Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5' 5"

Default Low-carb snacks?

I try to eat low-carb/fat/calorie most of the time. I eat two slices of turkey bacon and a fried egg with garlic sea salt on it, I also use pam to cook the bacon and egg in. I eat a small salad(small plate out of a set of dishes, with two plates) with lettuce usually mixed with spinach, tuna in water drained with bout a tsp of Miracle Whip to some flavour to the tuna instead of just blah tuna, I usually eat 1/3 of the can, bout 1/4 of a boiled egg, 1/4 of a medium sized tomato, bout two tablespoons of cheese and two teaspoons of a low-fat Italian dressing. I usually eat this for lunch and dinner, it is actually really filling. This is usually my daily plan for food during the day, sometimes I eat something like chicken or turkey with a salad or sometimes some pasta that has been measured out for dinner.

But I usually start getting hungry an hour to a 1 1/2 hours till lunch or dinner or if I have to eat my breakfast super early due to early classes. Does anyone have any ideas that are mainly low-carb for a snack that would possibly keep me full for an hour at least? Thank you.
whitelikechalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

Do you like beef jerky? It's a lot of filling protein with low carbs/cals.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #3  

I do love beef jerky, It's just so expensive and I can't stop eating it most of the time.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #4  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

What about nuts? I love nuts! I think 15 almonds are like 100 calories or something close to it.
I always love a good veggie tray with dill yogurt dip, or ranch.
Someone mentioned boiled eggs, but you could do just the egg white.
Mini smoothie (frozen berries, yogurt & ice)
A slice of deli meat & cheese rolled up.
Most people don't think ever think about it but you can have a meal but on a much smaller scale for a snack.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Get some whey powder to make a protein shake or eat a greek yogurt or plain yogurt blended with blueberries.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Get some whey powder to make a protein shake or eat a greek yogurt or plain yogurt blended with blueberries.
Ive heard about greek yogurt what makes it different then other yogurts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
What about nuts? I love nuts! I think 15 almonds are like 100 calories or something close to it.
I always love a good veggie tray with dill yogurt dip, or ranch.
Someone mentioned boiled eggs, but you could do just the egg white.
Mini smoothie (frozen berries, yogurt & ice)
A slice of deli meat & cheese rolled up.
Most people don't think ever think about it but you can have a meal but on a much smaller scale for a snack.
I have thought about nuts, I've read a lot bout them. I read this PDF from a former Navy SEAL and he eats almonds for a snack. (he listed what his daily meals were) I only really like walnuts though, are those probably similar calories/carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Make your own? I bought 1/4 grass fed cow about a year and a half ago, and made jerky in a dehydrator. Since you like boiled eggs, you can do a couple of those as a snack. Or some cheese, if you do dairy. I find higher fat food keeps me satisfied longer, especially with protein. Greek yogurt? You can get the individual cups for convenience.
I do try to stay away from dairy products as much as possible since I have noticed it breaks my skin out even more then it does now. I think maybe i should try this greek yogurt.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I made asian meatballs tonight,

I mixed 1 lb ground ground beef, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vietnamese fish sauce (or another tbs of soy sauce), 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1 tsp minced dried garlic, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter, 1 egg, and 1/4 a package of peach sugar free jello.

I made a (not very low-carb) sauce by combining in a sauce pan a few tablespoons of soy sauce with the remaining jello powder, couple tablespoons of peanut butter, a couple tablespoons each of hoisin sauce, chili sauce and ketchup and a dash of rice wine vinegar.

I rolled the meat mixture into 1 to 1.5 inch balls, place on cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

I thought there'd be enough for dinner for hubby and I, and for snacks for me tomorrow (hubby almost never eats leftovers), but hubby couldn't stop eating them. I had a couple extra myself.

I'm also making ground beef jerky. I combined the ground beef with the seasonings tonight, and I'll roll it out tomorrow and put it in the dehydrator.

When I make my jerky from whole-meat, we eat way too much of it, but the ground beef jerky better than store-bought, but not quite so amazingly wonderful that we overeat it, as we do my whole-meat jerky.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-19-2011 at 01:25 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I made asian meatballs tonight,

I mixed 1 lb ground ground beef, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vietnamese fish sauce (or another tbs of soy sauce), 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1 tsp minced dried garlic, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter, 1 egg, and 1/4 a package of peach sugar free jello.

I made a (not very low-carb) sauce by combining in a sauce pan a few tablespoons of soy sauce with the remaining jello powder, couple tablespoons of peanut butter, a couple tablespoons each of hoisin sauce, chili sauce and ketchup and a dash of rice wine vinegar.

I rolled the meat mixture into 1 to 1.5 inch balls, place on cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

I thought there'd be enough for dinner for hubby and I, and for snacks for me tomorrow (hubby almost never eats leftovers), but hubby couldn't stop eating them. I had a couple extra myself.

I'm also making ground beef jerky. I combined the ground beef with the seasonings tonight, and I'll roll it out tomorrow and put it in the dehydrator.

When I make my jerky from whole-meat, we eat way too much of it, but the ground beef jerky better than store-bought, but not quite so amazingly wonderful that we overeat it, as we do my whole-meat jerky.
Sounds like a goood idea with the ground beef. Do you think possibly ground turkey would work well?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelikechalk View Post
Sounds like a goood idea with the ground beef. Do you think possibly ground turkey would work well?
I'm sure it would. I use ground beef, bison, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey interchangeably in recipes (and would use goat if it were easy to find - goat is my favorite meat. It's leaner, but tastes richer than beef).

I have never had a problem substituting one meat for another.

For recipes using browned ground meat, I use a mixture of meat and dry tvp (soy protein) granules - looks like grape nuts cereal. I brown the meat and tvp together with seasoning veggies (any combination of onion, celery, bell pepper, carrot and mushroom), and then add hot water or broth (in the same measure as the tvp - becasue tvp is a dehydrated product that needs reconstituting).

Usually I use at least 1 to 2 cups of tvp for every pound of meat. If I use more, hubby complains. The tvp picks up the flavor of the meat, so most people won't realize it's not 100% meat (everytime I make tacos for a crowd, I'm asked for the recipe, because the meat tastes good but not greasy).

Then I freeze the ground meat/tvp mixture in ziploc freezer bags, squishing around the bag every 20 to 30 minutes or so, so it freezes into crumbles, so I can use it in any recipe calling for browned ground beef (tacos, spaghetti sauces, loose meat bbq, sloppy joes, added to soups or for taco salads...)

I've even used chorizo and other sausages in place of the ground meat. With the tvp, it's still low-carb, but not quite as low as meat only - but it's a lot cheaper per pound, especially since the tvp is fat free I can buy fattier sale ground meat and by combining it with the fat-free tvp, end up with the equivalent of mid- to low-fat meat.

Unless I find a raw sausage at a tremendous price, I generally prefer to use an unflavored meat, because the spices in the sausages does limit the versatility a bit.

For a quick taco salad, I'll stir a few tablespoons of the ground meat mixture into some salsa, and microwave it until it's hot. Pour the mixture over a salad (lettuce, onion, tomato, a bit of shredded cheese) and add a bit of sour cream and stir. The sour cream blends with the salsa to make a salad dressing.

If I'm really missing the crunch of taco shell or croutons, I'll make a cheese cracker by microwaving a piece of cheddar or montery jack cheese (or a thin circle of shredded cheese) until it's bubbling and turning light brown all the way to the center. With a little practice, you learn how long you have to microwave it to get a cruchy "cracker," that after you cool for a minute or two, you can crumble into crouton-like bits.

There are youtube videos on how to do it, and I even saw one guy make taco shells out of them (I think that was on tv though, but there may be a youtube video too).

I've also microwaved crumbles to make "Big Mac in a bowl." I heated the beef mix and added it to a bowl of lettuce, cheese, fresh or rehydrated dried onion, and reduced-carb or low-cal thousand island dressing. I make my own with Hellman's canola mayo (about half the calories of regular mayo), a tiny dab of catsup, and a tsp of sweet or dill pickle relish or diced pickle).

I'm not usually a fast food fan, but every once in a while I get a craving for a Big Mac, and the salad (to me) is even better than the original (well, especially now that I realize I'm allergic to wheat - if I eat a real Big Mac I have a swollen, itchy, broken out face the next day).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-19-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #10  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Ive heard about greek yogurt what makes it different then other yogurts?

I have thought about nuts, I've read a lot bout them. I read this PDF from a former Navy SEAL and he eats almonds for a snack. (he listed what his daily meals were) I only really like walnuts though, are those probably similar calories/carbs?

I do try to stay away from dairy products as much as possible since I have noticed it breaks my skin out even more then it does now. I think maybe i should try this greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt is thicker, richer and creamier than regular yogurt. It's thick like the consistency of soft serve icecream or sour cream. I actually don't like regular yogurt but I do like greek yogurt.

Walnuts have 180 calories per ounce and 2 net carbs/4 total carbs. It seems like a lot of calories but walnuts are very good for you. I think they give you like 95% of your daily rda of omega 3's, and are high in vitamin E. Walnuts are great for diabetics and for insulin resistance. Walnuts are great for your heart too. I had some for breakfast with half a banana, I like to call it banana nut bread without the bread!
I do recommend weighing and measuring nut portions because from my experience I can get carried away with them sometimes and eat too many.

Last edited by hpnodat; 08-19-2011 at 09:32 AM.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I like to have a protein shake: 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup half&half, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 tsp Splenda, and 1 scoop protein powder --> blend together, and it is really filling and yummy!
another thing I like is turkey pepperoni - you can have 17 in a serving, and I also pair it with 1 oz of monteray jack cheese.
PS Raw walnuts are some of the best nuts for you to eat! I find it easy to go overboard though, so I always measure it out. They are fabulous when paired with an apple - bite the apple, pop in a nut, and chew together. Yum!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I'm sure it would. I use ground beef, bison, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey interchangeably in recipes (and would use goat if it were easy to find - goat is my favorite meat. It's leaner, but tastes richer than beef).

I have never had a problem substituting one meat for another.

For recipes using browned ground meat, I use a mixture of meat and dry tvp (soy protein) granules - looks like grape nuts cereal. I brown the meat and tvp together with seasoning veggies (any combination of onion, celery, bell pepper, carrot and mushroom), and then add hot water or broth (in the same measure as the tvp - becasue tvp is a dehydrated product that needs reconstituting).

Usually I use at least 1 to 2 cups of tvp for every pound of meat. If I use more, hubby complains. The tvp picks up the flavor of the meat, so most people won't realize it's not 100% meat (everytime I make tacos for a crowd, I'm asked for the recipe, because the meat tastes good but not greasy).

Then I freeze the ground meat/tvp mixture in ziploc freezer bags, squishing around the bag every 20 to 30 minutes or so, so it freezes into crumbles, so I can use it in any recipe calling for browned ground beef (tacos, spaghetti sauces, loose meat bbq, sloppy joes, added to soups or for taco salads...)

I've even used chorizo and other sausages in place of the ground meat. With the tvp, it's still low-carb, but not quite as low as meat only - but it's a lot cheaper per pound, especially since the tvp is fat free I can buy fattier sale ground meat and by combining it with the fat-free tvp, end up with the equivalent of mid- to low-fat meat.

Unless I find a raw sausage at a tremendous price, I generally prefer to use an unflavored meat, because the spices in the sausages does limit the versatility a bit.

For a quick taco salad, I'll stir a few tablespoons of the ground meat mixture into some salsa, and microwave it until it's hot. Pour the mixture over a salad (lettuce, onion, tomato, a bit of shredded cheese) and add a bit of sour cream and stir. The sour cream blends with the salsa to make a salad dressing.

If I'm really missing the crunch of taco shell or croutons, I'll make a cheese cracker by microwaving a piece of cheddar or montery jack cheese (or a thin circle of shredded cheese) until it's bubbling and turning light brown all the way to the center. With a little practice, you learn how long you have to microwave it to get a cruchy "cracker," that after you cool for a minute or two, you can crumble into crouton-like bits.

There are youtube videos on how to do it, and I even saw one guy make taco shells out of them (I think that was on tv though, but there may be a youtube video too).

I've also microwaved crumbles to make "Big Mac in a bowl." I heated the beef mix and added it to a bowl of lettuce, cheese, fresh or rehydrated dried onion, and reduced-carb or low-cal thousand island dressing. I make my own with Hellman's canola mayo (about half the calories of regular mayo), a tiny dab of catsup, and a tsp of sweet or dill pickle relish or diced pickle).

I'm not usually a fast food fan, but every once in a while I get a craving for a Big Mac, and the salad (to me) is even better than the original (well, especially now that I realize I'm allergic to wheat - if I eat a real Big Mac I have a swollen, itchy, broken out face the next day).
Thank you for all the great ideas. I always get a craving for fast food, it's hard to say no sometimes. The big mac idea is really good. I shall try it out sometime soon.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
Greek yogurt is thicker, richer and creamier than regular yogurt. It's thick like the consistency of soft serve icecream or sour cream. I actually don't like regular yogurt but I do like greek yogurt.

Walnuts have 180 calories per ounce and 2 net carbs/4 total carbs. It seems like a lot of calories but walnuts are very good for you. I think they give you like 95% of your daily rda of omega 3's, and are high in vitamin E. Walnuts are great for diabetics and for insulin resistance. Walnuts are great for your heart too. I had some for breakfast with half a banana, I like to call it banana nut bread without the bread!
I do recommend weighing and measuring nut portions because from my experience I can get carried away with them sometimes and eat too many.
I just bought some greek yogurt yesterday. I tried it just plain, I think it was pretty gross. haha. Today I am going to try and just blend some fruit with it and some fat free milk.

I also bought some walnuts, they helped a lot yesterday. I would just eat like a couple every few hours, helped me to stay satisfied.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthy07 View Post
I like to have a protein shake: 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup half&half, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 tsp Splenda, and 1 scoop protein powder --> blend together, and it is really filling and yummy!
another thing I like is turkey pepperoni - you can have 17 in a serving, and I also pair it with 1 oz of monteray jack cheese.
PS Raw walnuts are some of the best nuts for you to eat! I find it easy to go overboard though, so I always measure it out. They are fabulous when paired with an apple - bite the apple, pop in a nut, and chew together. Yum!
Could you buy protein powder at stores like Wal-Mart? your protein shake sounds really good, I would like to try it out. I've done the turkey pepperoni with some cheese before, its good. The price of the pepperoni is almost 6$ at the local supermarket around here and it's the only store that has it. ahh.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #15  

Quote:
I just bought some greek yogurt yesterday. I tried it just plain, I think it was pretty gross.
Even though I love many types of yogurt, I don't love any of them plain. I always have to add some type of sweetener or a sweet ingredient to counterbalance the tartness.

I especially have never liked yogurt a mayo or sour cream substitute (at least not without a lot of doctoring with spices, sweetener and other ingredients), and was surprised that I could use some in my ranch dip recipe.

Even the greek yogurt I'm not fond of plain, but iit was good in my ranch dip. My normal ranch dip recipe is

1 cup full fat mayo
2 cups sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream
2-4 tablespoons of ranch dressing powder mix (like Hidden Valley Ranch mix, but I buy it in bulk).

I substituted greek yogurt for half of the sour cream, and the dip turned out really good, but it was a little tarter than usual. I think if I used it in place of all of the sour cream, it would be too tart for my tastes.

Quote:
Could you buy protein powder at stores like Wal-Mart? your protein shake sounds really good, I would like to try it out. I've done the turkey pepperoni with some cheese before, its good. The price of the pepperoni is almost 6$ at the local supermarket around here and it's the only store that has it. ahh.

Yes, you can buy protein powder at stores like Walmart and Target, and at Walgreen's and grocery stores too. You've got to watch ingredients because some add a lot of sugar. I'm not really fond of the flavorings that are usually used, so I buy plain whey protein isolate (whey is the only ingredient). This also is often available in many stores, but it's often quite expensive.

I buy mine from a local cheesemaker. I like using it because I can add it to soups and meatloafs and other dishes too, not just smoothies.

You can also buy soy protein and egg white protein in many stores.