Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #1  
~ I Know I Can ~

Post Wanting to join OA - but a little nervous

I have been wanting to join OA for a while now. I know I want to go, and I know I need it, but I can honestly say that I am nervous.

I tend to be a shy person in larger groups of people, and I do not talk much. I'd love to come out of my shell, and just be me around everyone, but I have a hard time with that.

Could anyone tell me what the meetings are like? What do they do? What types of things do they discuss? On average, how many people are in a group?

I want to just pick up the phone, and call them, but like I said, I am really nervous about it.

Can anyone answer any of my questions above? Maybe it will help me make that one phone call.

Thanks,
~ Kari ~
Old 05-19-2003, 01:49 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Hi Kari....
First off...I want to say that you are an inspiration to me. Wow...keep up the good work on the weightloss. I am impressed. I was reading some of you journal...and it seems you have come a long way since that first journal entry

Well...I will try to answer some of your questions...I joined OA in the fall of 2001, about 9 months after my first son was born. Now...are you not still doing that weightloss plan anymore (I forget what it is called)? Because it really seems to be working for you? But anyways....let me start off by saying, I did not stay with my program. But, while I was on it...I did loose about 20 lbs. Anyways...you attend meetings in your area. They suggest 3x a week. They are FREE (which is nice for a change) ANd the meetings are set up like AA meetings, you know, the 12 steps of recovery. You find a sponsor...who you call every morning. She gives you a diet to follow..ooops, I mean meal plan. Typically, it follows a NO STARCH, NO SUGAR, NO FLOUR. It is not easy...but neither is loosing weight any way. They beleive that if you stay away from these things...you become abstinent.

Each meeting is about someones "journey" and it is very inspirational. They believe in a "higher Power" be it God, Buddah, Jehovah...whom ever. They beleive that weight loss is a mind, body and SOUL...thing, which it is. And they make it clear that you take what you need from these meetings. Anyways..I am sure everyones experience is different.... as I said, I had success...but found it difficult.

I did learn, however, that I do have a disease...and that is compulsive overeating. I also got a couple of great books...that have helped.

Anyways, good luck...and keep up the great work
Old 06-20-2003, 12:20 AM   #3  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Unless the sponsor is following Grey Sheet or HOW, you can pick a food plan that suits your needs. The strict food plans are for people who are sugar addicts or have "allergies" to sugar.
This may not be your case.

You're sponsor is there to guide you through the 12 steps and it's assignments. You call her once a day or maybe the evening before and commit your food.

It's a great program if you are willing to work it.

Hope this helps.

Raffaella
Closed Thread