The All New 40's Chat

You're on Page 7 of 26
Go to
  • hug: KAPPY
  • Hi y'all! We are back from Disney. I missed you.

We had a lot of fun, but I am ready to get back into my routine. I went to a spin class today and thought I would die. Did I mention that I signed up for a 3-hour spin-a-thon on April 19? ack!

I just finished watching TBL - I am so happy for Kelly. I hope she wins.

Bye for now - the laundry is waiting.
  • Ok, you can all yell at me after I post lol. I went to a friends house for dinner last night. She measured everything out for me. Knew exactly what I was eating and had everything written down. Now that is really supportive don't you think lol. This was all great. I went home and put it all into fit day. She didn't think about sodium. WOW my sodium for the day was 6000. Can you believe that 6000. I just did a weigh in yesterday and was down to 144 Yeaaaaa me. I had to go today and pick up some paper work so did another weight in ( hey why not ). OH MY GOSH I am up 2 pounds. Now I know that can't be real gain but I changed my ticker anyway. My ticker is how I am honest with myself. It changes when I do a weigh in at the docs office no matter what. I am sure that will come back down at my next weigh in but it sure taught me a lesson. I am going to have to be even more careful when I go to someones house to eat. She called today and laughed and asked how my second weigh in went ( she knows me lol ). When I told her ( and now I feel bad ) I thought she was going to cry. I said oh forget it, it will go back down. At least she sees how much sodium they take in all the time. Something good came from it. She said she is going to start watching the sodium intake of her family. I feel like crap today, wonder if it is all the sodium? I feel bloated and pudgy and just not feeling to great all around. Have a terrible headache too. I usually keep my sodium around 2400 to 2700

Ward
    You all look so happy. Glad you had a great time. Yes, it takes a bit to get back on track and exercise seems soooooooo much harder than it was when we get back to it.

Slash
    I just couldn't understand. I saw the pics ( saw some videos too ) and those people were doing all that with two hands. I couldn't figure out how to do it if I had 10 hands lol. It has been a rough year for a lot of people with all the sickness going around. All you can do is regroup and set new goals. Yesterday doesn't matter and neither do the goals we made. Today is what matters and what we can do for our tomorrows.

Clyde
    I have my sons iep coming up too. Doesn't get any easier as they get older, he is 21 and might get to graduate this year. We put him in a school for adhd and asbergers a couple of years ago. The school really has helped him the last couple of years. This is the same child that the regular high school told us would NEVER be able to pass the state tests and we should be glad he could be let go from the tests. I was expecting to much from him and them I was told. I said bull wacky, life doesn't just let you get out of things and they were not going to teach him to do less than his best. He has passes all but one test now and he just took that one again. What did they know.

lovn
    The gas prices have effected so much. I see the farmers around here and know they are having a tough time. I know family's that aren't feeding their children like they should because they have to spend the money on gas to get back and forth to work. Will keep you and the hubby in my prayers. It is a tough time for many and a really tough time for the farmers. When times are rough we really do find all we have is each other and as long as the wolf isn't at the door, ach other is really all that is important. Glad you and hubby had some time together.

I am going to rant a bit lol. Someone made a post on the site one time about how I don't have a life because I spend so much time keeping my house so clean. I am sure the people in the soup kitchen don't know about this since they get so many of my hours. Or the old people I bake for, or the help I give to the meals on wheels, or all the other things I do. Ok, I am having a poor pitty me moment and I deserve it. The comment not only hurt my feelings but it ummm ticked me off. I am very organized with my time and I am sorry if others can't organize their time. Heck I kept my house this clean when I worked 10 hours a day. When I went to college full time with two children to take care of under the age of 5 and when my father was dieing and I had to run back and forth to hospitals and doc appointments everyday. Ok I feel better now.
  • Ward: Great picture! Glad you're back. I know what you mean about getting back in the swing of things. It's always fun to go, but awfully tiring to be out of the routine. Good luck on the spinning! That is one tough exercise!

Rennie: Sorry you were hurt by something that was said on another post. No one should make judgements on what is important to someone else. Glad you feel better now. I have to take exception to one thing you said, though. I don't feel that I am "unable" to organize my time because my house is not spotless, although time is a factor because I work those 9-10 hour days. It is a matter of what is important to me. Having a really clean house is not important to me. I like it to be comfortable and not completely trashed out, but ultra-clean is not a big deal... to me. It is a matter of choice. There is no right or wrong in this, it is just a matter of personal preference. I hope that doesn't tick you off... I just had to defend myself a little! It is obvious in what you have written in the past that you are an incredibly generous and giving person and no one should question your hard work within your community as well as within your house. We all should be so lucky to have a neighbor like you.
  • Morning girls.

Well the rains have stopped. We had so much water around here, we were pumping water out of our crawl space for 4 hours last night.

Rennie that is good news about your son I hope he gets to graduate. H is going up to middle school after the summer. It's a new school, teachers, therapists, you know how that is. I don't know what will be ahead for her once she gets to high school and thereafter.
    It's amazing the ammount of sodium there is in foods. Those 2 pounds will be gone soon.
    to you Rennie don't let one comment upset you. I hope you're feeling better this morning.

I'm going to do my 5k this morning . I hope I make it around this town.

Will check in later.
  • Rennie, All I can say is, whoever made that post obviously doesn't read your posts very carefully. You are as busy and off in the world as any of us. Plus, most of the time you are out giving of yourself to others. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. We come here to receive support. I hope at this thread you feel supported. Great job on your weigh ins and your attitude. Yes, water weight will go away! That's terrific how you went to bat for your son. The rest of the world can be so patrinizing. Do they think we don't know our own children? Really, it's all about what's easiest for them. Your efforts have given your son opportunities. You go mom!

Diane, Try not to be hard on yourself. Maybe new goals are in order. You accomplish so much in your every day life. You work both inside and outside your home plus, you are a rockin' mom who is always there for her children. You're still in the game. That's what's important. This darn weather is getting to a lot of us. Hang in there.

Clyde, I hope all your daughter's tests went well. Do you know if we're suppose to post times for the 3FC 5K or just join or just post that we did it?!?!

Ward, Glad you had a good time. Good luck on your spin off. I've never tried spinning. I have no idea if there is even anywhere close to me that I could try it. Living in the middle of nowhere has it's advantages, but it's disadvantages as well.

Yesterday was pretty dull. Rain, rain, and more rain. That's what today is suppose to be like too. So, yesterday was all about laundry, dishes and cooking. DD throat is feeling much better. Thankfully! She is playing in a 3 on 3 basketball tournament tomorrow. I don't expect them to do much, but they will have good time. Neither my husband or I care for 3 on 3's, but she really wanted to do it with her friends sooooo. DS finally goes to state for the Knights of Columbus math test tomorrow too. He hasn't studied a bit so, I'm thinking it doesn't really mean much to him. My day will be spent running around. DH will be taking off work early, I'll be running DS to him so they can be on their way. A friend will be picking up DD and taking her to the tourney. SIL is going to watch her first game and I will be back in time for the second ahhhhh. Take me away! I thought the running was over until June. Pooo!
    You ladies have a great day!
  • Diane, I was posting at the same time as you. I too agree it's all about our choices and we should choose what works for us. Whether it's about housework or whatever. Some days I'm spot on and some days I aint. That's just the way it is and I can live with that, but everyone is always welcome here, clean or messy. That's what I care about.

Clyde, Water in the basement here again too. Your daughter's tests must have gone well. That is one of the advantages to small town life. My children will actually attend school in the same building with the same principal, councellors, etc 4K - 12th grade. I hope the new school works out for the best.
  • Hey Everybody
    Hey everyone! Newbie here, gtmerritt. I see that all of you seem incredibly sweet and dedicated to whatever life throws at you and I'm inspired by that. I live in Brunswick, GA where I have 4 children, 3 step and one of my own, but they are all my kids. I've raised my husbands children from small children and now they're all grown up. My oldest son is 25 (who blessed us with a beautiful granddaughter), My son is 22, my next son is 20 and my youngest, a girl, is 19. But you know what? They all come home now more than they did when they lived there...hmmm.

I've been overweight all my life and get it genetically from my mother. My mother has always been extremely heavy and had me dieting from the time I was in 4th grade...even though I really didn't need to be on a diet. I try not to think about all of that. But I've recently joined MRC and so far am pleased. I'm on my 4th week and have lost 12 pounds so far. My goal is 140 lbs. and they say it can be done by July 17th...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. As you have probably figured out...I'm joining this forum to gain support and strength as I go through this difficult process. It's a lifestyle change and I'm up to the challenge. I started off at 193 and I'm currently 179 so it seems to be working..plus I joined a local gym and work out 3 times a week in the mornings prior to going to work. I've found that doing that helps me get it over with and not dredding it in the afternoon. My husband and I ride bikes in the evening together and he's be greatest support. I'll tell you more about him later - it's a true "Oprah" story.

I look forward to meeting each and every one of you!
  • Welcome gt, I look forward to getting to know you better too!
  • Thanks Lovnmom.
  • Hi Gt nice to meet you.
  • Lovn I just got finished, actually did 5.2K. The weather is really nice this morning so it was lovely walking. Took me an hour. Looks like people are posting their times.
  • Hey all. Just to keep everybody updated. One department at work got their 60 day letters yesterday. Rumor has it a total of 1,400 nation wide. They have 60 days to find a new job or be laid off. My department sent out letters today, we have one week to decide if we'd like to voluntarily leave the company or not. After that they'll decide how many get 60 day letters. So it's a lot more of waiting. Can't make an educated decision because nobody is saying how many total from the company or each department is being let go.

Meanwhile I'm making a killing cleaning the office. We had packages of stickers so old they no longer stuck to the paper they came on. Rolls of typewriter address labels. Couldn't even begin to tell you where or if we have a blessed typewriter. We have dictation tapes but no dictation machine. Unopened mail from 1999. Why, WHY do people insist on keeping popped or rusted paper clips? It's not like tossing one is going to break the bank! I'm taking a break, if I keep finding this stupid stuff I'll pop a blood vessel.

Meanwhile I'm way behind at home. Need to fix the kids taxes tomorrow. For whatever reason I get home, sit down and wake up hours later. Then I have a bunch of housework I have to get through. Definitely not a natural when it comes to house cleaning, I have to really, really work it. I'm trying. Signed up for Flylady, sometimes it helps and other times it's just another level of stress. I don't know why sometimes it seems stressful and other times helpful. Which is sort of a long way of saying a whole lot of stress from multiple sources and not a whole lot of stress relief yet!

Hope you all have a great day, it will be a great weekend!
  • Oh Kappy. Hang in there! You've really got some stuff going on in your life. It is amazing what you find when you clean out in an office. The things that are never thrown away here are the binders. We have tons. Like we'll ever use them!!! I had to laugh at your thoughts about flylady. I thought I was the only one who found it to be an additional source of stress.

I hope you can find some peace soon! It's hard on you to constantly have stress.

Oh! Welcome to GT!!!
  • Who's flylady?