Weight Loss Worries- Saggy Skin

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been hearnng so much about women my age who lose weight and find their sagging skin falling down towards the ground! I'm scared. I want/need to lose weight and I can't stop thinking about how I'd look as a sharpei. I'm not vain, I just don't want to feel like an ugly freak (like how I feel being so darn fat!)

I actually made my husband promise he'd help me pay for plastic surgery if (I should say WHEN) I lost the weight. We aren't rich and have two kids to put through college! Why do I even think I deserve expensive surgery?

I hope all these ridicuous thought are for nothing! I just need to get off the couch and get on the treadmill and pray for the best!

Anybody else have worries like that?
  • Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet, worry about about how your gonna buy all those new clothes you're gonna need. Your husband will love your new body, he loves you now. I hate my body right now I've got saggy boobs and no butt, and this apron stomache. I also know this is the best I have felt in 15 years. Some peoples skin shrinks with them. My husband doesn't mind, but I know if I won the lottery I'd be to a dr. Keep up the good work, you can do it,for your kids and be at their college graduation.
  • Becca - that is my fear, too - looking like a sharpei.
  • I have lost 66lbs since Oct. I am 43 years old and I dont have sagging skin. I exercise daily so I think that might help. Good luck in your weight loss.
  • Hi Wallsllaw
    Congratulations on your weight loss of 66 lbs!!!!!!! How wonderful for you!!! I agree with you about the exercise. I have lost 39 lbs. since November. I am worried about getting rid of my stomach. It seems to be the last thing to go. Lol Did you do a lot of exercise to get rid of yours?

Thanks,

Take care,

Catherine
  • I've lost about 100 lbs over the past year, and yes, there's a bit of the sharpei thing happening. (I'm 42, 5'10", went from around 270 to about 175.) I've been mostly maintaining for the past four months, and I think it's improved slightly during that time, but some areas (stomach and upper thighs mostly) are pretty saggy. Maybe they'll improve further, and maybe not. If I lose more weight, I gotta think it'll get worse.

Saggy skin sucks, but shopping for clothes at any store I please, fitting in bus and plane seats comfortably, and running my first 10K this weekend more than make up for it. I'm more willing to try new things, more confident, and just plain happier. It's easy to worry about potential downsides of weight loss, but I doubt you'd be on this site if you weren't convinced that losing the weight is worthwhile.

(And if you haven't already read it, there's a great thread on excess skin and surgery on this site - in the maintenance section, I think.)

Good luck!

Lore
  • Same worries!
    I too have worried about sagging skin, but am hoping for the best as I shrink my fat cells. If I can work up the nerve to go under the knife I will get a tummy tuck if needed because I am worth spending that money and you are, too!!

• I worry about that too. I have about 53 total to lose and I'm hoping I don't get saggy thighs or stomach. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, though. I think I'd feel better being thinner and healthier anyway, so hopefully, with exercise and water (to keep my skin healthy) I'll do ok.
  • What if there is only a little saggy skin is there anything else, besides surgery to get rid of it? Something that helps elasticity of the skin?
  • Quote: What if there is only a little saggy skin is there anything else, besides surgery to get rid of it? Something that helps elasticity of the skin?
    I have a little. I'm actually a 50-something so I probably would have some droopy things going on even if I wasn't losing weight. I've been using Nivea cellulite gel -hasn't done much for the cellulite and I don't know that I've been using it long enough to say for sure if it's going to help with elasticity but it does seem to be improving the texture of my skin - not so much of that crinkley, crepe-ey look anymore. I actually started using it on my eye bags and turkey neck too and I think it's helping. OR, there is a really good chance that just the good clean food, exercise, and tons of water are responsible for the improvements but I feel like I'm pampering myself when I'm massaging it in so what the heck
  • Excellent! I'll give it a try.
  • Hi Becca, Six ft 2 inches wow- my bet is you won't have saggy skin you have a lot of area for that 60 lbs to be distributed.
    Anyway the best thing is to cross that bridge when you come to it. Creams, moisturing won't do anything it is all about skin elasticity and collagen-genetics. Certainly weight training and exercise helps.
  • I have a friend who read that our bodies have collagen to keep the skin elastic. Well through research they found that the closest thing to collagen is taking Gelatin tablets and that will improve the skin, nails and hair for that matter. I guess it can't hurt !
    Suzy
  • At times I worry about this too. I will keep some of your ideas in mind, when that time comes.
  • I have sagging back and belly skin and an inner thigh sag ! I have talked with a few gals and they said toning really helps. I still fell jiggley with exercising etc. We need to keep up the exercise. I have seen in tv a slimming suit, that would be ok for winter months but the summer would be rough.