Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Banana flax bread

I made flax bread (see recipes in previous threads), added banana essence adn extra splenda - yum yum - banana bread with no carbs! I found this golden flax meal, so it doesn't look as "healthy" (as my husband would put it!). An awesome morning treat for me that I can grab as I run out to work!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #2  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetualdiet View Post
I made flax bread (see recipes in previous threads), added banana essence adn extra splenda - yum yum - banana bread with no carbs! I found this golden flax meal, so it doesn't look as "healthy" (as my husband would put it!). An awesome morning treat for me that I can grab as I run out to work!
Hi Perpet, I know you asked about this before but I have a question. What phase are you in? I am pretty sure that flax bread isn't part of phase 1 so I am just wondering, first where you got the recipe cause when I found the only recipe foccocia flax bread recipe and it definately isn't IP. I am just a little worried if you are in Phase 1 and are using that recipe. Please explain. Thanks.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

We had several people in 2010 who were told they could use the flax seed on a daily basis to help fight "the big C". A few of them figure out that it was about a slice of the foccacia bread and used it on a daily basis and did well losing.

It is definitely a "check your mileage" item. The flax is a high carb count item but, because most of the carbs are from fiber, you end up with about or less than 1 carb per slice of the bread. Essentially it has less impact than a restricted item. That being the case people did use it and opted not to have the restricteds as often or passed on the occasional veggies which, in some cases, can have up to 17 carbs per 1/2 cup serving
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #4  
start IP Feb 8 2011

thanks showgirlz was a wondering.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #5  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

I was wondering about flax seeds, I used to have a tbsp ground flax seeds daily with my oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast as it kept me regular. I have had C issues my entire life and ground flax seeds were the only thing that worked for me. Since starting IP I had given them up but keep on forgetting to ask my coach if I can start adding it back into my diet.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #6  

Yes, I was told a tbsp a day would be fine to add in. I used it in my blended smoothies and on top of the IP yogurt during my 3rd thru 6th month. During that range I was still losing about 18 pounds per month.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

What recipe are you using? Is this it?

Focaccia -Style Flax Bread

Ingredients:

* 2 cups flax seed meal
* 1 Tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
* 5 beaten eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup oil

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.

Nutritional Information:
Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #8  
3 lbs at a time!

S/C/G: 203/188/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Yes, I was told a tbsp a day would be fine to add in. I used it in my blended smoothies and on top of the IP yogurt during my 3rd thru 6th month. During that range I was still losing about 18 pounds per month.
Great news, thank you SO much!!! Going to have wildberry yogurt for lunch now. I love this IP meal.
YvetteSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

yes, that is the recipe I use. The flaxseed meal that I buy has 4g of fiber and no other carbs/2 tbs = as showgirlaz mentioned - it is less carbs than even non-restricted items on the diet. I use it as a restricted, because of the oil (or I just skip the EVOO for the day and count it as regular). I am in phase 1, I am still losing weight, even after I started making the flax bread. I make it in muffin form and it is a life saver!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #10  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetualdiet View Post
yes, that is the recipe I use. The flaxseed meal that I buy has 4g of fiber and no other carbs/2 tbs = as showgirlaz mentioned - it is less carbs than even non-restricted items on the diet. I use it as a restricted, because of the oil (or I just skip the EVOO for the day and count it as regular). I am in phase 1, I am still losing weight, even after I started making the flax bread. I make it in muffin form and it is a life saver!
do you buy a specific brand of flax seed meal? would like to have a tortilla or veggie sandwich once in a blue moon... Maybe this will help towards my goal and I wouldn't mind skipping a restricted if I can have a little bread... Thanks for answering.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Do you take this as part of a meal or as a snack? Would it replce a protein package?
Thanks,
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #12  

bump
Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #13  

I only used the bread on occasion. I happen to just like the simple ground flaxseed off a spoon (better than metamucil ).

I wasn't allowed restricted items while on IP phase 1, ever!, so, for me, I waited until my sixth or seventh month just as I was starting phase 2 and just made sure my other IP packets were the lowest possible on those days. I was really just making sure my net carbs were about 25 to 30 a day. I figured if it fit in that day I would have it.

I wasn't worried about the added protein from the egg, I need a bit more. I also didn't worry about the added fat. I was told to increase my fat and was still losing so, on days with the slice of bread, I would just go back to the more normal olive oil guideline.

I didn't not let it replace a packet, there just isn't enough protein in this to make that exchange. I also used it with a meal, usually in the middle of the day.

Again, I didn't do this everyday, I was using the ground flax seed by itself more regularly but, the bread was a treat on a very occasional basis for me.

Other people used it much more regularly but, I can't say how they did it or what they traded off.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-19-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #14  

Thanks, I made a loaf and had one slice today because of big C issues. I will only do this occasionally. I sliced and froze the rest of the loaf. I was thinking that loaf will last me forever.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Thanks, I made a loaf and had one slice today because of big C issues. I will only do this occasionally. I sliced and froze the rest of the loaf. I was thinking that loaf will last me forever.
If you want to have the flax seed daily I don't think it would be a problem. I was cautious with the bread because of the significant difference in added calories between 1 slice of bread vs 1tbsp ground flax.

I actually use to use the ground flax to "bread" my fish or chicken tenders. I would dip a piece of the protein in water or egg white and then drag through some ground flaxseed that I had mixed with salt, pepper, and spices. I would then quickly sear it in a hot skillet or bake it in the oven. It was a nice change and a good way to boost fiber in my diet.