40 Something Bios

You're on Page 13 of 34
Go to
  • First name: Maddie

Geographical location: east coast of Canada

Marital Status: married

Children/Ages: DD 7 years DD 5 years

Occupation: was a teaching principal for 13 years,became SAHM for past 5 years, back on teaching sub list Sept '10

Pets: black lab Benny black cat Gage beta fish Bubbles and Fishy LOL

Hobbies/Interests: "glamping" interior design gardening baking (which is 25% responsible for getting me here)

Height: 5' 6"

Eye/Hair Color: green/light auburn

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 19,2010

Starting Weight: 220

Goal Weight: 160 and then I'll fine tune it from there

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: cooking something that my meat and potatoes and sweet dessert loving hubby will NOT complain about

Following any specific plan: definitely low glycemic and close to vegetarian

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: more motivation from external souces (so not looking forward to the subtle "OMG she put on weight since she's been gone" looks from former co-workers)

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am a diagnosed hypoglycemic who also has an overabundance of candida (yeast cells). Double whammy.ugh. Also I believe strongly in naturopathy and homeopathy rather than conventional medicine...but I'm not the crunchy-granola type.
  • First name: Eileen

Geographical location: Near Nashville, TN. Originally from Boston, MA (OFD!)

Marital Status: happily divorced

Children/Ages: son 21, daughter 23

Pets: custodial grandma to Lucky, 12 yr old mutt. also have a grandcat, Binx

Hobbies/Interests: reading, gardening, travel, "lost 45's", plays, concerts, Hot In Cleveland!

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color:blue-ish/currently blonde but originally mousy brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 8-18-2010

Starting Weight:218.8, but my WW leader "takes off" 2 lbs for clothes, so she says 216.8 (Crazy, huh?)

Goal Weight: 154, then I will have a "normal" BMI

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: finishing what I have started

Following any specific plan: WW flex/momentum, and walking with a goal of completing a 5K in October

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have decided 2010 is MY year! I sold my house, quit my job, moved away from home, family and friends for grad school. I live alone so I only have to shop and cook for myself, finally!

Anything else you would like to share with us: I can get chatty....And I'm a Red Sox fan!
  • Foodfighter2000 Bio
    First name: Jacqueline

Geographical location: San Diego

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: lost my only child 2 years ago

Pets: yappy little dog named Precious Muchacho

Hobbies/Interests: Cooking (!), gluten-free baking, knitting, crochet, mystery novels, ZooWorld and Farmville on Facebook, thinking deep thoughts, and a 24-hour-a-day obsession with food

Height: 5'9"

Eye/Hair Color: green/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: August 2010

Starting Weight: 150

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: no self-discipline! I can't say no to myself, and myself is always asking for cookies, cake, ice cream and chocolate. I have never really been on a diet, or at lease a successful one, relying on bingeing and starving to achieve my weight goals. Somehow, twenty pounds slipped aboard unchecked....

Following any specific plan: See above - I have stopped eating pounds of chocolate at one sitting, but am unable to not eat it at all. I bought a used elliptical machine tonight, new running shoes, workout wear, and am building a weight-loss exercise INFRASTRUCTURE that is sure to bear fruit....

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: desperation

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am a middle aged woman with depression and anxiety who has suddenly gained a lot of weight and grown out of an extensive wardrobe. I am wearing thrift store clothes three sizes bigger than normal, and I literally spend 90% of my waking hours thinking about what I can or cannot eat, when I can eat it, and how I'll feel when I eat it. I need help, and am here for support and encouragement, and maybe to hear the voices of sanity, which is probably not what I'm hearing from inside my own head.
  • First name: Samantha

Geographical location:Chicago suburbs

Marital Status:Single

Children/Ages:None I know of

Pets:My folks have 3 chihuahua mixes who act as furry brother/sisters.

Hobbies/Interests:Movies, Britcoms, Reading comedy-mysteries, Cooking, Writing

Height:5'

Eye/Hair Color:Presently red/green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey:July 20, 2010

Starting Weight:?

Goal Weight:size 14

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss:Getting past a size 16; I self-sabotage around that point.

Following any specific plan:Original Body Flex, "sensible" eating

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past:I'm in my 40s

Anything else you would like to share with us:I don't like to get on scales; I'd rather feel roomier in clothes.
  • First name: Kelly

Geographical location: Southern California

Children/Ages: 1 son; 14 years

Pets: 2 Carolina Dogs, Bonkers & Bumpers

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Movies, Biking, Swimming, Hiking, Camping

Height: 5' 3"

Eye/Hair Color: Hazel/Brown

Starting Date of Weight loss Journey: September 1, 2010

Starting Weight: 236

Goal Weight: 130

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weight loss: Allowing myself to put ME first, understanding that I am worth the effort.

Following any specific plan: Calorie Counting & Exercise

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am a people pleaser and an emotional eater. I have done allot of emotional house cleaning and I am ready to be done hiding ME.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I have a 80 mile RT commute daily, up at 4 a.m. and home around 6 p.m., and it really eats into the exercise time, I have to remember to make the time.
  • I'm so unhappy.
    First name: Becky

Geographical location: Nebraska

Children/Ages: 3 boys ages 19, 16, & 8

Pets: Black Lab named Kota and Bichon named Sophie

Hobbies/Interests: Camping, boating, gardening, reading, photography.

Height:5'6".5

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde / Brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Wow - loaded question. My starting date THIS time is tomorrow (failed miserably already today) September 8th, 2010.

Starting Weight: 190

Goal Weight:155

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Everything! I have a total lack of will power to resist the foods that have helped put me in this position. I have no desire to excercise, nor the energy to even if I did have the desire! Afternoon & evening snacking kill me. I get easily defeated/distracted - I'm an instant gratification kind of girl - I want to eat healthy for a few day and lose 10 lbs - and when I don't show a significant loss I'll fall right back into my bad ways.

Following any specific plan: Eat more healthy, resist cravings & try to move more.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm the heaviest I've ever been - I feel awful all the time, tired, depressed & body aches. I'm so embarrased by my weight gain I won't let my picture be taken, I hate to go out of the house, I fear I'm an embarrassment to my boys and I carry alot of shame.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm a yo-yo dieter I suppose. I lost 30lb in 2008 with Metabolic - but I HATED the restrictive eating and the HIGH cost of the plan. I've had success with WW in 2007 - again - HATED the expense and ultimately felt like I was too restricted again. I NEED to lose weight - I'm too tired to even play with my 8yr old.
  • First name: Janice

Geographical location: Manitoba

Marital Status:Single

Children/Ages: Girl, 23/Boy, 14

Pets:2 kitties

Hobbies/Interests:Love to read King or Koontz

Height:4'11"

Eye/Hair Color:Blue/Originally brown; now "Sangria"

Starting Date of Weight loss Journey:September 1, 2010

Starting Weight: 224

Goal Weight: I'll start with 174 (50lbs)then it will change

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weight loss:Finding variety in meals

Following any specific plan:I lean closer to Ideal Protein & Atkins than anything. I've basically cut out carbs so as to re-train my pancreas and change my metabolism.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past:This is the heaviest I've EVER been; even when pregnant!! The difference this time is a desire to live long enough to see my grandbaby grow up.

Anything else you would like to share with us:I am so happy to have found this site. My life consists of work & home so I don't have a lot of friends. The support I feel from 3FC is very much appreciated. I like that I can bare my soul yet still feel anonymous.
  • First name: Betty

Geographical location: North Dakota

Marital Status: happily remarried!

Children/Ages: son - 19 daughter - 17

Pets: 2 westies (Molly & Otis)

Hobbies/Interests: beading, crochet, gardening

Height: 5' 7"

Eye/Hair Color: hazel, brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: THIS time.....today!

Starting Weight: 178

Goal Weight: 140

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: motivation - it can switch at the drop of a hat! Eating sweets for a stress relief or just because I can't get enough!

Following any specific plan: Eat healthy, move more! Sounds so easy - why isn't it?

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I have elevated cholesterol, depression, and need to get my butt in gear to take care of my health before it gets out of hand. I know the regular exercise will help with both.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Need to get out of my slump! No motivation - one day I'll have some, then the next it's gone and I'm frustrated with myself! Trying to move past a stressful 2 years! My brother took his life in October 2008 and ex-husband (an alcoholic) died in August 2009 due to tragic fall and skull fractures.
  • Hey
    First name: Cassie

Geographical location: North Central Alabama

Children/Ages: Chel 20, Sarah 16, Lori 14, Rylie 7

Pets: 0

Hobbies/Interests: Reading romance novels, sewing

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: Brown, redish brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: September 26,2010

Starting Weight: 285

Goal Weight: 165

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Excersizing I have time but not the gumption.

Following any specific plan: No

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Its time!

Anything else you would like to share with us:
  • First name: Aubrey

Geographical location: Florida Panhandle

Children/Ages: (1) 14 yer. old son.

Pets: (1) very spoiled shih-tzu dog

Hobbies/Interests: camping, boating, reading, spending time with family and friends

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color: green/ blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Sept. 28, 2010

Starting Weight: 233.6

Goal Weight: 180

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Not eating as a social event/ staying motivated

Following any specific plan: counting calories approx. 1200

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I am going to stop taking 3 steps forward 4 steps back. I want to over this specific dilema.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am excited to be here and any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
  • Delaring 40
    First name: Laurel

Geographical location: Atlanta

Children/Ages: Regan, 3 and Lily 1

Pets: Sam the bird and Fred the fish

Hobbies/Interests: karate, yoga, the outdoors, cooking, reading

Height: 5'5"

Eye/Hair Color: brown /red

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: all my life, but most recently this past fall when I was cleared after the birth of my now one-year-old; nothing is working and I'm stuck.

Starting Weight: 180

Goal Weight: 145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: having the time to work out, which I love to do

Following any specific plan: trying to exercise at least 3-4 times per week and eating healthy; currently have starteda 1500 cal meal plan and I just don't think it's for me - cals not the prob, but counting the food pieces is dumb.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: no time to work out; I could work out seven days a week if I could - I'm an endorphin addict - with kids and a hubby who works opposite of me, I don't get to work out like that and am lucky to work out at all

Anything else you would like to share with us: After the last statement I posted, I'm now sad. Ugh.
  • First name: Kirsten

Geographical location: Chile

Children/Ages: three kids ages 5, 7 and 1

Pets: 1 guinea pig - 'Miss Olivia Golden Squeak'

Hobbies/Interests: reading, cooking, gardening, travel, camping, hiking

Height: 6'1/2"

Eye/Hair Color: green/dirty blonde

Starting Date of Weight loss Journey: Sept 22 2010

Starting Weight: 267

Present Weight: 263

Goal Weight: 195

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weight loss: emotional eating, portion control, snacking

Following any specific plan: portion control, exercise 4x week, counting cals

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Now (with online tools) am able to actually count cals properly. I think I always thought it was my metabolism.. now I realize I was actually eating TOO MUCH! lol

Anything else you would like to share with us: Happy to find a support group!
  • First name: Rhonda

Geographical location: Near Houston Texas

Marital Status: happily

Children/Ages: son 26, daughter 17, son 5

Pets: the overweight kitty in my avatar, "Stella" + 4 more cats! CatLOVER here

Hobbies/Interests: reading, playing bunco, socializing, internet games, tv shows

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color:blue-ish/ blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 9-13-2010

Starting Weight:276.8

Goal Weight: 145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Not CHEATING on my plan!

Following any specific plan: Ideal Protein

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Trying to catch up to my husband who has lost 60 lbs this year.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'm looking for a weight loss buddy that we can send text msgs and phone each other for support. Send me a PM if you're interested!
  • First name: Cathy

Geographical location: South Alabama

Marital Status: happily

Children/Ages: 2 sons.. 21 and 18

Occupation: soon-to-be job hunting after being a SAHM for 20 yrs.

Petsoberman and a little adopted terrier mix..also caring for MIL's lab and dachshund.

Hobbies/Interests: reading, photography, internet games, gardening, crafting,traveling, swimming... anything outdoors.

Height: 5'8"

Eye/Hair Color:blue/brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 9/5/2010

Starting Weight:278

Goal Weight: 180 (for now)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: staying away from sweets

Following any specific plan: calorie counting (daily goal 1200)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: The kids have moved out and hubby is doing this with me.. so I have support in the home. Counting calories this time (no food plan to stick to)...we have made a lifestyle change by eating healthy and exercising part of our day.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Like Rhonda, I am just looking fro some weightloss friends who are going thru the same thing and know the challenges we face... a txt buddy would be great too
  • First name: Alyssa

Geographical location: West Coast

Marital Status: Married 20 years

Children/Ages: 3 girls, 1 boy

Pets: 2 cats

Hobbies/Interests: Anything housewife-mommy related... and having a relationship with God!

Height: 5'5

Eye/Hair Color: Green eyes/brown hair

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: March, 2010

Starting Weight:185

Goal Weight: 130'ish (or less)?

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Caring about my weight!

Following any specific plan: Eating mostly vegetarian, exercising regularly

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I've never had to lose weight before. This is all new for me.

Anything else you would like to share with us: Dittoing what others have said, I'm really needing a place to talk, encourage, and to be encouraged in this journey. Since putting on weight for the first time in my life a handful of years ago, I've had the worst time even addressing weight loss. It's a new thing for me needing to hold myself accountable and remain focused.

I also wanted to say that I'm really thrilled to be here!! This is such an amazing group of people! You all are an incredible inspiration to me, and I hope I can return the favor whenever you need a or a little pick-me- up along the way.

Alyssa