General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Need advice - no references

I've decided to look for a new job... I've been with the same company for almost 9 years and was a temp at another place for 2 years before that. I was told not to list any jobs older then 10 years on my resume. My problem is that I don't dare use anyone from my current company as references and any other job I've had is to old! My job before this I was a temp... and even if I wanted to list older jobs on my resume there is no one that I worked for still at the other jobs!

My husband says my 9 years with the same company speaks for itself... but does it really???? Would you hire someone without references? I do have a really old letter of recommendation somewhere.. but at the same time I'm trying to move forward and this recommends me for a job type I no longer want.

Argh!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

How about personal references? Are you involved in any community things, events, kids school functions, etc?

I think a long tenure at a company speaks for itself. I've often wondered about this, though. You obviously don't want your current company to know you're leaving until you're actually leaving. Hmm. I'd be interested in what people say about this.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Why are you worried about your current job for referances ? Your old employer is only allowed, by law, to say if you worked there and when. They are not allowed to make any negative comments. A HR person told me this.On your resume you are giving job experience not referances.Remember when you are listing employers for your current employer jus the starting date - current ....such as 2002-current. Any prospective employer sees that you are still working there.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-19-2011 at 12:14 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Your current company is most definately not allowed to give you a negative reference, although they can refuse which would not be seen in a good light. As a resource manager, I would be more interested in you and the abilities that you have that would be benificial to my company. Sell yourself on your application form with these beneficial skills and don't worry so much about references.
JingerBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

Good luck with looking for a job. I got laid off due to outsourcing in April and have only gotten 1 interview. It is brutal our there. ANd I agree that you can use personal refs. Lots of my friends show worked with me also lost their jobs and we all list each other as refs because we were co-workers. I also think that workind for 1 comany for a long time looks great on a resume.
Lindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #6  

Aunty Jam, you have questions about your resume and referances, remember referances do not go on a resume. Your resume only gives job experience. You only need to provide referances when you get an interview and job offer, if they ask for referances, you don't need to volunteer that info.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-19-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #7  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I also didn't want anybody to know I am looking for a new job. I had some references from the job before and then I told them I can send some yearly reviews from the current one. I just blacked out my supervisor's name and send them. They are detailing my job and how I performed. Do you have something like that from your 9 years? We do mandatory reviews here every year and they get signed off by the supervisor and HR. If something is confidential (projects, names, etc) just use a sharpie. Usually people hiring are ok with that.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

josey - that's a good idea to use a performance review, I've never thought of doing that.

I use people I've worked with in the past that I am still friends with, and when possible, I try to get a current co-worker that I am friendly with and that I feel like I can trust. Even if it's not a manager, at least they can vouch that you work where you say and make some generally positive comments.

Employers can definitely give bad references but most companies have a policy against giving any references out of fear of being sued. So typically, they will limit the info to confirmation of your employment and the one question they will normally answer is whether someone is "eligible for re-hire" which just means you didn't get fired for cause.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #9  
Gotta run!

I'm not worried about getting bad references.. and I know better then to put them on my resume. I just didn't want to have none. I really like the idea of printing out my reviews... they're also older since my new boss hasn't done it, but it could still be usefull.

There is one person I used to work with that I'm still in touch with... as for current people I don't know, there might be one. I wonder if my next door neighbors would let me use them for a personal reference... I've known them all of my life. But I was always told personal references don't count for much... anyone know?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I went to all the trouble of having written letters of recommendation and a list of personal and professional references, and I have never yet been asked for them. Nearly every job I have ever had was through networking- I knew someone that worked there, or someone I knew recommended me to someone that worked there. Only the first job I ever got, at 15, was without networking.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #11  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I would only go with former co-workers too. I have terrible experience with back-then current co-workers. Never again.
I don't think it matters when the reviews are not current as long as you explain why (i.e. new boss etc).
In the resume I would just note "references available upon request". That is standard as far as I know. But be prepared for somebody to ask.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #12  

I wouldn't even worry about referances unless someone asks for them and that doesn't usually happen unless you are offered a job.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #13  
I think I can...

Hmm, all the years that I was responsible for hiring I can't recall once having called the references on the application. I was more interested in skills/relevant experience, longevity on previous jobs and personality of the applicant.
When I have interviewed for jobs employers have always been understanding about not calling when you are still employed. Don't stress too much.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Why are you worried about your current job for referances ? Your old employer is only allowed, by law, to say if you worked there and when. They are not allowed to make any negative comments. A HR person told me this.On your resume you are giving job experience not referances.Remember when you are listing employers for your current employer jus the starting date - current ....such as 2002-current. Any prospective employer sees that you are still working there.
Also wanted to add that you can put on the job application that your still employed there and check the no box where it asks if they can contact your employer.

Do you have any work friends you can trust for refrences? Also any close friends outside the work force are good, so long as you've known each other for more than a year.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #15  
Gotta run!

Thanks guys! And thanks for the great insight mzKiki