Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #1  

Default Would anyone like to share their weight loss tips ?

I am reading a book on health tips & wanted to share some of the tips in the book, I am also hoping to read some of your tips.

1.They believed they could do it. 2. They lost weight for themselves. 3. They found out what worked for them. 4. They were willing to learn a new way of eating. 5. They deal with slipups immediately. 6. They say nice things to themselves. 7. They exercise. 8. They face their feelings.
10. They get support.
ceal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Can't do better than 1 and 5!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

In addition to #6, Be kind and loving to yourself. Pamper yourself! Most of us a busy working moms--if we don't do it for ourselves who will?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

1. Embrace each number on the scale as you pass through it. Don't hold onto anger about being where you are, just know that you need to pass through each number to get to where you are going.

2. Accept that losing weight is non-linear and don't fret when you stop stringing downward days or weeks together. Start each day fresh.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Drink lots of water. Treat yourself everyday; whether it's a SF popsicle or bowl of sliced fruit -- maybe it's an iced coffee. I think my treat is what splits my day into two parts and helps my stave off my appetite until dinner. It's something I look forward too every day.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 115/115/100

Height: 4'11

I never tell myself, "No, I can't have this." I don't like feeling deprived, like I can't go out and be social and order food that I'll really enjoy. The key, however, is moderation. For instance, if I really want something like a grilled cheese or a quesadilla (can you tell I'm a Wisconsinite?!) I'll limit myself to a half-portion, and supplement it with fruit, a broth-based soup, or a green salad with lots of veggies. Also, once in a while, I crave ice-cream. However, I'm not going to settle for the low-fat, low-cal crap that's just going to leave me craving the "real thing" even more. So I have just a LITTLE BIT of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and I feel great!

Hope that helps!
aschoepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

I agree with mamaspank and aschoepke- allowing myself certain indulgences has been instrumental in my ability to stick with my program. If I eliminate all the foods I love, I'll completely fall off the wagon. I especially agree that there are certain things for which there are no substitutes. Everything in moderation One of the ways I do that is I don't keep junk in my house. If I want ice cream, I go out for it and just get a single serving. It makes me think about whether I really want it or if i'm just eating it because it's there...
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #8  

Default Thanks for sharing

I appreciate all of the tips that you guys have shared.
When I am feeling down I try to keep in mind that I don't have to feel good about myself every moment of the day to make changes in my life. In fact, things usually work the other way, I generally feel better as a result of having made constructive changes.
ceal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 142/141/120

Height: 5'4"

I try to have the "allowable" snacks in the house at all times! I love peanuts and the SF popsicles. I am terrible at drinking enough water, so try to keep Crystal light and iced tea in the fridge. I have a tendency to get down on myself easily, so try to consciously be positive about the diet (if that is possible
Celtic mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #10  
I aim to misbehave

S/C/G: 225/tick/175

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the "allowable" snacks, as Celtic mom said, but I also have list of "don't even think about its." For example, I decided that pizza and french fries could go--I've never really cared for either--but for some reason, I ate them--think about what you could easily eliminate from your life, and get rid of it!

I would also add to your list--don't think of slip ups as slip ups. The term "slip ups" implies that it was an accident--it isn't--figure out why you are off plan and deal with it. I always "slip up" with dairy--so instead of stressing about it, I make sure to include enough dairy in my daily plan so that I don't crave it. Instead of feeling negative about being off plan, listen to your body and figure out how to give it what it needs.
Riverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #11  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Here's what seems to be working for me.

I don't consider this a "diet". I have made a lifestyle change. I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life.

Plan for special occasions and indulgences. If I know we will be eating out I look up nutritional info online beforehand to help me decide what I should order. I eat lighter the rest of the day to compensate. If I want dessert that's ok if I share it with my DH.

Read labels and find out what a serving size actually is. If I want pretzels and the serving size is 20 pretzels, I count them out and put the rest away.

I exercise every day. 30 minutes of something.

I accept that there is no quick fix to my journey. It may take a while but I'm not going anywhere.

Don't let the scale be the only determiner of success. How my clothes fit, how I feel, the longterm benefits of weightloss are way more important than a number on a scale. That's what counts!

Posting here for support and encouragement. Only someone who has been there truly understands how hard it is to lose. These boards are full of lots of great information and inspiration!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #12  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Have a workout buddy. When I know someone is expecting me to show up, I go!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote