40-Somethings Jan. 2009 Chat

You're on Page 1 of 13
Go to
  • This is my first time starting a thread...I hope I did it correctly.

We have to get this going. Where are all the 40-somethings that were here in the summer? Winter Hibernation?

Welcome to all new chics!

I made it through the holidays OP. I worked hard at it and proved to myself that just because the holidays were here it didn't mean to eat..eat..eat.

Here is 2009 and a fresh New Year to get healthy!
  • Thanks for starting this thread. There seems to be alot of new activity going on around here. I joined 3FC in October. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new friends. Together we CAN do this!
  • Good morning everyone... I'm getting ready for work and feeling a bit 'bleh'. I've almost finished my first week and with one slip up, I'm feeling good about my progress.

I hope everyone here is having a great new year - and if anyone is in need of a workout/calorie counting/whatever buddy - just give me a shout! I could use one!!

Happy Friday!!
  • Thanks for starting the thread, Hattie. Maybe we should introduce ourselves again, since there are so many new people.

I am a 44 yr. old SAHM to two kids, a 6 1/2 year old girl who is in first grade, and an almost 5 year old boy who is in pre-K. We live in the Atlanta suburbs. I am a life long yo-yo dieter who is hoping that this time it will be different. I am a calorie counter and an exercise enthusiast. I started using a bodybugg in November and I *love* it.

I didn't do so well over the holidays, but I am back on plan now. I am looking forward to chatting with you!
  • buddy (s) needed
    I'm in need of some encouraging buddies. I'm new to the site...not new to why I'm here though. I have a cute dress hanging in my office (wore 8 years ago) that has been by weight lose buddy and I feel no closer now than I did a year ago. Trying something different.
  • Thank you Hattie! Taking the bull by the horns...you're my kinda girl. That's exactly the way it's done! Way to go on your losses. Keep it up!
    OnMyWay~ that you are! Congratulations on your progress. Please do share what's worked best for you.
    TheMrs~maybe we can meet here...unless you want to PM.
    Way to go WardHog on getting back on track! I'll follow your example: 44 yrs, Christian married working mom; boys 12 and 7. DH gone more than half of the time. Yoyo dieter too...believing this time HAS TO BE different. Doing well despite temp TOM frustration yesterday. Lack support/encouragement at home.
    Mykids~I hung a pair of jeans I wore seven years ago for encouragement next to the scale. Maybe I should put them on the refrigerator!
  • Oh!! I am so excited! Other 40 somethings to share with!

I am 48. I have two grown children. A son..24 and a daughter..23. I miss them as little ones. Now I have to wait to become a grandmother. I have a wonderful husband that is my Best friend. We have been married for 27 years. I work full time. I have two rotties, 1 cat, and nine hermit crabs.

I have always had a weight problem but have been up and down in my adult years. I have lasted 2 to 3 mths on a plan and have somehow quit after that. The most I have lost was 50 lbs.. I started this time on August 11th, 2008. I have been OP since then. I am very proud of that! I made it through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I am almost at my 5 mth mark. (January 11th) I plan to do this for the rest of my life...but keep my thoughts at making it a year. I would love to get to that point and be able to maintain.

My plan:
    I count calories and try to eat balanced, healthy foods. I use to eat a lot of pasta, and red meat. Now I mostly have chicken, turkey, and salmon. I eat lots of veggies and fruits. I eat only brown rice and wheat pasta and keep the portions small. I eat only whole wheat, low calorie bread (Arnold sandwich thins are great and only 100 calories) My calorie allotment is between 1400- 1700. I do find it hard sometimes to make the higher amounts...weird!

Exercise: I try to do something for 30 min. 6 times a week. I do the treadmill or the elliptical for 30 min. in AM. I do wii fit or resistant band work in the PM.

Journal: I have a little notebook that goes with me everywhere. I write down everything I eat and all the exercise for the day. I write what I did or how I was feeling sometimes. I am going to start my third notebook on January 13th...and I know I am weird but it excites me that I will have two completed!

Pedometer: I wear it every day. I use it to help encourage me to keep moving as much as possible. It records 7 days worth. It records mileage and calories.

Reward: I have a bracelet that I add a bead to for every 5 lbs. I lose. It helps to remind me of my accomplishments and keeps me from putting BAD stuff into my mouth since that hand is the one that goes to my mouth.

Right now I think I might be at a standstill. That is okay because I know my body has to constantly adjust. I try to mix up the food and/or exercise to always keep my body guessing.

I know this is long...sorry. Just thought I would start this off so you would get a good picture of what I mean by OP. I joined 3FC in September and have met all kinds of great chics!

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you. We can do this! I want to be a buddy, a friend, and a support to all of you. I will need to lean on you for support also.

Are you chics ready to be fit before we turn 50? I am!!! I have only two years to do it. Join me! We will have fun! We will do this for life! It is time!
  • Hi there ladies-may I join you?
    My name is Mel & I'm 41. I have 3 children ages 8, 6(soon to be seven) & 4.
    I work part-time and have been overweight for a long time.
    I'm working on nutritious food, portion control & exercise. I'm trying to hit 10,000+ steps daily on my pedometer.
  • Hi there all you 40 somethings....I am 48 with one daughter 17. Hi to you fellow Canadian in Calgary!

I have been here for about a week now....have since joined the Y and taking yoga classes one day a week.

I need to get one of those tickers to keep track of my weight loss progress..can anyone tell me how to do that?

thanks, Sandra (fitredchick)
  • Hi Everyone!

Here's a little about me. I am 47, soon to be 48. I have a 19 year old son and a 10 year old daughter. My husband and I have been married for 23 years. I work as a teaching assistant in a special ed preschool classroom.

I have struggled with my weight most of my life. At my highest I weighed 257. When I began my lifestyle change at the beginning of September I weighed 235. I am doing a home WW plan where I count points. I walked regularly when the weather was nicer. I jog/walk the treadmill, ride the stationary bike and have recently been doing a step workout at home. I am hoping to get a Wii fit sometime soon. I feel better than I have in a long time.

My weigh in day is Saturday and I am really hoping to be under 200 pounds. That will be a huge milestone for me. I have not been under 200 for over 20 years!

I have found these boards to be a great source of inspiration and support. I am looking forward to learning more about each of you and sharing this journey with you.

We CAN do this!
  • Hi Everybody, I'm 46, married with 2 grown children 24 and 23 and the proud grandmama of Autumn 3 and Teagan 1 month old. It's so nice to have this forum... to everybody!
  • Hi everyone I am 41(will be 42 next week) have one son who is 12 going on 30. Have said I Do twice and I Don't twice as well. Guess that is life. I am in mgmt. at a local grocery store where the stress as well as my 2nd ex helped but back on weight. In 03 had a hyst and lost from 234 to 173 then with stress from work and the ex had went up to 249 in July of last year. Currently I have made it down to 221 by watching what I eat, no pop(SHOCKING) and lots of exercise. Hoping that this will be a start of a wonderful journey!
  • Hi all!

Canadamel: Of course you can join us! I try to hit 10,000 as well.

fitredchic: Hi! You have to post a certain amount and be a member for a certain amount of time before you can put a tracker on. I think it is like 20 posts and maybe a couple of weeks. After that time you can go in the userCP and set a tracker up. I couldn't wait also. I kept trying until I finally was able to do it. I was sooo excited!

We WILL do this!!
  • fitredchic: Yep..it is 20 days and 20 posts. You are almost there!!
  • Good morning all! See what you did Hattie? Looks like we've gotten ourselves an impressive little group here! Welcome to all...It appears that we all know what to do...so here's to keeping each other supported and accountable.
    Hattie seems to have it going on...and plateaus seem to go with the territory. Thankfully, (hopefully?!?) they're temporary.
    Onmyway, I certainly hoped you went to onederland today...Let us know.
    Happy Birthday gigglez!
    Wishing all a wonderful day.