Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

Question Why dieting is so hard for me ???

I have a theory and wanted to ask for some feedback.

I am a self described workaholic, supermom, ocd, vegatarian ... type woman. I don't have any addictions, and I can usually tackle any task with little or no problem.

So I contemplated ... why is dieting soo hard?! It's just food.

Then it occurred to me. Dieting is eating in moderation.

After years of doing everything at 110% effort, doing anything in moderation is extremely difficult for me. I can starve myself. But I can't really just eat smaller portions.

Maybe I am just CRAZY

Is this an issue for others? How have you resolved?
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/155/145

Height: 5'11"

i think the older you get the harder it is to lose weight because of your metabolism and just the way your body works...

if you say you are a workaholic and a supermom your body could be really tired make sure you are getting enough sleep...and are well rested...being sleep-deprived has a big impact on weight loss
loveXhateXregret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
After years of doing everything at 110% effort, doing anything in moderation is extremely difficult for me. I can starve myself. But I can't really just eat smaller portions.
I think that's probably pretty insightful!

Maybe you could look at the eating in moderation as being type-a about dieting? If you're that type of personality, making menus, planning, counting calories or however you choose to balance your eating ... make THAT part of your lifestyle as the motivated, ocd-ish, type-a behavior.

Then eating in moderation is less what you're focused on, than the planning and execution of eating in moderation (if that makes sense).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #4  
:)

hey, i totally just posted this yesterday! haha!

i just noticed the same thing about myself yesterday, sometimes you get this "no pain, no gain" view of dieting, and you won't diet unless you're really going all gung-ho about it!

i feel your pain. being a perfectionist sucks, doesn't it? ;-)
samick0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

Height: 5'7"

Thanks all.

Hadn't though of being tired. But I am exhausted. Hmmmm. thx!

It's weird, tho. It's not trying to be perfect. When I plan menus and really go at it (I get ocd about dieting too) I start to obsess about food. I will fill my grocery cart with $300 of healthy food, then eat it and gain weight instead of losing.

The only thing that has ever worked for me in dieting is 1000-1200 calories a day (counting) or starving for days (water and lemons). I am hoping to learn from others - something that works that keeps me at a size 6 or ideally a size 4 (I'm a heavy 10 right now).

I look at how much wieght folks have lost and figure you must have the answer! Thanks again!!!!!
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote