Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #1  

Default My Sis told my Mom that I shouldn't be on "THAT DIET"! meaning Ideal Protein

I'm kind of ticked off. I was talking to my mom and she told me my older sister said I shouldn't be on Ideal Protein. I researched it and believe it is a safe, healthy diet for me. Why do people put it down?
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

My mother in law claims she knows "all about THAT diet". Are we related?
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

They are JEALOUS!!...you are doing what they can not or would not even think about doing! YOU made a choice to change, they on the other hand do not want to change and they don't like seeing the healthier YOU.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

They are thinking about the old low carb style of diets. Tell them your doctor doesn't agree with them.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I think patns is correct. I would never do Atkins with full fat dairy & bacon etc., this is good quality protein. Big difference.

* Just one more reason I am keeping the diet on the down-low. When people ask, I just say I am watching carbs and increasing lean protein and veggies. Don't want the "discussion" at this point. The diet is hard enough for me without naysayers!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #6  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Can I add something here? I read the IP plan here...certainly I don't know it in depth, but I can honestly state what I read here, I could never see myself sticking to it for any length of time because it is so restrictive. I'm not about to knock anyone's chosen weight loss program, but I know ME, and at this point in my life I'd rather do something less restrictive and more "family friendly" since I have to cook for others daily. That could be the "bias" that others see in the IP diet. That's all I have to add. Please don't be mad at me.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

1). They are jealous, like Wuv said
2). They do not really "know" the diet like they think they do
3). Unfortunately, IP is not as widely known and people do not "believe" in what they do not know. People know WW, JC, Atkins, etc... Most people have not heard of IP, and if they have never heard of it, then it must be malarky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Can I add something here? I read the IP plan here...certainly I don't know it in depth, but I can honestly state what I read here, I could never see myself sticking to it for any length of time because it is so restrictive. I'm not about to knock anyone's chosen weight loss program, but I know ME, and at this point in my life I'd rather do something less restrictive and more "family friendly" since I have to cook for others daily. That could be the "bias" that others see in the IP diet. That's all I have to add. Please don't be mad at me.
Not every diet is for every body. It is good that you recognize this and are doing an eating plan that YOU can live with. Myself and others have tried to explain that several times to some of the members, but they think we are attacking them. I know several people who have had great success on WW. I did not. Therefore, I concluded that WW is not for ME. Does it mean it is a "bad" program? No, it just wasn't for me.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
nothing but love on this thread!

I understand what you are saying, but I tried WW and in 3 months I only lost 3 lbs. I am post meno/hyperthyroid and traditional diets just didn't work for me.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

I've had a few naysayers...one actually told me that I was slowly killing myself! Funny how she never said that when I was shovelling copious amounts of crap into my mouth! She kept blathering on about my pancreas being an important organ (really???? perhaps she thought I was having it removed!!)

The people who count in my life have read Dr Chanhs books whether they are doing the IP plan or not. I know that they wanted to know more about why I wasn't eating fruits, healthy grains, nuts etc...so they educated themselves, because they care about me and know how important this is to me.

Sandy, I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this...sounds like mom needs to hear your side! Can you print off a copy of the book for her, so she can make her own opinion?
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone for your input! My mom is 91 and won't read the book! LOL. My sis is in good shape but has to workout everyday at her gym and watch what she eats (WW). I know the old way of thinking is that we are "balanced" since we aren't eating fruit and dairy. I plan on having my fruit and dairy in Phase 4!

I would never flame anyone about there honest opinion, Chicksinger. Thanks for your input too!
sandyh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

An off tangent question but I've wanted to ask this for awhile. Brummie, is that an actual dog or a cute poster??

pat

Last edited by patns; 08-17-2011 at 10:30 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #12  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummie View Post
I've had a few naysayers...one actually told me that I was slowly killing myself! Funny how she never said that when I was shovelling copious amounts of crap into my mouth! She kept blathering on about my pancreas being an important organ (really???? perhaps she thought I was having it removed!!)

The people who count in my life have read Dr Chanhs books whether they are doing the IP plan or not. I know that they wanted to know more about why I wasn't eating fruits, healthy grains, nuts etc...so they educated themselves, because they care about me and know how important this is to me.

Sandy, I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this...sounds like mom needs to hear your side! Can you print off a copy of the book for her, so she can make her own opinion?
The people who want to save us from our own choices also want to feed us cookies at work. There is so much bad information out there. Losing and maintaining are two very different things. For most people, the other diets will help people maintain, but aren't designed the right way to facilitate weight loss If it works for some people, great. But... I see so many people fail on other diets and so many succeed on this one.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
An off tangent question but I've wanted to ask this for awhile. Brummie, is that an actual dog or a cute poster??

pat
It's a stock picture I found online....but he looks just like my beagle baby (when he was a pup). I've been intending to update it to a real one of my little Buddy..thanks for reminding me!!
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

It seems like women often love to discuss and criticize diet plans! I shut it down from the outset by saying "my Dr. put me on this diet." Unless they're ready to pull their MD out of their pocket, they can't dis my diet!
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #15  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

At only 53% of my goal, I get asked "How much more are you planning on losing?" "You look great, why would you want to get skinnier?" all the time now. I have told no one other than my coach how much I have lost......I use the percentage line always. When asked what am I doing and why so restrictive, I just tell people the truth. I am reprogramming my pancreas. Most people don't care to know what that means and those people don't mean that much to me either. I hope they can soon see how happy you are and how you made the right choice for YOU. They just don't currently understand the path you're on....... Stay Strong!

Forgot to add......About 6 years ago, I went on a strict diet and began working with a personal trainer. At the same time, my older sister chose to have gastric bypass surgery (grrrr). For every 10 lbs I lost from a 1200 calories diet and 2 hours in the gym EVERYDAY, she lost about 20 lbs doing "nothing" (at least that's my opinion). My mother never once commented on my weight loss but just could not keep saying "Oh, just look how good B looks" "Have you see B lately, I so proud of her". Needless to say, my feelings were hurt very badly and I honestly have not fully recovered from that "unloved trauma". She has not seen me the new me yet. I'm expecting a "are your OK?" comment. And BTW, B never learned how to control her food and she has since gained a large portion of her weight back. We all make our own choices. Sorry to have vented that, but I think that pain has been lurking and today was a good day for it to be released. Hopefully, I can make it disappear in the not so distant future.

Last edited by gettinmygrooveback; 08-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
gettinmygrooveback is offline   Reply With Quote