today so I can focus on getting my house in order. Later today I have a consult with the vein center to see about having some spider veins removed. I have a huge cluster behind one of my knees that I am very self conscious of. I'll let you know what he says. I am pretty sure it is not covered by my insurance.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #24  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Velveteen - congrats on the weight loss!

cheekiemonkey - as someone who also gained since Christmas, welcome! The support here is great and it's good that you're back. As you can see by my signup date, I tried this 4 years ago and life was way too stressful at the time to stay on track. I'm hoping that with the support of this site, this time will be different.

Onmyway - what a great pat on the back from others. I guess the attention might be a bit difficult if you're not used to it, but try to enjoy it if you can. You certainly have the right to feel proud of your accomplishment.

Just puttering along on my weight loss with a couple of pounds a week. I think I'll work on my carb input and see how I can adjust it. I have insulin resistance due to my PCOS and a doctor who specializes in PCOS told me that she has never seen anyone be successful in weight loss without drugs (Metformin), but I'm not a really severe case and I want to give it my best shot.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #25  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

pres - in answer to your prior question - I'm a maniac with raw veggies when under fire. Celery, carrots, radishes. There's something satisfyingly destructive about the crunching. I figured out the veggies as a substitution when it occurred to me why I ate so many chips/pretzels - and discovered that the good stuff actually crunches so loudly that with practice, I can drive the annoying person away, or at least drown out their noise.

I should try to compile pictures of my goofy hair for y'all. Cruise, I'm 100% gray - and it's a boring gray, not the cool white that my mom has. I let it go for a while in my late 30's. People would look puzzled, and ask my age - I'd tell them I was 50 and they'd go "You look so YOUNG!!!" hahahaha! Seriously, I somehow missed the "girly" gene and detest spending even one extra minute primping that could be spent sleeping, and as I mentioned, I have way the heck too much hair to be controllable without a LOT of effort. Better to be shorn like a sheep and look neat, at least (my thought)! LOL!

Welcome cheekie!

Nell, I wish you a speedy recovery. Can you send the lack of appetite over here for a bit?

OMW - I'm a swim parent too! I now have a lot more respect for my parents, who used to volunteer all the time at MY swim meets - it makes it go a heck of a lot faster. DS9 has another meet coming up Friday - I'll be timing.

Velveteen - keep up the great work!!! woohoo!

And finally - tip of the day - a Mike's Hard Cranberry lemonade has 222 calories. Good grief! That one got highlighted in the food journal!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #26  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
And finally - tip of the day - a Mike's Hard Cranberry lemonade has 222 calories. Good grief! That one got highlighted in the food journal!
I've been meaning to get out there and buy my case of Mikes for the summer; thanks for the warning!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 224/190/150

Height: 5'6"

NewLeaf, thanks for keeping me in the loop and rescuing me from the May Chat to move onto the June chat here. I guess it just didn't click - of course I don't know what my excuse was April, LOL!

Anywhoo, I was wondering if anyone uses the Nintendo Wii Fit for exercise and how they like it? I just got the Jillian Michaels boot camp for Wii and I LOVE it! Wii got me off the couch and after doing that for a couple of weeks got motivated to do the treadmill and now after two months onto some aerobics VHS and DVDs. I had been pretty sedentary for soooooo long, the Wii was doable and not overwhelming at all. Anyway, I was hoping to hear someone elses experiences with it or any other new exercise stuff they've done with it. I like the bowling and tennis games too.

As for vacations - just weekend things here and there, nothing too special. I am trying to figure out how to fund a trip to Reno this summer, my DH and I were married there 17 years ago and thought it would be fun to go back. I know summer may not be the best time to visit, it'll be hella hot, but we'll see. I wanted to see some ghost towns!

Sounds like everyone has alot going on. Summer always flies by so fast!
AspiringButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #28  
Wandering in the Woods

Hi everybody. I really don't have any thread to jump in with, and well, I just want to start making myself more acquainted here on the 40's forum, to establish a good habit for the weightloss focus. I have not been consistant with hanging out here, as you can see, I've been a member for two years now, all the while gaining 20 pounds !!!! I suppose the real shift is going to be in my head, and I need to remind myself consistantly to follow the right path. "Choose those for friends whom you wish to emulate" .

I am basically taking babysteps into lifestyle changes, not really on any particular weightloss 'program' , just want to eat super healthfully, and moderately. I am also perimenopausal and that doesn't make it any easier ! These days I am battling motivation between just eating good healthy food with NO JUNK.... and.... eating *less* of it. I read Bittman's "Food Matters", and also the SuperfoodsRx, and would love to know what books and stuff that you kids are into here in this little Forties Corner. Cooking is my favorite thing to do ... almost as much as eating !

I kind of live out in the backwoods, am a housewife for the most part, dog-mom, and well, I have plenty of time to either cause myself a lot of trouble and grief , or to work on self improvement to perfection .

I really hope to make some positive and influencial friends here.~Jen

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 06-03-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the welcome.

Lots of swim parents here- that is cool. I'm not a parent but used to swim...recently swam on a Master's team. Stopped swimming because of some life stuff and then gained too much weight. Once I lose some I plan on going back to it. I'd rather run right now. But I applaud all of you who sit through those very long meets :-)

Trying to get my motivation up to go to the gym....it is netter when I do it in the morning that way I get it over with....

Have a good day!
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #30  
Ready to hit the beach!

HermitGirl, Glad to have you with us! This is a great group. Lots of support and good advice. I'm with you that this is a lifestyle change. I started out counting points but not attending WW meetings. Now I'm more about portion control and making healthy choices. You have to figure out what works for you.

AspiringButterfly, I have a wiiFit and used it alot over the winter. Now that the weather's nicer I'm walking and riding my bike more.

ICU, I'm with you, I would much rather sleep late than mess with hair and makeup! My DD is way more of a girly girl than I ever was. Scares me a little!

Presmaggie, Losing a couple of pounds a week is fantastic! I've slowed to about 2-3 pounds a month but I'm OK with that. I'm not quite as diligent as I was when I first started but it's still coming off. Good luck with the visit from your folks!

My visit with the vein Dr. was very informative. Seems pretty expensive, $500 per treatment and he said I should expect 5-6 treatments! I'm thinking there are lots of other things I would rather spend money on! I'm going to check out another center to see what they suggest.

Tried a new dressing from Trader Joe's. Champagne Pear Vinaigrette. Very tasty and only 45 calories in 2 TBL.

Hope everyone had a great day!