Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default It must be the salt- right?

It's been about 8 days since I've lost any weight. I've been exercising regularly, everyday for an average of 40 minutes (mostly cardio). I've been eating healthy foods, plenty of protein, averaging around 1250-1300 calories per day. Normally, this is the perfect combination for me, and it's never failed me- until now. According to my body bugg, I've created enough calorie deficit to have lost 3.5 lbs in this period, but so far, nothing.

But I've also been eating an inordinate amount of popcorn- about 10 bags over 6 days. I love light popcorn (150 calories in a whole bag) but I'm kind of a redundant eater- meaning I get on kicks where I'll eat a lot of one thing for a few weeks and then pretty much stop eating it at all for months (I once at tuna sandwiches everyday for a month ). I found this low-calorie cheddar topping, which also has a huge amount of salt in it. So I'm assuming it's the salt. I thought this might be the case, so I've been drinking a ton of water- 100 to 120 ounces everyday, minimum. But I've noticed I'm not peeing very often, so I've got to assume this is just water retention from all the salt, right?

Also, I know some of you will ask about TOM. I have the implanon birth control implant, which means I don't get "periods," I get irregular spotting. This is normal for the implant, but I totally hate it and plan to get it removed as soon as I get my health insurance back next month. Back before I had it, I would have my most frustrating weeks on the scale the week before my period, but now because of the implant I'm receiving more or less the same hormones throughout the month, so I kind of doubt that this stall has something to do with TOM hormones.

Thoughts? I really appreciate your opinions.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-19-2011 at 12:30 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #2  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

How long have you had the implant?

I only ask because I started BCP last month, and my weight loss patterns have NOT been at all the same since that time. My routine is very much like yours - similar exercise and calorie intake - and until recently I lost 2.5 lbs per week on average. I'd have a sluggish week here and there, but unless it was the week before TOM I'd generally see incremental movement downward on the scale each day. The only time my body would hold on to weight was that week before/at the start of TOM, and then the scale would just hold at the same number. Since starting the BC though, the scale just seems to sit in one spot all the time. I won't see any movement up or down at all, not even a tenth of a pound, for several days in a row. I'm not exercising as much yet as I used to (I was just cleared to return to exercise last week after an 8-week hiatus due to abdominal surgery), but I've been ramping it back up and still - no movement. I honestly think it's the BC.

Other than hormones, yeah, my next guess would be sodium. At least in the past, it could do a number on me at times (and at other times seemed to have little/no effect).

The good news is that hopefully you're in for a BIG whoosh when you body decides to let go of all that water you're hanging on to. It's very frustrating waiting for it to arrive though, I know.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #3  

Thanks Chickadee. I've had the implant for a little less than a year. It's not quite the same as the BCP (different hormones and constant supply of those same hormones- vs a week of the "period" pills in BCP). I've been on it long enough that my body isn't adjusting or anything, and I've had regular weight loss on it already. So I don't think that's it, but I added it into the info because I was sure people would ask me questions about TOM to see if that was the problem.

The weird thing is, I never really watched my sodium intake last time I lost weight, but I was OP for over 14 months and never saw a significant problem with it. Then again, I may be eating a huge amount of salt- more than ever before (I wish that I had counted the mg).
Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Maybe it is the salt. Maybe not. Weight loss is rarely linear.

I would also point out that the bodybug may or may not be accurate. Ultimately they are great for demonstrating how movement over time adds up to a lot of calories but beyond that they are based on forumlas that may or may not be accurate for you.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Maybe it is the salt. Maybe not. Weight loss is rarely linear.

I would also point out that the bodybug may or may not be accurate. Ultimately they are great for demonstrating how movement over time adds up to a lot of calories but beyond that they are based on forumlas that may or may not be accurate for you.
John- My weight loss is far too linear right now. It's a dead flat line . In all seriousness, I've lost over 120lbs in the past (a few years ago), and now I'm re-losing that which I gained back. So I have a pretty good grasp of what's normal for my body while losing weight, and I'm posting this because it's very abnormal.

As far as the bodybugg goes, I'm not expecting it to be accurate to the ounce, but I'd expect that if it estimates a deficit of 9,000 calories, it's not all that likely that I actually had a deficit of 0.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not sure how I could have completely botched the point I was trying to make but I'll try again. I really shouldn't post late at night but here we go again...

Yes - sounds like the salt is causing water retention. Water won't help mitage this because salt based water retention isn't a salt/water issue it is a salt/potassium issue.

By the way I wouldn't put too much faith into the accuracy of the bodybug. I'm sure you've lost fat but exactly how much is anyone's guess. The bodybug is great for tracking how movement affects calories but ultimately they are based on formulas that probably are may or may not be accurate for you.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

Did you just start exercising? I started a few weeks ago and my weight didn't budge for awile, I think you retain more water when you start?

It could be the salt, or you could just be alittle stuck. What always works for me, even though it sounds crazy, is having a higher calorie day. I don't know if my body needs things shaken up a bit or what, but it works and I drop a few pounds within a day or two.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I feel your pain. I was stuck, losing and gaining the same two pounds for almost three weeks. Finally, this week the scale went down. Stick with it, stalls are normal even when you are doing the same thing that has always worked in the past.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #9  

Height: 5'6

I know personally for me that whenever I eat a lot of sodium (and I do love my Goldfish pretzels, lol) that I hold a lot of water and don't um, pee as much...which leads to the scale going up. I really try to stay away from sodium especially around TOM because it also makes my stomach look bloated too. It sounds like it could very well be the salt but I'm obviously not a doctor. Hope this helps.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-19-2011 at 11:06 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I had some soy sauce with dinner last night, and I can already tell I'm retaining water because I've drank 70+ oz today with almost no effect. I also can tell through bloating in my fingers.

I also have the same reaction to popcorn. It stinks because it's one of my favorite snacks. Maybe if you switched to every other day it'd be better?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

OMG, i just typed out a long, thoughtful post, and it Dissapeared! UGGG

the cliff note version:

If you havent been restriccting sodium in the past (as you stated) than you prob arent retaining from sodium. Sorry, i know that was the easy fix, but people retain because they RESTRICT sodium to the extebt that they leave their electrolyte system REAALY unbalanced and extremely sensitive, THUS whenever they have ANY salt, they bloat up like a balloon

I think you are experiencing a normal plateau. Since this isnt your first time losing weight, your body is giong to metabolically adapt quicker this time than the first time... you may need to go lower, or tey cycling, or regular re-feeds... something different than what you did the first time, because its ALWAYS harder the second time

John was spot on re: BodyBugg. Basically, you have a glorified pedometer, because tracking movement is all its good for on you....... youve yo-yoed..... it honestly has no idea what you are really burning--- if it was accurrate, YOUD BE LOSING< RIGHT???!?!? ts wrong The bodybugg does not wok for you.... FOr SOME PEOPLE it is fairly accurate, but for a lot of people, it just ISNT, especially smaller woman, conditioned women, yo-yo dieters, overtrained individulas, people who quickly metabolically adapt... anyone whoes been dieting down for a LONG TIME aslready, before they got the BB...... it just isnt worh a thing, other than to track movement, which IS Useful info
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote