View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Panacea86

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Cravings can be huge, and you have to find a way to deal with it that works for YOU.

I'll give you an example. I'm not suggesting you do this, but it works for me. I was drinking alcohol. Not getting drunk, but I liked to have a drink or two every night. I don't like to get buzzed or drunk, so I think what I was actually craving was the alcohol sugars because when I'd decide to quit drinking what would happen is I'd start eating sweets instead. What worked for me was to promise God that I would not drink alcohol or eat sweets because I know these are empty calories. I have a moderate faith and so to me the idea of breaking a promise to God would be a big no-no. And for me, it works. In fact, the cravings don't even happen, it's like because I know it's not an option I simply don't crave it anymore. So each time I'm struggling with a lifestyle change, I use my promise-to-God method. I keep my changes one month at a time so that I don't make it a promise I can't continue.

Another thing that has been helping me lately is joining accountability groups. I recently re-started P90X and to stay motivated I watch the success stories on YouTube, and participate in 3 accountability threads (two on a forum and one on Facebook). I find that simply telling someone I'm going to do something makes me want to do it, so I don't feel like I fibbed.
Thank you for this! I don't have a faith system, but you have me thinking. A reward system could help...maybe say I won't buy something or watch a movie I had planned unless I go the week without binge eating.

I should participate in the weigh-in threads here, thanks again!
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote